PDA

View Full Version : Long billets short billets

aahunterjumper
Mar. 2, 2011, 06:22 PM
Can a dressage saddle with short billets have them swapped for long billets? And vice versa for rider preference?

cutemudhorse
Mar. 2, 2011, 08:06 PM
I believe so. I asked my saddler (Bill Wood) about it. It does require the saddle to be taken apart enough so that he can get to where the webbing holds the billets to the tree.

Gloria
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:15 AM
Yes. You can have it swapped from long billet to short, or vice versa. Depending on how your saddle is constructed, you may or may not need a saddler to do it. The billet of my saddle is attached to nylon webbing, which in turn attaches to the tree, so if I want to change billet, all I need to do is to unsew it from the webbing and attach a new one.

As to preference, it's hard to say. It's easier to adjust girth while mounted with short billets (for me at least) but it's less bulk under my thigh with long billets... Though it is harder to find long enough black girth to match your black saddle if you have short billets. Nowadays most dressage girths are made to go with long billets.

aahunterjumper
Mar. 3, 2011, 06:02 PM
Thank you! I knew someone here would know!

carolprudm
Mar. 3, 2011, 06:32 PM
As to preference, it's hard to say. It's easier to adjust girth while mounted with short billets (for me at least) .

LOL true but easier to tighten long billets from the ground if you are short