PDA

View Full Version : New Tredstep Tall Boots

mg
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:50 PM
Got the new Dover catalog and noticed two styles of gorgeous Tredstep tall boots! I see SmartPak is featuring them in the new products section as well.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstepandtrade%3B-donatello-field-boots/p/X1-380038/cn/1407/

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredstep-da-vinci-field-boots/p/X1-380037/cn/1407/

These look GORGEOUS! Especially for the price. I've never had Tredstep products myself, but have heard wonderful things about them.

So...how about the new tall boots? Does anyone have these yet and have any feedback?

Emmas Hot Brass
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:52 PM
I have a friend who has them and showed in them the other weekend... she LOVES them. they reminded me in person of the Ariat Monacos... I was shocked to hear they were only $250... I'm buying some (after I get my paycheck)

apparently theyre a BREEZE to break in, too.... i agree... they're GORGEOUS! :D

emwhit52
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:56 PM
I love, love, LOVE my Tredstep half chaps and am in the market for some new tall boots as well. I have almost worn through the leather on my Ariat Crown Field Boots. They are, thus far, the most comfortable tall boots I have ever worn that weren't custom.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has worn these Tredstep boots as well. They look very nice (especially the Donatellos) and the price looks even better!!

caevent
Mar. 2, 2011, 03:53 PM
Oooh, I might have to quit my Mountain Horse addiction and try these the next time I'm in need of new boots.:yes:

caffeinated
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:06 PM
huh. Might have to try these out, but I can't find the size chart anywhere? Am I just blind?

I have wacky legs (why I like the tredstep half chaps... TONS of size options, even though my last pair has had some problems, they at least fit well), so I need to know exactly what "regular" and "medium" means...

mg
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:09 PM
huh. Might have to try these out, but I can't find the size chart anywhere? Am I just blind?

I have wacky legs (why I like the tredstep half chaps... TONS of size options, even though my last pair has had some problems, they at least fit well), so I need to know exactly what "regular" and "medium" means...

Smartpak has them!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9485&cm_vc=Search

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=9484&cm_vc=Search

though I swear I saw slightly different numbers on the size charts in the Dover catalog (then again, I've found errors on their size charts before, so who knows). Tredstep doesn't appear to have them on their website.

scubed
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'm waiting for them to make dress boots. I've never liked field boots for some reason

Creaghgal
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:37 PM
Too bad I got dumpy ariats just last year... eBay? Do I hear a bid????? :lol:

I'll wait for dress boots.

KateKat
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:47 PM
WOW, I love those! I was wondering when Tredstep was going to come out with something.

I'm curious if anyone has seen either of them compared side by side. I actually like the looks of the Donatello (cheaper) one better. Hmmmmm.....

caffeinated
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:07 PM
I'm curious if anyone has seen either of them compared side by side. I actually like the looks of the Donatello (cheaper) one better. Hmmmmm.....

I do too, but looks like the other ones have more sizing options, heh.

RacetrackReject
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:22 PM
I was all excited until I saw the sizing chart. *sigh*

I double dog dare someone to make an inexpensive boot that is over 20" in height.

Lori B
Mar. 2, 2011, 06:07 PM
Sizing woes....

My tredstep half chaps are beyond beautiful, but they ran on the snug side of the proclaimed measurements. I'm going to take 'em to Outback and see if they can make them fit me. They zip, but it's like stuffing a sausage casing. (such an attractive image, I know)

ltmac
Mar. 2, 2011, 06:54 PM
A close eventing friend of mine had a pair of Tredstep tall boots and after two months of just about daily use, they stretched out and turned a yucky gray-green color. She could no longer use them for competition use and now they are her barn/work boots.

On the other hand, my hunter/jumper friend who doesn't ride every day (and when she does it's not multiple horses!) has had a pair that have lasted nicely for almost a year.

Just my two cents!

aidan196
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:43 AM
Hi there all,

I am from Tredstep and was sent the link to this conversation about the new Tredstep Boots. I thought I might be able to help clear up any confusion and answer any questions you may have. The new boots are truely great and have some really exciting features which help them flex and perform like no other. We have never made tall boots before but felt that after 20 years experience we had alot to offer. It is hard to explain in words how great they are without sounding like I am blowing our own trumpet, the only way to find out is to try on a pair and then you will feel and experience the difference. Let me know how you get on

caffeinated
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:29 AM
A close eventing friend of mine had a pair of Tredstep tall boots and after two months of just about daily use, they stretched out and turned a yucky gray-green color. She could no longer use them for competition use and now they are her barn/work boots.

Are you sure she didn't have "treadstones?"

I don't think (and the other post confirms it) Tredstep has made tall boots before.

paintmare
Mar. 3, 2011, 10:06 AM
I just saw them in the new Dover catalog too. I'm in the market for new tall boots, but I need something that will hold up for everyday riding of two horses plus shows (and still clean up nice). They have to be comfortable as I walk around a lot in them too.

.natalie.
Mar. 3, 2011, 12:16 PM

I double dog dare someone to make an inexpensive boot that is over 20" in height.

Agreed!! I am impossible...size 11 foot, wide calf, and 6' tall. Boots either seem to come in the width I need, OR the height I need, never ever both. So frustrating, since I know there are so many others out there with the same problem. If Tredstep offered the variety of sizes in tall boots that they do in half chaps, I would be beyond thrilled!

bigbaytb
Mar. 3, 2011, 02:30 PM

I second that!

ltmac
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
Are you sure she didn't have "treadstones?"

I don't think (and the other post confirms it) Tredstep has made tall boots before.

Oops! I'm so sorry, I believe I mixed them up! Thank you for clearing it up.

LSM1212
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:13 PM

They look really nice... but I have the opposite problem. I need them shorter! I have a really short calf compared to my foot and calf size! Wonder how much they would drop?

mg
Mar. 4, 2011, 01:10 PM
SmartPak is offering free shipping on Tredstep tall boots. Promo code FSTRED (expires 3/17/11).

MelanieC
Mar. 4, 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Aidan from Tredstep -- do you know if there are any plans for similar dress boots? Thanks very much!

*Trinity*
Mar. 4, 2011, 07:03 PM
I've been very intersted in the Tredsteps, too! They look really nice, but nobody in Canada is carrying them yet. Knowing the tack shops here, they won't catch on for another few years.

Just for the record, I bought Treadstone's just over a year ago and they still look brand new. I love them. They fit like customs, are soft yet durable, VERY comfy, and have a quality zipper in them (unlike Ariats!). I don't use them often, though - just to show/lessons/clinics and for sales horse videos/pictures/viewings. I certainly don't wear them for barn work or chores and I don't believe ANY tall boot should be worn for such. That's not what they're made for! All that said, the colour on the toes have worn to a grey-ish colour, but a little polish now and then does the trick.

Aidan, can you tell me the differences between the two Tredstep boots that makes the price so drastically different?

lwk
Mar. 4, 2011, 07:21 PM
I second that!

And I third that!
5'11" tall, 16 1/2" calf. Need boots well over 20" tall.

Big_Grey_hunter
Mar. 4, 2011, 11:25 PM
These are by far the closest measurements I've found to what I need! Calf is still too big though :no: MaybeI will just work out a ton and bulk up my scrawny legs :lol:

I know you can stretch the leather, can you shrink it?

Jersey Fresh
Mar. 5, 2011, 06:11 PM
Does anyone know how soft these boots are? I'm a bit weary of the full lining as my experience has been I cant feel my leg on the horse...

Dry Clean Only
Mar. 5, 2011, 06:46 PM
Sizing woes....

My tredstep half chaps are beyond beautiful, but they ran on the snug side of the proclaimed measurements. I'm going to take 'em to Outback and see if they can make them fit me. They zip, but it's like stuffing a sausage casing. (such an attractive image, I know)

If you can bear to suck it up for a few rides they will.stretch out on their own. Mine have grown a few pounds with me over the years :D

I LOVE my Tredstep half chaps, I am notoriously abusive to things and have not managed to kill them. I rode, bathed, climbed through snow mud etc. in mine for probably 3 solid years of being in the barn 4-6 days per week. They still feel great now with intermittant use. I can't wait to try on a pair if the field boots!

Gracington
Mar. 5, 2011, 07:46 PM
From reading the descriptions, it appears only the lower priced pair has the stretch panel? Can anyone confirm this, much appreciated. Thanks!

Fancy That
Mar. 15, 2011, 06:49 PM
Bumping this back up to see if we hear from more folks who have ordered them.....

I'd like to upgrade from my schooling-quality Ovation Field Boots.

Comfort is KING for me....sounds interesting that they break-in easily

deltawave
Mar. 15, 2011, 06:56 PM
Y'all talked me into ordering a pair . . . anxiously awaiting their arrival! :)

Fancy That
Mar. 15, 2011, 07:02 PM
Y'all talked me into ordering a pair . . . anxiously awaiting their arrival! :)

Jealous!!!! Post back on this thread one you get them/wear them :)

Emmas Hot Brass
Mar. 15, 2011, 10:16 PM
If I wasn't about to pay for unexpected vet bills, I would be getting a pair for shows, in time for our eventing debut in may! But, instead, I will just covet yours, deltawave. terribly jealous!!

Frizzle
Mar. 16, 2011, 12:25 AM
I ordered them, too! As I mentioned on another thread, I had just ordered the Mountain Horse Venice Field Boots and they were very nice but the ankles were ginormous and made me look like I had big ole cankles. :lol: So, those are headed straight back to Dover and I already ordered the Tredstep boots (the $249 pair) from Smartpak (thanks so much to whoever posted the free shipping code!!). I'll report back as soon as they arrive & I've had a chance to wear them. I haven't worn tall boots in YEARS, so this should be interesting!

daisy_chain
Mar. 20, 2011, 12:41 AM
i'm so tired of my bottom of the line, saggy, baggy, Ariats (though they are comfortable and have unfortunately worn like iron) that I opened the latest Dover catalog intending to splurge on some really expensive boots...

But then I saw the tredsteps and actually liked them better than the der daus or sergio grassos! Please someone report on how they look, my bank account will be so grateful :)

SuperEventer
Mar. 20, 2011, 08:49 AM
I ordered a pair from Smartpak, but unfortunately, they're on back order. :( I won't have them in time for Poplar. Oh well, I'm still totally stoked to try them!

Larbear
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:20 PM
Bumping this thread to ask questions about the fit of the new Tredstone boots.

I tried a pair of the the DaVinci's. The fit of the boot seemed odd to me. It was a regular calf size I tried on and although the foot size was a bit big (I would've needed one size smaller), it seemed to fit ok in the ankles. As I was zipping them up, they were really snug when I got to my calf muscle and then got pretty loose as it zipped to the top. I mean I could push on the side of the boot before it would make contact with my calf and I could stick my whole hand into the top of the boot. I was thinking that I needed to drop down a size but now wondering if I'll be able to zip it up past the the start of my calf muscle.

I've never owned a pair of zippered boots before so I don't know...is this normal? that said, I have horrible horrible zipper karma, are the zippers pretty rugged? I'm guessing tall boots without zippers are becoming extinct :(

Desert Topaz
Jun. 13, 2011, 04:51 PM
I've had my Donatellos for two weeks. So far, I love them. They look and feel like they should be much more expensive than they are, to the point a friend has already ordered her own pair. The foot seemed big at first, but as they've broken in I haven't noticed it as much. It's a little effort to get the zipper over my calf, but once it's zipped it's not uncomfortably tight. They haven't dropped a lot, but they are pretty new still. And they come with inflatable boot trees :D

deltawave
Jun. 13, 2011, 06:14 PM
I really like mine as well. Very, very soft, supple leather, quality is great. They didn't break in as instantly as my old Mt Horse ones did, but they are also a much closer and sleeker fit. For the price they are a great pair of boots.

KateKat
Jun. 13, 2011, 07:09 PM
do you find the footbed to run pretty true to size? How much have they dropped? Relatively close contact feel with your horse still?

I'm specifically interested in the Donatellos, since they are so attractive for cheap!

deltawave
Jun. 13, 2011, 07:38 PM
Yes, the size seems to be right on in the foot. I've worn them in 3 dressage tests and one SJ round so far, so they're still pretty much new. No dropping yet.

Larbear
Jun. 14, 2011, 06:41 AM
I really like mine as well. Very, very soft, supple leather, quality is great. They didn't break in as instantly as my old Mt Horse ones did, but they are also a much closer and sleeker fit. For the price they are a great pair of boots.

Did they they fit sleek all the way up your calf and just a tad loose at the top? I'm going to try a smaller size but it was tough as it was to get the zipper over the start of my calf in the bigger boot.

gahawkeye
Jun. 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
I tried them on last weekend. Lovely boot, but they were a bit 'gappy' at the top, despite a nice snug fit for rest of my leg. Any tighter and I'd probably risk zipper failure.

As the sales person said: "I'm a custom boot candidate", unfortunately my wallet doesn't think so.

deltawave
Jun. 14, 2011, 12:19 PM
Nope, pretty snug from top to bottom actually. I just bought the normal or regular calf, and I think if I wore really thick breeches I'd have a tough time zipping them, but they are not loose at the top. I have fairly long legs and decent calf muscles.

Larbear
Jun. 14, 2011, 03:13 PM
I tried them on last weekend. Lovely boot, but they were a bit 'gappy' at the top, despite a nice snug fit for rest of my leg. Any tighter and I'd probably risk zipper failure.

As the sales person said: "I'm a custom boot candidate", unfortunately my wallet doesn't think so.

Yes, that was my experience...you said it much better than I did ;) 'gappy' is exactly it. Sigh...like you my wallet says no to custom boots as well. Crud. My current tall boots have a hole/tear at the start of the calf...can these be salvaged? I'm guessing duct tape isn't going to hold up well (fix 'em the Red Green way!).

*Trinity*
Jul. 13, 2011, 10:05 PM
Bumping this up to ask how the Tredstep's are holding up for those who ordered them - both the Da Vinci and Donatello!

I looked at them briefly at Rolex (now wishing I had tried them on) and the Donatello's looked very similar to my Treadstone Tuscany's, both in quality and style. I loved my Tuscany's until recently - the leather has deteriorated to a hideous grayish green colour and they are no longer show worthy. They still fit wonderfully and are comfortable, but I'm upset at the dye quality. The Donatello leather looked/felt so similar that I'm more interested in the Da Vinci model, for this reason alone. I'd love to hear about both, though!

deltawave
Jul. 13, 2011, 11:40 PM
Mine are sadly grounded until I get a new horse! :lol: My "show" boots never see the light of day until it's time for my test/class/round. :)

Desert Topaz
Jul. 14, 2011, 09:42 AM
My Donatellos are doing well. No problems with them.

kashmere
Jul. 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
How is the leather in terms of stretch? I'm right in between a slim and a regular (14.5") and am unsure whether it's better to risk a slightly loose boot or a slightly tight boot? Any thoughts?

Rollie Pollie
Jul. 14, 2011, 03:37 PM
I always go for slightly tight (unless you cross the threshold into calf-throbbing) because they always stretch a bit. Worst comes to worst, you can buy the boot stretching spray.

Desert Topaz
Jul. 14, 2011, 06:53 PM
I probably should have bought the larger size calf, but have not regretted the tighter size. Getting them I have to carefully zip, but once they're on they don't feel tight. They're definitely not cutting off the circulation in my leg like other boots I've had that were hard to get on. I attribute that to the stretchy panel.

shmon
Jul. 14, 2011, 11:58 PM
I am also a 14.5" calf and went with the slim/tall Da Vincis. I honestly thought there was no way I'd be able to zip the 14" up when I first got them, but with heel lifts and a ribbon to help pull the zipper up (more leverage) I was able to get them up. My feet fell asleep within about 2 minutes! I just rubbed vogel conditioner on the inside of the calf, wore them as long as I could stand it, unzipped them to give my legs a breather, and then zipped them up again. Did that for about 3 nights for an hour or so each night, rode in them once, and took them to a show and they fit like customs! It really hurt at first, but it was so worth it since they are perfect now.

kashmere
Jul. 15, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks everyone! If I can find a place that can ship to Canada, I might end up ordering a pair in the near future.

eta: Just realizing now that they may end up being too short! What's the drop like in these?

shmon
Jul. 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
I went with the talls - I have an almost 20" knee-to-floor measurement - and they dropped maybe 1/4" so far. They still rub the back of my knee a bit so they could probably even go a little more. It's a pretty true height measurement, not including the heel.

eventer_mi
Jul. 16, 2011, 03:23 PM
Bumping up this thread as I, too, have bought the Donatellos. I absolutely dread zipping up into my Mountain Horse Supreme Riders, so as I was in the tack store (for something completely unrelated, go figure), I wandered over to the boot section and tried on both the Donatellos and the DaVincis. The biggest difference between the two seem to be an extra little tab that snaps over the bottom of the zipper, right at the back of the heel - guess that's for protecting the zipper? I dunno - both the nice salesgirl and I couldn't figure out what else was different, as the leather seems to be the same on both. Anyway, I went with the Donatellos - I wear a 7, 14.75" calf, 17" height, and the 6-1/2 - 7, 14.5" calf, regular height, fit perfectly. I was wearing some baggy breeches and wool socks, and these zipped up pretty well. The 15" calf zipped up too easily. There is a stretch panel the length of the boot, as well as a little gusset at the top, so it fits me perfectly the entire length of my leg. And the leather! Oooh, yummy - sooo soft. Oh, and they come with inflatable boot "trees" and these heel lift inserts, which I actually like as I have a very narrow heel but wide ball of foot.

So, definite thumbs up! I was doing the happy dance in the tack shop and I could wear these all day. Totally worth the price.