PDA

View Full Version : Freeze Branding Race Horses?

knightrider
Mar. 2, 2011, 12:28 PM
Curious why I'm starting to see race horses being freeze branded on the neck now? Saw one on the Canter website and then a neighbor just got an OTTB who is freeze branded with an ugly big number on its neck.

Whats the reasoning behind this? Is it a new trend? Why are they making the brands so big and noticeable? Might not look so bad if they would be concealed by a mane like some of the Arabian type breeds?

Is there an issue with theft? Or is it only be done on big farms with big herds?

Will we see more of this?

tarynls
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:24 PM
I know they freeze brand Standardbreds on the right side of the neck, but I've never seen or heard of a US-bred OTTB being anything but tattooed.

Australian TB's are freeze branded if they are to be submitted into the stud book.

caffeinated
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:39 PM
As far as I know, this is a quirk of one fairly high-volume local breeder in the Charles Town area.

jenarby
Mar. 2, 2011, 08:19 PM
Yep, I have one. He is WV bred. Big herd...lots of babies...taking the easy way out to identify them.

judybigredpony
Mar. 2, 2011, 09:05 PM
John Mckee Beau Ridge...got several..some not branded some are...mare # corresponds to foal #...

tradewind
Mar. 2, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have one bred in Texas that is tatooed and branded. His brand is an R with a half circle under the R. It is on his right shoulder. He is definitely a TB. He has a race record and his papers. I was surprised when I saw it, and every time a new vet, or farrier etc sees it, they are surprised too.

bits619
Mar. 3, 2011, 12:30 AM
I ride a TB with a big ol' number on his neck, too. Right side, halfway up, about 3 inches tall. It's kinda a shame because he is GORGEOUS and the number is distracting, but at the same time, it makes him 'him' at this point :) :) it's there to stay, so i may as well love him for it!!

The thought was maybe he was part of a colt study, but maybe he just came from a breeder that did that. Ooooh the (unknown) history of these horses.

Muleskick
Mar. 3, 2011, 01:42 AM
John Mckee Beau Ridge...got several..some not branded some are...mare # corresponds to foal #...

Judy is correct, she has several. That breeder has been doing it for several years. They are the only ones I know of, thank goddness.
The Texas branding of horses is a long standing tradition due to them grazing on open range in the "old days" (some ranchs do still graze on vast open property), they just never stopped doing it.

Polydor
Mar. 3, 2011, 01:57 AM
Australian TB are branded on both shoulders. Personnally love it! Makes id so much easier. When I go back to Canada I still find it weird to see a horse without brands.

You see some pretty cool brands and some brands that make you shake your head especially when you find out what it's suppose to be! lol

P.

thathorse
Mar. 3, 2011, 02:31 AM
polydor, as a supressed artist, i gotta ask. what are the cool brands? what leave you shaking your head? lol

Polydor
Mar. 3, 2011, 04:26 AM
I will see if i can find some pics of them . One of the main ones on the farm is UFO :D , big star with a letter inside.

Odd one would include a blob that kind of looked like an outline of australia which is actually suppose to be 2 horse heads :S .

Will see if i can get pictures of since they are hard to describe.

P.

judybigredpony
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:24 AM
I ride a TB with a big ol' number on his neck, too. Right side, halfway up, about 3 inches tall. It's kinda a shame because he is GORGEOUS and the number is distracting, but at the same time, it makes him 'him' at this point :) :) it's there to stay, so i may as well love him for it!!

The thought was maybe he was part of a colt study, but maybe he just came from a breeder that did that. Ooooh the (unknown) history of these horses.

Whats his JC name or tattoo #

DeeThbd
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:49 AM
I have one bred in Texas that is tatooed and branded. His brand is an R with a half circle under the R. It is on his right shoulder. He is definitely a TB. He has a race record and his papers. I was surprised when I saw it, and every time a new vet, or farrier etc sees it, they are surprised too.

A dear, late friend of mine had a really nice OTTB who she used to pony with - I am pretty sure he had a heart-shaped brand with a number in it, and I THINK a second brand on his shoulder as well. IIRC, he was from TX too (but made his way up here to ON - she may have bought him in FL)
Dee

jenarby
Mar. 3, 2011, 02:39 PM
Here is mine....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/jenarby/Vegas5-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/jenarby/tuff3.jpg

Barbara L.
Mar. 3, 2011, 05:13 PM
Jenarby:
That is one cute horse! The numbers just add to his cuteness, I'd say. Great little body on him...you are very lucky!

jenarby
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:59 PM
Thanks Barbara. I figure it will definitely stir up some interesting conversations at shows. I only do local or unrec mini trials and hunter paces but I still like to braid my horses....so it will definitely be visible.
I don't usually change their show names from racing names to something else...but a few people said I should show him under "Hey Nineteen" after the song. I'm thinking I just might do that!

jengersnap
Mar. 4, 2011, 09:39 AM
He's a really cute horse, Jenarby! What a neat show name that would be too. My chestnut mare has a permenant large scar on her hip from a trailer accident when she was young. The scar tissue flakes and will always be there. I am careful about it in the summer and put Vitamin E and/or sunscreen into it since scar tissue doesn't deal with the elements as well as normal hide. I also have a standardbred with a breeding farm freezebrand on her neck, similar to the 19 your boy has. Its very white on her black neck, but under her mane. They do make a spray on type scar concealer that comes in common coat patterns that would likely cover up that freezebrand if you wanted to. Its by Shapley's.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/productclass.aspx?productclassid=6239