PDA

View Full Version : Ride-a-Test

NCSue
Mar. 2, 2011, 09:16 AM
I'm considering turning my schooling show into a ride-a-test since entries are small. I know that the competitor rides the test, the judge scores the movements, and gives feedback. Does the competitor re-ride the entire test? Does (s)he get new scores for each movement?

islgrl
Mar. 2, 2011, 09:35 AM
My understanding is yes, then the rider re-rides the test and is scored again...

wsmoak
Mar. 2, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yes. Generally you ride the first test, and instead of exiting, come up to get some feedback from the judge.

Then you ride the entire test again and hopefully improve your score.

The one I scribed for kept the riders coming, so rider B was circling the ring while a rider A was getting feedback, then A went back to warmup for 1-2 rides before coming back in for the second test.

The judge gave all the scores for both tests, but did not write comments in the collective area the first time because they were given verbally. No verbal feedback for the second test other than perhaps a, "That was much better!" from the booth.

mimiwenk
Mar. 2, 2011, 10:13 AM
The ones (2) I've done. I rode the test, the judge gave me suggestions and had me work on those specific issues a bit, then I went out, reentered and rode the entire test again.

Valentina_32926
Mar. 2, 2011, 11:22 AM
Personally I think it would be cool if the audience could hear the feedback to the rider so people could take notes - more angle on SI right, SI left was good angle, etc...

It would promote audience participation and help the riders "helpers" (& trainers) take notes on what the judge would like to see.

netg
Mar. 2, 2011, 11:30 AM
The one I've seen, the judge was extremely generous with her time. The times weren't set in stone like at a normal dressage show, and riders could go in when they felt ready within a general time range for each level.

At the end of the ride the judge would stand and talk to the rider for as long as necessary with advice, using the test with many comments (and a frazzled scribe trying to keep up!) The rider could then turn around and come back in, or go in the warmup and practice advice. The second ride went like a normal test - ride in, ride, get your scoresheet later.

You will be doing a huge favor to the riders in your area if you do this and have a judge willing to be so generous with her/his time and thoughts.

SillyHorse
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'm considering turning my schooling show into a ride-a-test since entries are small. I know that the competitor rides the test, the judge scores the movements, and gives feedback. Does the competitor re-ride the entire test? Does (s)he get new scores for each movement?
Are you planning to incorporate it into the competition? I've seen and ridden in ride-a-test clinics, but the scores have never been for competition. That might be very cool -- placings for first rides, and then for second rides.

NCSue
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:42 PM
Are you planning to incorporate it into the competition? I've seen and ridden in ride-a-test clinics, but the scores have never been for competition. That might be very cool -- placings for first rides, and then for second rides.

I'm playing with the idea. I've always scheduled my schooling shows with enough time for the judge(s) to give personal feedback after each competitor's ride but have never allowed them to reride the test. Since this is proving to be a fairly small show I thought it would be fun, educational, and encouraging. I'm very flexible as to time allowance. How much time would you allot per ride - 30 mins? I want competitors to go home with something concrete. I still need to place each class. Not sure how I'll do that. Open to ideas. I will have to come up with some special gift for my scribe(s). LOL!

dotneko
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:51 PM
As a matter of fact, that is exactly what we
are doing at my farm next month.
The riders ride their tests in front of me,
the auditors sit with me and hear all scores and
comments.
I work with rider on problem areas.
Auditors can ask questions.

It is a great learning experience.
Dot

dotneko
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:53 PM
Forgot to mention - I have done this with
Pony Clubbers. Have them do tests (maybe
three riders in a row) Everyone else sits with
me. I give comments and ask THEM to tell me
the score based on my comments.
By the end of the day, they are right on.

sophie
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:58 PM
I LOVE these! The barn where I board my mare for the worst of the winter holds a couple of Ride-Review-Ride "shows" in the winter. I can't remember if the last score was the one you kept, or if both scores were averaged. In any case, it's great, you learn a lot, and you get to ride your test as if in competition. When I rode, the judge was very generous with her time and her comments. It was like having a mini clinic/lesson before getting to ride the test again.
I think 40 mn would be better, but it depends on the judge and the number of participants.

lorilu
Mar. 2, 2011, 06:02 PM
Our club has done them in the past. Rider rides the test, gets feedback and a short lesson, then riders the test again. About 30 min per ride. The lesson was more than just feedback.... it was a real mini lesson to work on specific issues related to the test.

SillyHorse
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:44 AM
We did a straight ride-a-test last year, allowing 20 minutes per test (ridden twice). It worked out all right, but this year we are expanding the time to 30 minutes to allow the "R" judge more time to do what she loves most -- teach.

If you want to award ribbons, maybe you could do it according to who has the biggest % improvement between the two tests.

shawneeAcres
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:50 AM
Sue, when placing in a ride-a-test, generally you place the FIRST test scores and the second one is not placed.

SillyHorse
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:20 AM
Not meaning to be contrary or argumentative, but she can do it any way she wants to. It doesn't have to be the FIRST test that's scored.

mtngirl
Mar. 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Absolutely some of the best learning you can get! I did this twice with Max Gawhler (sorry, I can never spell his name right) and found it to be very helpful.

If I remember correctly, I think one ride-a-test clinic/show allowed 20 minutes, and the other one did 30 minutes. Some of the best money I ever spent.

NCSue
Mar. 9, 2011, 07:22 PM
Sue, when placing in a ride-a-test, generally you place the FIRST test scores and the second one is not placed.

This is what I'm choosing to do as this is also a schooling show. Using the first test score seems to me to make the playing field a little more even. I am thrilled that the judges I have are excited to be offering feedback. Weather looks terrific for Saturday. I really want all the competitors to leave with something useful. Thanks everyone for all your wonderful thoughts.