PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland for ottb shopping??

skip916
Mar. 1, 2011, 11:39 AM
A friend and I are going to closing day at Keeneland and spending thurs-sun at Rolex as well. She is looking for an OTTB so we thought we might find some prospects to look at while we are there. We plan on bringing the trailer up with us and cash as well so we can drive back to GA with new horse if we find something suitable.

I have never been to Keeneland and have no contacts in that area or on the track. My ottb came from ohio and that is where my contacts are.

Anyone have any suggestions about who might have horses available or good contacts in the area? We are of course, willing to drive out to farms as well, if that's is what we need to do.

This will be her second OTTB and she is looking forward to finding a new partner for foxhunting!

Feel free to PM me if you have any info you don't want to post on here!

Pronzini
Mar. 1, 2011, 12:07 PM
Keeneland is a pretty high level track, on par with Saratoga or Belmont. You are unlikely to find anything terribly cheap there because the owners always have the option of moving to an easier circuit.

That's not to say it is impossible but there are probably better places to look for your needs.

keepthelegend
Mar. 1, 2011, 12:21 PM
West Wind Farm in Lexington has lots of New Vocation horses. www.westwindky.com

Including this gorgeous Derby runner!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=728592941&aid=373517

Acertainsmile
Mar. 1, 2011, 02:49 PM
You may also want to take a trip to the Training Center in Lexington, not far at all and you will probably find more horses than you know what to do with.

pinkdiamondracing
Mar. 1, 2011, 02:58 PM
Keeneland is NOT the place to shop for an OTTB-- but if you travel to the TTC-- that's a horse of a different color, and it's possible you could fill your trailer for under $5000!!!!! Seriously!!! Business is bad for the lower-end trainers there and some of them are definately looking to unload a few!!!

skip916
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:04 PM
thanks so much for the info so far- i figured we wouldn't actually be looking at anything AT keeneland, but was hoping to be pointed in the right direction for the area from there since we want to see the races friday and since we will be in the area all weekend- i think now we are adding an Ohio leg as well if needed, since its such a short drive up 75.

keep the suggestions coming! we don't want to drive back to GA with an empty trailer!

spotted draft x filly
Mar. 2, 2011, 05:57 AM
Trainers at Keeneland now are looking to unload horses. One of the trainers had approached me a little while back looking to find homes for two of his horses. One was a young filly that could even race if you wanted to race her. I would suggest going there in the morning while their working out and asking around. I'm sure there's a few of them who are looking to make room at there farm for new prospects.

luvmytbs
Mar. 2, 2011, 12:00 PM
You could also check out the CANTER Kentucky trainer listings. The horses are located around Keeneland/Lexington or within easy driving distance.

http://canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_alphacontent&view=alphacontent&Itemid=342

Hounds
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:35 PM
You might also consider stopping by the TRF's Secretariat Center at the Kentucky Horse Park to see if they've got something suitable.

ReSomething
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't, myself. Not to say anything about Keeneland one way or another, just I'd stick with the track where I had contacts, or figure out where the trainers that I had contacts with were running and go there.

ETA I'm no judge of OTTB so you might consider Victory Haven also, it's north of town off of Russell Cave.

olympicdreams04
Mar. 4, 2011, 12:20 AM
I second Keeneland and Victory Haven. I work with CANTER KY, tho not as heavily as I used to work with FLTAP. I always know of several OTTBs for sale and can more than likely send you pictures and descriptions as the time gets closer, have a vet on call of PPEs, and direct you to other local contacts that might have horses for sale. We also maintain a few sale horses on the farm that are a bit more expensive but very nice. If I can help you, please let me know.
Lauren
LMN Racing
LMNRacing@gmail.com
615 969 8994

skip916
Mar. 4, 2011, 09:44 AM
thanks so much for all the suggestions and possible contacts. i have been scouring CANTER KY and haven't found anything yet, but hopefully there will be more coming available soon.

i am all for a quick trip up to ohio as well and have the person i bought my mare from on the lookout for me!

@pinkdiamond- my main concern is just "showing up" somewhere without a contact person seems scary to me. i don't want to step on any toes or be in anyone's way. i looked at the TTC website and i think that might be a good place for us to start but i'm not sure how to actually get in as a "customer" and not a "tourist". any suggestions?

@lauren- i will be in touch asap!

thanks again for all the good advice!

keepthelegend
Mar. 4, 2011, 01:06 PM
I have a 2 yr old out at the training center and could take you around if you wanted. I am sure there are a lot of horses available out there.

skip916
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:15 PM
update:
we have scoured the KY CANTER listings and trainer listings and have a few things to see while we are there.

headed to keeneland for fri morning early and breakfast at the track kitchen and hopefully to get pointed in a good direction for possible sale horses.

also hoping to get into the TTC and look at what might be available!

even looking at two on private farms that aren't OTTB's, but the OTTB's are really what we are looking for.

we will be there from thursday evening until sunday afternoon- if anyone knows of ANYTHING for sale that is sound enough to foxhunt, fun, forward and less than $2500- please PM me! we don't want to miss anything!

thanks again for all of ya'lls advice! i don't know anyone in lexington!

smilton
Apr. 25, 2011, 12:52 PM
I'm heading there Wednesday and then to the opening at Churchill. I'm going out to several of the training centers to look at horses that are in training out there. If I hear of anything I'll send a PM. I usually get offered a few when I am there but I don't take a trailer. The Inn is full at home.

skip916
Apr. 25, 2011, 04:25 PM
thanks smilton- i would appreciate it if you see anything worth a second look! :)

brightskyfarm
Apr. 26, 2011, 01:59 PM
I suggest you go through the listings on Bev Strauss's website. She has some wonderful horses, nicely started, that are in your budget range...more than ... lots left over for a new winter blanket And Summer fly sheet.

http://www.midatlantichorserescue.org/Adopt_me.htm

smilton
May. 2, 2011, 06:08 PM
This was the first year I had been approached by people with giveaways at Keeneland. I'm glad I didn't have a trailer.