PDA

View Full Version : USEF/USDF membership confusion..

ASBnTX
Feb. 28, 2011, 02:28 PM
Can someone please help me with my membership confusion? I'm wanting to try and qualify for regionals this year and saw on the USDF that myself and my horse need to be USDF and USEF members, correct? I think my horse needs to be a lifetime USDF member even. I joined for this year through our GMO, but I think that was just my annual individual membership -would that not include my horse? :confused: Is there not a combo membership that I can get through either USEF or USDF that would kill two birds with one stone?
I'm starting to appreciate schooling shows more and more! :)

merrygoround
Feb. 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
Nope! You join the USDF, and you join the USEF. The membership through your GMO is not a Participating membership in the USDF.

By the time you get done paying all your separate memberships, and registering your horse, you won't need to worry about showing. You'll be broke. :rolleyes:

ASBnTX
Feb. 28, 2011, 02:59 PM
Oh no...so whatever membership I have through my GMO doesn't even count as my USDF participating membership??? Ugh...

atr
Feb. 28, 2011, 03:31 PM
That is correct. Participating membership is yet another fee.

I'm expecting to be asked for separate USDF and USEF memberships for my saddle next. Maybe then followed by each glove...

ASBnTX
Feb. 28, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hmm...so I'm out $350 before I even get started...lovely!

jcotton
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:29 PM
After you have lifetime registered your horse in both USDF & USEF, then annually it will be only for your memberships in USDF & USEF. So it gets cheaper later.

dwblover
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hahaha, loved that comment about memberships for both gloves atr!!! SO true, spurs are next!

carolprudm
Mar. 1, 2011, 07:51 AM
Nope! You join the USDF, and you join the USEF. The membership through your GMO is not a Participating membership in the USDF.

By the time you get done paying all your separate memberships, and registering your horse, you won't need to worry about showing. You'll be broke. :rolleyes:
:eek::lol:

netg
Mar. 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
I was confused about memberships, too. Our secretary sent me this helpful (sort of!) link:
http://www.usdf.org/competitions/competitors/membership-checklist.asp

If you contact someone within your GMO they may be as helpful as our secretary was, too - the link was a starting point, but I still had other questions for her!

LarkspurCO
Mar. 1, 2011, 10:33 AM
What is GMO please? I can only think of "genetically modified organism."

Sandy M
Mar. 1, 2011, 10:44 AM
And if you want to do All Breeds, you usually have to be a member of your breed organization as well to be eligible. I don't bother about regionals, so I only have USDF registration for my horse and just an ID # from USEF. So, whoopee!!, my annual dues are only about $200 (ONLY, riiiiight).

My budget ends up four lessons a month, no shows or two lessons, one show. Sigh.

Gloria
Mar. 1, 2011, 12:14 PM
What is GMO please? I can only think of "genetically modified organism."

Group Member Organization: USDF affiliated dressage club. Go to http://www.usdf.org/clubs/gmo/ to get more details. They are local dressage clubs where you can join to obtain USDF membership. They offer much of the same benefit as if you are to join directly to USDF but not always.

ASBnTX
Mar. 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
:lol: So if I get my horse lifetimed in both organizations (I believe USDF it's mandatory for regionals but not in USEF, or vice versa) and get my breed registry current for this year, it'll only cost $600 to participate this year! :eek: We haven't even started talking about the costs of rated shows yet...that's all new to me too.
I'm not sure what GMO actually stands for, but it's your local USDF affiliate or chapter. For example mine's the Dallas Dressage Club.

ASBnTX
Mar. 1, 2011, 12:23 PM
I really feel like the phrase "in this economy" is quite over used, but in this case... Have the fees been going up or down the past few years? This is really a hard expense to justify, especially if we are heading towards $4-5 a gallon gas, and we'll be tacking on travel expenses to get to shows on top.

atr
Mar. 1, 2011, 01:37 PM
GMO = group member organization, as in Rocky Mountain Dressage Association. GMO's can have chapters which are basically subgroups of the organization.

yaya
Mar. 1, 2011, 02:07 PM
For regionals, your horse must have lifetime registration with USDF, and either annual or lifetime recording with USEF. You cannot have just an HID from either organization if you want to qualify for regionals.

Equi88
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:58 PM
And not to forget that there is an extra fee for those qualifying classes if you do make it to the shows!

I usually start renewing my memberships in the beginning of November. I do one a month (GMO, USDF, USEF, Breed), that way it doesen't hurt quite as much.... :no:

LarkspurCO
Mar. 1, 2011, 11:47 PM
Group Member Organization: USDF affiliated dressage club. Go to http://www.usdf.org/clubs/gmo/ to get more details. They are local dressage clubs where you can join to obtain USDF membership. They offer much of the same benefit as if you are to join directly to USDF but not always.

Thanks. I'm an RMDS/USDF member but was not familiar with the GMO term. Too many darn acronyms to keep track of!