PDA

View Full Version : Trainer for the "Willful" Youngster? CA

HanoWB88
Feb. 27, 2011, 05:12 PM
I have a friend with a greenie who may need a braver trainer. He has always been strong and pushy on the ground, even with good, consistent ground handling and training. Now that he has been started undersaddle he is doing a lot of testing which was sort of expected because of his temperament. Saddle has been checked and he's even been scoped for ulcers, negative. She is thinking about moving him because his current trainer seems to get scared when he acts up (won't move forward, tail swishing, kicking out) some bucking, no rearing yet. Any suggestions for a trainer anywhere in Northern CA who is SOLID with youngsters without ruining them? This gelding is dressage bred, but she just wants him forward and accepting. He is very talented but seems to think he's the boss. I think he was meant to be a mare. PMs are fine. TIA.

thatsnotme
Feb. 27, 2011, 05:31 PM
Don't know how far up north you are but I can't say enough about Lou Moore-Jacobsen in Paso Robles. She would be worth the drive for me no matter where I was. She is WAY patient, has been starting colts and working with troubled horses for years. She has a huge 'tool box' (of knowledge-not actual tools). I've never seen or heard of her doing anything negative and she always gets amazing results. Not a fancy place, but safe. The horses all learn respect, patience, etc. She shows and events herself so she understands the value of forward and on the bit.

HanoWB88
Feb. 27, 2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks, sorry I know CA is a big place. I think anywhere north of Modesto up past Redding is fine, but I'll check with her. Thanks for the suggestion and I will pass on the info.

jenm
Feb. 27, 2011, 05:59 PM
I HIGHLY recommend Rachel Williamson who trains out of the Stanford Red Barn in Palo Alto. I have seen her work miracles with difficult horses, including mine. My mare was started late, and was willful, anxious and nervous. Since Rachel has been working with her, she has become a whole new, lovely horse.

Please let me know if you would like her contact information.

Another trainer I would recommend is Sue Wirgler up in Shingle Springs just outside of Sacramento. Sue works with Jerry Tindell who I think is absolutely amazing.

http://www.susanwirgler.com/

jcotton
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:01 AM
I recommend Bethe Mounce in San Ramon. She is very patient and determined.
She is fair and understanding with the horse. She has loads of experience with youngsters and older retreads.

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:27 AM
Christiane Noelting in Vacaville. Great care, beautiful facility, very knowledgable woman. www.christianenoelting.com

Also Susan Garmier at the Woodland Stallion Station in Woodland. She is a fabulous trainer, all the horses she gets in love her.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:22 PM
All in the Northbay:

Kelly Prather at Chocolate Horse (www.chocolatehorsefarm.net)
Lee Webster at Blue Chip Stables (www.bluechipstables.com)
Phoenix Farm (www.phoenixsporthorses.com)

I have personal experience with all of the above an can whole-heartedly recommend them. :D

goeslikestink
Feb. 28, 2011, 02:09 PM
I have a friend with a greenie who may need a braver trainer. He has always been strong and pushy on the ground, even with good, consistent ground handling and training. Now that he has been started undersaddle he is doing a lot of testing which was sort of expected because of his temperament. Saddle has been checked and he's even been scoped for ulcers, negative. She is thinking about moving him because his current trainer seems to get scared when he acts up (won't move forward, tail swishing, kicking out) some bucking, no rearing yet. Any suggestions for a trainer anywhere in Northern CA who is SOLID with youngsters without ruining them? This gelding is dressage bred, but she just wants him forward and accepting. He is very talented but seems to think he's the boss. I think he was meant to be a mare. PMs are fine. TIA.

go to a dressage trianer you can find some accredited ones on any club or assocaition or society linked to the FEI find one that can use two schoolling whips as this wills ort the horse out as all he can do is go forwards and less likel to buck
as you pushing him from behind up into the bridle and the horse will go forwards as he cant concentrate on two whips being used so wont do naughties

as at the mo hes got everyones no and knows it so hes napping the other thing to do is take him off all grain and just feed him hay as this will clam him down and make him easier to handle

as most people will over feed a younsgter and not realising whats in the feed and often give them high energy feedstuffs which given hes young and has little or no work yet its just feeding his bonks and amking him hot to handle and ride

once people have got him working properly then slowly re intro duce the grian if he needs it as if little or no nergy then increase the grian if to much drop it back
always start youngster off on cool mix of low nergy feeds stuffs

learn feeds and feeding and learn which each one does
also read the back of the feed packets for what they contian so your not over laoding him or underloading with feedstuffs

spring grass is comming through so dont worry about not feeding him
as long as he has good quality hay and an amount for his size and weight then he can live on the hay and grass alone until shes mastered him then once she has introduce small meals and trial and error it till she got a happy medium she can work with

bigdreams
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:09 PM
Erin Patricio is in the Sacramento/Elk Grove area. I can't recommend her highly enough. If she had started my horse we would be in much better shape now! Her website is: http://www.erinpatricio.com/Home_Page.html

mbm
Feb. 28, 2011, 05:40 PM
lots of the trainers mentioned are good, but I would recommend Marc Rijpens (www.mrdressage.com) he would ride the horse himself (no WS doing the work) and has extensive experience working with youngsters, difficult horses etc etc.

check out his website for more info :)

goodpony
Feb. 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
Micheal Etherly-excellent with young horses and stallions. http://www.michaeletherly.com/

Bethe Mounce
Mar. 1, 2011, 02:48 AM
I recommend Bethe Mounce in San Ramon. She is very patient and determined.
She is fair and understanding with the horse. She has loads of experience with youngsters and older retreads.

Awww...thanks Jenn. Have one or two in my barn at the moment just like this fellow! Willful youngsters I know TOO well! :)

Fillabeana
Mar. 1, 2011, 11:30 AM
Send horse and friend to a Bryan Neubert home clinic in Alturas. This way, friend will learn how to deal with horse's attitude herself, effectively. With a trainer, you might get the horse ok but have problems again when the original rider gets back on.

Yes, he does dressage, though in a western saddle. The movements, as taught, are absolutely correct.

His forte has always been (wild) mustangs, some of which have been older and completely uninterested in changing their ways.

in_the_zone
Mar. 1, 2011, 01:06 PM
He is very talented but seems to think he's the boss. I think he was meant to be a mare.

Even if you hadn't said "he" in the post, I knew this was a boy. Actually, this is very common for geldings to do this when they haven't had a work ethic properly instilled. Geldings are easy to work with as long as it's all fun and games. It's when they decide that they really would rather be doing something else that this stuff starts happening. Unfortunately, the I-don't-wannas needed to be addressed in his early handling on the ground.

Be prepared for the horse to be restarted from the ground up. Steps were hurried though and important early lessons were not learned. It's not something one should tackle head-on undersaddle imho.