PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a horse from Canada

Ziutek
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:15 PM
What is involved in buying a horse from Canada? Is there any paperwork involved? What about shipping costs to New England?

ToN Farm
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:12 PM
I shipped a horse from Ontario to New Jersey in April 2002. I used Castleview Equine Transport, Jerseyville, Ontario. I was extremely pleased with them.

Since it was so long ago, I don't remember everything, but I know I did not have to do anything except pay for the horse and the shipper. The seller took care of the health papers that were required. There was, I think, some kind of paperwork for crossing the border, but I didn't get involved with that. My total bill for shipping was $898. Probably it is more now.

What I do remember was the shipper saying how long the hold up was at the border. It was a very long trip, I think 15 hours.

I think it would be quite an effort to bring a horse in from Northwest Canada to East US.

*Trinity*
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:20 PM
I just sold a horse in November to the US. It's very straightforward. Horse needs CAN Health Cert, coggins within 60 days (or is it 90?), and you pay a brokerage fee ontop of shipping (around $100). Shipping from ON to SC was around $1,000 and the new owner chose Jeff's Horse Transport. They were excellent!

Ziutek
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:33 PM
Sounds promising so far! What about shipping a horse from BC to New England? Anyone has any info on costs of that?

Cold Spring Farm
Feb. 26, 2011, 11:57 PM
I sold a horse to BC a few months ago. Shipped from Virginia...don't know what buyer paid, but she did a double stall and horse arrived looking just as good as when he left here. She used Canadian-based Elliot Equine, we were both quite pleased with them, and they make numerous trips each month, coast-to-coast, US and Canada.

TropicalStorm
Feb. 27, 2011, 12:12 PM
I'm in the process right now :yes: My horse has been sold to the states and is going from Alberta to New Mexico (so quite a jaunt!) and will also be using Elliot Equine Shipping. (so good to hear that theres' been a good experience!)

I don't know what she's paying (I believe $1500 or something like that), but he has had the exportations papers (which are only valid for 30 days to my understanding), a coggins test pulled, and I have had to sign a NAFTA agreement to get the horse across the border.

He leaves Thursday, so hopefully everything is in place