PDA

View Full Version : That bit is legal - If anyone cares. Straight from the USEF.

fatorangehorse
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:07 PM
Is this bit legal for 2011? The rules confuse me. They don't picture a bit of this type and refer to "rotating cheek pieces." I would call this a rotating mouthpiece. Don't know if that's semantics or if they only mean rotating on the other axis.:confused:

http://www.bahrsaddlery.com/sb-products.asp?productid=4931&category=156

Janet
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:22 PM
Where in the rules do you find a reference to "rotating cheek pieces"?

All I can find is "A curb bit with rotating lever arm is also allowed."

But the illustrations certainly seem to refer to rotating in the other direction.

The Dressage Equioment Booklet
http://www.usef.org/documents/FormsPubs/DressageEquipmentBooklet.pdf
doesn't seem to provide any additional guidance.

I suggest you call USEF or USDF for clarification.

fatorangehorse
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:26 PM
It was "rotating lever arm." I will call. It seemed to me that they would overtly stated it either WAS or WASN'T allowed. They do specifically that it is for a snaffle.

thanks

HappyTalk
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:43 PM
I have this bit and my horse loves it. He is very particular about his tongue and this bit gives it a lot of room. I have never showed in it and I would also be interested if it is legal.

fatorangehorse
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:27 PM
I talked with the USEF office today. They researched and confirmed this is what is meant by "rotating lever arm". So it is in fact legal.

Velvet
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:36 PM
So, does the bit stay flat and really not have any curb action at all? Is that the purpose of this bit with the revolving arms that look like they rotate freely up and down if you put pressure on them?

stolensilver
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:52 PM
I have one of these bits and my horse loves it too. It certainly does have curb action, it just doesn't allow the port to rotate and put pressure on the horse's tongue. The arms still apply pressure to the curb groove via the curb chain and the poll via the head piece, just as normal.

Janet
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:54 PM
I talked with the USEF office today. They researched and confirmed this is what is meant by "rotating lever arm". So it is in fact legal.
Great to know.

You might want to get it in writing/email and print it out so you an show it to the TD.

JackSprats Mom
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:08 PM
I assume we're talking about for a double bridle? cause if not its not legal

fatorangehorse
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:34 PM
I assume we're talking about for a double bridle? cause if not its not legal

Seriously?? Um, thanks. :lol:

fatorangehorse
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:36 PM
Great to know.

You might want to get it in writing/email and print it out so you an show it to the TD.

Great idea!!