PDA

View Full Version : Feedback on Specific Long-Distance Transporters

AllWeatherGal
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:51 AM
There seem to be merits to stopping at night without unloading, stopping and unloading for the night, driving through the night but stopping at fixed, tightly controlled rests every 2 days ... and everyone says that "unlike the others ..." they have drivers who are horsepeople or horsepeople who are drivers, feed this kind of hay, suggest you provide your own ... it's all quite confusing.

I'm bringing a big mare who is an inexperienced traveler from northern California to central Florida. I've gotten quotes for providers who offer full box stalls, air ride vehicles, water/hay at all times, regular stops, two drivers and so on.

I have read many of the existing threads, appreciate the wide variety of responses, and would be grateful for those of you with experience in the last 12 months to share (maybe again) your thoughts.

Here's my short list based on previous threads and conversations with their representatives:

Rodney Wilbanks
Yosemite Equine Services
DDP High Desert Equine
Equine Express
Cox Equine Transport
Bob Hubbard

Was the timing as promised, did the horse arrive in good shape, did you like the handling of the horse and the communication, would you use them again? Other comments?

Thank you so much for your patience :)

2tempe
Feb. 26, 2011, 12:01 PM
This probably will not help your decision, but I bought a horse last year north of LA and wanted to bring her to central florida. After much deliberation about the stress of a road trip and my nerves during that time, I decided to put her on a plane. It was obviously more $ than the road trip, but she was door to door in about 18 hours (vanned to LAX in the wee hours after midnite, loaded on plane in the morning, flown to West Palm and trucked up here.
She was absolutely fine, and recovered very quickly from the trip. If you want more info on this option, send me a pm.

Edited to add that I used Equine Express years ago to bring a horse from Texas to Ohio; they did an excellent job, on time, etc. but it was at least 8 yrs ago.

friesian4me
Feb. 26, 2011, 04:17 PM
I agree, bought a horse from Washington state and he was trailered to LAX and flown to NY. More money but so worth it!

Sonesta
Feb. 26, 2011, 05:17 PM
I have used Cox Equine and Equine Express for many, many years. I have always had wonderful service. Great drivers who do know horses. Horses have always arrived happy and healthy.

We are in Houston and have shipped to or from as far away as LA, San Francisco, Oregon, BC, Florida and New York.

FLeckenAwesome
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:37 PM
Oooh timely! Too bad my filly is coming from Southern California though.... and to Georgia.

Thanks for posting this! I'll be checking too :) And good luck with your mare.

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:50 PM
I have used Bob Hubbard several times and LOVE them.

I have heard good things about Equine Express and Cox too.

kb
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:57 PM
Equine Express just dropped my new pony off today and I can only say "Wow, they were wonderful." They were exactly on time to pick her up and drop her off. She was on the trailer all night Thursday and most of Friday. I spoke with the driver Friday morning for an update. She spent Friday night at their place north of Dallas and then came on to Houston today. They called me Friday night to let me know how she was doing. They called again this morning to say all was well and give me an ETA and they called again when they were an hour away. They actually give you the driver's number so you can call at any time to check on her. And they are just really, really nice! Highly recommend them!!!!

AllWeatherGal
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:25 AM
Flecken ... Hubbard takes all horses from the west coast to their central facility in southern California. Then from there they go direct (non-stop) to their facility in Kentucky ... and from there to their final destinations.

2tempe & friesian ... Flying was a consideration, and not THAT much more expensive than a full stall (especially with the current fuel prices), but a lot trickier regarding timing to filll a pallet, and the horse's current trainer wasn't in favor of the option based on her experiences and her knowledge of the horse.

I'm having trouble connecting with Cox and EE right now ... I'm not able to use my cell phone in the building at work and they aren't inclined to leave detailed information in a message.

Turns out Wilbanks doesn't have a trip that late in the spring, so I'll pursue the last three more aggressively. I have a guaranteed quote from Hubbard, but I don't remember if it's for 60 or 90 days.

I feel a lot of pressure to demonstrate my ability to care properly for this horse (much less ride her) to her current trainer (also her breeder and my mentor for years), so I deeply appreciate everyone's replies on this. I will breathe such a sigh of relief when I see that her new trainer "gets" her and things are okay in her new home.

hundredacres
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:35 AM
Have used Equine Express and they were wonderful, but it wasn't a coast to coast trip. I'd be anxious too!

siegi b.
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:15 AM
Used as recently as this past November and very happy with their service (and price) -
Morningstar Transport

Also, used recently
Yosemite (again, very good service and price).

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:49 AM
I've brought youngsters in from Canada - the big thing I recommend is get a full box stall - the horse can relax, move a bit, lay down.

One of the horses I sold went out on Bob Hubbard - and while they are a big, reputable company, I was not thrilled with them showing up in a TINY trailer (really TINY), luckily the big mare I sold was sweet and willing because this trailer was so small her face actually touched the front, her ears brushed the top! They did then haul her to a racetrack where she sat for several days before they loaded her onto the big air ride trailer for her haul across the country. I know that is an efficient way to gather the horses, and I understand they can't always get their big rigs into all facilities, but it didn't thrill me, nor was the buyer aware of it when she hired them.

Equine Express has a great rep - I've only had one buyer use them, and they had rave reviews. I also know (and recommend) several smaller name shippers, but most of them don't go all the way across country - one does a Western Canada/Western US route, the other stays this side of the Rockies, and another does only West Coast.

Callaway
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:59 AM
I have used Hubbard and Brookledge to ship cross country. They are excellent.

horsefaerie
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:05 AM
I just used this shipper and his price and care were fantastic! I don't know if he will be making a trip that way but it can't hurt to call.
612-750-6778

His name is Bill.

He shipped some ponies for some other people too and I don't think anyone was displeased.
http://carisbrooketransport.com/about.html

Equine Express if they go that way. I have used them many times in the past and they are wonderful to work with.

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:19 AM
A bit about my wonderfull experiences with Hubbard.
They are really easy to work with. Very friendly and helpful on the phone.
Both the horses I shipped were "big". One was smaller Clyde but is still 17.1 Other was Hanv and about 16.3. They recommended box stalls though also have 1 1/2 tie stalls. Didn't recommend a regular tie stall due to their size.
The Clyde came from the NW to OK. Overnighted in Ca. Arrived right on time once they could get to the NW due to the massive snow storm that hit about the time of the original ship date. I couldn't there to meet him but a good friend of mine her who has lived on the race track for years all over the country and of course has experienced all shapes and forms of shippers was also very impressed with Hubbard.

The Hanv came from Az to Va. He overnighted (actually 2 days I think) in their Lex Ky facility. A friend of mine in the horse industry went to check on him and was very impressed with the facility and the care. And he arrived right on time too.

A friend of mine used them to ship a 3 yr stallion from Ky to NY. They had an empty box stall so put him in it at no extra charge :-) I prob wouldn't expect that little perk on a regular basis of course.

2tempe
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:23 AM
OP - yes, I had the issue w/ filling the pallet, and was somewhat bummed as they would have flown the horse to Orlando...Ended up using Tex Sutton, who has own fleet of planes and doesn't need to fill a pallet. Flew into West Palm. Probably smart to go w/ current trainer's recommendation, however.

cyriz's mom
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:27 AM
I have used Cox and EE numerous times.

EE has always done a good job for me until I needed a Fingerlakes Finest shipped in August. Waffled on the space availability and then told me at the last minute they didn't have room on that load.

Cox picked her up the following week and she arrived in great shape. I have used and recommended Cox a couple of times since and have been pleased. Cox was significantly cheaper than EE on all occasions (10-25%).

They both have layover facilities within an hour of me (actually their primary hubs). Both facilities are clean and safe. Both use drivers who are "horsey" and closely monitor the horses. I was given cell numbers of the drivers for both companies.

I recommend either. If you used EE and timing is important, just make sure you have a confirmed box stall.

mimiwenk
Feb. 27, 2011, 11:40 AM
I'm also thinking of bringing an older horse from west coast to east coast. I don't think he could handle the road trip. How much to fly coast to coast?

AllWeatherGal
Feb. 27, 2011, 12:41 PM
I'm also thinking of bringing an older horse from west coast to east coast. I don't think he could handle the road trip. How much to fly coast to coast?

Mimi, my quote was $11K for the whole pallet and about $5 for a 1/3 of a pallet, which is about a stall-and-a-half. But that was before fuel prices skyrocketed last week.

Although the trip is much shorter by air, the horses have to be sensible enough to load on the tarmac and handle the sound and reverberations of the aircraft. Sometimes bothers me and my horse is even MORE sound-sensitive.

Also, a judge who has a lot of experience in cross-country horse travel mentioned to me that sometimes the stress of changing air pressure (imagine if you couldn't pop your ears on a flight) can be hard on horses.

Mystik ... Hubbard (well, not him, but the gal I spoke with on the phone) did tell me that if the destination couldn't accommodate their big rigs, they contracted with local haulers for final deliveries if the distances were short. I'm glad your horse was okay.

Hubbard did tell me about the layovers because I'd specifically asked. Every time one shipper tells me one thing, add it to my list of questions. :)

Thanks everyone ... you know how much it helps just to be able to have conversation about issues!

Gestalt
Feb. 27, 2011, 01:19 PM
A friend that ships alot and has for years always uses Hubbard. She says she has never had a horse delivered that was stressed.

I saw a horse that a neighbor bought from Michigan and it looked awful!!!! I don't know who the shipped was though.

Montanas_Girl
Feb. 27, 2011, 01:58 PM
Well, it has been a few years, but I was very happy with the service I received when Cox shipped a weanling from northern CA to middle TN for me. She had either a day or day and a half layover at their Texas facility. She had a stall and a half, which nearly equalled a box stall for a weanling. it was her first trailer ride, and she stepped off the ramp (at 4 am) looking as though she was just coming out of her stall at home. I was impressed with how easily she traveled and was handled.

Her trip came in within only a few hours of my estimate. Cox was by far the cheapest quote that I received from any of the "big" companies at that time. My only complaint was that the drivers didn't keep in contact with me while they were on the road until they got close enough to give me an ETA. I would have liked more frequent updates, but I kind of assumed that no news was good news, and it was.

hca86
Feb. 27, 2011, 02:43 PM
I have experience with both Bob Hubbard and Equine Express, both from the NE to the Midwest.

I did not have a good experience with Bob Hubbard and my then yearling filly. They were given specific directions on giving her gastrogard, had it written in all her record, and reminded a few times, but she did not receive it. She was also stuck in Kentucky for longer than they told me, and they missed the exit 5 times off the only highway in the area. As I told them that the farm she was going to was not accessible by a large trailer they told me they could change her over to a two-horse. I was not sure how that was going to work, but needless to say it did not happen (which I did not expect them to have a small trailer anyways) and she had to be walked down a mile dirt road in the pitch black for her first big trailering experience.

Equine Express was a delight, they offered great care for my older mare and even called me for updates due to her hind end issues. I would highly recommend them. I totally forgot to call them after I received a quote for the exact date, and called them the week before she was supposed to travel and they were able to pick her up the next day no problem. They were even nice enough to give me my original quote even though I was the one who made the mistake.

mbm
Feb. 28, 2011, 05:52 PM
re: Cox - I used them to ship my 2 yo colt from Chicago to CA.

He arrived on time, BUT he was in a slant load and was basically packed in like a sardine. there is no getting any horse off unless the others are out of the way. i believe it was a 9 horse slant. there is NO room at all....

not anything like Hubbard, Equine Express etc.

the ramps were REALLY steep, and i question whether the folks had had enough sleep.

one of the drivers was hard of hearing .....

i would NOT use them again.

oh, want to add i have used Hubbard from CA to ON CAN, and Equine Express back from ON CAN to CA.... both were fine, altho neither were on time...... however they were large, semi trailers etc... not a normal slant like Cox....

AllWeatherGal
Feb. 28, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cox says that the slant is custom-made and some torsion axle something-or-other, to which my automotively-inclined BF nodded sagely as being better than air ride.

I did see the photo of a slantload and they create the box stall by partitioning differently, but you're right about the unloading, which I hadn't considered.

So, now I've gotten mixed reviews about all three shippers. The one other thing I can add is that two of them are about the same price and the other is $1200 more ... and I'm not sure I know why.

gonsouth
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:38 PM
I used Creech Brothers to ship my two horses from the San Jose area in California to Wellington, Florida. That was 10 Years ago. They went as far as Kentucky, Then Brookledge took over..The horses arrived in Florida in great Condition. Creech kept me informed every day how they were doing. Brookledge did the same thing. I was very pleased with both companies.

mbm
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:30 PM
the difference in price is because of the rigs.

Hubbard and teh BIG guys use semi's custom made into horse transports.

they have a lot more room, horses generally dont face a wall, etc etc.

Cox, EE, an the other lower cost shippers use standard trucks and trailers.

i personally would not ship using the budget option again..... i can't imagine it is pleasant for the horses.

also, you have no idea who the people are handling your horse, et.

at least with hubbard etc they move race tracks so you know they generally know what they are doing.

Cielo Azure
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:37 PM
A buyer of mine used Hubbard to ship a prego Percheron to OR from GA.

With Hubbard it is an option to "buy" a box stall on the trailer or "buy" two tie stalls and remove the divider.

babygreenqueen
Feb. 28, 2011, 09:43 PM
equine express is above and beyond

i used them many times cross country NY to CA, TX to NY, NY to NV

they are professional and love their job

excellent service and communication

get a box stall for cross country

all my horses arrived fat and relaxed healthy and happy

AllWeatherGal
Mar. 1, 2011, 06:53 AM
FWIW, all shippers I've contacted offer the option to get a stall, a stall-and-a-half, or a box stall. Dimensions for the box range from 9'6"x 8' to 7'x8' and they are all advertised as fully enclosed.

Hubbard will work with smaller providers such as Creech or National Horse Carriers if origination and destination don't have clearance for their rigs.

All of them say they provide hay and water 24x7 and check on horses along the way every 3-5 hours. Some have cameras. All say they use two drivers.

The "regular" trailers are all supported by this torsion thingie which provides the same comfort (I'm told, haven't ridden in either) as the air ride.

I wonder if I'll survive her trip :eek: if I can't even settle on transportation.

xQHDQ
Mar. 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
I used Yosemite Equine. They were very nice. The driver wasn't the best at backing up. Unfortunately, bad weather stuck my horse with them in Colorado for 3 days more than supposed to. I don't know if they kept him on the truck. He was in a box stall. He came to me on the skinny side, but not upset at all. Good communication regarding what was going on.

My trainer uses Bob Hubbard a lot and loves him. Better drivers with respect to handling the rigs.

2tempe
Mar. 1, 2011, 08:15 PM
My trainer shipped a young horse from Ca. to Florida a couple years ago; don't remember the shipper, but she got him a box stall, and the driver said he spent a lot of time wandering around n it, so he arrived a bit thin and tired. Not saying you should get a smaller stall, but this is the possible trade off.

Your last quote on surviving the trip made me laugh - this was why I did the plane thing! Just make sure YOU have a phone number to call in case THEY don't check in w/ you. My regular shipper for the Ohio-Florida trip that I did for a couple years gave me his # and said: "just call whenever you want, as often as you want, then you won't be mad if I forget to call you..."

Loved him!

Capriole
Mar. 1, 2011, 08:47 PM
I would really think about the flying option again. People vastly underestimate how hard these long trailer trips are on horses. Yes, horses do it all the time. But I don't think it's a great idea. Maintaining their balance in a moving trailer is physically hard work. They aren't inclined to drink as much. They are prone to picking up diseases from the other horses with whom they are in contact. The stress can cause ulcers. Some horses lose hundreds of pounds. The trips are also *much* longer than if you got in your car and drove straight from A to B because new horses are being picked up and dropped off along the way.

I have flown horses three times and each time went without a hitch. I also had a horse hauled from IL to MD and it was terrible -- the horse arrived desperately thin and pretty upset. Small sample sizes, of course.

PineTreeFarm
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:21 PM
the difference in price is because of the rigs.

Hubbard and teh BIG guys use semi's custom made into horse transports.

they have a lot more room, horses generally dont face a wall, etc etc.

Cox, EE, an the other lower cost shippers use standard trucks and trailers.

i personally would not ship using the budget option again..... i can't imagine it is pleasant for the horses.

Cox and EE use Horse Vans. Air Ride.
EE was a 9 horse rig each time.
I'm not understanding your comment about 'semi's custom made'. What is that?
Reason I'm asking is I've seen Hubbard at horse shows. They had normal horse vans, just like everyone else.

Personally, I'd rather a 'real' horse van. You know, something built to be used for horses. LOL
EE shipped in a box stall each time.

Not understanding your 'facing a wall' comment either. Horse vans generally have stalls that face out into an aisle.

mbm
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:32 PM
cox has a 9 horse slant load - regular trailer, pulled by a regular truck.

cox does not have a horse VAN. it is a regular slant load 9 horse trailer.

the horses are in like sardines. to get one out all have to come out. think about how a regular slant works. that is how their slant is - except the wall is floor to ceiling. horse faces a wall and is basically in a box. walls floor to ceiling all around.

hubbard and the other big companies use semi's (tractor trailers). the horses face each other, etc.
http://www.bobhubbardhorsetrans.com/bhht-yourhorse.htm

or, at least every hubbard transport i have seen is like that.

there is a reason why cox and the other budget carriers cheaper.

please note: i was thinking of a different company when i said EE.... so i appologize. EE is like hubbbard - big semi's ......

Kaluna
Mar. 1, 2011, 11:53 PM
I have used Equine Express and would use them again in a heartbeat.

A friend used Blue Chip to go cross Country and was highly impressed with their on-the-road communication and the condition of the horse on delivery.

Montanas_Girl
Mar. 2, 2011, 09:10 AM
When my filly was transported by Cox, she was on the big nine-horse slant, but it was NOT a "regular horse trailer". It was pulled by a semi and was much larger than a typical trailer, in all dimensions.

magienoire
Mar. 2, 2011, 09:57 AM
I would handwalk a horse across the country before I'd use Hubbard again! HORRIBLE. Had a gelding shipped from FL to AZ and he was at death's door when he arrived. Had to be on IV fluids for a week in the hospital, colicky, URI, like everything that could be wrong with him was. He was obviously sick on the trailer but instead of getting him veterinary attention, they just dragged him along. The one other time I used them they arrived 14 hours late, and were just complete jackasses about everything.

Equine Express, on the other hand, have always been absolutely wonderful. Great communication, always giving updates on the horse's condition on the road etc. One time they were late dropping a horse off but apologized because another horse on the trailer was colicking so they had stopped at a vet hospital for treatment. My horse stepped off the trailer looking relaxed and happy, although a bit tired. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

pcwertb
Mar. 2, 2011, 11:06 AM
I had a client use Equine Express to get a 2 year old from FL to TX. She arrived in great shape and they were pleased with the communications with EE during transit. They had a semi rig with tie stalls and the filly shipped in a box stall....loaded with no issues.

mbm
Mar. 2, 2011, 11:55 AM
When my filly was transported by Cox, she was on the big nine-horse slant, but it was NOT a "regular horse trailer". It was pulled by a semi and was much larger than a typical trailer, in all dimensions.

maybe they have different trailers - but my colt went from chicago to CA in a regular horse trailer pulled by a regular truck. in fact the rig was "normal" enough to be able to drive own a one lane gravel lane and do various "L" turns to get to the barn.

i was shocked to say the least.

if you try, you cant find pics of the rigs they use... i wonder why especially since they custom made all these slants?

AllWeatherGal
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:21 PM
My heartfelt thanks to EVERYONE who has posted on this thread and continued to share ideas and stories.

Flying is just out of the question for me ... logistics are too complicated without a budget of $12,000 to cover all the contingencies and holding stalls at both ends until a pallet is filled. In my perfect world I charter a plane and transport my horse with her favorite pony babysitter and her trainer, vet, shoer, and all her stuff at once. Or maybe in my perfect world, I never had to move at all!

I have talked reps from a dozen shippers including Hubbard, Cox, EE and two airline folks, who actually contract with one of these three to get the horse from "home" to the airport ... they all were professional, thorough, and courteous.

Yosemite doesn't have a trip scheduled for the time frame. They are SUPER-nice tho.

I loved how well Brook Ledge communicated via email. The best of anyone! Fast, complete sentences and very very clear.

Currently Cox (according to their rep) uses 1-ton pickups to pull custom trailers. They sent photos of the rigs inside and out ... Yes, they are trailers but extra-wide and fitted with torsion-something-or-other. I don't know that I'd call them a budget operation since the quote was only slightly lower than 4 other providers and higher than the three lowest. Clearly they have transported for many happy people, and my guess is that they have the sense to load horses in the reverse order of delivery so only only the horses destined to stay are unloaded at each stop.

Hubbard quote was on the high end of the dozen I originally received, but they guarantee it for 6 months. They also go from northern California to southern California before traveling East and therefore have a longer route from my origination to destination than those who travel more east-wise to Texas and the quote includes two layovers. On the one hand, nice breaks. On the other, that's at least three different environments (assuming she's loaded back into the same stall, which is a bit of a stretch). Also at least one additional opportunity to misplace a box of accompanying stuff.

The EE rep was really patient with my endless questions, when he returned my call. There is one layover, it's a couple of days, and they are charging extra for tack box(es). I'm not the best judge of men, but I felt good about the conversation. Of course, he's also not the one driving.

And that's what it comes down to--the specific drivers and handlers. The more horses a company transports the more opportunities for unhappy (or happy) clients. Everyone has off days, runs into unpleasant traffic, misses oddly-marked on and off-ramps.

I did hear one TERRIBLE story about EE that made me doubt even moving the horse, but after a year without her ... the job that supports us both is here so I'm trying to make the best of things.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's input. ;) ... I wonder if the USDF's book ($14 and however long to send) could provide any better information or support!

geldingsRgreat
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:28 PM
Lukens horse transport...nothing but good things to say about them.
http://www.horsetransport.cc/

PineTreeFarm
Mar. 3, 2011, 09:42 AM
cox has a 9 horse slant load - regular trailer, pulled by a regular truck.

cox does not have a horse VAN. it is a regular slant load 9 horse trailer.

the horses are in like sardines. to get one out all have to come out. think about how a regular slant works. that is how their slant is - except the wall is floor to ceiling. horse faces a wall and is basically in a box. walls floor to ceiling all around.

hubbard and the other big companies use semi's (tractor trailers). the horses face each other, etc.
http://www.bobhubbardhorsetrans.com/bhht-yourhorse.htm

or, at least every hubbard transport i have seen is like that.

there is a reason why cox and the other budget carriers cheaper.

please note: i was thinking of a different company when i said EE.... so i appologize. EE is like hubbbard - big semi's ......

What you seem to refer to as a 'semi' is simply a horse van pulled by a tractor. This is the norm as as far as I'm concerned. It's what you see at shows, the track etc. for commercial shippers.

In any event both Cox and EE did great each time.

tma
Mar. 3, 2011, 10:07 AM
While I normally haul my own, I have had occasion to be the pickup point and the receiving end for some long hauls.

Equine Express hauled 9 horses for a friend, from my place in So. Cal. to where she moved to MO, a few years back.

Drivers appeared to be horsemen who also drove trucks. They were on time, communicated well on location and ETA, patient with loading the horses. Made sufficient room on the rig for enough feed for the horses for the entire trip, + a week's worth beyond that to ease the transitio to new feeds at their destination.

Drivers gave me their mobile numbers and invited both the owner and myself to call at any time, day or night, for an update.

One mare was elderly and required a special diet. They bucket fed her at every stop, and she arrived in good condition. The other horses had hay nets to work on.

Horses were picked up at noon on Friday and arrived at the layover in TX by late Saturday afternoon. Rested Sunday and Monday, loaded Tuesday morning and delivered late Tuesday night in good condition. Large air ride van picked them up on my end.

Experiences with Hubbard has been positive as well. So Calif to/from No Calif trips both times, so just "one day" trips on the trailers. Mares arrived on time and in good condition, and for the return trip, were picked up on time and the owner reported their arrival in good condition. Six horse open trailer pulled with a pickup in both cases (but just two horses to be transported). I do know that they have everything from two horse straight loads to large air ride vans.

I can also recommend Chuck Erb Horse Transportation (based in Chino, CA). Also have air-ride van rigs (12 horse and 15 horse). I know that they make trips to KY on a fairly regular basis, and network with other independents for trips further east. Again, I've been on both the pickup and receiving ends for shipping for friends, and communication is excellent. Horses were picked up on time and delivered on time and in good condition.

For whatever it's worth (or not! :-)

mbm
Mar. 3, 2011, 12:58 PM
What you seem to refer to as a 'semi' is simply a horse van pulled by a tractor. This is the norm as as far as I'm concerned. It's what you see at shows, the track etc. for commercial shippers.

In any event both Cox and EE did great each time.

yes, but it isnt what Cox uses. see the post where OP talked to them and they said they pull with a truck - not a tractor (we call them semi's - not sure why)

i am not trying to be an a$$, but i was shocked when my guy was delivered in a regular slant load trailer an not the kind of van i was expecting. he was delivered in one piece, altho he was scared of ropes, and they arrived the day they said they would - altho early.

<shrug>