PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Horse Classic High Riders

GreyStreet
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
I found a great deal on a pair of these on eBay. They arrived today and seem to fit okay. I tried on a pair of wides at my local tack store, and they were much, much too wide. I also needed talls, which only come in regular calf anyway. I have pretty muscular calves so I do seem to make good use of the elastic. My issue is I'm a little paranoid because my previous tall boots (Ariats) had such shoddy zipper work, that after only a couple of years of wear, the zippers just split open one day. These were such a great deal, but I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with them. The elastic seems sturdy and so do the zippers. That's my primary concern since my calves are on the upper end of the size spectrum for the regular, but not quite on par with the wide sizing. It took me a couple of minutes to get the zippers up over my calves, but once on, the boots felt comfortable - not too tight. I'm just so paranoid about the zipper splitting per my Ariat experience.

I can't ride in these and return them - can I safely assume that if I can get them on and walk around the house comfortably that I'm reasonably good to go? Anyone want to placate this type A girl?

Thanks in advance!

duecavalle
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
I had a pair of MH Classic High Riders for a brief time. The zipper is nice quality, good and heavy duty, problem was, it wouldn't stay up! They would come unzipped while riding. I have wide calves too (and did stretch the elastic a bit), the regular width is all that was available when I bought mine, so that's what I bought. Unless MH has made an improvement to this boot by securing the zipper, I would be inclined to send them back. Fortunately I bought mine from Dover and returned them there. I also noticed several pairs in the Dover Bargain Basement, all presumably returned for the same reason. The dropping zippers probably would not be an issue for someone with a slim calf, but for wide/athletic calves like mine they were not a good fit. I'm sorry, wish I had a better review!

CounterCanterer
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:09 AM
I just got mine (had to get the wide) and I've been wearing them around the house... slight (very, very slight) zipper opening (like 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch) at the top. I'm going to go get a cobbler to put a snap and tab at the top as I think mthis will help keep it closed (or at least cover the zipper opening)

Liz
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:07 AM
I have a pair too and I have a wide calf. The boots were snug at first but the elastic made it easier for me to break them in. They are my every day boots (although I have also shown in them in a pinch). Never experienced any zipper problems at all. I have had a great experience and just ordered another pair. I have worn my current boots daily for a few years and they have held up remarkably well. I really like the brand. Never never had any zipper issues and I swore off zippers after my last pair of custom boots broke the fourth time (la mundial).

Beentheredonethat
Feb. 26, 2011, 02:36 PM
I have a pair. I have really wide calves and have always had Mountain Horse. When these came out, I got them. It didn't take long before the zippers won't stay up. I can ride in them, but I have to put black electrical tape around the top of the zippers to keep them up. This has been my main problem with Mountain Horse. The zippers always break A cobbler suggested a solid metal zipper would be a bit more expensive and last longer. I wrote to Mountain Horse about it and got a reply. They said they have tested many zippers and these are the best.

I don't ride in mine. I actually found Ovation front zip boots that actually feet my extremely wide, but normal-sized foot and wide calf. I have no problem with the front zipper. I like them so much when I found another pair, I ordered them. It is not easy to find front sip boot, but I like them SO much better and don't have the problem with the zippers inevitably breaking or falling.

duecavalle
Feb. 26, 2011, 05:55 PM
Beentheredonethat: Mountain Horse just came out with a front zip dress boot. :)

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90585&utm_source=mb&utm_campaign=ER90585&green=20819211824&utm_medium=rec

Also edited to ad: I had a pair of MH Classic High Riders with zips that I rode in for 7 years with no problems. The zippers did finally give at the ankle where the leather had slouched, but after that length of time, I didn't mind replacing the zippers! The rest of the boot while faded and well worn, was is still perfectly usable.

n2dressage
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:23 PM
I have had several pair of Mountain Horse boots and the zippers have worn in a few of mine (and been repaired for a reasonable amount of money). The rest of the boot wears so well that $30 for zippers isn't so bad. The Classic Dress is pretty tight on my leg but not to an uncomfortable point (and would take me a few minutes to get up all the way). The zipper has only come down on mine maybe 1/4" but not further. I'm sure a button or something similar would help them stay up (like their other boots). I did notice that you said you got a great deal on them on Ebay- did your seller specify a return policy if they don't fit?

GreyStreet
Feb. 26, 2011, 07:07 PM
The seller did have a 7 day return policy, though it specified I could only try them on, not ride in them. I did try them on last night a couple of different times to try to get a better feel. Decided to give it a go today at the barn - they felt comfortable once on and once I got used to the feel in the saddle, I barely noticed them. They cut into the area behind my knee a bit which is typical for me with tall boots because I actually *need* the tall height. I realize these won't break down much but even if they break down just a tad, they'll be perfect.
The right zipper came down just a tad after a hard ride but other than that I was very pleased. I found these boots for 200 bucks - they are in my local tack store for 310 and the cheapest I've seen them in an online store is about 240, so I was happy with that. For that kind of deal, I'm happy to take them to a cobbler and see if I can get a tab put on at the top. For those who have done that, what did you find it ran cost wise and was it an "easy" type of repair?

Thanks!

Beentheredonethat
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:35 PM

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER90585&utm_source=mb&utm_campaign=ER90585&green=20819211824&utm_medium=rec

Also edited to ad: I had a pair of MH Classic High Riders with zips that I rode in for 7 years with no problems. The zippers did finally give at the ankle where the leather had slouched, but after that length of time, I didn't mind replacing the zippers! The rest of the boot while faded and well worn, was is still perfectly usable.

Cool! Now that I have a bunch of pairs of boots they make what I want! Oh well, my next purchase.

Lucky you with zippers. I've had a bunch of their boots and the the zipper has been the problem every time.

CounterCanterer
Feb. 26, 2011, 11:13 PM
You could always ask a cobbler to do something like this:

http://www.e-rectiligne.com/advantages.html

PiaffePlease
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:20 PM

Darn, I just bought my mountian horse boots and one of the big downsides was the back zipper. I really wanted an inside zipper.