PDA

View Full Version : Mare: Touch the future

stolen virtue
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:08 PM
I just received my horse's papers his name is "Super Carson" I purchased him from Canter. I don't understand his lineage based on his name. I had assumed he was a "Carson City" foal. However, when I received his papers he is out of "Touch the Future" foal of D'Wildcat. How does that work ?

I really do not care, but I've had a rough day and I'm confused. I do love him and I am looking forward to having him here to love on. But really, his registered name makes no sense. I like to keep my OTTB's registered names as their show names, but now I am beginning to rethink that.

Anyone think I should change his show name ? and to what ? Thanks !!:yes:

EponaRoan
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:22 PM
He could be named for a child or friend or something. There were a few variations of it in the naming application. You could contact the breeder and ask. I'll PT you the other names.

stolen virtue
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks, EponaRoan. I am not very race name savy, but I thought "Carson" meant something. I guess he is a clean slate now ! My normal attachment to JC names is being challenged.

Laurierace
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:52 PM
You can name a horse anything you want to more or less. There are a few restrictions like can not be the name of someone famous or a product but as long as it's 18 spaces and not already taken chances are you will get it. Why the owner chose to name that horse what they did is anyone's guess. Nothing to get worked up over in my opinion. Congrats on your new horse.

stolen virtue
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:03 PM
Thanks laurierace, I'm just confused about the name, I'm worked up over my IRS letter I received today that lumped my paid taxes from last year to taxes owed (and apparently not paid), I hope I can clarify that point to the IRS.

My usual use of JC names is not working for this guy. I have NEVER named a horse, barn or show name. We all seem to get thown down areas of complete ignorance at times, this is mine at this time. I also just bought his new halter and need a name on it.

danceronice
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
I would just stick with the JC name. That's how they're looked up on brisnet, equineline, etc. Given the stupid names a lot of warmbloods get (as some have to start with a certain letter, be a single word, and people end up scrambling for anything to use) it's not any worse than most, and keeping it makes it easier to track him.

As mentioned, the Jockey Club doesn't require names to reflect pedigree. Some that sound like they do, don't, and somet that sound like they don't, do: Lucky to Cope sounds like a mean or a 'counterintuitive' kind of name until you look and see he's by Lucky Lionel out of Copenqueen. And having a 'negative' name did him no harm in racing results, while his 'positively' named half-sister She Sure Can Cope couldn't.

Calamber
Feb. 25, 2011, 03:00 PM
For what it is worth. I love the name. So optimistic. Sorry you are having so much worry with the IRS, that could confuse anyone. I can imagine you are having 'negative' thoughts about the future most especially with the world and the US as it is now. Let the horse carry the hope. That's my motto for now. I just got my first horse in a long time who is where my heart is attached, he came with the name "Cisco", to which I have only negative thoughts attached. His registered name is Quicksilver's Quincy, which is okay but it really has not touched the horse or the moment in which I found him (in trouble of course). So his name is Adagio, because I have to take it slow with him and because two men were talking about an adagio at the breakfast table in a restaurant the next morning. That struck me so much, the where and the what, that I thought, that's it!

brightskyfarm
Feb. 26, 2011, 06:23 AM
As was pointed out, names are names -- some work, some dont.

However, I do understand your disappointment. I have 2 Carson City horses in for retraining -- and absolutely adore them. They are wonderful to work with, awesome temperments, and conformations to die for! And talent!

OTOH, horses are also what we make of them, each taking from us our best if we offer it :).

mht
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:18 AM
When you check the naming details, every one of the choices has 'Carson' in it, so that name must have some meaning for the breeder.

stolen virtue
Feb. 26, 2011, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone and I had to laugh at the message regarding Carson on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy-that was so funny, and I miss that show. I'm thinking of keeping Carson for the barn name and doing something different for the show name. Touch the Future is generally thought of as the comment made by Krista McCulife (sp ?) the teacher that died in the challenger space shuttle accident. I remember that accident very clearly.

He is a sweet guy and after working with him for awhile I'll have a better idea. I guess there is always a first time for everything, having never named a horse. Any name ideas are welcome !

DeeThbd
Feb. 27, 2011, 12:21 PM
How about Kit Carson, from the old west?
Dee

stolen virtue
Mar. 12, 2011, 10:40 PM
I did some research and the people who purchased my new horse as a yearling name every horse with family names. He may not have made it to the race track for a race, but I am hoping he does well in the show ring. His pedigree does indicate a solid racing future and the previous owners have had horses in the triple crown races, however, it is likely that he just did not flourish in the racing industry.

I am impressed with his pedigree and very excited to work with his calm, curious demeanor. I am gratefull for race owners who choose to find another vocation for their TBs. I hope that the organizations that retrain the racing TBs continue to help the racing industry deal with the unwanted TBs from the track.

My new TB comes this Wednesday and I could not be more excited. Thanks !

stolen virtue
Mar. 20, 2011, 01:37 PM
My new boy came and is the calmest young horse I have ever been around. I just could not be happier-except if this darn rain would stop. My trainer rode him Friday in our usual gail force afternoon winds and he was perfect. He now has his own fan club !

Every new experience is greeted with a curious look and a calm acceptance. He is loving the hand grazing and it looks like with the storm we are getting hammered with he will have plenty of hand grazing for the week. I am very excited to have such a treasure in our life.