PDA

View Full Version : WWYD

yankeeclipper
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
What are the pros and cons of lending your horse for a multi-day out of state horse show? Horse in question has no prior show experience and is schooling lower levels. How do you handle insurance, liability and etc....?

EqTrainer
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
I cant imagine any pros but the potential cons list seems endless...

jherold
Feb. 25, 2011, 01:46 PM
Pros: show milage and exposure, especially good if you're trying to sell the beast.

Cons: Injury to the horse, potential liability should a 3rd party be injured by your horse.

I imagine most of the larger equine insurance companies would do short term lease insurance. Sort of like having a horse go out on trial. I'm assuming you know the parties who would have custody of the horse and trust their judgement and ability.

MLD
Feb. 25, 2011, 01:55 PM
What are the pros and cons of lending your horse for a multi-day out of state horse show? Horse in question has no prior show experience and is schooling lower levels. How do you handle insurance, liability and etc....?

One year, I let my mare go with my trainer and a Jr. rider to the Jr. Championships over in CA. I watched the Jr. rider take lessons on my mare before they left so I was very comfortable in her riding ability and how she handled my horse. I would not have done this if the Jr. rider had NOT been riding with my trainer. I will also add, that I knew the rider's mom and had been around both of them at the barn for a couple of years prior.

SillyHorse
Feb. 25, 2011, 02:17 PM
I cant imagine any pros but the potential cons list seems endless...
I would have to agree.

OP, what do you see as the possible pros?

Bogey2
Feb. 25, 2011, 03:12 PM
Horse in question has no prior show experience and is schooling lower levels

If it were MY trainer I would consider it...anyone else, no. First time show experiences can be challenging even for seasoned riders, I would want it to be handled correctly.

yankeeclipper
Feb. 25, 2011, 03:42 PM
Pros - The show mileage / experience and doing a good deed.

I'm not trying nor have plans to sell the horse. I am very concerned about liability since I only know the trainer not the rider or parents, horse injury shortly before a clinic that I'm attending and etc....

Horse in question is not super confident and really relies on his rider to take care of him. I'm not saying that this rider is incapable or will not take care of my horse but there will be little to no prior riding history before a big show.

He has been off property for clinics, trail rides and fun but is green as far as showing is concerned. He has been nervous, excited, overstimulated and even mellow depending on the situation. I've been there for everything with the exception of one - one day clinic that he was taken to by someone he knew and has a history with. It was also about 15 min from the barn.

I don't have a level of comfort sending him to a big show without me - his support system. He's not a been there done that kind of horse (yet) who takes everything in stride like "oh no big deal I guess we are at another big show". Since I'm taking time off at the end of the month for vacation, I don't really have the time or the money to attend.

I know the trainer and like and respect her and would really like to support her in this but there are just a lot of buts and what if's...

ArabDiva
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:16 PM
I know the trainer and like and respect her and would really like to support her in this but there are just a lot of buts and what if's...

Exactly. You should not feel pressured or obligated and frankly I think it's a bit forward of this trainer to even ask. I would only let my green horse go to a show if my TRAINER was the person doing the riding.

Would you lend out your car to a teenage driver that you didn't know, for a weekend?

yankeeclipper
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:26 PM
The trainer definitely is NOT pressuring me nor do I feel obligated but I do hate to disappoint and I know she is struggling with finding a long term lease horse that is suitable for rated shows.

Thank you for the replies. It helped me to clarify that it is not unreasonable to be apprehensive about it given the experience level of my horse.

MelantheLLC
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:30 PM
I don't think you have to feel bad about saying that in this particular case, since the new rider will have little time to get to know him, it's just too worrisome for you. Say you don't want to disappoint trainer and may be open to doing it another time and situation, but in this particular case you will worry too much.

thathorse
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:38 PM
"I don't have a level of comfort sending him to a big show without me"

that says a lot. weigh that against your desire to help your trainer and make that decision.

Here's the thing-someone leasing the horse for a competition is going to have an expectation that they are buying into a chance for success. Compare that to you competing your boy, planning for a "whatever it takes to bring him along" experience.

The spot between a rock and a hard place is never fun.

ToN Farm
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
Why not have the trainer show him once or twice to see how he will be before you put his/her student on the horse?

ArabDiva
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:49 PM
The trainer definitely is NOT pressuring me nor do I feel obligated but I do hate to disappoint and I know she is struggling with finding a long term lease horse that is suitable for rated shows.

Thank you for the replies. It helped me to clarify that it is not unreasonable to be apprehensive about it given the experience level of my horse.

Just gently explain that you would love to help her out and understand the spot she's in, and maybe even say that you're flattered she has enough confidence in your horse to even ask, but you're just not comfortable with it at this point and would like to put some miles on the horse yourself in a show situation, before placing him in that situation. I'm sure she will understand.

enjoytheride
Feb. 25, 2011, 06:14 PM
What kind of rider is she and what kind of trainer is the trainer?

If you have the potential to put some valuable show miles on your horse with an experienced rider and trainer you should go with it. That's a huge bargain. You end up with a horse that knows how to go and be a show horse.

EqTrainer
Feb. 25, 2011, 06:57 PM
What kind of rider is she and what kind of trainer is the trainer?

If you have the potential to put some valuable show miles on your horse with an experienced rider and trainer you should go with it. That's a huge bargain. You end up with a horse that knows how to go and be a show horse.

But... She might end up with a really messed up horse. Since she cannot be there, to me its a no brainer... No way.

Mozart
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:14 PM
Impossible to say really, as it depends on the rider. If they are as competent as you or more so, it is a bargain really, because your horse will learn a lot at a multi day show. And you know, sometimes "mommy" can project more anxiety onto a green horse than someone who does not have the same emotional connection.

However, if you are not totally comfortable with their ability you should not feel badly for saying no.

SillyHorse
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:09 PM
I really think you need to listen to your gut on this one. Too may things can go wrong.

Pocket Pony
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:22 PM
I would absolutely, positively, NOT do it. Too many risks for little reward, IMHO. Speaking from someone who always has had something lent out come back broken - either person or equipment! :lol:

yankeeclipper
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:08 AM
Thanks everyone. Agreed there definitely seem like more risks than reward. Given the situation for this particular show, it doesn't seem like a good fit for my inexperienced show horse. Maybe down the road but not at this point.

Equibrit
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:50 AM
Just say no.

merrygoround
Feb. 26, 2011, 12:04 PM
[Quote]I don't have a level of comfort sending him to a big show without me - his support system. He's not a been there done that kind of horse (yet) who takes everything in stride like "oh no big deal I guess we are at another big show". Since I'm taking time off at the end of the month for vacation, I don't really have the time or the money to attend.[Quote]

You have answered your question. No! You aren't comfortable with the idea.