PDA

View Full Version : Mare is gone but the Baby's still kickin'! Pics at EIGHTEEN months post #143 ;)

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:48 AM
Our mare, Hidden Viggorish, who still holds the world record for 3yo fillies on a 5/8 mile track, foaled her first foal, a filly, late last night. She never got up after that; we think she ruptured her uterine artery. She died.

The filly is quite immature and not doing well (despite being a couple days late, actually) and was rushed to the clinic. Please jingle for her recovery; it would be horrible to lose the mare and have nothing left from her at all.

EquineLVR
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:57 AM
What a terrible tragedy.. I am so sorry. HUGS.. TONS of JINGLES for her FILLY!!

sar2008
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:00 AM
Jingling from VA for baby Vigg.

ASB Stars
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
Always a great fear when one of mine foals-- my heart goes out to you, and mega jingles for her little daughter...

Zu Zu
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:47 AM
Thoughts and prayers and hugs for this family ~ human and equine ~

RIP ~ Hidden Viggorish ~ knowing you will always be loved and remembered ~

Huge Jingles for the filly ~
JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~

kmbhoya2000
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:00 AM
WOw, so sorry. Thoughts & prayers are with you. We have lost 2 foals this year...praying for the rest...

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:19 AM
And not a great update..apparently the filly has some issues: rotated vertebrae in her neck which will force her head to the right.....we're going to give her 24 hours and see what happens I guess.

Justa Bob
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:31 AM
So, so very sorry for your loss and the baby's challenges. Jingles and best wishes.

merrygoround
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:36 AM
Jingles, and good thoughts.

Calena
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
Big_Tag, my prayers are with you. So sorry you've experienced this tragedy. Many, many hugs for your comfort and encouragement. Jingling for the well being of the foal.

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks everyone. A little disheartened by the update..They said she is bright and alert though, and wants to live. I don't know how bad rotated neck vertebrae really is. I know she hasnt been up on her own yet but that happens. Maybe she'll be a little fighter.

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:49 AM
Don't know about the particular injury, but babies can surprise you...hoping for a good outcome....

LaurieB
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:16 AM
I'm so sorry about your mare and best of luck with the filly. We lost a mare and foal last week. This has just been a terrible year for a lot of TB breeders.

Las Olas
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm so sorry about your mare and best of luck with the filly. We lost a mare and foal last week.

What!?!

kmbhoya2000
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
I'm so sorry about your mare and best of luck with the filly. We lost a mare and foal last week. This has just been a terrible year for a lot of TB breeders.

Sorry for your loss; we've heard that there have been a lot of losses around; doesn't help make it any easier...

Laurierace
Feb. 24, 2011, 12:30 PM
Op, so sorry for your loss. Jingling like crazy for the foal, I hope they can fix the problem. Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss as well.

Somermist
Feb. 24, 2011, 12:38 PM
Oh, so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this terrible time. Hope your filly pulls through.

elsbet
Feb. 24, 2011, 12:47 PM
This is so sad. Sending my jingles for your filly....... Hugs to you and Laurie on your losses.

Skeezix
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:04 PM
So very sad. Jingles . . .

jennywho
Feb. 24, 2011, 02:36 PM
So sorry for you loss and many many jingles for your little filly. Like the others I have seen foals come out of all kinds of weird issues. We had one little dummy foal that didn't get up on her own for almost two weeks and she grew up just fine. Hang in there, I know you are probably dealing with a gamut of stress, shock, grief and worry, it will get better.

chemteach
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:22 PM
So sorry. Jingling for you and the filly.

Tiger Horse
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
Our mare, Hidden Viggorish, who still holds the world record for 3yo fillies on a 5/8 mile track, foaled her first foal, a filly, late last night. She never got up after that; we think she ruptured her uterine artery. She died.

The filly is quite immature and not doing well (despite being a couple days late, actually) and was rushed to the clinic. Please jingle for her recovery; it would be horrible to lose the mare and have nothing left from her at all.

So very sad. Jinlges for the filly. Hugs for you.

jennywho
Feb. 24, 2011, 04:24 PM
I was going to add, if you are sitting at home feeling helpless you might google dysmature (might be dis) foals. It sounds like that may be what's going on with your filly. It's when they are born past their due date, but have the symptoms of a preemie (floppy ears, lax joints, silky coat, etc)

Luvinfoofy
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
So sorry to hear about your mare. Warm thoughts for the baby. I knew a horse at Arlington that went on to race after breaking her neck as a baby. She always held her head crooked, but it didn't seem to bother her. Jingles.

AppJumpr08
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
Oh I am so terribly sorry :(

Loud jingles for the little filly - I hope she improves for you!

Somermist
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:10 PM
Any news on your filly? Continued prayers & jingles.

KBEquine
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:29 PM
Jingles from Pennsylvania - losing a mare is heartbreaking. Losing the foal is equally so. We've done both & I really feel for you.

A couple years ago, we had a foal we were sure wouldn't make it - stepped on at a couple days old, needed surgery & probably wouldn't ever be right.

Long story short - she's "right" & a healthy, hearty whopping 17-hander.

Don't give up until it's time to give up.

And let us know how things go. We're pulling for you.

Polydor
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lots of Jingles!

Rotated vertabre .. is that fixable ?

P.

mintano
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:37 PM
Sending jingles your way for both you and your filly!

onthehill
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm so sorry. My prayers go to you and your family. I will give an extra kiss to our litte guy tomorrow for baby Vig.

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 07:38 PM
No real update yet. She is eating fine and is on IVs..at this point my understanding is it seems the neck vertebrae is her only real problem. I haven't seen her but I guess she is big, big-framed but under-developed, but that alone isn't a horrible problem. She hasn't been up on her own yet which isn't THAT concerning, but they won't know a lot until she IS up on her own.

Again..this is all second or third-hand..the filly is at a clinic a good distance away. But CVM was mentioned (cervical vertebral malformation). Through my research I ascertained this doesn't usually surface until a little older. But if it IS that, it doesn't necessarily seem that alone would kill her.

I feel like it's bad luck to just call her "she" or "it" so I named her Solamente, Spanish for "only" and will be calling her Solo for the time being. Her grandmother is named Tia Maria so it's somewhat "on topic," so to speak.

Actually, Tia is carrying a full brother or sister to Vigg. It would be very fitting for her to be carrying a filly, I guess.

Anyway..thank you so much for the jingles and if she makes it to the weekend, we will hopefully get the chance to get over to see her. As I said, word is she is very bright and alert and "wants to live" which is better than the alternative at this point :)

Zu Zu
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jingles continue for Solo ~

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ~

fooler
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:23 PM
Big_Tag and LaurieB - So sorry to hear about your losses. Breeding is not for the sissies and my hat is off to those who dare.

Jingles to your filly and to you Big_Tag. At my old barn we had a filly born at 13 months who thrived. Also had a few orphan and orphaned foals with varying success. Hoping you are able to locate a nurse mare as that will give her the best shot.

PS - Love her name!

ladybugred
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:30 PM
Oh, I am SO sorry about your mare, she was a beauty!

MANY MANY jingles for the foal.

LBR

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:45 PM
Big_Tag and LaurieB - So sorry to hear about your losses. Breeding is not for the sissies and my hat is off to those who dare.

Jingles to your filly and to you Big_Tag. At my old barn we had a filly born at 13 months who thrived. Also had a few orphan and orphaned foals with varying success. Hoping you are able to locate a nurse mare as that will give her the best shot.

PS - Love her name!

We lost a filly two years ago as well..our first one in YEARS..she injured her shoulder ligaments either in birth or trying to stand and never got up..lived for about two weeks and ultimately died of a ruptured bladder/ensuing infection once that was repaired. Her full sister born last year is beautiful, strong and healthy though.

Nurse mare won't be a problem; there's a farm who provides them on call, so when/if Solo is ready, she'll have a mama ;)

Big_Tag
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:57 PM
If anyone is interested, here's some pictures/info of/on Viggorish. I'm trying hard not to think too much about her and root for her baby...but she was such a great mare.
http://www.harnessracing.com/images/bin/499.jpg
http://img839.imageshack.us/i/i1162764400.jpg/sr=1
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=77714488613&set=a.440965533613.239615.77714403613&theater
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=412105573613&set=a.412105568613.187797.77714403613&theater

And on her retirement: http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=80818

Somermist
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:04 PM
Continued good thoughts, prayers & jingles for your little Solo.

Carol Ames
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:15 PM
I am so sorry:cry: After experiencing the loss of a mare, due to a uterine tear, we then lost the foal a colt, bred for the Triple Crown races The mares' first foal a filly had won several races as a 2 year old and there was great hope for the colt, by Pleasant Colony; and the mare:cry: I figured later that, there had been 50 years of experience in the foaling stall that night; yet, we ( Lazy Lane as owners lost both the colt had broken ribs in the delivery and then suffered kidney failure; I think we all cried; I know the farm manager did; as well as us"worker bees:winkgrin: It made me realize that every living foal is a blessing:yes: , as well as a miracle!:yes: Peace to you all , and your filly; give her lots of human touch, rubbing; stimulating her muzzle, kissing works s well:winkgrin: You must replace the stimulation she would have gotten from the mare, rubbing and licking; wet your hand and rub her upper gums:yes::cry::cry: that will help to stimulate the neurological:yes: connections

Carol Ames
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:24 PM
I would think that with a good chiro it is, I was told and shown by an excellent holistic vet that with foals vertebrae can often be" motioned" back in place; I 've seen/ known it to happen; hope it does for your filly, too:yes:;)[quote=Polydor;5447913]Lots of Jingles!

Rotated vertebra .. is that fixable ?

P.[/q

Big_Tag
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:35 AM
Solo is eating well, bowels and bladder are working. She hasn't made any effort to get up unassisted yet...Remains alert and happy though.

Carol--Thanks for the info. Hopefully the clinic will be doing those things for her. I passed along the chiro info to my dad to relay, though.

Zu Zu
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Jingles for Solo ~

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic `

danceronice
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:56 AM
Oh, I'm glad the latest update is cautiously optimistic...at least it's not bad news, anyway! I always get nervous when I see threads like this with new posts until I know it's not bad news.

Still jingling!

Brandy76
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:00 AM
Huge jingles for Solo! I am so very sorry for your loss.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Toadie's mom
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:09 AM
Sending hugs to you and Solo from TX. Love the name!

Somermist
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:19 AM
Praying and jingling for little Solo this morning. How is she?

Big_Tag
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:27 AM
Praying and jingling for little Solo this morning. How is she?

Somermist, an update is on post 40 I believe. She's still okay.

I changed the thread title to kill some of the drama of opening the thread ;)

judybigredpony
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:42 AM
Jingles for the filly

Heres hoping its for a brighter future

My Dynaformer mare didn't catch and my best Sprint mare lost her Great Notion foal last week @ 9 months gestation...apparently mare had to much amniotic fluid.....Hyp..somthing Anmiotic and its expensive to keep mare in foal even @ clinic if you catch it before they abort.
Mare was huge, but last year she went 362 days and had a gignatic filly.
MY BFF had 2 mares lost foals this spring and one trying to go premie..just a crappy year so far :(

SeeHowSheRuns
Feb. 25, 2011, 02:14 PM
My Dynaformer mare didn't catch and my best Sprint mare lost her Great Notion foal last week @ 9 months gestation...apparently mare had to much amniotic fluid.....Hyp..somthing Anmiotic and its expensive to keep mare in foal even @ clinic if you catch it before they abort.

Hydrops?

fivehorses
Feb. 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
Jingles for Solo. I love the name too.
Breeding can be such a heartbreaker and I am so sorry for the loss of your mare. Her pics are beautiful.
Solo has big shoes to fill, so come on little Solo, make your momma proud.

Calamber
Feb. 25, 2011, 02:58 PM
O my, I guess I should not have opened that first photo of Viggy, BT. Immediate tears. Wings on her feet for sure! Hang on baby, you have great things ahead of you and mom is flying solo for now.

Big_Tag
Feb. 25, 2011, 04:07 PM
http://xwebapp.ustrotting.com/absolutenm/templates/?a=41276&z=63

Sugarbrook
Feb. 25, 2011, 05:51 PM
Many good wishes for Solo from Sugarbrook Farm and all the ponies. Hang in there Solo!!!!

msrobin
Feb. 26, 2011, 04:51 PM
JINGLES FOR SOLO from Ocala... I am so sorry for the loss of your mare. I know how hard losing one is. Please post pics of Solo when you can, I know we all would love to see him.

Perfect name by the way I love it.

maxxtrot
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:36 PM
i work for a large clinic here in ocala. lots of breeding problems this year. clinics here are all full of foals, clinics in kent. are also all full. usually have about 25 this time of year, they are over 100. it seems to be all over. have have two red bags in the last week.just seems to starting off rough all over. i sure hope it gets better, or it will be a long painful year.
hang in there solo.

Third Glance
Feb. 26, 2011, 11:34 PM
There have been several articles about this:

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2011/02/25/university-of-kentucky-reports-increase-in-placentitis-cases.aspx

MunchkinsMom
Feb. 26, 2011, 11:50 PM
I'm sorry for the loss of your grand mare, and jingling big jingles for Solo.

twistoffate
Feb. 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
Jingles for Solo and all her people

Big_Tag
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:24 PM
We went to see little Solo today. Little is not accurate. She is freakishly big. Probably 140-150lbs. Which, sadly, is probably what caused both her vertebral problem and her mother's death. She still hasn't been up on her own yet but continues to eat well. Every day she makes a little progress so..fingers crossed. When they get her up she stands on her fetlocks and can't support herself. However, they said she is doing better every day..but she needs to be able to get up and stay up on her own at some point, clearly.

I got a few pics today but really..she doesn't look great so I see no need to post them at this point.

judybigredpony
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:09 PM
Big_Tag..if this helps my one mare went 362 days last year...her filly was HUGE, she was windswept, her front legs looked like big "C"s so bowed back and her hind fetlock was twisted and displaced.
She could not get up nor walk period.

The trainer told me not to come down I would be upset...so of course I drove the 2.5 hours..

Thru the grace of God and awesome care givers we milked the mare round the clock bottle feed and every 2 hours 3-4 of us got her up and walked her one leg @ a time round that stall. Mare was amazing thru whole process. Eventually she could stand on her own to nurse.
fast forward 1 year (almost) she is normal to average size wooly,sassy and every leg and joint is absolutely straight and perfect.
Mother Nature is wonderous and if its meant to be it will.

Happy thoughts and continued Jingles for her and her human family!!!!

Seehowsheruns...yes you are correct....mare is fine getting back to normal hope to try cycling and bred her in april....
keep wanting to call it Hydrox like the cookies :)

Somermist
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:06 PM
Big Tag, so glad you got to see her. Continued good thoughts, prayers and jingles for Solo.

MintHillFarm
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:25 AM
Op, so sorry for your loss. Jingling like crazy for the foal, I hope they can fix the problem. Laurie, I am so sorry for your loss as well.

Heartbreaking - I am so very sad for both of you.

Lots and lots of prayers to Solo from NY...

I have only had one mared that foaled and Joey, the foal, died at 6 months old. I lost my heart and courage to ever breed a mare again...

Zu Zu
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:44 AM
JINGLES FOR A DAY OF REST AND RECOVERY FOR SOLO

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE & AO ~ ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC `

Nlevie
Feb. 28, 2011, 03:47 PM
So sorry about losing your mare ! Big jingles for her fighting filly !

Somermist
Feb. 28, 2011, 03:48 PM
Prayers and jingles continue for Solo.

dianehalpin
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:02 PM
Sending prayers and jingles for Solo from Virginia.

jenm
Feb. 28, 2011, 04:34 PM
Sending prayers and jingles for Solo from California!

Fred
Feb. 28, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of your mare. Sending big jingles and prayers for your fighting filly.
Laurie B, so sorry for your loss too.

Zu Zu
Mar. 2, 2011, 07:08 PM

AppJumpr08
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:26 PM
JingleJingleJingle for little Solo!!

Somermist
Mar. 3, 2011, 07:34 PM
Any news on the little one?

Zu Zu
Mar. 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
YES, PLEASE AN UPDATE ON SOLO `

HOPE SHE IS UP AND THRIVING ~

Polydor
Mar. 6, 2011, 10:29 PM
Any update?

P.

Big_Tag
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:42 AM
Ack, sorry for the delay guys. It was a little touch-and-go earlier this week. However, Baby Solos lives! She should be fine :)

Well..fine, relatively speaking. She will never race. She is really back on her knees, which will hopefully right itself to some degree. Her neck vertebrae is rotated and twisted. Also, her pasterns, primarily her front ones, remain weak (but significantly better).

However, baby Solo can hop right up and walk unassisted out of her stall and into the aisleway at the clinic, as demonstrated yesterday:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/?action=view&current=SoloUp.jpg

She also sees fit to buck and "kick" at you if you try to guide her a particular direction.

Her little booties seem to be helped and she doesn't seem to notice anything is wrong. She actually has more trouble lying back down. The only concern the vet really has now is keeping her GI tract moving on its own. However, with her increasing mobility, it didn't seem to be too much of a concern.

The change in her from last week is amazing though. The tech who saw her when she came in was there yesterday and said she didn't give her any chance at all. When she came back in after last weekend, she couldn't believe the progress she had made. She makes more progress every day. Also..it was hard to see last week bc this is the primary position we saw her in:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/?action=view&current=Solo1.jpg

But sher really looks like her mom now. Same eyes. Which is actually the same eyes her grandmother has as well. For family resemblance purposes,

Here's Grandma:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/?action=view&current=Tia.jpg

Here's mom:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Vig.jpg

And here's mom's full sister with her 2010 filly:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Rosie.jpg

Well anyway, guess I got a little crazy with the pictures. But we're just so happy things are going well for Solo, and as the only genetic link her mom left us, the fact that she is doing well and looks so much like family is just great.

Thankls so much for all the jingles and well-wishes for her. It seems to be working :)

equinedriver
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:53 AM
I guess you weren't surprised by plain bay...............LOL.

So glad she is doing so well. Obviously you have great vet help, but in my VERY limited experience, the weak pasterns recover well. I never thought ours would be normal but by the time it was a few months old it was hard to tell they had been that way. Hope you find a nurse mare for her.

I know NOTHING about trotters, but read the obit for your mare and what a joy she was. I am so very sorry for you to lose her, truly heartbreaking.

Calena
Mar. 7, 2011, 04:35 PM
Best news I've heard all day. I've been following and hoping and praying for baby Solo. Her mother was so beautiful, what a loss. Even if she can't race, baby Solo can have a very important job as a broodmare.

Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Cruiser12
Mar. 7, 2011, 08:51 PM
YEAH Solo!

fooler
Mar. 7, 2011, 09:02 PM
Great News - each day is a victory! Sending more jingles.:D

Sugarbrook
Mar. 8, 2011, 08:48 AM
I will repeat my good wishes for a great recovery for Solo.

My filly who was in the equine hospital didnt find a nurse mare until she was 5 weeks old. It worked so well. Little small pony nursing on a 16.3 hand thoroughbred (who had just lost her #10 foal, so obviously an experienced mom).

Give us updates as you can. We do care.

ivy62
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:16 AM
yeah for solo! kudos to you for helping this little one....even if she doesn't race she will be great horse in her own way....

Zu Zu
Mar. 8, 2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for sharing picytures ~ enjoyed !

Jingle Jingle Jingle & AO ~ Always Optimistic ~

Somermist
Mar. 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
Great news. And, there are never too many pictures! Continued prayers and jingles for little Solo.

Quinn
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:26 AM
May sweet Solo continue to amaze. :) So pleased she was given the chance to heal.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

ThreeFigs
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:45 AM
Awwwww! What a little sweetie!

Prayers for continued progress!

Jumpin_Horses
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:58 AM
continued prayers and jingles for baby-Solo!

Big_Tag
Mar. 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
New pics of baby Solo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/SoloNom.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0544.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0538.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0540.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0541.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0542.jpg
Clearly prancing around the clinic like she owns the place takes its toll:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0545.jpg

She eats like a fiend. She's doing better every day; no more IV fluids for her. She's drinking water, eats her milk pellets with disdain, and will be offered hay here pretty soon. She's a bit of a brat; she runs along and bucks at you when she scoots by. I think her little spitfire ways are what pulled her through though.

She obviously still has her baby booties on for pastern support, but her left leg in particular looks a lot better this week. She needs a minor corrective surgery on a hind leg in the next few weeks, but won't be a long-term problem. The vet believes the only thing that won't straighten out is her neck; she will be back on her knees, probably, but hopefully not horribly so.

Word is she will not be getting a nurse mare. Due to her neck alignment, it's unknown if she could even nurse.

Hope you enjoy the pics! :)

Somermist
Mar. 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
What great progress. Congratulations and keep the update and pics coming. So happy for you.:)

Polydor
Mar. 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Aw she's sounds like a frisky one! Love the pics!

P.

Polydor
Mar. 13, 2011, 10:13 PM
Aw she's sounds like a frisky one! Love the pics!

P.

ivy62
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:46 AM
I do not know anything about inverted vertebrae, can they be fixed so she is at least comfy? I bet she turns out to be an awsome horse although not a racehorse....good luck, she is a cutie!

jennywho
Mar. 14, 2011, 11:16 AM
aww, she's looking so much better and uber adorable to boot. Thanks for the updates and many many more jingles for her and you.

Go Fish
Mar. 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Oh, my. She looks way better!

You are an amazing horse mom! This filly's lucky to have you!

Big_Tag
Mar. 14, 2011, 04:45 PM
Well thanks for the kind words, Go Fish, but I haven't really done anything but root for her ;) She's been at the clinic and while I'm heavily involved, I actually don't make the financial decisions for the stable, so really it's been their decision to keep her afloat.

Ivy62--I guess they don't feel the vertebrae being twisted causes her any discomfort. She certainly seems to think she is perfectly normal and doesn't seem to be in any pain. Her racing is a foregone conclusion but the vet seems to think she'll be alright as-is for pasture life. We probably won't ask her to physically carry a foal; will probably do ET.

Somermist
Mar. 14, 2011, 04:50 PM
So happy Solo continues to improve. I would think that when the time comes, with her bloodlines, ET would be a good answer. Until then, praying and jingling for her. Glad she is comfortable and improving.

witherbee
Mar. 14, 2011, 05:13 PM
Big_Tag, kudos to you for giving her this chance. She is a fiesty one! Our 2010 colt was in the clinic for the first few weeks of his life, so I know how expensive and emotional it can be (our guy is fine now - was born with an impaction).

Can she lift her neck at all? Seems like it is in that down position all the time, but was not sure if that was coincidence, or part of the twisted vertabrae issue...

Here is our healthy guy now I need to get some new pictures now that he is shedding out:
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/2010%20foal-%20All%20The%20Money%20aka%20Cash/?action=view&current=057-1.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/2010%20foal-%20All%20The%20Money%20aka%20Cash/?start=all

Best of luck with her!

Big_Tag
Mar. 14, 2011, 05:20 PM
Big_Tag, kudos to you for giving her this chance. She is a fiesty one! Our 2010 colt was in the clinic for the first few weeks of his life, so I know how expensive and emotional it can be (our guy is fine now - was born with an impaction).

Can she lift her neck at all? Seems like it is in that down position all the time, but was not sure if that was coincidence, or part of the twisted vertabrae issue...

Here is our healthy guy now I need to get some new pictures now that he is shedding out:
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/2010%20foal-%20All%20The%20Money%20aka%20Cash/?action=view&current=057-1.jpg

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i245/wtryan/2010%20foal-%20All%20The%20Money%20aka%20Cash/?start=all

Best of luck with her!

He is gorgeous!

Yknow..no, I don't think she can get her neck all that high, or she at least likes to carry it pretty low. I do know it's not been mentioned as a concern. They seemed much more concerned at the clinic with her being unable to get low enough to graze, etc but that's not been a problem. It's kind of hard to say bc her downhill appearance is exacerbated by the fact that her pasterns haven't straightened up in front.

However, in this photo:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/IMG_0541.jpg

You see the trash can at the end? I don't have a photo of it but she was playing with the lid (hence its lopsided appearance) so I guess she physically CAN raise her neck.

Zu Zu
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:08 PM
JINGLES CONTINUE ``

JINGLE JINGLE JINGLE

AO`AO`AO ` ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC ``

IrishWillow
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:16 PM
So sorry to hear. Jingles for the little filly!

Big_Tag
Mar. 17, 2011, 11:43 AM
Solo is still fine, but our next mare scheduled to foal delivered a stillborn colt this morning. We're really striking out. Two left to foal, let's hope these two can hold it together. Geez.

ETA: The colt was huge. close to 200lbs.

MintHillFarm
Mar. 17, 2011, 11:54 AM
Oh no...I am sorry! Sending prayers your way for your mares and Solo.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 17, 2011, 11:22 PM
Wow. When it rains, it pours. So sorry, Big_Tag, and sending best wishes for the last two...

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:33 PM
Big_Tag...I believe Solo is at Brown Equine in Somerset, PA?? I recognize from the pictures. Jingles for the precious little girl and I might stop in and say "Hi" to her!

Big_Tag
Mar. 18, 2011, 02:59 PM
Yep, but not for long; she should be leaving soon!

europa
Mar. 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
More Solo pictures....More Solo pictures....

I love following this thread. Love this baby!

danceronice
Mar. 18, 2011, 07:10 PM
Go, Solo, go! Jingles for her continued improvement.

Zu Zu
Mar. 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
More Jingles for Solo ~~~

AppJumpr08
Mar. 19, 2011, 08:15 PM
Just showed DH all of Solo's pictures to date - Go Solo Go!!!!!!

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 21, 2011, 11:37 AM
Yep, but not for long; she should be leaving soon!

Whoo Hoo!!! Happy dance!

Big_Tag
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:00 PM
Figured I'd post a little Solo update with new pics :)

It turns out, her hock seems to be straightening on its own so she isn't going to need surgery after all. Her "foal crocs" came off for a while but the doc put them back on for the time being. However, you can see her pasterns/front legs look a TON better. She's looking much more normal. Her neck is still wonked but she clearly does not care.

Pictures! She looks so much like her mom in some of these, it is seriously unnerving:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-7.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-6.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-5.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo328-3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/solo328-1.jpg

She's leaving the clinic really soon. They've done such a good job with her, I can't say enough good things about the care they've given her thus far.

Enjoy :)

Third Glance
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
The improvement is truly startling!

Congrats to her, the clinic, and you! :-)

Somermist
Mar. 29, 2011, 08:41 PM
Oh, the pictures are great. Solo looks fantastic. Congratulations.:winkgrin:

elsbet
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:28 AM
So happy to hear the good news!!! She is beautiful... I hope she is able to come home soon.

Go, Solo!!!!

europa
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:50 AM
This thread just makes me feel soo good and I want to steal Solo!!!

PULEZ PULEZ keep us updated with pictures she is looking fantastic.

I want to squeeze and kiss her nose soo badly! HAHA

witherbee
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:07 AM
She looks really great! What a pretty face and soft expression. She is one lucky girl and really looks to be improving. Go Solo! I agree - please update us periodically - she is a special girl.

Nlevie
Mar. 30, 2011, 11:50 AM
She looks so much better and I have no doubt she will continue to improve !
Keep up the updates and pics -

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:19 PM
I will be up there today so I will stop in and say hi to the little girl! That clinic and Dr. Brown has been a blessing to this area. We are so lucky to have him here!!!

Big_Tag
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:31 PM
I will be up there today so I will stop in and say hi to the little girl! That clinic and Dr. Brown has been a blessing to this area. We are so lucky to have him here!!!

Oh, yay! give me a kiss for her. She looooves her wonkneck scratched, in the one picture she was nearly falling over while my sister scratched her neck ;)

AppJumpr08
Mar. 30, 2011, 01:46 PM
YAY SOLO!!! My gosh she looks amazing! What a sweet sweet baby - I just want to squeeze her :)

Thank you so much for keeping us updated!

BoyleHeightsKid
Mar. 31, 2011, 06:58 AM
Oh, yay! give me a kiss for her. She looooves her wonkneck scratched, in the one picture she was nearly falling over while my sister scratched her neck ;)
Stopped in and saw her! She's such a little pistol! She had just finished her meal and then bolted out of her stall to inspect everything. When does she get to go home?

Big_Tag
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:16 PM
Stopped in and saw her! She's such a little pistol! She had just finished her meal and then bolted out of her stall to inspect everything. When does she get to go home?

Yeah she really has them wrapped around her finger up there ;) She's at some point actually going to have to learn she is a horse, not a human.
I'm not 100% sure when she is leaving. She won't get to go home for a while yet regardless; she is heading to a tech's place for a "halfway house" of sorts. She's going to need more monitoring for a while than our current boarding facility really can offer her.
As I'm sure you noticed, BoyleHeightsKid, she's not the prettiest-moving thing, but it sure doesn't seem to bother her!!

ivy62
Mar. 31, 2011, 07:22 PM
this is wonderful news! she is unique that's all. who says she has to be like everyone else, remember the movie happy feet! she has a purpose we just do not know what it is.....

BoyleHeightsKid
Apr. 4, 2011, 07:19 AM
As I'm sure you noticed, BoyleHeightsKid, she's not the prettiest-moving thing, but it sure doesn't seem to bother her!!

You can see she's very happy! That's all that counts!

Polydor
Apr. 12, 2011, 05:10 AM
So is the little girl home now ??

P.

Big_Tag
Apr. 12, 2011, 12:15 PM
So is the little girl home now ??

P.

No, not yet. She ended up having surgery on her knee and hock. She is ready to come home and there's no need for her to go to a "halfway house" of sorts. The only problem is..we have no one to put her out with! Until the breeding farm has something ready to wean, we're kind of at a standstill. But, physically, she is totally ready to come home.

Big_Tag
Apr. 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Drumrolll please....

Ms. Solo left the clinic today!! She did end up going to a vet tech's simply bc we don't currently have a buddy for her, but she is outta there!! :) :)

MardiGrasTimeStable
Apr. 14, 2011, 11:27 PM
YAY!!!! So Glad that Solo is OUT of the clinic. "halfway house" or not, she's halfway home and no longer under vet care which is huge considering where she's come from.

Polydor
Apr. 15, 2011, 12:51 AM
*claps* YAY! Very happy to hear that.

What type of surgery did she end up having if you don't mind me asking ?

P.

Big_Tag
Apr. 15, 2011, 09:13 AM
*claps* YAY! Very happy to hear that.

What type of surgery did she end up having if you don't mind me asking ?

P.

I apologize, I don't know what it's actually called, but the gist was that he went in there and relieved pressure on the joint(s) in her one knee and hock to encourage straight(ening) growth.

Apparently he was pleased enough w/ the results to send her home. I mean she will clearly never race but she's doing well and really, the only concern now is making her into a solid citizen since she really has no idea she is a horse at this point. Time to learn her some manners!

Big_Tag
May. 10, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thought I'd update. Solo is doing....eh, just see for yourself ;)

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/?action=view&current=SoloVideo.mp4

Sorry for the quality; off a phone!

mroades
May. 10, 2011, 08:48 PM
oh my gosh she looks amazing

Leprechaun
May. 10, 2011, 09:10 PM
What a story. She looks great. Congrats!

ridexc
May. 11, 2011, 12:21 AM
I remember your mare racing in the Breeders Crown at Mohawk -- up against some staggeringly good mares (Snazzy Mille, Pure Ivory, Mystical Sunshine) and holding her own. So sorry for her loss. Hope her talent will live on through her filly ... amazing the progress she has made!

Nlevie
May. 11, 2011, 10:01 AM
How wonderful - she looks great ! Hope she continues to improve.

ivy62
May. 11, 2011, 10:07 AM
She looks great! How is her neck? can she graze...Nice to see her out and about..

Big_Tag
May. 11, 2011, 09:36 PM
I remember your mare racing in the Breeders Crown at Mohawk -- up against some staggeringly good mares (Snazzy Mille, Pure Ivory, Mystical Sunshine) and holding her own. So sorry for her loss. Hope her talent will live on through her filly ... amazing the progress she has made!

Thanks :) She was only 4 when she went up against them. Her 5yo year was blown by some bizarro incident (they think she fell in the field, and injured her back, but no one really knows exactly). When she returned as a 6yo she was perfect and we sent her back up there and, as she was prone to do, she tied up before the Armbro Flight stakes. But thank you; she was wicked fast and wicked tough. I think Solo inherited some of that toughness bc the Vet commented on her heart and attitude to get through all that she did.

She looks great! How is her neck? can she graze...Nice to see her out and about..

I actually haven't seen her in over a month. The video was sent by her caretaker (PS I love the quiet gelding in the middle completely nonplussed by her cavorting). However, I understand if you didn't know about her neck, you might not even notice. She certainly seems to get around alright ;)

She always could lower her head enough to graze, luckily.

Big_Tag
Jun. 6, 2011, 07:22 PM
I took a bunch of pictures of Solo Memorial Day weekend, when she had just turned three months old; enjoy!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/
(Only the first 16 are worth looking at; then they begin to repeat bc photobucket was in a snit)

It's very difficult to see but much easier to feel..on her left side, where one would give an intramuscular shot, is precisely where her spine sits. Very eerie. But as you can see, the rest of her looks pretty good ;)

Foaling season is over. It's been a rough one. We lost Solo's mom, the next mare's colt, then we had one healthy colt (https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=657493675592&set=a.657493560822.2161125.35100011&type=1&theater) and then Solo's granddam foaled a full brother to Viggorish last Thursday backwards and upside down. He too is at the clinic and is a windswept mess; he's still touch and go. I have no idea what orchestrated this disasstrous season but I'm really glad it's over!

Toadie's mom
Jun. 6, 2011, 09:33 PM
My gosh, what a horrible year you've had:cry: I'm really sorry. Solo does look good though!

Wishing you better luck for the rest of the year, and beyond!!!!!!!

MyssMyst
Jun. 6, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'm so sorry this year has been rough. Stupid universe! I'm glad she's doing better. Please keep us posted.

equinedriver
Jun. 13, 2011, 09:44 PM
I haven't checked in here for a long time and I am stunned at how great she looks compared to the beginning. So happy for you. Sorry you had such a tough year. I am always eternally grateful for the breeders that are dedicated so that I, who has NO interest in trying to breed one for myself, can buy a fabulous horse to enjoy.........

Polydor
Sep. 17, 2011, 05:49 AM
Haven't been in the Racing forum for a while and managed to find this thread again. Loved those pics from June. She looks like a happy girl!

P.

Big_Tag
Sep. 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
Haven't been in the Racing forum for a while and managed to find this thread again. Loved those pics from June. She looks like a happy girl!

P.

For anyone interested, I gave her her own album on photobucket, and it's in chronological order (first picture is her at 3 days old). There are more recent photos, probably from July-ish, as well, the last two:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/

It's jaw-dropping to see how she's evolved over the months. Dr. Brown is considering writing a case study on her bc she is such an anomaly.

witherbee
Sep. 23, 2011, 09:09 AM
She looks great! What a sucess story. She was lucky to have such a dedicated owner.

Big_Tag
Sep. 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
She looks great! What a sucess story. She was lucky to have such a dedicated owner.

To be honest, not to sound callous, but she was lucky to have been born a filly. Had she been a colt we likely would have put her down. However, given who her mother was, and the fact that embryo transfer is now a viable option, trying to save her was a no-brainer. Our philosophy was that as long as she wanted to live, we'd give her the chance and her will to live/stand/walk was unwavering. She's about the happiest filly you'll ever meet :)

Big_Tag
Sep. 19, 2012, 07:46 PM
Old thread, I know, but here's how baby Solo grew up!

So you don't have to scroll through this entire saga, here's Solo at a few days old:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/Solo1.jpg

Solo at a couple weeks:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/SoloUp.jpg

Solo a few weeks ago (about 18 months old):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/YealringSolo_zps26444917.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/Soloyrlin_zps0f452aaf.jpg

She's wonky, no doubt, and she's only breeding sound. But, under the physical defects that appear to all be associated with her birth--not genetic defect--there are some really good qualities.

Just thought y'all who might remember her would like to see how she is doing!

(ETA for anyone who wants to see her progress-- http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v303/RouxKazoo/Solo%20February%2023%202011/)

mroades
Sep. 20, 2012, 07:50 PM
wow, she looks great!

JGHIRETIRE
Sep. 20, 2012, 11:05 PM
She looks wonderful. What an amazing little girl.
Thanks for the update!!!

drawstraws
Sep. 20, 2012, 11:06 PM
I love seeing updates like this! I missed this thread last year and would have hated to read through the whole thing now and not known how it turned out. She looks absolutely fantastic!

But now I'm curious, what ended up happening with the colt (her granddam's foal)?

runwayz
Sep. 20, 2012, 11:08 PM
How is her neck? Can she raise and lower it ok? She is lovely! What a great story.

FalseImpression
Sep. 20, 2012, 11:15 PM
wow, great progress... she is so lucky you believed in her!

trubandloki
Sep. 21, 2012, 08:07 AM
Wow, she looks wonderful.

Big_Tag
Sep. 21, 2012, 07:38 PM
I love seeing updates like this! I missed this thread last year and would have hated to read through the whole thing now and not known how it turned out. She looks absolutely fantastic!

But now I'm curious, what ended up happening with the colt (her granddam's foal)?

He's good, thank you for asking! He's a bit of a pony and pretty immature yet. He had some surgeries early on to correct some things and he had to have OCDs removed from his hocks and they're a bit boggy. However, he is otherwise not a bad looking colt. We already went ahead and gelded him, and we're also going to break him here this fall and see what we have. There's nothing really wrong with him that would preclude him from racing other than his size and if his hocks have more issues than just bogginess, but he IS a June foal and may yet grow enough. If he doesn't show us anything, we'll try to place him in an adoptive home :)

Big_Tag
Sep. 21, 2012, 07:47 PM
How is her neck? Can she raise and lower it ok? She is lovely! What a great story.

Yes, everything works ok. Her neck is low-set though, as you can see, but she can lift it. She's back on her knees as the photo shows but this is more than likely a product again of her birth issues.. and while she IS big-headed (which, she has every right to be; her sire throws big headed types and her mom, proportionally, had a very large head) it is exacerbated by her shortened, weakened neck. Her neck vertebrae curves rather severely (right above her jugular groove you can feel her vertebrae. It is unsettling). However, she has no problem getting around, eating, grazing, etc.