PDA

View Full Version : An Amazing Dressage Freestyle Concept!

Mike Matson
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:54 AM
I'm blown away! Now this is truly "riding to music"! :yes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7m-x6-QVtNc

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:58 AM
I hope it was the speakers on my computer but the music was awful!!
And I was amazed that the music kept playing when he had his hand on the horse.

Cool idea but not my cup of tea.

Oberon13
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:01 AM
Being a musician and a dressage rider, I've often thought how cool it would be to ride to live music. I'm not sure about having the "live music" in the ring with me...but, I have this picture in my mind of a raised platform outside of the ring with a 9' Steinway on it and a man in a tux with tails playing as I ride. That would be sweet!

siegi b.
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
I think Oberon is on to something...!

A guy playing three cords over and over on an electric guitar? Not so much.....

Canterbury Court
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:25 PM
Nice demo for a fundraiser.

Pony Fixer
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Really? A top hat with a T-shirt? :(

2tempe
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:48 AM
Love the concept - my fantasy is someone playing classical or latin/spanish guitar (non-electric...). That someone would have to be not only GOOD but brave enough to stand in the ring hoping the horse did not decide to do something dumb.

I agree w/ others, this music was not the greatest, and rider should lose the top hat or the rest of the wardrobe.

Megaladon
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
While I think riding to a live band would be awesome, I think they should stay out of the arena--if it's for competition at least, because it's a little distracting not wanting them to collide and all.

merrygoround
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:17 AM
I hope it was the speakers on my computer but the music was awful!!
And I was amazed that the music kept playing when he had his hand on the horse.

Cool idea but not my cup of tea.

He was chording with his other hand. He has two. ;)

Elsewise-Not too terribly impressed.

Calhoun
Feb. 25, 2011, 11:31 AM

I was sorta thinking the same thing.

The music did not match the the horse/rider. It seemed like the whole thing was hastily put together. Thumbs down.

GimmeQs
Feb. 26, 2011, 12:06 AM
I bet Jane had been busy organizing that event. Nice to see the organizer ride her own horse in her fundraiser.

Kyzteke
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
Music WAS awful. Poor horse.

But I think it would be cool to have this walking, playing minstral following you around as you ride. Fancy.

Also fun -- try this in REINING! See how close the horse can slide without mowing the guitar player down.

netg
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:27 AM
I liked the concept. Loved the horse. Mainly I wanted the camera to leave the guitar player alone so I could see more of the horse. :lol:

(Disclaimer: I tend to feel that way about MOST upper level horses I see going semi-decently or better... I can find critiques, but am too horse crazy not to love most of them!)

I do think a lot of the comments on how it could have been better were pretty accurate, but I am guessing she didn't put a ton of time into this given it was a one-time exhibition and had other things to do, like set up the event. It was neat to think about as a concept, and go "hmmm... my friends who I'm having do my freestyle music could fit all 17 of them plus instruments inside a 20m circle..."

ButterflyIris
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:31 AM
I liked it because it was different. It would have been nice if the guitar player had a little bit more range... It did seem like they 'winged' it a little bit and may have benefited from more practice - but overall done in a very fun vibe.

Squirt
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:48 AM
I liked it because it was different. It would have been nice if the guitar player had a little bit more range... It did seem like they 'winged' it a little bit and may have benefited from more practice - but overall done in a very fun vibe.

This

Fairview Horse Center
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:57 AM
The whole benefit of using a live guitar player would be that they could stay on rhythm with the horse's movements. The song (and player) had no rhythm to go with the gaits.

My husband plays guitar, and it would be SO easy to get him to play along with the movement, and it would ALL be like Blue Hors Matine's video at 1:52 - 2:03 minute mark, and 5:29 - 6:00. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw In that case the rider is keeping her on rhythm with his back, especially on the last line as you can see it go just slightly off, and she gets back on perfect rhythm, because his seat holds the rhythm and she stays with his back/seat.

Guitar players can speed up or slow down a song to stay with the beat. <They do it to "stay with" a bad drummer all of the time ;) >

Sabovee
Feb. 26, 2011, 11:11 AM

Agreed. I was too distracted by her "look". Swing and a miss.

ridealot
Feb. 27, 2011, 08:05 AM
Very cool............ you always find great videos....thank you for sharing.

Wild Rose
Feb. 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
The whole benefit of using a live guitar player would be that they could stay on rhythm with the horse's movements. The song (and player) had no rhythm to go with the gaits.
Guitar players can speed up or slow down a song to stay with the beat. <They do it to "stay with" a bad drummer all of the time ;) >

This. I found lack of rhythm the most distracting. I would have rather just watched her ride - no crazy guitar riffs needed!

Lora
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:09 PM
Music was awful - sounded the same. Would have been better with a actual song (that people know).

belambi
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:37 PM
All I could think of was the coconuts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcLQRXW6B0