PDA

View Full Version : Move Over Totilas! Shetland Dressage!

Mike Matson
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:33 AM
Big warmbloods for dressage are so yesterday! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ta_zJZYpQ

kaluha2
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:12 AM
I wonder if his name is Mattel as he looks like a little wind up toy. Very cute.

Lieslot
Feb. 24, 2011, 07:03 AM
I want one!!!! :D

mimiwenk
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:14 AM
the rider looks too big for the cutie

Auburn
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:40 AM
Nice pony!

The last Shetland that I rode was named Brown Sugar. She would suddenly drop her head, buck a bit and cause all of her riders to do a front flip over her head. :D

Suitability of horse to rider would definitely come into factor.

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:54 AM
He is TOOO cute!
Wonder if they could to a pas a duex (ok I can't spell!)

Oberon13
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:03 AM
I'd love to know how long his polo wraps are...so tiny!!

Adorable...

Aelfleah Farm
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
All they need now is some tiny tot with great hands and seat! Judges would have to score them in the 80's just on cuteness alone!

Mrs.ChickenBritches
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:41 AM
I love his little legs! So adorable!

Perfect Pony
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
Love him! Totally want one...how close to the ground can I get?

mzm farm
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:29 AM
Cute pony (as most are), but a totally ridiculous looking match between him/her and the rider. Seems pretty typical pony gaits, quickening instead of lengthening.
Is the pony being schooled for a kid/petite rider?
I honestly do not get the point of making a big deal of it.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:54 AM
Oh how cute! I'll take two please. Thank you.

Kyzteke
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:55 AM
The last Shetland that I rode was named Brown Sugar. She would suddenly drop her head, buck a bit and cause all of her riders to do a front flip over her head. :D

Holy Smoke! The last Shetland I rode was named GumDrop and she would do the same thing! Lawn darted me a number of times as an unwary 9 yr old! Is that a Shetland thing?

As for the pony in the vid -- well, we DO all know any horse can do dressage, and at least the gal doesn't need a mounting block...

Gestalt
Feb. 24, 2011, 12:52 PM
Very cute pony, well groomed and fit. But the big rider made me feel sorry for the little guy. Me no like.

midkniggit
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:00 PM
Awww! I was scribing once when an itty bitty kid on an itty bitty shetland entered the ring to do an intro test. The judge turned to me and demanded to know how on earth she was supposed to give an objective score to a pair that cute. She said the adorable kids should have to go in their own class :lol:

netg
Feb. 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
Very cute pony, well groomed and fit. But the big rider made me feel sorry for the little guy. Me no like.

Totally. I think the pony was carrying itself better and moving more nicely than a typical small pony like that - actually getting benefit from the dressage. But I sure felt bad for it that it had to carry a rider who, despite being relatively thin, probably weight almost half what it does!

I definitely DON'T want one! For about a year I was riding a 14hh pony, and his gaits were too short for me (and he was a decent mover!) - I can't imagine how much I'd dislike riding something like that! I'll start any hypothetical future kids on nice babysitter QH-types. :)

Midkniggit - you're blowing my cover here! Really, the laughter coming from me is related to my work. Sure it is....

Velvet
Feb. 24, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'm convinced Mike spends all day on YouTube looking for things to post out here, and the more controversial the better. Just loves to stir the pot and then sit back and watch.

Wait, isn't that garage gnome behaior? :eek:

RougeEmpire
Feb. 24, 2011, 02:11 PM
I'm also not getting what the big deal is. It's a little pony being ridden BEHIND the bit and doing a little leg yeild. There is no reason "dressage" should be a big deal for any pony. All Im seeing here is a broke pony, meh.

Ibex
Feb. 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
Wow, you people have no sense of humour. It's cute, and the kid is clearly having fun!

As for too big a rider... Shetlands are well known for their ability to carry a full sized man, let alone a skinny teenaged girl...

Perfect Pony
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:22 PM
Wow, you people have no sense of humour. It's cute, and the kid is clearly having fun!

As for too big a rider... Shetlands are well known for their ability to carry a full sized man, let alone a skinny teenaged girl...

no kidding :sigh:

nls
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:24 PM
We have a couple of 10.1 hand 350lb Shetties. I kind of arbitrarily assigned a cut-off weight of 80 lbs for them which does make it hard to get them going well. The gelding was particulary naughty one cold day after getting body clipped. I happened to catch the whole thing on film! For some "Shettie gone wild" the bucking sequence is at:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=289857&id=317195320554

His little rider is bound and determined that she is going to show him in a dressage show before she gets too big! Wish we had a dressage saddle for him like the one in that video!

Kadenz
Feb. 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Awww! I was scribing once when an itty bitty kid on an itty bitty shetland entered the ring to do an intro test. The judge turned to me and demanded to know how on earth she was supposed to give an objective score to a pair that cute. She said the adorable kids should have to go in their own class :lol:

I had a very similar experience once! The kid in our ring was maybe 6, riding Intro A on a very round fuzzy pony. They were a very adorable pair (turned out to the nines), but unfortunately the pony simply would. not. continue. trotting. So the kid kept her chin up, smiled big, and posted THE WALK while kickkickkickkicking. It was freaking hilarious.

Judge and I both knew the trainer (who was calling the test) and even she could hardly keep from laughing out loud.

Judge looks at me and says, "This should be criminal. HOW am I supposed to judge this?!?! :lol:"

Gestalt
Feb. 24, 2011, 05:59 PM
We have a couple of 10.1 hand 350lb Shetties. I kind of arbitrarily assigned a cut-off weight of 80 lbs for them which does make it hard to get them going well. The gelding was particulary naughty one cold day after getting body clipped. I happened to catch the whole thing on film! For some "Shettie gone wild" the bucking sequence is at:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=289857&id=317195320554

His little rider is bound and determined that she is going to show him in a dressage show before she gets too big! Wish we had a dressage saddle for him like the one in that video!

:D Now that is adorable! What a good little rider. And to the poster that said a Shetland can carry a man, yeah, just because they can doesn't mean they should. Especially day after day. :no: So what do you think about a 900# TB carrying a 300# woman?

Mike Matson
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
It appears a couple of posters had their grumpy faces on today.

But glad to hear others enjoyed watching the video and :)

kkindley
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
LOVED IT!! It is what it is. An adorable pony doing much more advanced stuff than most ponies ever do. It's cute. Everybody looks happy. We have shetlands where I ride, and we do races. Huge deal over a picture of Boyd on one after a pro race they held at Fair Hill for fun. They can do it very comfortably. They were designed to haul coal for goodness sakes! And that pony does NOT appear to be struggling!!

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:53 PM
How cute! And please, I doubt the girl is more than 125lbs, I'm sure the pony is just fine. It does shoulder ins and everything, love it!

The rider has quiet seat and hands and the pony seems happy and willing. I'm sure the stocky little thing is just fine, it is not like he's a dainty little weakling, lol

Canterbury Court
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:54 AM
Is this what those ads mean when they say "Sadly outgrown"?

Very cute and well loved pony.

Canterbury Court
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:01 AM
As to how to judge really cute and not performing kid-pony pairs. Give the real score on the test and 100 points for general impression. Make sure they get there own award.

My 7 yr/o son showed his white pony against adults and beat them regularly because she was so obedient. Cuteness didn't hurt either.

suzy
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:30 AM
NLS, I just love your pony and his little rider is equally adorable. Thanks for posting.

nls
Feb. 25, 2011, 01:08 PM
thanks Suzy! We have a matched pair - his brother is still intact and they are almost identical in markings. His breeder bred two pintos together and got solid offspring 7 times in a row until them! His rider is the daughter of a friend of ours and she is very, very serious in her quest to be a dressage rider and is doing a great job! It is our goal to get them up the center line without Shettie shenanigans before she outgrows him!

suzy
Feb. 25, 2011, 02:32 PM
But the Shettie shenanigans are half the fun. LOL. I still have vivid memories of one particular Shettie who, whenever headed downhill with a rider, would take off bucking like a maniac. He broke a number of wrists and arms. But that cute little face was so endearing, we kept climbing back on. ;) I also recall that our parents collectively despised that pony!

Alexie
Feb. 25, 2011, 06:01 PM
there is a shetland rider who competes dressage and wins a lot, her secret is by freaking out all the warmbloods in the warming up arena they are too hyped to do a decent dressage test

big horses can't understand what's in front of their eyes when they see a shettie if they're not used to them. It's quite funny to see a 17.2 hh horse snorting and running away from a little 'un :D

brilliant!

Mozart
Feb. 25, 2011, 06:51 PM
Is this what those ads mean when they say "Sadly outgrown"?

Very cute and well loved pony.

LOL :lol:

Well, I got a kick out of the video. Frankly, I have never seen such a well behaved Shitland..er, I mean Shetland. :cool:

ridealot
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:38 PM
awesome

spottedfiona
Feb. 26, 2011, 05:26 PM
I believe this may be a video of the test to which poster Kadenz referred. Too cute!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcIQj-meTh8

Cavan
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:57 PM
Thanks Mike for another great video. Some of the people on this board need to get over themselves.

katie+tru
Feb. 27, 2011, 10:58 PM
I believe the fact that this is a Shetland pony that does not resemble a Thelwell character is a major accomplishment in and of itself! Who cares if his collection isn't all there. His legs are like, 18" long and he's working them as hard as he can!

citydog
Feb. 27, 2011, 11:29 PM
And to the poster that said a Shetland can carry a man, yeah, just because they can doesn't mean they should. Especially day after day. :no: So what do you think about a 900# TB carrying a 300# woman?

While the weight ratios might be the same the conformation and resultant weight carrying ability are likely not.