PDA

View Full Version : Zenyatta Bred today to Bernardini

Xctrygirl
Feb. 23, 2011, 12:38 PM
Per her own website..

http://www.zenyatta.com/news/diary-post-92-2

CiegoStar
Feb. 23, 2011, 12:58 PM
Glad it went well, but I'm not a fan of the "blog from the horse's point of view" thing. First, they characterize Zenyatta as a dimwitted child, and now they're talking about her sexual escapades ... it's icky.

I love getting updates about her new life but wish they'd use a less cheesy format!

spotted draft x filly
Feb. 23, 2011, 01:13 PM
I knew last night that she was going this morning. My husband once again was the one to transport her here in Lexington. He was surprised that they got the call, he figured Lanes End would of used one of their own vans.

dressagetraks
Feb. 23, 2011, 02:36 PM
The style of her diary annoys me, too. :yes:

Hope she has an uneventful pregnancy and a smooth foaling next year. All the same, I was wondering the other day, can you buy foal insurance before they're born? If I had a foal out of Z or something similar worth $$$$$$$$, I'd sure want to hedge my bets.

bcody
Feb. 23, 2011, 07:01 PM
Wasn't RA bred to Curlin this week also?

Xctrygirl
Feb. 23, 2011, 10:10 PM
Yes.

She was bred on Monday.

~Emily

Justa Bob
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:45 PM
Here's a fun article from Eventing Nation on Zenyatta and David Ingordo (who bought her for the Moss'). He works on Lane's End farm and sees her daily. Lots of details about her transition to the farm.

http://eventingnation.com/mt3/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=1&limit=20&search=zenyatta

Definitely enjoyed reading it more than the "Valley Girl" voice used for Zenyatta's update.

Dispatcher
Feb. 24, 2011, 08:03 AM
Nice to read he said Zenyatta was now allowed to just be a horse.

A term that so many on this forum always decry.

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:52 AM
Nice to read he said Zenyatta was now allowed to just be a horse.

A term that so many on this forum always decry.

Yes, because it's a silly and meaningless phrase. A horse is always a horse. Their "natural" state would be getting dumped on the steppes somewhere and left to fend for themselves, so for a domestic animal if they're breathing, they're 'being a horse.'

sisu27
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:23 AM
Yes, because it's a silly and meaningless phrase. A horse is always a horse. Their "natural" state would be getting dumped on the steppes somewhere and left to fend for themselves, so for a domestic animal if they're breathing, they're 'being a horse.'

That's what it means to you. Not sure why you think you can dictate it's meaning to everyone else. Don't you claim to be some sort of writer? Do you only write in strict, literal terms? Must be about as scintillating as a chemistry text book to read.

So stupid.

My ottb is very happy that he no longer gets shipped all over the continent and no longer has to run for a living. He is happy to just "be a horse". He runs when he feels like it. That is what the figure of speech means to me.

Anyhow, hoping the big girl has an uneventful pregnancy and a healthy foal.

Dispatcher
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:25 AM

Well, most horse people know it has another meaning. At least the one's I've know for the past 50 years.

danceronice
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:07 PM
Let's put it another way, it's silly shorthand for "nonworking." There are enough racehorses who go batshit just "being a horse" (ie, not having a purpose) that it's fairly clear it doesn't apply to any or all.

What is a horse bred to race being while racing if they're not "being a horse?" Apparently, you're dictating to me that they're not being a horse.

I save flights of fancy for fantasy I'm paid to write.

DLee
Feb. 24, 2011, 03:40 PM
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what "just being a horse" means.

Here is my favorite pic of Z lately. :)

Polydor
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:55 PM
DLee: Love the pic of her! Very cute.

Looking at her website. WOW definitely agree that is sounds like a Valley Girl writing it. But what got me were the comments.

"OMG I am crying again I am so Happyyyyyyy"

Really??

P.

LaurieB
Feb. 25, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what "just being a horse" means.

Here is my favorite pic of Z lately. :)

I love that! :)

betonbill
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:31 PM
Dumb question here. So, do they only cover her once per heat cycle?

Slewdledo
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:53 PM
They will have been palping/ultrasounding every day and bred her at just the right time to coincide with ovulation. (They do it the expensive way in KY.) On the plus side, there should be news in less than 2 weeks.

LaurieB
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:33 AM
In years past, mares were sometimes bred twice in a heat cycle if the stallion was available and the manager amenable. But now it's unnecessary. As Slewdledo pointed out, Zenyatta's vet will know when she's going to ovulate and she'll be bred just before.

Calena
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:08 AM
DLee: I love that pic. Another thank you from me.

Regarding Big Z being 'just being a horse', are they still grooming the ground before she walks on it? She's 'just a horse' like the Queen of England is just a grandma. I have no doubt the big girl is thoroughly enjoying her new career.

I read Dottie's blog and well, didn't much care for it. I think it's wonderful that Dottie takes the time to inform Zenyatta's fans and to be honest, back when I was a 12 - 14 yo girl, I would have been eating that stuff up. Even then, I probably would have preferred coming to COTH and reading about the real life of race horses and their people. To each their own, no harm, no foul.

Go Fish
Feb. 26, 2011, 03:14 PM
I love that she has "girlfriends."

houserabbitz
Feb. 26, 2011, 04:28 PM
What a sweet picture; thanks for posting, DLee.

msrobin
Feb. 26, 2011, 05:03 PM
I was thinking she would be bred to Curlin as RA was, but Bernardini is perfect too! Can't wait to see that baby!

ASB Stars
Mar. 10, 2011, 12:38 PM
And it is official! She is in foal to Berardini!

VirginiaBred
Mar. 10, 2011, 12:51 PM
In Foal!!!!!!!!!!! :)

ghazgal
Mar. 10, 2011, 01:55 PM
Big Congrats to Z and all her connections! We are all waiting for that foal..

Rubyfree
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
Zenyatta is no longer in foal. :(

http://www.zenyatta.com/news/diary-post-214

Tiempo
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
I'm so disappointed for her people.

Somermist
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:35 PM
Glad it went well, but I'm not a fan of the "blog from the horse's point of view" thing. First, they characterize Zenyatta as a dimwitted child, and now they're talking about her sexual escapades ... it's icky.

I love getting updates about her new life but wish they'd use a less cheesy format!

I totally agree, great update but ewwwwww:yes:;)

moonriverfarm
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:38 PM
I hope they name the baby "Mondatta" :winkgrin:

Lori T
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:45 PM
Just saw the message on Zenyatta's FB that she is no longer in foal...what a huge disappointment.

ClassAction
Mar. 29, 2011, 02:52 PM
Can they try again this year?

nasalberry
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:04 PM
Can they try again this year?

There's time enough to do so - I guess it depends on "why" (and if they know) she's no longer in foal.

Xctrygirl
Mar. 29, 2011, 03:06 PM
They can still bred her this year barring some health issues.

She's had plenty of time to get in foal, and many mares come off the track or get hurt mid spring and are still able to breed succesfully and not absorb their foals. So I don't think its a time away from the track issue. ( as has been mentioned online )

~Em

jenm
Mar. 30, 2011, 02:28 AM
While I'm a fan of this wonderful mare, would it be so wrong to let her have a year off to just be a horse?

VirginiaBred
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:17 AM
I just wonder if she was really let down enough. I know many mares are bred successfully after their racing career ends, but she wasn't in the majority and was so extremely fit. Just a thought.....

Third Glance
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:36 AM
As per DRF she'll be bred back to Bernie next week:

http://www.drf.com/news/zenyatta-no-longer-foal-will-be-bred-bernardini-again-next-week

witherbee
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:06 AM
Loved the picture!
Mares can absorb or abort for many reasons - whether they are just off the track or not. Plenty of time to get her in foal - we have a mare foaling in May and she may still get bred back this year (depends on how the foaling goes)...

Dispatcher
Mar. 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
I hate those silly, childish comments on Z's website. I mean, COMEON, they act like they are talking to a female human, not a horse.

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it just seems inappropriate for them to show up on the DRF article.

Guess I'm just getting old and crotchety......

dreamswept
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:11 AM
I hate those silly, childish comments on Z's website. I mean, COMEON, they act like they are talking to a female human, not a horse.

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it just seems inappropriate for them to show up on the DRF article.

Guess I'm just getting old and crotchety......

You and me both, man, you and me both. I just keep having to remind myself that most of the people posting comments on the diary are not horse people and know absolute dipsheep about horses and the breeding process, and they tend to anthropomorphize the situation too much.

I just grit my teeth, look the other way, and ignore it.

LaurieB
Mar. 30, 2011, 10:50 AM
While I'm a fan of this wonderful mare, would it be so wrong to let her have a year off to just be a horse?

A mare in her prime, "just being a horse" and coming into heat every 3 weeks, would do exactly what Zenyatta is doing--get in foal.

danceronice
Mar. 30, 2011, 12:40 PM
You and me both, man, you and me both. I just keep having to remind myself that most of the people posting comments on the diary are not horse people and know absolute dipsheep about horses and the breeding process, and they tend to anthropomorphize the situation too much.

I just grit my teeth, look the other way, and ignore it.

It may be goofy, but look at it this way--they're reading and commenting on DRF. Better than no one but 'horse people' reading it at all.