PDA

View Full Version : Region 2 show recommendations OH, IN, IL

dressagemom
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:20 AM
We are beginning to organize the season show calendar and are looking to explore some different venues. While we continue to keep Lamplight, Waterloo, Horses Shows By the Bay and Majestic Farm on the possible list, we are looking to try at least one or two different venues this season. We are located in mid-Michigan and are willing to travel 6-7 hours for a really good venue and show.

Looking for your thoughts and recommendations for shows in the mid to northern parts of OH, IL, and IN that have good footing, user friendly show managers and not too scary for young horses (4 and 5 year olds). Thanks for your help.

GallantGesture
Feb. 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
Silverwood is just over the IL border in WI, I don't know if that's too far for you or not, but it's my favorite place to show! It's a beautiful facility, not too expensive as far as nice recognized shows go (a bit less than Lamplight for example, maybe because it's WI and not Chicago), and usually draws a nice crowd but not a intimidating crowd... many of the same fancier types you see at Lamplight, but also a fair representation by off-breeds and more average horses, so it seems to me a little friendlier feeling and everyone-is-welcome type place. It also tends to be a little quieter atmosphere than Lamplight, there are 4 show rings but often only 2 or 3 of them are going. It is located out in the country, so it's an easy haul. The stables are long, permanent shedrows, no tents, and just two stalls back to back for the stretch of the barn, so no busy or crowded aisle either. Footing in the arenas is pretty nice and well maintained, and does seem to drain well after rain. The only downside I can think of is their website... hard to navigate, and the entry form on their site can be a bit confusing until you figure it out.
http://www.silverwoodfarm.net/

mzm farm
Feb. 23, 2011, 02:29 PM
I second Silverwood.
I find it a very friendly facility to show at. It is not too big, not too small, plenty of room to warm up. Good footing. Pretty laid back atmosphere.

ArenaBallerina
Feb. 23, 2011, 07:32 PM
I absolutely love Lamplight! We travel from Nebraska to show there.
http://lamplightequestriancenter.com/

mishmash
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:35 PM
Also like Silverwood.
Harmony In The Park at Hoosier Horse Park is also a nice show (in May). New footing installed in the arenas. Show grounds can be a little busy as other shows often going on at same time,

dressagemom
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:41 PM
Thanks for sharing the information on Silverwood. I know several barns from this area attend those shows and seem quite pleased. Will take a look at the Harmony in the Park show. Appreciate your thoughts. Keep them coming.

tempichange
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:50 AM
if you could make it down to Kentucky (which can be a stretch), there are two or three shows in the fall that are completely young horse friendly. One being at the KHP (November) one being at a facility called Meadow Lake (August and October).