PDA

View Full Version : Curved bit vs. Straight?

PassionforPonies
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
Just saw horse froogle was having a bit sale which coincides perfectly with my bit hunt. I am looking for a 5" thin eggbutt single jointed snaffle with the smallest bit rings I can find. My pony has been going in a loose ring fine but lately he has been super sensitive if I touch his cheeks, so he is getting his teeth checked and I figured I should get an eggbutt in case his current bit is pinching.
I have narrowed it down to two bits:
http://www.horsefroogle.com/German-Silver-Eggbutt-Bradoon-Bit-p/20132.htm?1=1&CartID=2

and

http://www.horsefroogle.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1015&CartID=1

The second has a curved design. What are the benefits of that? My first guess is to avoid the nutcracker action like a french link. Also the first is 'German silver' and the second is stainless steel. I have heard that copper makes horses salivate more, so I was just wondering if there is something special about either material?

Hampton Bay
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:19 PM
My horses have alwys apprecited the curved design more thn the specific metl.

Fillabeana
Feb. 22, 2011, 08:41 PM
Mine do, too.
One also loves the copper-inlayed sweet-iron mouthpiece so much that he grabs it with his teeth when I take it off. He LIKES it, and doesn't want to stop tasting it.

But regardless, I'd go curved.

CHT
Feb. 22, 2011, 09:23 PM
A curved bit has a few advantages for the horse; it makes the nutcracker effect more mild, and the curve also results in more pressure on the corners rather than the bars, which is a milder, and usually more welcome form of communication for the horse.

naturalequus
Feb. 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Second what CHT said. A curved mouthpiece doesn't avoid the nutcracker action though OP, just causes it to be milder, as CHT pointed out.

PassionforPonies
Feb. 23, 2011, 02:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll be going with the curved(even though its a whopping $3.40 more expensive than the other. yes, I admit, I channel my inner Scrooge every time I go shopping online).
CHT and naturalequus I had always heard french links reduce the nutcracker action but after hearing it so many times that french links are milder I think I started to think that they totally got rid of the nutcracker action. /facepalm. Thanks for pointing that out