PDA

View Full Version : Dressage Shows-Best Footing Region 1?

Shenandoah
Feb. 21, 2011, 07:54 AM
I'm looking to attend some Dressage Shows in Region 1 this year. I only want to attend those that have really good footing in both the warm up and competition arenas. Any other footing police out there who can give me suggestions on some shows to look at for 2011 with great footing? Thanks!

Foxhound
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
I can only speak to the facilities in the southern end of Region 1.
The VA Horse Center in Lexington. There are lots of rings, so plenty of warm up, and lots of places to lunge, should you need to.
The footing holds up exceptionally well in really wet weather. I have a horse who is very sensitive to deep, shifty footing. The footing at the VHC keeps its secure base, even if it has puddles on top, and we have had some of our best tests in those rings, even when the rain has made the footing ankle-deep. It never gets slick or trappy.
Morven Park is also good. The largest outdoor arena, where most shows put 3 rings next to each other, also holds up very well in the wet, but is soft enough that it doesn't get hard in the summer. It doesn't get packed, but it also doesn't lose its ability to give my horse traction.
I'm not sure how many dressage shows will be held at Culpeper this year, but I've found their footing holds up well in wet weather as well. It can be a little hard (by dressage standards), but I think that's because the facility mostly hosts H/J shows, and maybe they prefer a firmer surface for jumping.

KatherineC
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:52 AM
The footing at the 2010 Region 1 finals in Williamston was very good.

NCSue
Feb. 21, 2011, 09:56 AM
Williamston has phenomenal footing all the time.

ridealot
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:18 PM
Morven Park had good footing and so does the Lexington Horse Center

Melyni
Feb. 21, 2011, 02:48 PM
Morven Park had good footing and so does the Lexington Horse Center

The VHC has good footing (mostly) but Morven does not! Esp if it rains.
VHC is good if they drag the rings, but can get hard if it's an outside ring that has been forgotten.

Cuipeper has good footing in all weathers and the VADA-CH are holding their show there on April 30/May 1st.

Williamston has good footing in any weather.

Raleigh has good footing in good weather, mixed in poor weather.

Southern Pines has sand, so it's good most of the time, can be dusty though.

Doswell (new show grounds near Richmond) has good footing if they drag it. The show there is May 14/15th.

Hope that helps
MW

Schiffon
Feb. 22, 2011, 11:49 PM
I think the clay/dirt all purpose footing in the main covered warm-up at both Williamston and Lexington gets very compacted within a an hour or two of it being dragged. Not horrible, but if it was my everyday footing I would not be happy. The other warm-ups and show rings tend to stay good since there is less traffic. These facilities have many other redeeming factors, but that is MHO about the footing.

The surface at The Meadow in Doswell is not very compactable, it is more likely to be light and fluffy (and dusty). A bit of trivia is that this is THE same footing that was on the training track there, so Riva Ridge and Secretariat were on it briefly. Water is what it needs and our GMO has asked me to work with them on it this year since I live only 2 miles away. Regardless, I'd rather warm up on that than hard.