PDA

View Full Version : WWYD?

dudleyc
Feb. 20, 2011, 07:42 PM
I won my USDF all-breed division. In early November, I notfied my breed organization with my new address. They sent out the prizes mid December. When I didn't receive my award, I notified them and they sent it to the old address. They admit that they received my change of address early in November.

I'm sad as I love my horse and this is the first time I have won this USDF award.

hoopoe
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:05 PM
so are they saying " sent it to the wrong address too bad for you?"

or did they say they sent it to the wrong address and they will make a new award and send is as soon as they can?

sounds like you just need to contact them again and get clear what is going on.

thatsnotme
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:09 PM
Is USDF unwilling to issue a new one? That seems odd. Is there a way to check with the new resident at your previous address? Maybe it was held for you or maybe it was returned to sender and USDF has it back in house and doesn't even realize it.

dudleyc
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:27 PM
Hoopoe: Exactly, they are saying we sent it to the wrong address (admitting that they RECEIVED my address change in early November and mailed the awards in mid December) too bad for you. I have been in contact. now that they have realised their error, they have not returned my emails.

thatsnotme - the USDF sent me my medal. its my breed's society that is unwilling to help. They sent saddle pads with the breed's logo to all the division winners and I was really looking forward to having it to use in an upcoming clinic

dwblover
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:36 PM
That is just not fair. You worked hard for that award and I would not give up that easily. Keep calling and emailing them and let them know you are not going to let up until someone does something. It was there mistake and they admitted it, so just keep after them. Be polite and professional and I bet you will finally find an empathizing ear over there.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
I would recontact them via registered or certified snail mail. Hopefully, they will make good on the lost award.

If they do not, I'd out the breed society on this board and elsewhere. They will not appreciate the bad press and should think twice about stiffing a member. What kind of penny-ante outfit is it, anyway?

Sorry, I'm cranky tonight!

ddashaq
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
That is really crappy. I would definitely out them!

dudleyc
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks-guys!!! I agree that its not fair and its seems down right [crappy] to have to fight to receive my saddle pad when I have been paying yearly dues, that far exceed the price of any saddle pad, JUST to be able to be considered for the all-breed awards. I am sending my 2 contacts links to this thread.....

ToN Farm
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:59 PM
Doesn't mail get forwarded to the new address for one year or at least 6 months?

DoubleTwistedWire
Feb. 20, 2011, 11:01 PM
Doesn't mail get forwarded to the new address for one year or at least 6 months?

Mail's only forwarded if you set up forwarding for it. And it only applies to things sent via the USPS, so if this was a package sent via UPS or FedEx, forwarding wouldn't help you.

atlatl
Feb. 20, 2011, 11:46 PM
Since you have the old address, why not write the occupants of that address, explain the situation and see if they even accepted the package. If they aren't riders, what are they going to do with the award/saddle pad?

dudleyc
Feb. 21, 2011, 07:45 AM
I did complete a change of address form and my mail has been - and still is being forwarded to me.

suzy
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:08 AM
dudleyc, I think your next step is to find out exactly how they shipped the award--USPS, UPS, Fed Ex, or whatever. It was evidently a package which means there should be a tracking number which means it should be traceable.

Several years ago, I sent a Christmas gift to my stepdaughter at her old address. I didn't realize my mistake until 4 months later, and we were actually able to retrieve the package even after all that time. I hope you will be as fortunate.

bizbachfan
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:25 AM
If it was sent FedEx I can tell you it was most likely returned to shipper if undeliverable. (or UPS) However if it was released at a residential location then the person who lives at your old address may have decided to just "keep it." Can you get in touch with the person who resides at your former address? Regardless seems pretty unreasonable for the breed assoc. not to make this right since they admit they sent the award to the wrong address.

dudleyc
Feb. 21, 2011, 09:08 AM
It was apparently sent postal. Which would mean that the postal service would have forwarded it and they did not.

My old address is an expensive rental house. So lets assue that for some reason it was not forwarded. The new tenants should have just marked wrong address and left it at the mailbox. Even if they opened it, thinking it was something cool, they could have taped it shut and put it back. It is extremely unlikely that they are horse people as this is an urban community. If the new tenants could not be bothered in December, I don't have any faith in contacting them 2 months after delivery.

AnotherRound
Feb. 21, 2011, 09:32 AM
But contact them anyway. They can at least tell you what they did with it. I would knock on their door, in the evning and talk to them face to face so you can see, pleasantly, how they respond.

I would track the letter.

I would, if the people at the hourse say they returned it, call the post office and ask them what happens to such mail.

It is entirely possible that the post office did not deliver it. The mailman may have realized you didn't live there, and not delivered it. They can usually tell you what they did with it. If you can find the post man who makes deliveries to that house, ask him. They will certainly talk about their deliveries and what happens to unforwarded mail.

Get someone at the association to absolutely check on just how it was mailed. I can't imagine a package which cannot be tracked. But maybe I am wrong.

Ask someone at the association what they do with returned mail and packages. find someone there who is willing to walk around the offices and look.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:17 AM
I would also consider changing declared registries (if possible), such a sad sign of poor customer service... As you said, you pay annual dues (which many registries require just to be part of All Breeds), and you finally win, and they blow you off this way? Wow...

dudleyc
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:25 AM
I have no interest in trying to pursue contact with the new tenants. IF they received the package, then they did not return it. Trying to follow up 2+ months after the fact doesn't seem worthwhile. And I no longer live anywhere nearby.

I really don't see the big deal with the registry sending another darn saddle pad. Its not a high ticket item after all.

Changing breed societies is a possibility as there are 2 societies within my breed. The one I am in is considered the more prestiges of the 2.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 21, 2011, 11:17 AM
Their "prestige" is only as good as their service! Their error -- it's theirs to correct.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 21, 2011, 11:26 AM
Changing breed societies is a possibility as there are 2 societies within my breed. The one I am in is considered the more prestiges of the 2.

And in the long run, this would be a silly loss to the registry! As you point out, your annual dues are more then the cost of a saddle pad! PLUS - they lose a nice horse - if you won All Breeds, your horse is an ambassador to the breed:yes: So, this is the power we (owners) have. And there is almost always an option to change - if nothing else, there is PHR, AWS, and various other "multiple breeds accepted" registries...

bizbachfan
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
You are probably right about trying to track down the pad at this point. I can't imagine getting it replaced would be a big deal. Guess best you can do is let them know you are no longer going to pay dues and be sure to be vocal about their poor service. Sorry for you, congrats on your win, no one can take that away!

Camstock
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:54 PM
Huh, this is an interesting thread! I would have done what the OP did (contacted the registry) and then when the breed registry went stupid, I would have given myself free rein to buy myself a new saddle pad (from my favorite manufacturer and in my colors/shape/piping/whatever yet!) and have it embroidered in a similar way as the prize, and let it go. It wouldn't matter to me who bought it, only that I earned it. For me, it doesn't sit easily to rub the registry's nose in what appears to be an unintentional mistake (we all make them). I wouldn't dream of quitting the registry or slamming them publicly due to an oversight of one person. For me there is a time for serious reaction (stealing, lying, abuse etc), and this mistake, an addressing mistake by an officeworker, doesn't qualify for me.

If you ever find the other one, bonus, meanwhile, I'd suggest getting what you have earned even if you have to buy it, and enjoy it!

Bogey2
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
Just name the registry and maybe someone will read it and step in to make this right for you.

Janet
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:26 PM
It was apparently sent postal. Which would mean that the postal service would have forwarded it and they did not.
According to the USPS site:

A permanent Change of Address (COA) order... generally does not provide the forwarding of Standard MailĀ® or Package Services Mail.

If you paid for Premium Forwarding Service (once a week, but EVERYTHING), then packages would be forwarded to you (possibly postage due).

Check with the post office at your old address to see if it is in their dead letters pile.

Janet
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:30 PM
First class mail - 1 year
Periodicals - 60 days
Packages - NOT

bizbachfan
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:43 PM
Huh, this is an interesting thread! I would have done what the OP did (contacted the registry) and then when the breed registry went stupid, I would have given myself free rein to buy myself a new saddle pad (from my favorite manufacturer and in my colors/shape/piping/whatever yet!) and have it embroidered in a similar way as the prize, and let it go. It wouldn't matter to me who bought it, only that I earned it. For me, it doesn't sit easily to rub the registry's nose in what appears to be an unintentional mistake (we all make them). I wouldn't dream of quitting the registry or slamming them publicly due to an oversight of one person. For me there is a time for serious reaction (stealing, lying, abuse etc), and this mistake, an addressing mistake by an officeworker, doesn't qualify for me.

If you ever find the other one, bonus, meanwhile, I'd suggest getting what you have earned even if you have to buy it, and enjoy it!

I can understand what you are saying. Minor mistake, no big deal. But on the other hand very easily remedied, just get a replacement one made for her and send out, no big deal. I agree to me the best thing is to focus on the positive and enjoy your success, but at the same time I have worked in customer service for a good part of my life and OP has good reason to pursue this issue and complain and vent.

Somehow having to order your own "award" after paying dues etc. just doesn't sit well with me. Also if all members are so passive if just affirms their policy of not going above and beyond for their members.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't dream of quitting the registry or slamming them publicly due to an oversight of one person.

Camstock, if it was just the mistake made, I'd agree with you - but did you read this part of the OP's post? That is what would worry me enough to consider changing my registry declaration (which doesn't mean your horse is no longer REGISTERED with them, it just means you declare and are active with another registry - many horses are recorded in more then one registry).

they are saying we sent it to the wrong address (admitting that they RECEIVED my address change in early November and mailed the awards in mid December) too bad for you. I have been in contact. now that they have realised their error, they have not returned my emails

ToN Farm
Feb. 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
Did you email the Director, or just the Awards person? Did you try calling on the phone?

dudleyc
Feb. 21, 2011, 06:40 PM
I've emailed both the director and the awards person. It is primarily the director who had been responding

I first emailed on 1/30 and heard back from both the director and the awards person that day (and responded to them on that day)

I then received an email from the director on 2/3. I responded to her email and heard back from her on 2/3. I responded again to the director on 2/3 and heard back from the director on 2/4.

These emails established: that I had indeed won the award, sent in the change of address on Nov 3rd, that all awards had been mailed in mid decmeber before christmas, that mine had been sent to the old address, that it was sent postal and had not been returned to the sender.

Since the response on 2/4, I have not heard back from either the director or the awards person.

I contacted them both again on 2/11 and got no response.

I contacted them on 2/20 and didn't hear back, that is when I started this thread.

I sent a link to this thread to both the director and the awards person today.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 21, 2011, 06:50 PM
Can you offer to pay for the shipping? I agree that you shouldn't have to, but it seems that at least that way you could get the stuff that you and your horse have earned! (Congrats, btw!)

Fillabeana
Feb. 21, 2011, 07:35 PM
I agree with Camstock.

I once won $100 and a cool custom silver belt buckle with my border collie, in the 'Ranch Dog' division of a herding/cattle dog trials.
They announced the winner, as another fellow. I was chatting later with the two judges, each wanted to know from the other why other fellow, and not I, was their pick. Both said, but we picked you! So, mistake, award (both $$ and buckle) was gone with other fellow.
If I didn't already have a really cool silver buckle that I earned elsewhere, I would have had a 'prize' buckle made for myself. I knew the judges well enough, that had I made an issue of it, they would have made me another belt buckle. I also could, at that time, much better afford to have a $100 prize walk away than the other fellow- it probably helped pay his rent.

I knew we won. The dog didn't care, she was just happy to go chase the heifers into the corral and through the proper gates.

I would just go embroider myself a new saddle pad, get the receipt, and the next time I sent 'dues' I would subtract the cost of pad and embroidery, along with a receipt for pad/embroidery and a copy of their emails saying, "Yes, we got your change of address, Yes, we mailed it to the old address anyway, No, we don't have a replacement for you".

Have fun at the clinic!

dudleyc
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:27 PM
Making my own award just isn't MY style.

Honestly what is making me really pissed is the way the breed society left it. After establishing all the facts (see my last post) the final word from them was this (a direct copy from my last email):

"This pad should have been forwarded to you if you left a forwarding address, and it has not been returned to us which also should have occurred if you had notified the post office that you would not be at the previous address..

Please keep us updated."

mg
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:42 PM
I would send them the USPS's policy about forwarding packages that Janet posted. It sounds to me like they expect it will be forwarded to you or returned to them, so they don't want to bother sending a new one until one of those two results occurs.

Heck, I was bummed when my state's combined training association sent my omnibus and association sticker to my old address (which never got forwarded for some strange reason, despite not being a package), so I can only imagine how upset I'd be over your situation.

mjhco
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:52 PM
The breed organizations need to be more sensitive to such situations.

To those of us getting these awards this might be a once in a life time deal.

To the breed organization it tends to be just one of those things they have to deal with.

I am anticipating the receipt of a big award. It is to be a cooler. I am guessing I will be able to use it as a quarter sheet. Important to me. Not important to the organization.

We need to remember some organizations do care about what the winners receive. A friend of mine has received some of the nicest awards. And her breed organization makes sure the sizes are correct before issuing them. Kudos to the Danish Warmblood organization. Well DONE!

ThreeFigs
Feb. 22, 2011, 12:52 AM
What mg said about forwarding the USPS return/forwarding policies.

Dittos to mjhco, too. Really, this registry needs to man up and make good on the award. They'd do themselves a favor in terms of PR.

Whoever they are, based on this story, I'd avoid them. Can't wait to find out.

Liberty
Feb. 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
The breed registry messed up; they should make good on their mistake to the OP by sending another saddle pad.

OP, have you contacted your former post office to inquire if there's a package to you sitting there? If the new tenants "returned to sender", your former PO might have set it aside and forgotten about it.

dudleyc
Feb. 22, 2011, 03:24 AM
Post office does not hold packages like that, they would return any undeliverable mail to the sender.

meupatdoes
Feb. 22, 2011, 06:46 AM
I really do not think it is unsportsmanlike or petty to expect some small amount of competence from the rest of the world. I know, I know, if stupidity would hurt most of the population would be screaming, but COME ON.

Perhaps I am completely delusional, but when somebody admits to an error, I like to see them DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. I don't like them to tell me all the things I "can" do (OP "can" call the post office, OP "can" track down the new tenants, OP "can" order herself a new pad, etc.) It's great that the OP "can" do all these things, but OP is not the one who messed up. OP "can" do a lot of things, but what are the people who actually messed up going to do (other than making big eyes and expecting other people to accept/clean up their mistake)?

OP, if I were you I would get on the phone with them and be politely tenacious. Ask them to explain to you point blank WHAT they are going to do, and if they seem to think "Aw shucks" is the answer to that question, ask them point blank to explain to you WHY they think that is acceptable.

This is a question of BASIC competence and attention to detail. It is unsportsmanly of THEM to expect people to just be like, "Oh, ok. My loss I guess. But thanks for trying anyway, even though you made no effort whatsoever." I really do not think it is too much to ask to expect people to rub one and a half brain cells together and get a simple thing right for once.

gettingbettereveryday
Feb. 22, 2011, 08:07 AM
I have no interest in trying to pursue contact with the new tenants. IF they received the package, then they did not return it. Trying to follow up 2+ months after the fact doesn't seem worthwhile. And I no longer live anywhere nearby.

OK, I'm all for excellent customer service and fairness, but this is unreasonable, IMHO. Why wouldn't you contact the former tenants? A quick note sent via email or a phone call to the rental agency to get a message to the new tenants is not a huge deal. Maybe they have it and keep thinking "we've got to return this." It happens. People, even those folks with the best of intentions, get busy, especially around the holidays.

Until you exhaust all possible avenues through former tenants and USPS, the breed organization really has no obligation to replace the item. If they say it was sent and not returned, the onus is on you to check into where it might have ended up. They performed due diligence in regards to sending the item, but you didn't give them the correct address.

Do your part, and then if they don't step up and replace the item, you'll have good reason to throw a huge fit.

yaya
Feb. 22, 2011, 08:19 AM
They performed due diligence in regards to sending the item, but you didn't give them the correct address.

Do your part, and then if they don't step up and replace the item, you'll have good reason to throw a huge fit.

Um, did you even READ the OP? She DID send them her new address, and they RECEIVED it, WEEKS before mailing out the award.

This is on the association, NOT the award recipient.

dudleyc
Feb. 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
IMO, MY PART is to pay my dues, have the proper USDF and USEF memberships, ride the horse, pay all the show expenses, ...... and make sure that the breed association has the proper contact information.

The breed association had the correct address at least 5 weeks before the awards were mailed

Camstock
Feb. 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
Somehow having to order your own "award" after paying dues etc. just doesn't sit well with me. Also if all members are so passive if just affirms their policy of not going above and beyond for their members.

I hear you. It isn't ideal to have to order your own, of course.

One person's passivity is another's equanimity.

Camstock
Feb. 22, 2011, 12:07 PM
Camstock, if it was just the mistake made, I'd agree with you - but did you read this part of the OP's post? That is what would worry me enough to consider changing my registry declaration (which doesn't mean your horse is no longer REGISTERED with them, it just means you declare and are active with another registry - many horses are recorded in more then one registry).

they are saying we sent it to the wrong address (admitting that they RECEIVED my address change in early November and mailed the awards in mid December) too bad for you. I have been in contact. now that they have realised their error, they have not returned my emails

Yes, I read for comprehension, but I see where you might have thought I overlooked that. The incorrect address still fits my definition of mistake, because, yes it was an error, but it wasn't based on malice. That they didn't do a good job handling the response to the mistake, well, sucks. And not communicating sucks. I still wouldn't have a big kiniption about it. Ultimately they have to live with their stupid selves (a person who runs from a mistake with a "too bad for you" or not responding to emails has all sorts of problems, much larger than their job at a breed organization) and I would be riding my horse with my new saddle pad. Ok, I'll say it. I trust karma to do its job.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 22, 2011, 12:11 PM
Seriously, the fault lies with this registry. They failed to send the award to the right address. The item has gone missing. Someone at the registry office needs to step up, order a new saddle pad and take care of the problem. It's not that hard.

They owe that to their membership and OP's horse is obviously a good advertisement for the breed. The saddlepad is the registry's "billboard". It's good PR, dammit!

gettingbettereveryday
Feb. 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
Um, did you even READ the OP? She DID send them her new address, and they RECEIVED it, WEEKS before mailing out the award.

This is on the association, NOT the award recipient.

OK, I must have missed that, but even if her address change was sent in weeks before, it may not have been integrated into the system in time to match up with the award ceremony. I've had that happen before, especially when dealing with small offices. Bad association management, I agree, but that's sometimes how it goes.

My point was and still is, why not contact the new tenants? What harm would it do? It takes a few minutes of time, and it could result in a quick resolution to the problem. It would give the OP plenty of ammo, too, if she went to the association and said, "Hey, I called the new tenants, the USPS, etc., and none of them have the package. Now you owe me." Then there's absolutely no way for the association to weasel out of sending a new package.

caddym
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:03 PM
lol - do you know the new tenants name and phone number? I don't. According to the landlord, they say they have not received anypackages for me.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'd say that covers any "responsibility" on your part to contact the neew tenants.

USPS conduct regarding undelivered/misaddressed packages has been discussed.

I think you have all the ammo you need.

dudleyc
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:49 PM
Well I have no idea who is living in the house now.

I did email the landlord and he contacted the new tenants and they told the landlord that they have not received any packages addressed to me.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 22, 2011, 04:34 PM
You've done all you reasonably can. If the tenants tell the landlord they haven't received your package, why would they tell you anything different?

Why would they keep a saddlepad, unless to use it as a doggie bed? Registry owes you a saddlepad. They misaddressed it -- and it's not your fault. Slow to put your new address into the system? Not your problem. You paid your dues, kept up your end of the bargain. It's their mistake and theirs to correct.

dudleyc
Feb. 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
I think I'm probably a realist when I think that the tenants found it - opened thinking it was something cool and then probably were to embarrassed to tape it up and put it back in the mail box. So they probably chucked it.

Fillabeana
Feb. 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
Still inclined to the practical here...
You won it...you want it, especially since there is a big clinic coming up...the association isn't likely to get you a new one mailed...
So have one made, use it, and take it out of next year's dues.

Whether or not YOU had the replacement made (versus the association mailing you a replacement) doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you actually WON it.

The association seems completely disinclined to mail you a replacement. Yes, that SUCKS. Yes, they should absolutely get you a replacement. But it seems at this point they're not going to do it. Your righteous squawking has not yielded any results. Nor has due diligence in tracing the package.

So if you want the pad you won, you'll have to arrange to have it made. The association can pay for it if you subtract the new pad from next year's dues.

Otherwise, you're left with only the ability to squawk, righteously and trophy-pad-lessly.

mjhco
Feb. 22, 2011, 09:09 PM
How about outing the breed organization that has such a concern for its members?

Cielo Azure
Feb. 23, 2011, 10:10 AM
IMO, MY PART is to pay my dues, have the proper USDF and USEF memberships, ride the horse, pay all the show expenses, ...... and make sure that the breed association has the proper contact information.

The breed association had the correct address at least 5 weeks before the awards were mailed

Dudleyc

Have you gone up the "food chain." The office people clearly aren't into working that hard.

I would write a letter to the president and cc all board members about this. I would send it postal.

You might consider writing that if they won't make this error right, that you or your representative would like to speak to the board at their next meeting -to clarify the situation and to make sure that whatever their decision is, that it is documented in the minutes.

Jill

katarine
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
Still inclined to the practical here...
You won it...you want it, especially since there is a big clinic coming up...the association isn't likely to get you a new one mailed...
So have one made, use it, and take it out of next year's dues.

Whether or not YOU had the replacement made (versus the association mailing you a replacement) doesn't have any bearing on whether or not you actually WON it.

The association seems completely disinclined to mail you a replacement. Yes, that SUCKS. Yes, they should absolutely get you a replacement. But it seems at this point they're not going to do it. Your righteous squawking has not yielded any results. Nor has due diligence in tracing the package.

So if you want the pad you won, you'll have to arrange to have it made. The association can pay for it if you subtract the new pad from next year's dues.

Otherwise, you're left with only the ability to squawk, righteously and trophy-pad-lessly.

ROFLMTPLAO

(that's Trophy Padless A$$)

ThreeFigs
Feb. 23, 2011, 01:45 PM
Good one, Cielo Azure!

dudleyc
Feb. 23, 2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for all the support, I still have not heard from anyone.

Cielo thats a great idea, but the director is a very high up person both in the USA and Germany.

I am tempted to bring this to their facebook page. Do something like write "I still have not received my award and why are you not returning my calls" on their wall

Or I may just let the whole thing go.

But when I found out I won, I was thinking how cool it would be to have the special pad for clinics and shows

mjhco
Feb. 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
I encourage you to get them to deal with this rather than letting it 'go'. It may save someone else a great deal of grief in the future.

SFrost
Feb. 23, 2011, 06:43 PM
I think you should go as high up the chain as you need to in order to get your saddle pad. If they want to be jerks about it I would out them. The certainly don't seem to care about their mistake in the situation so, if they don't care then they won't mind if everyone else knows about it too.

I have to agree about not wanting to buy yourself a saddle pad. If it were me, I would want that specific pad because of the sentimental value. I just don't think one I purchased would hold the same value. But, that is just me.

I hope it all works out for you!

ThreeFigs
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
"But the director is a very high up person" nothin'! Write a letter straight to the top! Don't wimp out, dudleyc!

I'll bet the top dog will kick some butts for you and get your pad to you ASAP. This is lousy PR and Top Dog will probably be disappointed & angry to hear of the (non) response you've gotten so far. If that doesn't get you satisfaction, quit the registry and out them.

Quit playing around with internet communications and WRITE A LETTER on PAPER and send it to the registry as certified, return receipt requested, or whatever you have to do to guarantee that the adressee GETS the letter.

Internet stuff is too easy to ignore. Best yet, send the letter via FedEx, UPS or Priority Mail. Those kinds of packages get attention!

bizbachfan
Feb. 24, 2011, 10:15 AM
I agree send a letter to the President of Association. Clearly state everything that happened and make sure to make it very clear that there is ZERO fault on your side. (as the director implied by saying USPS should have forwarded if you had "done the right thing." ) I would also follow up with a phone call and every time you get shot down ask for the next person up.

Yes the other option is to just let it go and be happy with your accomplishment, but I do think it sounds like it will be hard for you to just "let it go."

Reynard Ridge
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:04 AM
I am tempted to bring this to their facebook page. Do something like write "I still have not received my award and why are you not returning my calls" on their wall

I'm all about giving people benefit of the doubt. Why don't you email them saying, "Hey, been emailing, no response, I'm giving this one last try, then I'll go post on Facebook. I don't want to discuss this in public, but it seems like maybe your email is not working?"

Or I may just let the whole thing go.

Don't give it up; patience, persistence and good manners win out in the end. Hang on, be polite and persistent, and you'll get your saddle pad. I think you deserve it.

not again
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
FWIW I don't think the OP can switch associations for All Breeds Awards. Once you declare a horse for a certain registry/association, it is recorded for life. At least that happened to us.

cyndi
Feb. 24, 2011, 11:17 AM
FWIW I don't think the OP can switch associations for All Breeds Awards. Once you declare a horse for a certain registry/association, it is recorded for life. At least that happened to us.

Not anymore. Now you can pay to switch registries. I think it's $50.

dudleyc
Feb. 24, 2011, 02:38 PM
Alright, So the breed society is Oldenburg Horse Breeder's Society and the director is Holly Simenson. Anyone familiar with this society will know that Holly anyone above Holly is in Germany.

I'm going to send certified letters to both Holly and the awards coordinator and see what happens.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
Good for you. Keep us posted!

I've heard nothing but good things about Holly. I think she'll git 'er done for you.

dudleyc
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
Good for you. Keep us posted!

I've heard nothing but good things about Holly. I think she'll git 'er done for you.

Me to! That's what annoys me the most - when she stopped returning my emails. I keep thinking well maybe she's ill....

rugbygirl
Feb. 24, 2011, 06:24 PM
Some of the posts in this thread...only in the horse world, seriously.

You'd MAKE YOUR OWN SADDLE PAD? Really? When the other party made a perfectly reasonable (easily correctable) mistake? I know when I am promised something, if I don't get it or they send me something other than advertised, I assume all responsibility and just whip out my sewing machine/credit card to MAKE the item myself. Wouldn't want to impose on someone to fulfill a commitment they made, after all. I CAN sew, so why SHOULDN'T I rectify this issue?

Saving the fees for new saddle pad and sending a receipt with your next year's membership application just guarantees that your application won't be completed AND it makes you a complete butthead. Next year's application has nothing to do with the misdelivered award.

Why would you even attempt to make the customer in this case feel ANY responsibility? The service provider offered an award, made an effort to send it out and some mistake on their end resulted in it not being received. They IDENTIFIED the error (confirming it was on their end, they had received the change of address in time) and have left their club member with the impression that they will not act to get her the award.

The member/client does have some responsibilities, the aforementioned fees (paid), enrollment in the program (completed), sending in of scores/results (done), alerting administration to changes in address/name/competition/ownership status (completed and acknowledged) and a certain degree of respectful behaviour (seems like all has been fairly respectful.)

If you are involved in any position (volunteer or paid) where people pay money for SERVICES...god. I'm not even old, but when I was a receptionist it didn't matter how idiotic/wrong/stupid the client was NOR how busy/angry/irritable/right I was...service under the terms of the agreement was delivered in a civil manner AT ALL TIMES or there were consequences from the supervisor. If a client was completely out of line and abusive, the alarm button was calmly applied and the Police addressed the issue. At no time is it acceptable to even imply that dissatisfaction is the responsibility of the customer (even if it is) or dismiss their concern. There are acceptable ways to deal with concerns.

--> To the OP, I definitely agree that phoning or regular mail is your best option. Email is not reliable. Benefit of the doubt to this Holly person too, if she is the head honcho at a registry, this must be getting right into "high season" for breed reports and questions, and emails have a way of drifting down off the screen if the inbox gets filled with time-sensitive requests.

mmt
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:06 AM
Dear Ms. Call,

I am the person in charge of the Awards for OHBS and you have NEVER contacted me about this problem. Your post is not correct in this. You have contacted Holly Simensen in January, who while the Breed Director, does not handle the awards program, and when you contacted her you did not even include your name, horse details, or award area.

Holly, however, forwarded your e-mail to me and I had to do sleuthing with Holly to figure out who you were and what your problems were as your e-mails were I would say pithy and insufficient in detail or information. Nonetheless, we have made efforts to get to the bottom of it, which would have been easier if you actually had contacted me.

My contact e-mail and telephone number is on the website and available through USDF, and I re-iterate, you have never contacted me to get to the root of the problem.

The awards close as of 30 September. That is when the addresses are finalised. Your address of record as of 30 September. The additional awards -- this year Back on Track white show pads, in prior years coolers, halters, etc. -- (which we purchase IN ADDITION to the awards we pay for USDF to deliver to the winners) were shipped around the time of the USDF convention as we wait to see who attends the awards in case they want their award in person.

You sent in your address change after the awards year had closed related to the 2011 membership year. The award you earned was related to the 2010. When you were advised that we had not had the pad returned to us and suggested that you contact the new owners of the house, you said that you had NOT set up a forwarding address and perhaps for other reasons were not able to contact the new owners.

You then sent a threatening e-mail to Holly Simensen saying you were going to slander the Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society in comparison with some awards your friend had received in another registry, which you have apperently proceeded to do based on this COTH thread. You referred to jackets (which we have done in the past and everyone complained then it was not in their size), coolers (which we have done 2 of the last three years), and halters (which we have also done.)

Your personal housing situation is NOT our responsibility and you have mis-construed the facts to your side in this post and have sought to slander the organization. That is not right and I may request this post be removed.

In good faith I believe we advised you that we did not order extra pads but would try to work something out.

The latest from our side is that we are going to see to get you a pad. It may be a pad we get from Germany, it may be an all purpose pad that was left over from the USEF awards. However, the slander and the mud-slinging needs to stop.

I just returned from Europe to the US and will seek to get a solution mailed to you before I leave to go back. However, if you had contacted me as you had said you had, and sent the address change to me, this would not have happened.

Nonetheless, we are doing what we can to address the situation even though you do not seem grateful for our efforts or the many thousands of dollars that the organization spends on the awards program.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

bizbachfan
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:48 AM
Dear Ms. Call,

The awards close as of 30 September. That is when the addresses are finalised. Your address of record as of 30 September. The additional awards -- this year Back on Track white show pads, in prior years coolers, halters, etc. -- (which we purchase IN ADDITION to the awards we pay for USDF to deliver to the winners) were shipped around the time of the USDF convention as we wait to see who attends the awards in case they want their award in person.

You sent in your address change after the awards year had closed related to the 2011 membership year. The award you earned was related to the 2010. When you were advised that we had not had the pad returned to us and suggested that you contact the new owners of the house, you said that you had NOT set up a forwarding address and perhaps for other reasons were not able to contact the new owners.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

Two sides to every story:)

However seems that you are saying that even though you did get her address change prior to the awards being sent out you sent it to her old address because you had finalized the addresses for the awards well prior to them being sent out and you were going to use whatever address you had on record as of September even if they were mailed in November ( honestly I have no idea when they were mailed but just going by info given)

To me that is lacking in customer service. I also think the USPS is pretty lacking in customer service if they were forwarding the rest of the OP's mail but not this because it was a parcel.

Perhaps the OP did not do everything the right way according to you but I would have been quite a bit more sympathetic to your side if you had left out the snip.

But I do commend you for trying to resolve this and hope it is a happy ending for all.

dudleyc
Feb. 25, 2011, 08:44 AM
Im the person in charge of the Awards for OHBS and you have NEVER contacted me about this problem. Your post is not correct in this. You have contacted Holly Simensen in January, who while the Breed Director, does not handle the awards program, and when you contacted her you did not even include your name, horse details, or award area.

I sent an email to you on 1/30/11 at 9:08 am. "Did you mail awards?

Holly responded to this email on 1/30/11: "On Sun, Jan 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM, Holly Simensen wrote:

Would you please be kind enough to identify yourself? You did not sign your e-mail and Marne does not recognize your e-mail address.

Best regards

Holly Simensen

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 30, 2011 10:30:10 AM EST
To: "Holly S Email" < holly@oldenburghorse.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: USDF HOY awards
Reply-To: marne.martin@gmail.com

The first place awards were mailed in November/early December.

I don't know who this person is.

I assume USDF mailed the certificates and awards as relevant for their part.

Marne Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

I sent 2nd email directly to you on 2/3/11 From: lizcall@gmavt.net
To: oldenburg@oldenburghorse.com

Did you mail awards?

I'm Liz Call, my horse Gesstenia won the 3rd level AA division

You did not respond to this email

Holly, however, forwarded your e-mail to me and I had to do sleuthing with Holly to figure out who you were and what your problems were as your e-mails were I would say pithy and insufficient in detail or information. Nonetheless, we have made efforts to get to the bottom of it, which would have been easier if you actually had contacted me.

Actually YOU forwarded the email to HOLLY.
On 1/30/11 I sent this email to Holly :" I'm sorry, I'm Liz Call, my horse Gesstenia was 3rd level AA champ."

My contact e-mail and telephone number is on the website and available through USDF, and I re-iterate, you have never contacted me to get to the root of the problem.

Clearly the initial contact I made was indeed to you and you never responded to me

I sent in my address change on November 3rd 4 days late. I apologize if this tardiness is the sole cause for the confusion. I was not aware of the September 30th deadline.

That is absolutely incorrect. I never said that I had NOT set up a forarding address. I did in fact set up a forwarding address. And I did in fact tell Holly by email that this had been done. The forwarding address has nothing to do with the new tenants - it is arranged through the postal service

You then sent a threatening e-mail to Holly Simensen saying you were going to slander the Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society in comparison with some awards your friend had received in another registry, which you have apperently proceeded to do based on this COTH thread. You referred to jackets (which we have done in the past and everyone complained then it was not in their size), coolers (which we have done 2 of the last three years), and halters (which we have also done.)

Well then I sent emails to you on 2/3 and to Holly on 2/3. When I got no response from either of you, on 2/11 I sent this email to Holly :
From my friend XXXX:

"My mare has won an Adequan/USDF All Breeds Championship for all of the national levels from XXXXXXXX has been VERY generous. For training, first and second level, we were given lovely embroidered jackets. For third level, we won a beautiful embroidered day sheet. This year, for fourth level, we were given a black padded leather halter with chrome fittings and an engraved chrome plate on it, as well as european style metal stall plaques. Some organizations do not give anything, so you have to check. XXXX also gives high point awards at some shows, and I have won saddle pads in the past for having the high scoring XXXX horse at a show--they have also given out coolers"

Guess I won't be able to use the oldenburg saddle pad in the Henk van Bergen clinic at the end of February"

That is my email in its entirety - I would not personally call it THREATENING

Your personal housing situation is NOT our responsibility and you have mis-construed the facts to your side in this post and have sought to slander the organization. That is not right and I may request this post be removed.

I don't believe that I have misconstrued the facts

In good faith I believe we advised you that we did not order extra pads but would try to work something out.
You did not

The latest from our side is that we are going to see to get you a pad. It may be a pad we get from Germany, it may be an all purpose pad that was left over from the USEF awards. However, the slander and the mud-slinging needs to stop.

I just returned from Europe to the US and will seek to get a solution mailed to you before I leave to go back. However, if you had contacted me as you had said you had, and sent the address change to me, this would not have happened.

Nonetheless, we are doing what we can to address the situation even though you do not seem grateful for our efforts or the many thousands of dollars that the organization spends on the awards program.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

dudleyc
Feb. 25, 2011, 09:01 AM
Marne,

I would also like to say that on Sunday, I emailed a link to this thread to Holly and on Monday I emailed a link to this thread directly to you.

Liz

ThreeFigs
Feb. 25, 2011, 09:41 AM
Oh, dear.

I'm glad Marne checked in with the registry's side of the story. While I still believe they owe you the saddle pad, it sounds like you omitted some facts and embellished others, dudlyc. The registry folks can't be blamed if you failed to identify yourself in your e-mails. They shouldn't have to play detective.

dudleyc
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:13 AM
Oh, dear.

I'm glad Marne checked in with the registry's side of the story. While I still believe they owe you the saddle pad, it sounds like you omitted some facts and embellished others, dudlyc. The registry folks can't be blamed if you failed to identify yourself in your e-mails. They shouldn't have to play detective.

Specifically which facts did I omit and Specifically which facts did I embellish?

While my very first email was onlly this "Did you mail awards?" as sent to Marne on 1/30

When I received this from Holly on 1/30: "Would you please be kind enough to identify yourself? You did not sign your e-mail and Marne does not recognize your e-mail address.

Best regards

Holly Simensen"

(FYI my emal address is lizcall@gmavt.net)

I sent this on 1/30:" I'm sorry, I'm Liz Call, my horse Gesstenia was 3rd level AA champ."

Beasmom, did you get a chance to read my response to mmt?

ThreeFigs
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
You hit the nail on the head and pointed out your own omissions. Sorry, that's just inconsiderate, like writing a letter with no name at the bottom or an address at the top. Email addresses don't count.

I read the responses and I'm sorry I got all stabby at the registry folks. I wish you well and hope you get your saddle pad and enjoy it for many years to come. If I were you, I'd take steps to mend the fences now with the registry, unless you intend to bail and join another. You've got their backs up now.

rugbygirl
Feb. 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
You sent in your address change after the awards year had closed related to the 2011 membership year. The award you earned was related to the 2010.

This doesn't make sense at all...people move, it happens. If you had a new address before the stuff was mailed out, there's really no excuse to have sent a parcel to an address you knew was incorrect and then expect it to sort itself out.

Even if you were drop-shipping or something, changing the send-out address is a matter of a phone call. It is not reasonable to assume that a deadline for an awards year implies a deadline for mailing address.

This Marne person makes me glad I don't own an Oldenburg and her post here would make me reconsider any involvement with the registry she represents. She used the word "slander" 4 times. Sure, this dudleyc person's emails are pretty curt and I would have included more information, but Holly's S's response was very polite and the required information was politely and speedily provided. The customer service Marne is offering is weak (we sent it somewhere, knowing you had a different address because of administrative deadlines that are irrelevant to actual shipping timelines and then told you to deal with the homeowners at your original house instead of dealing with our error) and her post here is melodramatic and ridiculous. There is no mud-slinging, threats or slander. Dudleyc posted a pretty low-key recount and agreed that the people/registry in question are usually good to deal with. There is a relation of an event and the majority of the posters here suggested that she step up her level of communication and give the registry the benefit of the doubt. Marne also decides that this person should be grateful for all the services and awards the registry provides and quit complaining. Except that the award was provided to the wrong address.

Nope, the only damaged reputation here was caused by the registry rep. Sorry.

MelantheLLC
Feb. 25, 2011, 04:48 PM
Sorry, Marne, it's ridiculous to "finalize" a shipping address 10 weeks before shipping. Big DOH.

Do you expect your members to respect your awards? Your winning horses? Then CHECK THE CURRENT SHIPPING ADDRESS. How many bloody awards do you give out that this is such a big deal. If your society can't handle it, maybe you shouldn't be giving awards in the first place.

And massive rudeness to come here and diss your winning member with a lot of he said/she said.

Just send the effin' award.

Glad I don't have an Oldenburg.

oldenmare
Feb. 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
Concur completely, MelantheLLC.

This is why I'm getting my Oldenburg mare approved for breeding with SWANA - a much friendlier and might I add PROFESSIONAL organization to work with (and I know this after my experiences with the registry mentioned in this thread).

It is one thing for a professional organization to state information in public; it is quite another to do so with such an attitude.

mg
Feb. 25, 2011, 09:53 PM
Well, if I ever get an Oldenburg, I definitely know which organization I will not be affiliating with. What a horrifically unprofessional email. I didn't think poorly of the organization until Marne posted here. If she's proud of what she wrote here and how it represents their org, I'm embarrassed for her.

Ghazzu
Feb. 25, 2011, 09:58 PM
Makes me glad I have Arabs.

ToN Farm
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:04 PM
Well, if I ever get an Oldenburg, I definitely know which organization I will not be affiliating with. What a horrifically unprofessional email. I didn't think poorly of the organization until Marne posted here. If she's proud of what she wrote here and how it represents their org, I'm embarrassed for her. Ditto.

katarine
Feb. 25, 2011, 10:25 PM
triple ditto.

Dudley sent sloppy emails. Tacky, even, with the tacky tack about 'guess I won't be able to ...boo hoo. Seriously. boo damn hoo ..

Marne sent nasty emails. No doubt. Just plain spiteful. As if to say, there will be NO changing domiciles, you Oldenberg owner you, between Oct 1 and Dec 1, as I am the captain of the universe, and you will OBEY or be padless!!! Or some such utterly ridiculous, silly silliness. Laughable.

Moo, Marne cow, MOO.

Guess who's side I'd take? Sure I want Dudley to take a refresher course in writing effective emails, sure do. But Marne? Hopeless.

meupatdoes
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:41 AM
Concur completely, MelantheLLC.

This is why I'm getting my Oldenburg mare approved for breeding with SWANA - a much friendlier and might I add PROFESSIONAL organization to work with (and I know this after my experiences with the registry mentioned in this thread).

It is one thing for a professional organization to state information in public; it is quite another to do so with such an attitude.

I completely agree.

And to state such a lame excuse (Finalizing shipping addresses ten weeks in advance? Really???) with such an aggressive tone just adds to how ridiculous it is.

And hey, guess what Marne?

I DO own an Oldenburg.

Guess I know now where NOT to go...
:lol::lol::lol:

gettingbettereveryday
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:48 AM
Oh come on! You'll never belong to this organization because of one incident that involved someone else and that could be interpreted in many ways? Never, never, never?

I have no relationship whatsoever with the Oldenburg registry (I have a QH and probably always will), so hopefully I won't be discredited as a shill for the association. It just irks me that some people seem to think it's perfectly fine to attack individuals and organizations on the Internet when those individuals or organizations don't do exactly what they want when they want it. Add to that, this thread will live on at COTH because I have no doubt the OP will not ask for it to be deleted because she thinks she is perfectly within her rights.

The email from Ms. Martin-Tucker was not nasty. It's pretty matter-of-fact and rather scolding, but what the heck do you expect? The OP didn't handle her initial inquiry well, and it sounds like she then escalated very quickly to this board all while refusing to do the normal, natural thing: make an inquiry at the post office and check with the previous tenants. In other words, do due diligence (as I suggested before--a thought that earned me lots of sneering nasty responses).

Marne writes "When you were advised that we had not had the pad returned to us and suggested that you contact the new owners of the house, you said that you had NOT set up a forwarding address and perhaps for other reasons were not able to contact the new owners."

Heck, I noticed that the OP had not contacted the post office in her previous town to check on the status of the package, had not paid for package forwarding (which as someone established, you can do, and which is a good idea), and seemed completely unwilling to contact the previous tenants. Nor does it appear that she's submitted a lost mail inquiry, a simple but effective way to establish, once and for all, the status of the package.

It wasn't clear to me, at first, if the OP HAD forwarded her mail, and it was only when she was directly question that she said she had. Given the terseness of her interaction with the registry, I can see how they might have been confused by that.

More importantly, though, the OP seemed dead-set against contacting the previous tenants. She wrote: "If the new tenants could not be bothered in December, I don't have any faith in contacting them 2 months after delivery." What? But you said that it's "unlikely that they are horse people as this is an urban community." Why not contact them or your landlord?

And then: "I have no interest in trying to pursue contact with the new tenants. IF they received the package, then they did not return it. Trying to follow up 2+ months after the fact doesn't seem worthwhile. And I no longer live anywhere nearby." Yeah, but what about the landlord? I always maintain great relationships with my previous landlords, so checking with him or her on misdelivered mail or other issues is a breeze. I guess the OP finally did check with the landlord after several people mentioned it here, but why not do that first, before starting this thread?

I think she didn't do that because there's something NQR about the previous rental situation that the OP doesn't want to discuss publicly and that prevented her from doing due diligence. Yet, she expects the breed registry to hop to it.

"Trying to follow up 2+ months after...doesn't seem worthwhile" she writes. Wait a minute...the OP didn't contact the registry for several months after the awards were sent. Here she says: "I first emailed on 1/30 and heard back from both the director and the awards person that day (and responded to them on that day)." She heard back from them that day? But I thought they were unresponsive?

Then: "I then received an email from the director on 2/3. I responded to her email and heard back from her on 2/3. I responded again to the director on 2/3 and heard back from the director on 2/4. These emails established: that I had indeed won the award, sent in the change of address on Nov 3rd, that all awards had been mailed in mid decmeber before christmas, that mine had been sent to the old address, that it was sent postal and had not been returned to the sender. Since the response on 2/4, I have not heard back from either the director or the awards person."

From the email exchange the OP posted, it sounds like they needed to figure out who she is, they established who she was and said they'd look into it, and then they, presumably, did. Sixteen days pass, and the OP decides to start this thread because she "got no response" to two emails.

I can understand starting a thread after three or four months of back and forth bulls**t. I can understand starting a thread after being told "screw you, lady, we don't owe you nuthin'." But starting a thread after 16 days?

More importantly, Feb. 11 was a Friday. I don't know about any of you, but getting an email on a Friday is tough. Typically I'm finishing up stuff for the weekend, trying to hustle butt and help my colleagues end their week on-time so I can too. Add to that, it sounds like Martin-Tucker was out of the country as she wrote "I just returned from Europe to the US."

The OP posted this thread, though, on Feb. 20 after sending an email and getting no response. Just a quick FYi: Feb. 20 was a SUNDAY. "I didn't get a response," she writes of her Feb. 20 email. Well, gee, are you really surprised you didn't? It was a Sunday, and I don't care how responsive a breed registry needs to be, I would never expect a response on a Sunday. I don't know about the rest of you, but Sundays are devoted to church/family/horses for me, and I try not to work on that one day of the week. She didn't wait until Monday evening to start this thread. She started it on Sunday evening. That, to me, is awfully telling and downright unprofessional (to use a word that's been bandied about here with increasing frequency).

It looks like the registry is trying to make it right with the OP. Martin-Tucker wrote: "In good faith I believe we advised you that we did not order extra pads but would try to work something out. The latest from our side is that we are going to see to get you a pad. It may be a pad we get from Germany, it may be an all purpose pad that was left over from the USEF awards."

Most organizations, in this era of austerity, don't order extras of anything (which you should be glad for if you pay dues since it means, hopefully, that the organization isn't spending your dollars on fancy dinners, extra awards that will gather dust, and other crazy crap that isn't necessary), so they're going to have to do some hoop-jumps to fix this problem. It sounds like they're willing to do that.

I guess you can boycott this registry forevah, just as the OP hoped you would when she first started this thread, but I think that's a ridiculous overreaction to the situation. No matter what, the OP has burned some bridges with her registry. If I were her, I would respond politely to Martin-Tucker asking to work this out and delete this thread ASAP. It would be the professional thing to do.

meupatdoes
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:00 AM
Oh come on! You'll never belong to this organization because of one incident that involved someone else and that could be interpreted in many ways? Never, never, never?

The excuse that the Oldenburg registry cited is just ridiculous.

I'm sorry, maybe I have just ridiculously high expectations for this day and age, but I expect when somebody mails something to me they use a mailing database from more recently than 10 weeks ago, especially if provided with an alternate address in the meantime several weeks before the actual mailing.

And then they have the gall to criticize her for "not seeming grateful"????!!!

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

You have GOT to be kidding.

No, I for one won't pay money to sign up to get treated like that, actually. I guess I'm just not "grateful" enough. :rolleyes:

OP I appreciate the heads up.

longride1
Feb. 26, 2011, 01:43 PM
My job is writing emails to respond to customer complaints for a Fortune 500 company. I deal with this type of situation every day. As a pro I was giving the Registry a lot of leeway. However I thought it would be fun to post how it could have been handled.

1st Email

Answer all questions and gather any necessary information.
Reply - pads were shipped x date. If there is anything we can do to assist you please reply with your name and the nature of problem.

Once the problem was stated it is not the responsibility of the customer to know the processes necessary to resolve the problem. The package was tracked and it was found it wasn't returned. It was also found that it was sent to the wrong address and that the Registry had the correct address. It DOES NOT MATTER that the person sending out the pads did not have the correct address. The customer did everything reasonable to insure it was sent correctly.

At this point the guidelines are:

Acknowledge the error
Acknowledge the customer's feelings about this error
We're sorry you won't be able to use the pad at the upcoming clinic. We know how much pleasure this would have given you. Even - it disappoints us too. We would like to have had our Registry emblem displayed.

Resolve the problem ; we are looking into getting a pad for you from Germany. (No cast off leftover all purpose pads, please.)
Confirm expectation: we will be in touch with you within x days to let you know a shipping date.

Sometimes I've had to restate the time frame several times because customers want an instant solution for problems that take time. It's email. If I look at my reply and think "I wonder if I should have my coach look at this" I know I need to rewrite it. It is not my job to teach customers how to do complaints.

Oh and Mrs. Martin-Tucker, I do know how you felt, but not every complaint is an attack. I'm going to tell the BBB and shop at the other store are sorta standard closing lines. A quick friendly resolution can turn that next email into "I'll never shop anywhere else. You guys are the greatest."

Coreene
Feb. 26, 2011, 01:54 PM
The John and Ken Show on the radio here in LA have it right when they occasionally refer to a PIO as a "spokeshole." But even the most educated spokeshole would know not to say "grateful."

Long Spot
Feb. 26, 2011, 02:03 PM
Dear Ms. Call,

Nonetheless, we are doing what we can to address the situation even though you do not seem grateful for our efforts or the many thousands of dollars of your dues money that the organization spends on the awards program.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

Marne, I fixed your quote by adding the bolded part. Seems you'd forgotten that bit.

Cheers!

rugbygirl
Feb. 26, 2011, 02:12 PM

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

Yup, that's the part right there. It's not like there are a shortage of breed organizations to choose from.

And yes, one incident is more than enough to make up my mind. What exactly can this organization do for me that is valuable enough to put up with an attitude like Marne's?

And agree 100% with longride1, the system she described is how proper customer service is taught in reasonable, successful organizations...though under different names and specifics. It's based on a core of effective, solution-oriented communication.

Marne's post here was very effective at painting her and the organization she represents as elitist snots who'd rather squabble than achieve a solution.

If you think your customers are morons every time they express disappointment, well, enjoy the ones you retain. Hopefully your service is valuable or rare enough that people will put up with your crap. The Oldenburg Association (one of many) doesn't appear to offer anything really valuable that can't be obtained with any number of other clubs.

--

I just had a discussion with someone on another board about this. All these breed clubs are crying for money and members, but Marne's style of response is more common than you think. People just drop out of the clubs. No, you don't need to compromise yourself and cater to unreasonable requests all the time, but some simple customer service skills would go MILES to helping these clubs retain and attract members, get volunteers and attract donations. Instead, they seem to prefer to make rules in a tight little inner circle and be ridiculously offended when someone suggests a better way or identifies a mistake.

--

Shoutout to Canadian Trakehner though, so far you've been super! :)

Now if I can just find a breed club to record my clyde/dutch/thoroughbred/paint mutt, I'll be all set. I wonder what the breed logo for HER is...

Cowgirl
Feb. 26, 2011, 03:42 PM
Here is the part that I don't get:

I have won an All Breeds at each of the national levels from North American Danish Warmblood--they give fantastic prizes--jackets, day sheets...this year I got a black leather halter with chrome fittings and a chrome halter plate. Gorgeous stuff. They always call and get the size. They ALWAYS send it by Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. I think you can also do signature required. For this kind of thing, you want to know that it arrived at it's destination. (And btw, I don't think I have ever had a year where my membership fee of $45 was even HALF the cost of the prize awarded me!) This year, they did put the wrong address (wrong #s)on my box and it was delivered down the street, but my neighbor brought it over. I called the next day to see why they had the wrong address #, and they checked and it was an administrative error. But NADWA would have been able to track the package and know where it was delivered. They would have seen that it was not delivered to me and I have every belief they would have sent me another if they couldn't find the original.

And a saddle pad is NOT that expensive. Sure a one off with new embroidery will probably cost more than doing a slew of them, but REALLY...good will is harder to get back than a couple of bucks. I understand that these organizations are run by volunteers, so they may not be the most professional...But surely they can understand that someone has paid THOUSANDS in show fees (the membership fee is not the only cost) and deserves their prize!!!

While I would be tempted to make my own saddle pad with the breed logo in a circle with a slash through it...or refer to my horse as a Cheapskatenburg, to me that is immature and really not going to accomplish anything. What I would do if I couldn't get resolution of this through polite adult discourse is copy everything to USDF and file a protest.

Cowgirl
Feb. 26, 2011, 03:49 PM
And this deserves a separate post...

A BIG CONGRATS TO YOU DUDLEY AND YOUR HORSE FOR YOUR NATIONAL AWARD!!!!

ALSO, CONGRATS TO MJHCO AND HER HORSE FOR HER NATIONAL AWARD AS WELL!!!

WAY TO GO YOU GUYS!!! YOU ROCK IT!

equinelaw
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
I am confused:confused: This is not OP posting an e-mail from Marne. This is Marne posting directly on COTH?? Good call on the Mods part to leave the thread up.

Wow. Its not slander if its true.

Dear Ms. Call,

I am the person in charge of the Awards for OHBS and you have NEVER contacted me about this problem. Your post is not correct in this. You have contacted Holly Simensen in January, who while the Breed Director, does not handle the awards program, and when you contacted her you did not even include your name, horse details, or award area.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker

Kementari
Feb. 26, 2011, 08:51 PM

AHA pulled a similar move with me a couple of years ago, with the OEIP. Actually, they neglected to mail awards AT ALL for six months, and then when they did they mailed it to my old address. When I called another couple of months later, I was told that I could pay to have another award made. (Wasn't going to happen. I pay their ridiculous dues every year despite dubious return for my money; I'm not paying any more.)

Luckily I contacted the PO and they did indeed still have the package. I did have to pay to have it shipped to me, but they (PO) were very nice about it.

Of course, we DON'T have a choice of breed organizations, which they well know. If we did, I'd have switched then and there.

But at least they didn't accuse me of being "ungrateful." :eek:

inca
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:00 PM
I was aware that this breed registry has a condescending attitude about the "other" Oldenburg registry but I had no idea that attitude is also applied to their own dues-paying members. WOW

To come on a public bulletin board and basically call one of your members, who won a year-end award, stupid (can't follow their inane rule of submitting ALL address changes by Sept. 30), a liar AND ungrateful is just not the best PR move. (No those exact words were not used but they sure seemed to be implied.)

And please do explain what happens if you win a year-end award and move on November 5. It is amazing to me that you can not deal with a change of address sent in after September 30 but before you mail the awards.

rugbygirl
Feb. 26, 2011, 09:05 PM
Don't forget casting aspersion on the OP's relative unwillingness to approach the tenants at her old property. It's totally reasonable to expect that they would have received the package, kept it, and be totally open and friendly to a stranger calling more than once on it.

If I was asked more than once for mail from the previous house owners, I'd be ticked.

But at least they didn't accuse me of being "ungrateful."

No, their MO would be to be extremely friendly, explain that they couldn't mail the awards because the BNTs were busy disputing the points calculations in a series of squabbly meetings, then explaining that they had to use the old addresses due to some system that you clearly don't understand. And they are volunteers, after all *cheerful smile*

Coreene
Feb. 26, 2011, 10:05 PM
It's also not slander if it is written, it is libel. But I was so gratefulenberg for the laugh I got from Marne's post! :lol:

SillyHorse
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:30 AM
The latest from our side is that we are going to see to get you a pad. It may be a pad we get from Germany, it may be an all purpose pad that was left over from the USEF awards.

Sincerely,

Marne Martin-Tucker
And the OP should be grateful because... ? The hubris of Ms. Martin-Tucker's post is mind boggling.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 27, 2011, 09:41 AM
OP, I looked up your standings in the USDF Yearbook - CONGRATULATIONS, great median score - and at 3rd level! Old Gov, bleah, I think you should sent your member a new saddlepad AND a free membership for 2011!

mjhco
Feb. 27, 2011, 01:33 PM

AHA sent their USDF All_breeds awards in APRIL last year. April.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 27, 2011, 07:50 PM
OP, I looked up your standings in the USDF Yearbook - CONGRATULATIONS, great median score - and at 3rd level! Old Gov, bleah, I think you should sent your member a new saddlepad AND a free membership for 2011!

IF she'd still WANT a membership...

Dudly's emails were sloppy, but the replies were over-the-top cranky.

dudleyc
Feb. 28, 2011, 08:17 AM
No news from GOV. This whole thing is regrettable.

http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff392/lizcall/135572_168422313195330_100000826869359_280889_4931 498_o.jpg

The horses are nice though

ThreeFigs
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
Good grief! It's only been a few days since the exchange with the snark queen Marne.

If they have to ship a pad from Germany, it's going to take a while.

Regrettable, yes. A comedy of errors and defensive snark.

witherbee
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:48 AM
And then: "I have no interest in trying to pursue contact with the new tenants. IF they received the package, then they did not return it. Trying to follow up 2+ months after the fact doesn't seem worthwhile. And I no longer live anywhere nearby." Yeah, but what about the landlord? I always maintain great relationships with my previous landlords, so checking with him or her on misdelivered mail or other issues is a breeze. I guess the OP finally did check with the landlord after several people mentioned it here, but why not do that first, before starting this thread?

I think she didn't do that because there's something NQR about the previous rental situation that the OP doesn't want to discuss publicly and that prevented her from doing due diligence. Yet, she expects the breed registry to hop to it.

Then: "I then received an email from the director on 2/3. I responded to her email and heard back from her on 2/3. I responded again to the director on 2/3 and heard back from the director on 2/4. These emails established: that I had indeed won the award, sent in the change of address on Nov 3rd, that all awards had been mailed in mid decmeber before christmas, that mine had been sent to the old address, that it was sent postal and had not been returned to the sender. Since the response on 2/4, I have not heard back from either the director or the awards person."

It looks like the registry is trying to make it right with the OP. Martin-Tucker wrote: "In good faith I believe we advised you that we did not order extra pads but would try to work something out. The latest from our side is that we are going to see to get you a pad. It may be a pad we get from Germany, it may be an all purpose pad that was left over from the USEF awards."

She stated several times that she DID contact the landlord and that the landlord reached out to the tenants. How many people are that familiar with the post office and other package delivery policies? Most people don't move a lot, and when you do move, if you are not expecting packages or think you have covered all of your address changes, you probably would not pay for package forwarding. Sheesh - hindsight is 20/20, but for the OP to have thought that this award might get misdirected months beforehand is a bit over the top IMO. Some people are just not comfortable pushing complete strangers and that may be why she is leery of reaching out to the renters again (the landlord did once).

Your comment about her rental situation was totally out of line and rather bizarre.

As for the registries response, that was very aggressive and unprofessional. She should have just responded to the OP privately and, if she felt she needed to defend the registry, she could have just come on and explained the shipping timeline issue and that they were going to make things right and moved on. She should not have attacked the OP (who did not seem to be attacking the registry, was just expressing disappointment for not getting her award). That letter would really make me not want to deal with this registry either.

The folks that are saying the OP did not do a good job with her emails are missing the point. Her first email was just to find out if the awards had shipped out - no need for her name and other details there. If they had not shipped, she probably would have confirmed that they were using the correct address and that would have been the end of it. When she realized they had been shipped and not recieved, and when she was asked, she immediately provided her contact details.

What a nasty mess for something that should be such a happy occassion. It taints the award. As for the whole "gratitude" attitude by Marne, that is just a shame - it is the MEMBERS that make a registry work, and their hard work and dues money and volunteering that make is successful. NEVER would I tell a member to be "grateful" - especially in this case where the issue could have been quickly and graciously resolved by sending out a new saddle pad.

To the OP, congratulations on your performance, and so sorry that you have had to deal with this. Some of the posters on here are very holier-than-thou, but it seems to me that you did nothing wrong and deserve an apology and a new saddle pad ASAP.

rugbygirl
Feb. 28, 2011, 10:57 AM
Good grief! It's only been a few days since the exchange with the snark queen Marne.

Yes, where Marne obviously had access to a computer and the time to write her charming reply. It is reasonable to expect that she would have communicated with the OP with AT LEAST an email, since the path forward wasn't really all that clear in her post. "Maybe we'll do this, maybe you'll get a leftover, maybe, blah." No confirmation that she'd even send it to the new address!

If I were the OP, I would definitely have contacted her by phone following that post if I didn't hear anything. And I wouldn't have been cheerfully polite (though civil, of course.)

ThreeFigs
Feb. 28, 2011, 11:04 AM
Marne's response appeared here on Friday, the 25th. It's Monday morning. I doubt the charming & gracious (not) Marne works over the weekend.

meupatdoes
Feb. 28, 2011, 11:45 AM
Yeah, we should be grateful when she deigns to come in during the week.

And just for the record, a quick glance at Marne's posting history indicates she is indeed capable of posting on COTH over the weekend.

On January 22, a SATURDAY if you can believe it, she was telling the world about how great her Quarterback baby is and making an additional post about Sir Gregory. Then on the 15th, also a Saturday amazingly enough, she commented about Hubertus Schmidt selling his horse.

So apparently she knows how to read and respond to the internet even if it is the weekend.

dudleyc
Feb. 28, 2011, 11:57 AM
No news from GOV. This whole thing is regrettable.

I can see how that could be taken as a negative statement. I was only stating the fact that I had not yet heard anything.

dudleyc
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:19 PM
One last thought before riding,

I've gotten a lot of comments on my emails. My very first effort was to call. However, I was calling from my office and my office phone is blocked (I'm an MD and patients were just calling back the MD's rather than going through triage, so all of the doctors phones are blocked). The oldenburg horse breeders association does not accept blocked calls.

I don't know how to unblock the office phone and there is no cell phone service in the building. So I fired off a quick email. My asumption at that time was that the awards had not yet been mailed.

As far as the costs of the pads, they were actually donated by Back on Track.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 28, 2011, 12:23 PM
OK, point taken, Meupatdoes -- I assumed she was responding from the office regarding "business" matters.

Bragging about her Quaterback baby or the rest is not "business". This award thing is.

I predict heads will roll or butts will be kicked over this at the registry HQ.

Long Spot
Feb. 28, 2011, 02:13 PM
As far as the costs of the pads, they were actually donated by Back on Track.

:eek:
Didn't Marne say something about you not being grateful for the thousands of dollars they spend on awards?

dudleyc
Feb. 28, 2011, 06:04 PM
Yes and Marne was quite right I am not full of grates.

Brigit
Feb. 28, 2011, 06:13 PM
What a mess. I think it likely could have been handled a little bit better on both sides of the fence.

I dunno but if it was me I a) wouldn't have waited 4 months from when they were mailed to ask about them, b) Would be contacting the new tenants & post office for SURE and c) when I emailed I would have been very clear as to what I wanted "Hi there, It's _____, who rode _____ this year and won ______ award. I was just wondering if the prizes had been mailed out yet? If so, I haven't received mine and thought I'd verify that you got my updated address that I sent on ____ __, 2010. It is Box 999, Route 5, Station Lane, AK 99909. Could you check into it for me? Thanks very much!"
Use of some P's & Q's right off the bat can make such a huge difference to how a situation unfolds. No you don't "have" to but as they say you get more bees with honey...

Honestly.... I'm very suspicious the the post left by Marne.... Was it really left by the REAL Marne or by someone trying to stir the pot? I would think if someone were to post with that fervor, they'd continue to defend themself & their organization vs. just posting once and leaving it.

ETA: The situation sucks and I totally agree that Marne's response (if that was truly her) SUCKS even worse. It was un-necessary and I really hope you get the prize you worked so hard to earn!

mmt
Mar. 5, 2011, 08:28 AM
Hello COTH posters.

The Replacement Saddle Pad was shipped on Monday priority mail to the lady in question. It should have already been received as it was to be delivered no later than Wednesday. I had shipped it within two days of saying I would so that is a fast turn-around in any ones' world.

The Back on Track saddle pads were NOT donated by Back on Track, but the company VERY kindly gave us a nice discount. We also paid for the custom embroidery and shipping individually to people.

I am a volunteer and do this for free. I have a full time job, horses, and travel internationally most of the month. Since that post, I have been in multiple countries and have not been on the internet until now again - the next weekend.

If any on of you would like to apply and handle the awards program. kindly contact the Oldenburg office in Florida. I will gladly turn it over to you. The website and contact details are at www.oldenburghorse.com

Best wishes for the 2011 competition year.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 5, 2011, 09:31 AM
Agree with most of Brigit's post, especially regarding the courtesy of identifying oneself in communications.

Thank you, mmt, for the clarification and update. "The rest of the story" is that you are a volunteer for the organization. I had no idea.

I'm not a member of the oldenburg group, but I appreciate the work of volunteers who keep dressage going, locally or nationally. This episode illustrates how thankless a vol's position can be sometimes.

dudleyc
Mar. 6, 2011, 07:15 AM
Well that is something for me to look forward to when I pick up my mail on Monday, with my work schedule, its hard to get to the post office.

Thank-you MMT. I'll be in touch re. helping with the awards program!

Liz and Gesstenia.

rugbygirl
Mar. 7, 2011, 11:51 PM
I am a volunteer and do this for free. I have a full time job, horses, and travel internationally most of the month. Since that post, I have been in multiple countries and have not been on the internet until now again - the next weekend.

If any on of you would like to apply and handle the awards program. kindly contact the Oldenburg office in Florida. I will gladly turn it over to you. The website and contact details are at www.oldenburghorse.com

Classic. :rolleyes:

mmt, your post would have been awesomely professional if you'd omitted these two paragraphs.

alg0181
Mar. 8, 2011, 01:56 AM

Best wishes for the 2011 competition year.

You sure sound like volunteering there makes you utterly miserable. What a rude and condescending reply. You know what, I'll handle the awards. I don't own an Oldenburg and don't know the first thing about running an awards program, but at least I wouldn't be b*tchy to the registry's paying members.

PS: The money the registry spent on pads and embroidery was money paid TO the registry by members. If the awards program is really costing you so much money that you have to whine about it, maybe you need to take a look at your budget. :rolleyes:

meupatdoes
Mar. 8, 2011, 03:36 AM
I think I'll go volunteer at the Legal Aid office and be a complete [jerk] to everyone who walks in needing legal help.

Wtfever, I can behave however I want because "I'M A VOLUNTEER."
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

PS -I in no way think Dudley would have gotten her saddle pad if not for this thread. This is pretty obviously the most begrudgingly issued prize ever.

DownYonder
Mar. 8, 2011, 06:02 AM
FWIW, the OHBS awards program is funded entirely with proceeds from the stallion service auction - not via member dues.

OP, I am sorry your original saddle pad was sent to your old address. I am also sorry this whole sad tale had to play out here on the Internet. If you had answered the PM I sent you several weeks ago, I could probably have helped to straighten this out for you.

And a general comment - while, as Colonel Doolittle said on the eve of the 1942 bombing raid on Tokyo - "Nothing is stronger than the heart of a volunteer" - volunteers do tend to burn out, esp. when the only time they hear from anyone is regarding a complaint. This is true in ALL types of organizations across ALL walks of life.

gettingbettereveryday
Mar. 8, 2011, 07:07 AM
You sure sound like volunteering there makes you utterly miserable. What a rude and condescending reply.

Gosh, I was thinking the exact same thing about the OP. Now that she's taken this fight to the Internet, I'll bet the breed registry is jumping up and down with excitement to work with her. I guess it's all perspective, isn't it? :rolleyes:

alg0181
Mar. 8, 2011, 08:17 AM
Gosh, I was thinking the exact same thing about the OP. Now that she's taken this fight to the Internet, I'll bet the breed registry is jumping up and down with excitement to work with her. I guess it's all perspective, isn't it? :rolleyes:

I agree that the OP could have been more helpful and polite, but I happen to think that people are (or should be) held to a higher standard of respectfulness and graciousness when they are representing a company or an organization.

Frankly I have had customers behave much more rudely to me than the OP did to this person, and I didn't react with snark and attitude. Even if what the customer is complaining about is ridiculous to you, they obviously feel very slighted and upset and 99% of the time, all it takes to fix that is to be kind and understanding. I would certainly never tell a customer to be grateful that they are getting the product at all. The whole attitude about the "leftover AP pads" was just uncalled for.

All it would have taken was a reply like, "I know you worked very hard for this award and I am deeply sorry that you have not received it. I will be taking all steps necessary to ensure that you get your pad, even if we have to issue a new one."

I think the OP was rather calm in her posts, imagine if someone ordered a product from a company (OK so the registry isn't for profit--imagine if they ordered it off the ASPCA store then) and never got it because the company messed up the address. Would you blame them for being upset, and possibly posting about it online? If it were me, and the ASPCA told me "tough [edit]," you'd better believe I'd be raving mad, and let people know. IMO if a company/organization doesn't want someone speaking poorly of them, maybe they should take steps to ensure they are treating everyone with respect and going out of their way to resolve issues like this.

WOW I rambled. Sorry. I just had a hard time with mmt's snark when I have worked retail where people really DO actually THREATEN you and yell and you and can just be all-around [jerks]. OP was none of that, and in no situation does a response like that reflect well on the company/organization.

gettingbettereveryday
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:19 AM
If it were me, and the ASPCA told me "tough [edit]," you'd better believe I'd be raving mad, and let people know. IMO if a company/organization doesn't want someone speaking poorly of them, maybe they should take steps to ensure they are treating everyone with respect and going out of their way to resolve issues like this.

But they didn't say "tough [edit]." That's what everyone seems to be overlooking. They asked the OP for more information and then said they'd look into it. They behaved appropriately, and given the circumstances, they were respectful of the OP.

The OP got pissed off and took it to this forum because she felt she didn't get the response she deserved/needed/wanted. The breed organization didn't make the argument public. The OP did.

The breed organization doesn't appear to have any more of the dressage pads (and having worked for a non-profit before, I believe that), but they are trying to make good on the award by sending her an AP pad. It's really too bad the original prize got lost, but stuff happens.

The thing is: If the OP had been nice about it and not taken this to the COTH forum, I'd bet money that the breed organization would have sent her the AP pad and followed up with something else during this year's award season as a consolation.

I had some problems with the Pinto Horse Association a few years ago. I was angry, but I sweet-talked them to death on the phone and in email. Guess what? The person who started out a grumpy troll ended up being my best ally and helped me resolve the issue. It didn't happen quickly, but I was very happy with the outcome.

My point, all along, has been that there is more than one way to resolve a problem, and I personally think the OP did herself and the breed organization a disservice by trying to resolve this problem in a public forum.

alg0181
Mar. 8, 2011, 09:37 AM
In my opinion, saying "it may be a leftover AP pad from USEF" is just like saying "tough [edit]." They had the correct address, mailed it to the old one anyways, and then want to send a different pad? Sorry but OP fulfilled her end of the transaction by paying dues, winning the award, and informing them of the address change.

If I went to a sandwich shop, bought and paid for a BLT, and was told to be grateful for a tuna salad because they were out of bacon, I'd be upset and would not consider the different sandwich (or the crappy attitude) any substitute for what I was promised.

(Sorry, I'm hungry.)

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

DownYonder
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:13 AM
Certainly lots of things went wrong here, many of which involved unfortunate timing.

During late fall and winter, the office is staffed by only one person, who travels quite frequently. In the Oct/Nov timeframe, she was on the road extensively at mare/foal inspections, then WEG, followed by more mare/foal inspections, then the North American 70 day stallion performance test in Oklahoma, and then immediately left for the big Oldenburg stallion licensing event in Germany. This is probably why the OP’s address change was not processed immediately. Also, since the director does not handle the awards program, she was probably not aware when the original address change came in that the OP was expecting an award, so would not have recognized the need to expedite processing of the information, or to pass it to the awards chair. Compounding that is the fact that awards lists had already been compiled some weeks previously and the info sent to the embroiderer, who ships the pads directly to the award winners.

So again, the breakdown resulted from a perfect storm of timing issues. I think the takeaway is that everyone involved has learned what can be done to try to prevent further incidences of this sort. At any rate – the registry has ordered a special replacement pad for the OP, which she has hopefully received by now.

rugbygirl
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:31 AM
I think the takeaway is that everyone involved has learned what can be done to try to prevent further incidences of this sort.

I am not confident that the registry learned anything of the sort. The awards director appears to be looking for a replacement, not ways to avoid conflict or resolve any issues down the road.

The OP sent in her change of address...I am not clear at all what else they expected her or anyone else to do in a similar situation.

I despise the "well, we're volunteer" duck-out. I've been a volunteer, I try hard to do a good job. I put my name up there, I don't get a free pass to be a complete jerk. I've often been faced with complaining, whiny volunteers...and wondered why my name never gets called and why the complainer ends up in the position EVERY. DARN. YEAR.

There were a few timing issues, sure. The OP didn't really send out the best emails, but they weren't rude or out of line (according to what is posted here.) I think that until she posted on COTH, the registry was content to say "tough cookies." The real shame here is that they had the ability and means to get this person their award, but had to be manipulated into doing it by public shaming. Instead of just posting their very nice resolution, their representative posted ANOTHER inappropriate, whining response.

This really isn't about a saddle pad, I hope people get that.

mg
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:47 AM
Certainly lots of things went wrong here, many of which involved unfortunate timing.

Really? I thought it involved unfortunate communication (on the registry's part). I know I certainly didn't think ill of the registry until Marne posted here in the tone that she did. It was a simple error and very understandable, imo. What wasn't understandable was the biting and sarcastic response from the organization (volunteer or NOT) which bordered on an attack.

If being a volunteer sucks that much, don't do it. Not being paid for your position does not alleviate you from the responsibility of representing your organization in the most professional manner possible. If you are not up the task of treating a volunteer position like a paying job, as far as professional behavior is concerned, then I do not believe you are up to the task of being a volunteer. Volunteers and paid employees alike are allowed to be frustrated and harbor their own personal feelings about customers and their interactions with them, but those feelings and harsh words should be taken off-line and the steam let off behind the scenes.

The customer isn't always right, but they certainly should be treated as if they are. Or at least that they are important. It's called customer service.

"Dear OP:

I would first like to apologize for my delayed response. I have been out of the country and am just now attending to my emails. We at the OHBS are sincerely sorry that your year end prize was delivered to the wrong address. It appears that our systems did not process the change of address in time for the delivery of the awards.

I will make sure this is rectified and you receive an award for your impressive accomplishments this year. I will also personally see to it that the new package has your correct and current address.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I will be in touch.

Sincerely,

xxxx"

Really not that hard.

paintlady
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:48 AM
OK, I'm all for excellent customer service and fairness, but this is unreasonable, IMHO. Why wouldn't you contact the former tenants? A quick note sent via email or a phone call to the rental agency to get a message to the new tenants is not a huge deal. Maybe they have it and keep thinking "we've got to return this." It happens. People, even those folks with the best of intentions, get busy, especially around the holidays.

My brother once sent our Christmas gifts to our old address after we moved. When he realized the error, I wrote a very nice letter to the new residents. I didn't receive a response or the pacakge with the gifts. Some folks just don't give a damn.

In this case, I really don't see what the big deal is with the breed organization sending a replacement award. They admitted that the error was theirs. It's now theirs to correct. I'm sorry the OP is getting treated so poorly. I wouldn't be happy either.

DownYonder
Mar. 8, 2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks, you guys have made your point - repeatedly.

Steps have been taken to rectify the situation. :)

dudleyc
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=gettingbettereveryday;5469419]But they didn't say "tough [edit]." That's what everyone seems to be overlooking. They asked the OP for more information and then said they'd look into it. They behaved appropriately, and given the circumstances, they were respectful of the OP.QUOTE]

They asked for more information and THEN stopped answering my emails. After multiple atempts, I took it to this forum and sent them links to thread.

ThreeFigs
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:36 PM
Have you received your pad? Can we let this thread die a dignified death already?

dudleyc
Mar. 8, 2011, 02:37 PM
oops, I edited that to say that I had received a beautiful pad, which I used today in my lesson with Lendon Gray!!!

Moderator 1
Mar. 9, 2011, 09:33 AM
As it looks like the saddle pad has been successfully sent and received, and the issue resolved in that regard, we're going to close the thread.

Thanks,
Mod 1