PDA

View Full Version : What did you do with your OTTB this week?

haligator
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:50 AM
Hi All,
I went to see Xena ('ZZ') two days ago and she and I had the best time. It's been bitter cold here but we had one of those days you dream about in winter. 50 degrees, sunny, and no wind.

First, I groomed Xena with my hands to get out the new 'dreadlocks' in her mane and tail. Then I spent time scratching all her itchy places. We were really 'clicking' if you know what I mean.

Then, Stud Muffin, the miniature donkey insisted on chewing on my jacket and legs. I looked like a wet bundle of snot by the time he was done with me.

Xena and I sniffed noses and I hugged her with my cheek against her cheek. I love breathing in her different smells - it varies between her nose, cheek, and neck. I checked her legs and looked her over - things looked good.

I can't begin to tell you what a wonderful day it was! To be with my mare and have quality time was so special.

By the way, if I show her this summer I think her show name will be 'K2' after the second highest peak in the world.

What did you do with you OTTB this week?

Hallie
Hallie I. McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

brightskyfarm
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:30 AM
great story Hallie,

We had some of that terrific weather too this week. I ponied a few horses on the farm, with everyone enjoying the legging up. That fellow was glad to be back to work; you could feel his pride in each step as he marched his charges to the in gate.

The others were glad to hit the trails again! Last Sunday we took a cleint out and were still breaking through the snow.
The full moon was up early all week so we rode each day into the dark with moon shadows to light our way.

By Friday the winds arrived and I spent an evening like yours; snuggling in the barn, lazily grooming everyone. Yesterday, everyone had off, less feed, more hay, quiet barn day while the winds took over our world completely.

Today!~ riding with a friend in Stoney Valley ( Pa state game lands). Its still below freezing but sunny -- tonight the rain, snow and sleet are arriving. Good thing I ordered a rain quarter sheet as it looks like its going to be a wet spring~

I rode all winter until the ice arrived. I'm aiming my tb-g towards a 2-day 50 in July.

Blinkers On
Feb. 20, 2011, 01:41 PM
What did I do for my OTTB this week? Paid for her to live a cushy, pregnant existence ;)

veronica2368
Feb. 20, 2011, 02:42 PM
My got a bath!! I have never seen such a muddy, caked on mess! The snow has melted but the pastures are soup. My boy Dillon loves water and mud...and he made sure he found a bunch of it!

shwjmp
Feb. 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
My OTTB mare and I spent our days this week of radically changing weather patterns working on trot poles and transitions--not an easy feat during the howling winds and loudly creaking indoor of the last two days. She is so brave and smart I can pretty much feel her thinking things through. What a good find she was in November. I got so lucky makes me want to run out and get another one!

Rangergirl56m
Feb. 20, 2011, 07:32 PM
My OTTB learned how to sidepass :-D

Toadie's mom
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yep, beautiful weather for the last week:D In the last 3wks Petey has had chiropractic, acupuncture and teeth done:eek: Yesterday we did a very low key cross country schooling. My regular trainer was busy elsewhere, and I couldn't talk anyone else into going with me, so we didn't do much.

I was able to tag along with a 12yr old (and her trainer) on a 19yr old mustang. They were a joy to watch and a calming influence on Pete, who hasn't been out much this winter.

danceronice
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
Details in my latest blog entry, but Lucky and I did get out in what's apparently the last of the nice weather for a while yesterday (today's freezing rain). I managed to scrape most of the mud off and go for a proper ride. Someone's going to need some shaping up once the weather finally clears!

up-at-5
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
I didn't do too much with my three, other than worry about them.
What with working full time, and extreme weather variations, I was in a real state!
Leave them in? Leave them out? Too cold in am for light blanket, too warm in pm for heavy blanket, icy footing, etc etc etc! I even canceled much needed hair appt for myself so I could rush home from work to change blankets:lol:

billiebob
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:15 PM
Rode four times, including our first outdoor ride since early December in the freshly-harrowed outdoor yesterday with 40 mph wind gusts and a neighbor carrying trash bags and messing around with a tarp. We spent a lot of time with his new best friends Leg Yield and Shoulder-In. *sigh* On the plus side we jumped the 18" tiger trap/coop (scary for him) and the 2'9 stacked cavaletti (scary for me :lol:).

The most exciting thing was that it was warm enough on Wednesday to wash de-gunk and detangle his tail. There's no hot water in the barn unless I feel like warming it up in the kettle, so I've been waiting to do that for a while. And today I rigged up a memory foam half pad out of a fleece gel pad cover, an old memory foam mattress pad, and some nylon strapping. I can't wait to see if it works!

babygreenqueen
Feb. 20, 2011, 09:50 PM
weather here changes every day....he had a great school by my trainer over 2'3 and almost 2'6 with lead changes...got a nice bath that day and grazed for 45 minutes in hand.
was just saying how far he's come.....trainer said he's ready to show!!
next day it was 40s rainy and blustery so all i did was try to stay on lol.
this am had a great lesson in the cold with gusty wind a few spooks but cantered poles adding then leaving one out, several xrails across diagonal. we wore a flannel quarter sheet.

tomorrow day off but it could be 70s.....never quite sure in feb.
so my first show is mid march. cant wait.

MoonLadyIsis
Feb. 20, 2011, 10:09 PM
mine got a bath, learned how to open my jacket pocket for mints and weaseled her way further into my heart :)

Madeline
Mar. 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
Fed them, kept them from biting the farrier. Fed them again. Poop-scooped.
Scheduled farrier for shoes on in mid-April, which, for me, is the First Day of Summer. By then they should be down to the shine in spots, at least.

DeeThbd
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:28 PM
Had some lovely rides in the indoor on two of my boys....and both of them had fun spooking at imaginary boogiemen! :D With Heart I worked on suppleness - he is VERY one-sided, so right turns can be interesting, but I AM seeing improvement!! I am working on building up muscle tone and fitness in Boo after a long layoff, so we just worked on walking, the halt and backing - and he was very willing instead of being resistant to back! First time in over a dozen years that I've had an indoor, and am eternally grateful...we're hitting the mud and ice phase of the winter, including icy mud. :winkgrin:

TBrescue
Mar. 1, 2011, 09:33 PM
I hopped on bareback after not riding for a week and tried to find any spot in 30 acres that was not fetlock deep mud or sheer ice. The only spot I was able to find with decent footing was the asphalt driveway! I was happy my horse was well behaved and didn't act like a rodeo pony! :eek::eek:

Timex
Mar. 2, 2011, 10:17 AM
looked at them. winter stinks. :(

tarheelmd07
Mar. 2, 2011, 10:38 AM
We used the nice weather to get out of the ring and go hacking around the neighborhood - and now that the snow had finally melted, we could take one of our favorite loops through neighboring farms...which takes you right past the local alpaca farm. This was Stash's 2nd visit to the Alpacas...and he could've cared less. So I guess you could say we used the nice weather to solidify Stash's "Alpaca-proof" status.

We also went to our very first little jumper show...where he was a star over x-rails and in the itty-bitty 2' division...and won his very first tri-color.

caffeinated
Mar. 2, 2011, 12:49 PM
The one I'm riding now got introduced to gymnastics last weekend and was a SUPERSTAR! I love her so much :)

MintHillFarm
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:57 PM
looked at them. winter stinks. :(

I looked at all of mine too.

However, I did get up some motivation to ride one last night that I have boarded at an indoor facility. Luckily he is a saint and the same each ride, whether he is ridden 5 times a week or 5 times a month...

I am in central NY too and it is a weather roller coaster...much like my mood these days:)

jump4me
Mar. 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Outside of their general day to day care....

I groomed off all the mud.

Let them back out.

And watched them roll and get re-coated in wet mud again. :lol:

TimelyImpulse
Mar. 2, 2011, 04:10 PM
Well, with one of them, this past Sunday, we raced in a Hunt pairs race and placed second. I rode him in the ring today a bit and will ride him tomorrow in the fields for some fitness work. Hope to hunt him on Sunday.

The other two got fed and petted and turned out to play. More fun for them will be coming up soon. Hello guys... remember the smell of leather? :)

skip916
Mar. 4, 2011, 08:52 AM
after a long grooming session to get the mud off of...everywhere... we tacked up and enjoyed a sunshiny day! we worked on lateral work and canter transitions and she was so very good and listening to me so well! things that used to seem like a huge challenge are now becoming easier and i am so proud of her progress! i think she actually likes dressage!?!

then we dropped our stirrups and went on a long walk and checked the fencelines. then i fed everyone, marveled at the rate at which she can eat four flakes of hay, hugged her, patted the chickens and told them all goodnight!

Mukluk
Mar. 8, 2011, 11:29 PM
Saturday- a trail ride in the river/river bed navigating varied terrain including crossing water that was higher than her belly.

Sunday- rode to the beach and galloped on the sand. Got in the ocean up to her belly but then got splashed by a wave up to my thigh (and she's 16.2) Played in the water and did flying change serpentines down the beach. Fun fun fun.

Monday- off

Tuesday- flatwork in the arena (she much prefers trail riding!)

TBrescue
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:41 PM
I groomed off all the mud.

Let them back out.

And watched them roll and get re-coated in wet mud again. :lol:

I did this both Saturday and Sunday!!!

danceronice
Mar. 21, 2011, 07:53 PM
I made him work. He was not happy. I'm sure he's smug today without knowing why as I was feeling it this morning in my knees! But it was the first time since December there's been soft enough ground with no snow to ride!

haligator
Mar. 22, 2011, 02:28 AM
Hi All,
Had a reasonably nice day Sunday and met the farrier at the stable. We discussed the cracks in Xena's hind hooves and a game plan for dealing with the problem. Then, we wormed all the horses and donkey (Stud Muffin) and turned them back out.

Xena (ZZ) stepped on the farriers foot (oops) and probably broke a couple of her toes. I felt terrible about it. The farrier was really cool about the whole episode - she said 'goes with the territory.' Earlier in the week she was kicked by an Appaloosa. We then spent time telling Appaloosa jokes (Appaloosa fans, please forgive me).

Once again, what a gift to just be with my horse. Her personality, her goofy face, her smells, and her over-all being makes me feel special. I am the luckiest girl in the world. I thought I would never get over the death of the fair Juliet, and I never will, but I am so priveleged that ZZ is here for me. They all are special in their own way.

Oh! Before I forget to tell all of you, it looks like I am moving to Virginia, just outside of Charlottesville. Any of you in that neck of the woods?

Hallie :)

MintHillFarm
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:41 PM
Hallie - I wish I was moving to VA! How exciting for you...that is awesome.

Last weekend it was actually warm enough to have the ambition to trim some manes. Not so this past weekend. Still very cold in upstate NY...

shawneeAcres
Mar. 28, 2011, 07:44 PM
Here is an OTTB gelding that we are aiming for jumpers eventually:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKH8zmSCNHg

He's really getting the hang of this stuff!

Oddly enough he only raced three times, all as a 7 yr old, very weird!

Cruiser12
Mar. 30, 2011, 08:30 PM
Well on Monday I cancelled a dressage lesson at my new trainers who only has an outdoor arena due to tremendous amount of rain
Tuesday we attempted a little flat work in my ring which is on grass, but too wet, so we walked up the road (dead end-very little traffic and slow) and visited a neighbour and looked in on the minature horses, and waved at a couple other neighbours and then came home.
Today- more rain!
But I LOVE my boy- he's THE best horse I have had since my old QH mare Katy when I was 9-12. That was 30 + years ago and I've had several over the years.
you're the best Off The Table! (Sable now)

MardiGrasTimeStable
Mar. 31, 2011, 09:52 AM
So far this week - they all got groomed, and 3 will be getting baths today or tomorrow. No riding for them right now since the 2 rideable ones are due to drop foals anytime, and the other 3 OTTBs are either just pasture sound or haven't been ridden in so long they have likely forgotten what a saddle is.

danceronice
Mar. 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
Galloped! WHEE! (And he was so much more cooperative in the ring afterwards, too.)