PDA

View Full Version : 'Nice' Saddle

lovetojump2611
Feb. 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
I was recently given a nice brand dressage saddle. I am a jumper rider so I have no use for it. I want to sell it and I am trying to get an idea of how much it is worth. It's in pretty good condition, only been used a couple times. It was bought new about 10-12 years ago, but recently after it was bought it was just sitting in a house getting cleaned occassionally. So any ideas on how much I could get for it? Thanks for your help :)

mzm farm
Feb. 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Is this a brand name or just a description?

There is a "nice " brand dressage saddle listed at 275 obo on one of the websites. I have never heard of or seen these, so have no idea if that is appropriate.

lovetojump2611
Feb. 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes it's the brand name. When I looked online it seemed like they were selling for $200-400. I have a picture of it, which would probably make it easier to price but I can't figure out how to put it on here...

trabern
Feb. 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Nice brand saddles are older but very well-made Made-in-England saddles. They last forever. They are generally under-priced for their quality because the name is small and unknown, kind of like Whippy. I use a close-contact Nice that is about 15 years old in my lessons program and it really is classy and well-made.

Unfortunately saddles in general are not selling for much these days. Unless it fills a special need--like it is a wide or extra-wide, or unusual seat size--then $200 would be about right. I will say that a Nice saddle at $200 is a great buy--but all saddles are a great buy right now.

Samigator
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm pretty sure "Nice" brand was a precursor to HDR brand saddles.

alto
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
A discussion (http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7323) from UDBB

shalomypony
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:56 AM
Sent you a PM.

asuits
Feb. 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
Sent you a pm!

pattnic
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
The brand once known as "Nice" (as in Nice, France) is now Henri di Rivel (HdR).

sadlmakr
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:56 PM
Nice saddles are well made and I have had a couple come through the shop for billets and reflocking. They seem to last and women I know who have them seem to like them.
JMHO

asuits
Feb. 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
The brand once known as "Nice" (as in Nice, France) is now Henri di Rivel (HdR).

Thank you! Now I know what saddle to look for when I buy my next dressage saddle. I had a close contact NICE brand and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Alas, having kids made my butt bigger and I needed to sell it :(.

lovetojump2611
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the help! Yes I did find that a couple websites said that "Nice" was bought out by HDR, but HDRs seemed to be selling for a lot more (including the one I bought) so I was confused as to how much it was worth. Also to those who PMed me, I am not actually looking to sell the saddle, I have someone who is going to buy it I just wanted help pricing it. Sorry for the confusion! Again thanks for all the help :)

alto
Feb. 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
Carol Lavell dressage saddle that was made by Nice saddlery. They made two different models of CL, one that sold for about $950 new and the other about $1700.

This is still typical of HDR's saddle market.
One issue with "Nice" saddles is the confusion regarding the name - google a nice saddle & it's pretty difficult to select the hits that are actual "Nice" saddles.
Additionally most discontinued saddles get cleared out by the manufacturer so prices across the board drop - unless the saddles come back in vogue ...

pattnic
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Something else to remember is that back when "Nice" was a brand, saddles in general were less expensive than they are now.

KylieRose01
Jan. 10, 2016, 08:42 PM
I have a 17" all purpose saddle. It is a 'nice' brand saddle. I bought it used at a local tack shop called Spur Creek Tack Shop for $100. It had been owned for around 5 years or so before I bought it. I have owned it for about 6 months and absolutely love it! it is very comfortable. I would definitely recommend 'nice' saddles to everyone!

keysfins
Jan. 11, 2016, 08:40 AM
I have a 17" all purpose saddle. It is a 'nice' brand saddle. I bought it used at a local tack shop called Spur Creek Tack Shop for $100. It had been owned for around 5 years or so before I bought it. I have owned it for about 6 months and absolutely love it! it is very comfortable. I would definitely recommend 'nice' saddles to everyone!

How and why on earth did a thread from five years ago get resurrected?? By a newbie with one post?

<<<confused>>>

alibi_18
Jan. 11, 2016, 09:33 AM
How and why on earth did a thread from five years ago get resurrected?? By a newbie with one post?

<<<confused>>>

When you search the net for an information, it often leads to CoTh threads. Newbies get all excited, register in and post without looking at dates.

Some older members got caught doing this too. :)

hoopoe
Jan. 11, 2016, 09:34 AM
though she was certain to post the name of the tack store
feels like an ad to me