PDA

View Full Version : 'Nice' Saddle

lovetojump2611
Feb. 19, 2011, 11:34 AM
I was recently given a nice brand dressage saddle. I am a jumper rider so I have no use for it. I want to sell it and I am trying to get an idea of how much it is worth. It's in pretty good condition, only been used a couple times. It was bought new about 10-12 years ago, but recently after it was bought it was just sitting in a house getting cleaned occassionally. So any ideas on how much I could get for it? Thanks for your help :)

mzm farm
Feb. 19, 2011, 11:55 AM
Is this a brand name or just a description?

There is a "nice " brand dressage saddle listed at 275 obo on one of the websites. I have never heard of or seen these, so have no idea if that is appropriate.

lovetojump2611
Feb. 19, 2011, 12:02 PM
Yes it's the brand name. When I looked online it seemed like they were selling for $200-400. I have a picture of it, which would probably make it easier to price but I can't figure out how to put it on here...

trabern
Feb. 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
Nice brand saddles are older but very well-made Made-in-England saddles. They last forever. They are generally under-priced for their quality because the name is small and unknown, kind of like Whippy. I use a close-contact Nice that is about 15 years old in my lessons program and it really is classy and well-made.

Unfortunately saddles in general are not selling for much these days. Unless it fills a special need--like it is a wide or extra-wide, or unusual seat size--then $200 would be about right. I will say that a Nice saddle at $200 is a great buy--but all saddles are a great buy right now.

Samigator
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:05 AM
I'm pretty sure "Nice" brand was a precursor to HDR brand saddles.

alto
Feb. 21, 2011, 12:31 AM
A discussion (http://www.ultimatedressage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7323) from UDBB

shalomypony
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:56 AM
Sent you a PM.

asuits
Feb. 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
Sent you a pm!

pattnic
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
The brand once known as "Nice" (as in Nice, France) is now Henri di Rivel (HdR).

sadlmakr
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:56 PM
Nice saddles are well made and I have had a couple come through the shop for billets and reflocking. They seem to last and women I know who have them seem to like them.
JMHO

asuits
Feb. 21, 2011, 05:00 PM
The brand once known as "Nice" (as in Nice, France) is now Henri di Rivel (HdR).

Thank you! Now I know what saddle to look for when I buy my next dressage saddle. I had a close contact NICE brand and LOVED LOVED LOVED it! Alas, having kids made my butt bigger and I needed to sell it :(.

lovetojump2611
Feb. 22, 2011, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the help! Yes I did find that a couple websites said that "Nice" was bought out by HDR, but HDRs seemed to be selling for a lot more (including the one I bought) so I was confused as to how much it was worth. Also to those who PMed me, I am not actually looking to sell the saddle, I have someone who is going to buy it I just wanted help pricing it. Sorry for the confusion! Again thanks for all the help :)

alto
Feb. 22, 2011, 05:16 PM
Carol Lavell dressage saddle that was made by Nice saddlery. They made two different models of CL, one that sold for about $950 new and the other about $1700.

This is still typical of HDR's saddle market.
One issue with "Nice" saddles is the confusion regarding the name - google a nice saddle & it's pretty difficult to select the hits that are actual "Nice" saddles.
Additionally most discontinued saddles get cleared out by the manufacturer so prices across the board drop - unless the saddles come back in vogue ...

pattnic
Feb. 23, 2011, 11:48 AM
Something else to remember is that back when "Nice" was a brand, saddles in general were less expensive than they are now.