PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Recommendations for a Young Dressage Prospect?

Halfling
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:28 AM
Getting ready to start my young horse (4 years old) up again this spring. Horse was started under saddle last spring and has had the fall and winter off. I never did get a saddle to fit her right. She has one shoulder larger than the other, a flat, short back (saddle bearing area) and not much wither. Plus, she is wide. I don't necessarily have to have a dressage saddle. Ideally, I'd like a jumping/all purpose and a dressage. This horse has amazing movement and I don't want to ruin it by an ill fitting saddle. Open to suggestions. I do not want a Wintec.

Dressagelvr
Feb. 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280375753214

Equibrit
Feb. 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
Adjustable http://www.laserequestrian.com/

TaliaCristianna
Feb. 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
I suggest a Duett Rondo A/P. New they are around $900 I believe. Used you can probably pick up one for around $300-$400. They are made for wide-backed horses and the panels can be adjusted by a saddle fitter.

For the money the quality can't be beat. I owned a Rondo and now I own a Fidelio. The Fidelio is one of the nicest saddles I've ever owned.

I have also heard great things about the Thorowgood saddles. I have friends that own them and LOVE them but I have never tried one personally.

Spyder
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
I had a Rondo once. Fit the horses great! For me, I instantly hated it.

I second Laser saddles.

tempichange
Feb. 19, 2011, 08:41 AM
County saddles.

jcotton
Feb. 19, 2011, 09:02 AM
You could try a treeless. The newest Ansur looks like a traditional saddle.

Bugs-n-Frodo
Feb. 19, 2011, 11:27 AM
County saddles.

:yes:

Hampton Bay
Feb. 19, 2011, 01:31 PM
What's your price range?

A friend of mine has a short-backed Arab that goes wonderfully in a Schleese Wave. She found hers used, but almost new, for under $2k. They are very adjustable too.

akrogirl
Feb. 19, 2011, 01:42 PM
Getting ready to start my young horse (4 years old) up again this spring. Horse was started under saddle last spring and has had the fall and winter off. I never did get a saddle to fit her right. She has one shoulder larger than the other, a flat, short back (saddle bearing area) and not much wither. Plus, she is wide. I don't necessarily have to have a dressage saddle. Ideally, I'd like a jumping/all purpose and a dressage. This horse has amazing movement and I don't want to ruin it by an ill fitting saddle. Open to suggestions. I do not want a Wintec.

I have a mare with similar fit issues. After trying everything I could get my hands on, with no success, I finally committed to a custom Schleese Wave with the most extreme cutback they could give me. Unfortunately, health issues have prevented me from doing much so far but, touch wood, Schleese appear to have nailed it and my mare is moving even better than before, which is pretty amazing. Yes, the saddle was expensive but, in her case, it appears to have been worth every cent.

Halfling
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:14 AM
I guess a County or laser could be an option. I had a Schleese Wave and it is way too much saddle for me. I'm a minimalist. I have a Roosli for my other horse but it is not wide enough for the youngster. I also don't want to spend a fortune for a saddle that may not fit in a year or so. Plus, I am tall with a long thigh so need a saddle to accomodate my length of leg too.

tempichange
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:55 AM
Sounds like a County Fusion or Perfection.

I remember sitting in those and thinking it was built for people who had ultra long legs. I'm a short(er) rider on a wide horse that changes constantly.

The nice part about County is that they offer a tree change policy see article:

A common comment we receive when fitting a young horse for a saddle is that the owner would like to fit the greenie bopper a little wide to give him or her room to grow into it. Certainly we know the horse's topline will change as his training progresses and his body matures. From there, it's quite logical to conclude that he should be fitted in a tree width that allows for those muscles to develop and "bulk up."

However...

Have you ever tried running in shoes which are a size too large? Do they allow you to use your body effectively, or do you compensate for the ill-fit by altering your stride to avoid as much discomfort as possible? By using equipment that does not fit human or equine athletes optimally, those athletes cannot perform to the top of their abilities. Consequently, in trying to predict an unknown future shape of our young or new horse, if we fit him in a saddle that does not match his current topline, then we've impeded the very development of muscling and movement we so desire.

One way County saddles accommodates this situation is by offering a tree change policy as a safety net in case these horses change shape so radically in the first year that they require a different tree size. Typically however, regular adjustments to the wool panels will keep up with each horse's changing topline, as the optimally fitting saddle is one more necessary step, in addition to the rest of the team of professionals required, to allow the horse and rider to reach their potential. Author: Sara Ivie (Kentucky/IN/IL County Fitter)