PDA

View Full Version : Calvin's win in Dubai

Lori T
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:48 PM
Just heard from his mother-in-law that he won the race in Dubai! Congratulations, Calvin!

Flashy Gray VA
Feb. 17, 2011, 11:20 PM
Where's the LIKE button? :D

And how's his jaw healing up?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:05 AM
Calvin Borel, the only American in a field of 12 top-notch international riders, leads the Meydan Masters jockey challenge after the first two legs of the four-race series.

RacingPost 2-17-11 "First strike for US star Borel in Meydan Masters" (http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/psychic-ability-dubai-festival-green-beret-report-us-ace-borel-lands-first-leg-of-meydan-masters/820098/dubaicarnival/)

US ace Borel, who has ridden three of the last four Kentucky Derby winners, claimed the first of the three-race series as 8-1 shot Haatheq took a 1m handicap on the Tapeta all-weather surface.

The four-year-old provided the middle leg of a treble for reigning UAE champion trainer Ali Rashid Al Raihe, also successful with Derbaas in the Al Fahidi Fort, and Green Beret in the 6f all-weather handicap.

Borel is the sole American representative among the 12 international jockeys contesting the second edition of the Masters.

After striking with Haatheq, Borel picked up a late-closing fourth place behind Moore's mount Emirates Champion to go into Friday's single deciding leg on 85 points to Moore's 76, with Frankie Dettori third on 23.

Although an intended fourth leg had to be scrapped for lack of a full field of 12, a differential of 75 points to 20 between first and second will ensure interest among the dozen riders to the end.

Known as 'Bo-Rail' at home for his fondness for scraping the paint, the jockey defied the popular conception that he never leaves the rail as he brought Haatheq three wide to score by a length from last year's Masters winner Richard Hills and Kavango.

The three-time Kentucky Derby-winning jockey settled his mount towards the rear of the field in the 1m Tapeta handicap before gradually working his way into the race.

Borel, riding at Meydan for the first time, is used to Polytrack but not the Meydan choice of Tapeta.

He explained: "It's my view that you have to keep a horse's momentum going on this type of surface. If they are stopped, it's hard to get back.

"I knew my horse was right, fit and ready to go, so I didn't want to disappoint him.

"I might have got further back than I should, because he was shortening up in distance, but I thought if I could sit with him long enough, he'd have the bigger punch."

You can watch the races live and for free on DRF.com this morning - link below - as well as on TVG.

http://www.drf.com/news/2011-dubai-international-racing-carnival

Today (Friday night local time in Dubai) Calvin Borel will ride in legs 3 and 4 of the Meydan Masters jockey competition.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
If you're watching now on the DRF feed it's about 10 min to post:

Calvin is on the #4 horse, Telluride (at about 3-1) in this a 1 9/16-mile turf handicap.

AppJumpr08
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:56 AM
Calvin and Telluride finished 5th.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 11:32 AM
I'm sure Calvin wouldn't want to hear the criticism but he seemed to be too wide for most of the trip ;) Almost a 2-mi race will punish any runner who is 3rd off the rail up the backstretch and will leave little in the tank in the stretch.

The race was not for points in the jockey challenge so he still sits on top in that.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 12:20 PM
Despite finishing 2nd to last (I believe that was the placing) on his last mount with Atlantis Star [they went off at 7/2] - he's won Meydan Masters jockey challenge.

Kudos to him!

He said he's flying back soon so he can ride Monday in the Southwest Stakes a colt for Tim Ritchey - Elite Alex - that he "thinks could be something special".

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 12:26 PM
Per Calvin in the post race he was saying that his girth slipped in the last race and almost had to pull up.

Xctrygirl
Feb. 18, 2011, 02:27 PM
Oh take warning...

Calvin told me after the Wood last year about Super Saver. He liked him a TON then and was subtly high on him.

If Calvin says the word "Special" hang on.

And having had a ton of up close experience with Afeet Alex ;-) I'd say if he has a nice son with half his heart, we're all in trouble.

Just looked him up, out of an Unbridled mare..... oh yeah.... watch for this guy!!!

~Em

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 03:19 PM
Emily I'd agree with the Calvin remark too.

Elite Alex is 2 1-1-0 with his last race being a good indicator:

Oaklawn 1-15-11 Allowance Optional Claiming (NWX 1) 1-mile (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=OP&dt=01/15/2011&ctry=USA&race=7) - finished 2nd beaten just by a head, per the chart:

Elite Alex crossed his feet at the start, broke in a tangle to spot the field several lengths, remained back and off the inside, ranged up with a five wide move to challenge turning for home, outfinished in the late going.

I didn't see the effort but if a horse can come back from a terrible start and well behind the field to lose just by a head that shows he's pretty game.

It will be a huge step up in class to take on the field assembled for the Grade 3 $250k Southwest Stakes on Monday the 21st. J P's Gusto will be in there and the DRF pegs him at #12 on the current Derby contenders list.

Xctrygirl
Feb. 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
Agree.... worth noting he sustained a puncture after that nasty start and still ran on hard.

Saw his Maiden win on Calracing. Nice pony.

Hey but for what it's worth..... Scrappy is and almost always was a gelding...soooooo none of his get would be swinging out wide and crashing into this colt!!! :-D

~Emily