PDA

View Full Version : Yikes - Shipping News @ Tampa today - infield lake incident

Flashy Gray VA
Feb. 17, 2011, 05:49 PM
Wowsers. :eek: Pulled up, overheats, smashes through fences three (3) times, and goes and jumps into the infield lake. Gate crew apparently swims in after him sans pants:

http://www.drf.com/news/overheated-horse-cools-tampa-infield-lake

laserRob
Feb. 17, 2011, 07:32 PM
Turf 'n Surf.

Cammie
Feb. 17, 2011, 08:17 PM
At least he had the sense to head for the water to cool off some more. :lol: Guess he thought the crew didn't hose him long enough.

Acertainsmile
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
A video would be most excellent! Glad he seems to be okay! Years ago I remember hearing about a horse that ended up in the pond at AC I think.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2011, 09:55 AM
I doubt that HRTV broadcasted the incident as both it and TVG tend to shy away from airing any live video of a horse struggling in any capacity. If I'm not mistaken this was the horse's 8th lifetime start so not exactly new to the rodeo ;) He is however still a maiden and me thinks this racing thing might not be his deal.

leilatigress
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
With the affinity for water he'd make an interesting eventer. Approach the jump and he decides to beeline for the water instead of jumping over it. :) Is his birthday in April by chance?

AppJumpr08
Feb. 18, 2011, 11:44 AM
With the affinity for water he'd make an interesting eventer. Approach the jump and he decides to beeline for the water instead of jumping over it. :) Is his birthday in April by chance?

:lol:

Actually his pedigree would make me think that he'd have gone OVER the rails instead of crashing through them :lol:
But perhaps he may be worth a look as an eventing prospect - haven't see him, but he's got the breeding...and clearly the water jump wouldn't be a problem :lol:

danceronice
Feb. 18, 2011, 12:18 PM
Hey, I've had heat exhaustion--a convenient lake? Much more effective than the hose!

Did someone get the gate guys dry pants?

Flashy Gray VA
Feb. 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
Did someone get the gate guys dry pants?

Dancer, as the DRF so hilariously noted, "several members of the gate crew removed their trousers." So no issue with wet pants, rather it's about lacking pants.

Best part of the story, in addition to the incredible smarts displayed by Shipping News! What a good boy to go stand in the lake away from the crazy pants-less people.

jengersnap
Feb. 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
With this day and age of cameras and smart phones, you can't tell me there wasn't a pony person somewhere with a flip phone capturing some of this. Sheesh. I can understand when Puss n Boots did it up here in the 60s at Fort Erie that video was unlikely, but they still managed to get a photo! (http://goo.gl/crYle) Cough up the footage, someone! LOL

Blinkers On
Feb. 18, 2011, 01:43 PM
Agreed, Jengersnap. SOMEONE has video of the happenings. It would be good entertainment to watch the gate crew strip down and wade into the infield lake. and IF the infield lake there is anything like every other infield lake I have seen, that would be one nasty, cesspool to be wading into! They deserve some serious props!

Justa Bob
Feb. 18, 2011, 01:54 PM
Well, even the Shipping News team is asking for any photos on Shipping News' very own Facebook page! The best anyone has come up with is a cartoon that is now the SN profile picture...of a horse in the lake requesting a cold beer, just like Zennie gets.

Maybe help is on its way?

Third Glance
Feb. 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
Dancer, as the DRF so hilariously noted, "several members of the gate crew removed their trousers." So no issue with wet pants, rather it's about lacking pants.

There's a rather detailed description of SN's misadventure in the chart footnotes, but the charter did spare the crew and omitted this little bit of info. :-)

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/TAM021711USA7.pdf

jengersnap
Feb. 18, 2011, 02:10 PM
What's a "haltered"? LOL Do gate crew keep them in their boxers? Did anyone notice if gate crew prefer boxers or briefs? Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

cloudyandcallie
Feb. 18, 2011, 02:13 PM
Brightskyfarm set me the video yesterday. Great work by the gate crew guys.:lol: Icing on the cake. It was hot here in SE GA yesterday and probably in th 80s down in Tampa.

jengersnap
Feb. 18, 2011, 02:17 PM
Cough it up! Cought it up! :D

Flashy Gray VA
Feb. 18, 2011, 02:31 PM
Did anyone notice if gate crew prefer boxers or briefs?

Bwwwahahahahahahahahaha! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cloudy, you have crossed the line into "cruel and unusual punishment" by withholding that video! Cough it up indeed!!!

Because while my first and foremost sense of relief is that the horse is OK ;) my second priority is getting the image of the gatecrew running across the infield in their GPAs, protective vests, and tighty whities out of my mind! :cool:

mgrayce
Feb. 18, 2011, 05:52 PM
I think the crew were wearing briefs. I was at the race..

Good news is (no pun intended). The Jockey pulled him back when he saw that News was overheating and pulled him up. He dinged a rail on the back stretch while running. As soon as that happened...the Jock stopped him...

News had a hard time loading at the gate and in the paddock. Didn't like my sunhat and eyeballed me pretty good up close.

Antway, the vet team was RIGHT THERE and everyone is ok. News is fine and all of us had a happy ending!

Ironically I didn't see anyone videoing. :)

danceronice
Feb. 18, 2011, 08:33 PM
That was "pants" in the UK sense of the term...not any fun putting your trousers back on over wet boxers!

We want video!

laserRob
Feb. 19, 2011, 05:51 AM
I read elsewhere, but cannot verify:

1) There are/were gators in that lake.:eek:

2) At least one horse has drowned at TBD.

Third Glance
Feb. 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
Shipping News is doing well. Cuts and bruises, and on antibiotics because of the lake "scum," but otherwise "alert and happy" (and, I'd venture, probably quite pleased with himself).

I'm guessing that one "lesson learned" from this mishap is that when using steroids and Diazepam to revive a horse, MAKE SURE HIS HALTER IS STILL ON. ;-)

http://www.drf.com/news/tampa-bay-downs-horse-ok-day-after-swimming-lake

spookhorse
Feb. 19, 2011, 09:54 PM
There is probably at least one gator in that lake, saw it/them several times years ago when I worked for a trainer at TBD. Wouldn't doubt at all that there are more than one gator hanging about :eek:

danceronice
Feb. 19, 2011, 10:00 PM
It's Florida. If the parking-lot puddles are deep enough, there are gators.

spookhorse
Feb. 19, 2011, 10:25 PM
It's Florida. If the parking-lot puddles are deep enough, there are gators.

Ain't that the truth LOL I grew up down there ;)

fleur de duc
Feb. 20, 2011, 02:09 AM
Brightskyfarm set me the video yesterday. Great work by the gate crew guys.:lol: Icing on the cake. It was hot here in SE GA yesterday and probably in th 80s down in Tampa.

you have the video and you did not post?!? Cruel!

At least forward it along to me! I can help with posting!