PDA

View Full Version : My helmet is BSEN certified..can I show in it?

Linda
Feb. 17, 2011, 05:08 PM
My helmet is british BSEN 1384 certified. When I research the equivalency of the BSEN 1384 rating to the ASTM rating on line, they say it is equivalent. So can I show in this helmet? Or does it have to have the ASTM on it?

BTW, Im having trouble locating the actual rule. Can someone point me in the right direction?
thx

Linda
Feb. 17, 2011, 05:25 PM
I think I can answer my own question. The rule in the USEF rulebook says that the rider must wear a helmet that meets or exceeds the ASTM standards. My helmet meets the same ASTM standards so it should be fine. But I think I will consult with the show manager in advance so there are no surprises on show day.

Janet
Feb. 17, 2011, 05:33 PM
GR 801 says

which meets or exceeds ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)/SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag.

The new dressage rule (DR 120.5) says

Protective headgear is defined as a riding helmet which meets or exceeds ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials)/ SEI (Safety Equipment Institute) standards for equestrian use and carries the SEI tag.

If it does not have the SEI tag it doesn't count.

Linda
Feb. 17, 2011, 06:10 PM
Yes I believe it has the SEI sticker in it but will check next time Im down at the barn

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 17, 2011, 11:14 PM
It is the rider's responsibility to have one that is certified. If you show with something that is OBVIOUSLY not remotely going to be certified they will prob intervene.

USEF rule GR801, section 7:
It is the responsibility of the rider, or the parent or guardian or trainer of
the junior exhibitor to see to it that the headgear worn complies with appropriate safety standards for protective headgear intended for equestrian use, and is properly fitted and in good condition, and the Federation, Show Committee, and Licensed Officials are not responsible for checking headgear worn for such compliance.
8. The Federation makes no representation or warranty, express or implied, about any protective headgear, and cautions riders that death or serious injury may result despite wearing such headgear as all equestrian sports involve inherent dangerous risk and as no helmet can protect against all foreseeable injuries.

Jim Knopf
Feb. 17, 2011, 11:21 PM
I talked to the USEF about this. If it does not have the SEI tag in it, it is illegal.

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 17, 2011, 11:37 PM
I talked to the USEF about this. If it does not have the SEI tag in it, it is illegal.

True. BUT it is not the responsibility of the show to check that. And let's hope it doesn't come to that.

KatherineC
Feb. 21, 2011, 08:56 AM
I wonder if the show management will start doing helmet checks (like the bit and whip checks) to ensure folks are wearing legal helmets.

Velvet
Feb. 21, 2011, 09:51 AM
I wonder if the show management will start doing helmet checks (like the bit and whip checks) to ensure folks are wearing legal helmets.

EXACTLY. I'm sure they are not going to go this far...at least not to start. This is a PR move by the USEF, not really a rule where anyone is going to get all bent and worked up over checking for approvals on the helmets. Seriously, how many riders do you think are going to be objecting if their coiffure is messed up by removing the helmet? A LOT of DQs will be PO'd.

pattnic
Feb. 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
I *think* for a while over in HJ land, people were wearing the GPA before it was approved (carried the SEI tag) with no problem.

In all honesty, though technically against the rules, I think that unless you are wearing something obviously non-approved, no one is going to question or check.

This does not mean that I condone doing so.