PDA

View Full Version : More Sitting Trot Woes

xrmn002
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
Curious to hear some of your experiences with sitting trot. I can sit the trot well most times but lately am riding some bigger movers and am strugglling. I don't know if it's technique, core strength, etc. I can do some on the big movers but only for a short period of time and/or not really asking them to move out or I lose it. Had anyone else had this issue? What did you do about it?

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:42 PM
Here's my lessons learned
1. If you were taught to follow in seated trot incorrectly, it will rear it's ugly head when you are on a significant mover
2. Not all big movers are correct movers, so if it's just one big mover that's got your goat, he may not be moving straight and correct.
3. If you aren't exercising your core outside of riding... here's your sign :cool:

Reddfox
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:46 PM
I'm experiencing this now! I had mastered the sitting trot on the schoolmasters that I was riding, but when I was put on my instructor's very large moving and very bouncy stallion, I couldn't even attempt to sit - it was a shock to me because I was getting fairly confident in my sitting abilities.

What helped was going back to the horse that I WAS able to sit and to make some position tweaks. What I worked on was NO GRIPPING in my thighs - I need to stay on with perfect balance and core strength. This allowed my body to absorb the shock better. I also worked on keeping my shoulders open and back. I have a tendency to get just a teensy bit fork seated...and this is enough to prevent me from sitting a larger moving horse.

The third thing was making absolutely sure that the "fall" phase in the sitting trot is very vertical...no leading with the hips and getting all soft in the waist. When I sit in this way - it's like riding on the crest of a wave and you can sit into the horse. When the plumb line is dropped through your body and you just "fall" into the horse, even the bounciest horses become relatively easy to sit.

The proof for me was that in my second lesson ever on the horse that I couldn't sit to a month before, I was able to sit the entire lesson - including extensions, laterals and even my first passage!!!

So, check core strength and check that you're not trying to use the strength of your thighs to hold and check that you are absolutely plumb...Good luck!