PDA

View Full Version : Saddle fitting nightmare - vent

arabiansrock
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:16 PM
Just need some sympathy:(

Have been saddle hunting for a year. Purchased a saddle in April, finally received it in June. Told saddle fitter I didn't think it was right, told her panel too long for horse, she assured me it was "perfect". Ok what do I know. Fast forward 4 months. Mare now hates the saddle and has turned into a bucking bronc. Send saddle fit photo to another saddle fitter who promptly says "they sold you the wrong tree shape". She sent me a trial saddle that seemed to work ok, has shorter upswept panel that mare seemed to like.

So based on what she saw, she ordered me that saddle with 16 in flaps cause I am only 5.1, upswept panels but with a small gusset becausethey neededto be deeper, bigger blocks, and wither gussets, and serge panels.

WEll saddle came today. flaps are 18.5 in long, no upswept panels, blocks aren't any bigger, and he put the billet straps in the middle and rear locations instead of using the point strap (my mare has a very forward girth spot). Only thing they got right was serge panels and wither gussets. Called saddle fitter, she saidshe would call saddle maker first thing in am and get him started on remaking it. So it will be another two months. Again.

To add insult to injury, I am spending all the money my hubby gave me for a saddle on this saddle, and it is going to end up being my sons because that mare wont' go worth c*(P for me. She has chosen my son as her rider. (shes an arab) So we just bought me a new horse this weekend, and I am stuck riding in the 500 dollar thorowgood while my son will get "my" 2600 custom saddle. :cry: I hope he likes it.:sadsmile:

Anyway, thanks for listening.
arabsrock, and so do OTTB's

atr
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:34 PM
All I can do is offer sympathy, and thank my lucky stars once more that I was blessed with great simplicity and an awesome fitter in my saddle search.

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:48 PM
Does your son ride? If not it's time to put on the sassy panties, get pissed, and demand a refund with no remake.

AlterBy
Feb. 17, 2011, 12:26 AM
You are quite lucky to have found a custom saddle for only 2600$!

On the other hand, having had myself such problems with saddle BTDT,
I will suggest you ask for a full refund asap before they start making another one. I did. and succeeded!

arabiansrock
Feb. 17, 2011, 12:42 AM
Yes my son does ride, and rather well if a mother can brag, so I don't mind (too much:winkgrin:) that it will end up being his saddle.

I would be very tempted to ask for a full refund but for 3 things:
1 - saddle fitter has been letting us use her "trial" saddle for 3 months now, no charge while we wait for ours to be made (she didn't want us putting old saddle back on mare cause it really bothered her) to me this shows a real caring for her customers.

2 I paid for this saddle in half cash, and half my old (new) saddle as a trade in. so if I demand to end sale she will send me back the trade in saddle that I will have a hard time selling in this market cause no one has heard of it (Fairfax) so I will be short on cash for new saddle purchase.

and
3 mare is VERY hard to fit, arab short back, wide barrel with a very flat back, hollows behind withers, long sloping shoulders, and a very forward set girth spot.

I have sent her a bunch of photos so I will see what she says in am, but this whole process is very painful. Wish mare had a normal length back so I could just have bought a Passier. Oh well.
thanks for listening:yes:

arabiansrock
Feb. 17, 2011, 12:44 AM
Oh, and I guess I shouldn't call it a "custom" saddle. I think "bench made" is the proper term,. They take their standard tree but I can specify flap length, panel type, wither gussets, serge panels, block size etc. So its almost as good as custom.

AnotherRound
Feb. 17, 2011, 08:46 AM
Think quick though, if your son is going to be riding in the new saddle, he may well need longer flaps than 16inches. That's a short flapped saddle, and his knees may stick out over the front of the saddle. Also, what size is the seat, or is it a 16? Men tend to have long femurs, longer than women. Also, the shape of their pelvis is very different (I forget how - turned forward?) and the twist and shape of the seat may be entirely wrong for him.

If it ends up being his, that 18.5 might have been the right saddle for him.

However, if the mare objects to long flaps, perhaps not. However, don't be so sure that saddle is going to fit your son! Just being a male can make a big difference in what kind of saddle he can ride in.

Good luck. I know its frustrating.

And yes, I would have sent it back, even with all the caveats you mentioned. I know the girl at my barn who has saddles made for her horses waited and waited and finally got her saddle a month ago, which didn't fit her, tipped her forward, and didn't fit the horse, her saddle maker, though he lives and works here in the states, was traveling in Germany at the time, so after she cancelled the credit card payment she sent the saddle back to him in Germany. And no, she doesn't want him to make her another. He had umpteen fittings and opportunities to make this one correctly, so she's moving on. Two months later she still doesn't have a good saddle for the new horse, but she has one which fits the horse ok (not her) and she doesn't dick around with incompetent workmanship on such an expensive investment.

For her, she's been doing this sort of thing since she was 11, and she can see what's coming down the pike with her experience, and knows how to make a decision which is correct and protects her and her horses and doesn't need to take the time to keep trying with an equipment provider who has already been, as your experience has been, frustrating to deal with, and to continue that would only promise more agida, time and money wasted.

Cut your losses, move on.

Personally, I would protect what I worked so hard for and get my cash back and regroup for the saddle I want for me.

Good luck.

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
I get the impression your saddle fitter has never met your horse in person?
I know several people have done that with success, but that is just a recipe for disaster!
I'm meeting my saddle fitter in an hour... at the barn, with my horse. She brings her song and dance to me. She runs HER hands over my horse, takes tracings to monitor topline progress, assesses the fit of the saddle, makes flocking adjustments at her station, and watches me ride until both me and the horse are happy. It takes about 2 hours per saddle, and costs me about $100.
She is able to learn so much more about my horse by being there, I just don't see how saddlers can take your money without meeting your horse... i just don't :no:

SillyHorse
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:22 AM
I know several people have done that with success, but that is just a recipe for disaster!
I'm meeting my saddle fitter in an hour... at the barn, with my horse. She brings her song and dance to me. She runs HER hands over my horse, takes tracings to monitor topline progress, assesses the fit of the saddle, makes flocking adjustments at her station, and watches me ride until both me and the horse are happy. It takes about 2 hours per saddle, and costs me about $100.
She is able to learn so much more about my horse by being there, I just don't see how saddlers can take your money without meeting your horse... i just don't :no:
This is how my Trilogy saddle fitter works, too. Perfect fit on a previously "unfittable" horse.

arabiansrock
Feb. 17, 2011, 10:17 AM
the sadle actually fits my son better than me,it is an 18 in seat. I am a bit "fluffy" saddlefitter says I need a bigger seat, I said no, I will shrink.

You are right I am in NorCal, saddle fiter is in east coast. there is nobody near me that I feel good about, who has a good reputation. they all are single brands, eg county, trilogy, and I can't afford those brands! Otherwise I never would have gonethis long distance route.

Been awake all night thinking about this, part of me does wantto cancel, but since my son actually likes the saddle, thast makes it harder.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 17, 2011, 12:41 PM
PM-ing you

bluemooncowgirl
Feb. 17, 2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry to hear about the grief with the saddle not fitting.

However, I'm beyond jealous that::mad:

1 - your son rides
2 - your son rides dressage

Seriously, though... good for you!:winkgrin: I'd love it if my son wanted to ride! I'm lucky if I can get my son to go to the barn with me to help me clean stalls and fill water buckets!

I hope there will be a saddle resolution for you very soon.

enjoytheride
Feb. 17, 2011, 01:05 PM
So basically you're paying $2,600 for a saddle that meets ZERO of your specifications? And this is the second saddle they've sent you that meets zero of your specifications? I wouldn't call that getting a custom saddle for cheap, I'd call that getting screwed.

Your son riding is great, but that has nothing to do with you spending a huge chunk of money on a useless saddle. If you want your son to ride in it and its the only saddle that works for him then keep it. If not, get your money back any way possible and go someplace else with your money.

arabiansrock
Feb. 17, 2011, 01:18 PM
Enjoy
No, I probably wasn't clear because I was so stressed. My first saddle came from a different saddle fitter who assured me it was perfect. Baloney.

New saddle fitter sent me a saddle to "try" and then based on that determined how and what specs she wanted to order for me. So this saddle is their "first" cut so to speak. After reviewing pics, I think they did get hte flaps right, and my son likes the blocks the way they are, he didn't want them the way I wanted them anyway. So really the major problem is that he didn't upsweep the back of the panels to accomodate her short back. Problem is she needs a deeper panel (eg gusset) but also needs upsweep and he may have thought that this would work, but I don't like it!!! I probably freaked out too much last night but...

BlueMoon
Yes I do realize just how lucky I am, he also vaulted for about 8 years. And to make things better, his girlfriend rides, so as long as they are together he isn't likely to lose interest (he is 20 coming close to 21).

Thanks for listening everybody:eek:

mp
Feb. 17, 2011, 01:32 PM

My saddle fits my horse and the saddlemaker never laid eyes (or hands) on him. He did, however, send me a kit to make a mold of my horse's back. He also had copious photos of my round, flat-backed beast, so he knew exactly what the challenges were.

I'll agree that having a saddle-fitter come to you is ideal, but if that's not possible, you can make it work with a knowledgeable saddlemaker.

arabiansrock, I feel your pain. My horse has all the fitting issues yours has, minus the hollows behind the withers. I trialed somewhere around 25 saddles for my horse with absolutely no luck. When I found one that was close (but still not workable), I called the guy who made it and had him make one for me. Best $$$$ I ever spent.

Good luck.

arabiansrock
Feb. 17, 2011, 01:35 PM
MP what brand did you end up with? My mares hollows really aren't very big at all, but fitter seems to think they need to be addressed.