PDA

View Full Version : Help! Hair and Top Hat?

*Trinity*
Feb. 16, 2011, 08:44 PM
I chopped my long hair off and am not sure what to do with it when I wear my top hat this season. It's layered, with the shortest layers at my chin and the longest at my shoulders. It is slightly longer at the front, so it will reach a ponytail if it's not too high and not too low. However, the 'ponytail' is more of a nubbin. I can't tuck the ends anywhere or even keep them in the elastic for a lazy girl's bun. What on earth do I do with my hair in a top hat?! My best idea is to french braid my hair and tuck the end/elastic under the braid, so it doesn't show. (Like this: http://thejunglebook.pbworks.com/f/1287014591/french-braid.jpg ) Is this acceptable? Any other suggestions welcome!

mjhco
Feb. 16, 2011, 09:19 PM
That can work

Also, Paul Mitchell Freeze and Shine hair spray, pins, hair nets, back combing, etc can make it work.

That Paul Mitchell stuff could stop a bird in flight.

I use two hair nets.

Mary in Area 1
Feb. 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
Don't worry about your hair, worry about your brain.

Put it in a hair net and then in a helmet.

Live to tell your kids about your riding.

jcotton
Feb. 17, 2011, 08:41 AM
Are you sure you are going to be showing in a tophat?
Read the rules. You may be showing in a helmet!

Hathead is hathead.

yaya
Feb. 17, 2011, 08:48 AM
Trinity is in Canada.

AnotherRound
Feb. 17, 2011, 08:55 AM
I understand that haircut. Personally, and this is how I would do it whether with a helmet or a tophat, I would get hairnets, starting with the larger, string kind, and probably once the loose hair was in a net, I would then gather it at the nape of my neck with a black ribbon (discrete, no ends showing), so as to take the shape back to the nape.

If the string net proved to be too much hairnet, I would then try the same with the light hair net. But the key is to put the hairnet on your loose hair, gather it behind your ears neatly, THEN in the net gather it all at the nape of your neck. this can accomodate hair shorter than what you described. If your hair truly is as you descirbed, this will work.

Good luck.

wildlifer
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:14 AM
Wear a helmet, then it's a nonissue. ;-)

Carol O
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:13 PM
Don't worry about your hair, worry about your brain.

Put it in a hair net and then in a helmet.

Live to tell your kids about your riding.

Ditto.

katie+tru
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Didn't someone already say the OP was in Canada? As in, not under USDF rule. Since when did the dressage community decide it was okay to get snippy about telling strangers to wear helmets when all they're really asking about is a darn hairstyle? It's like forcing your religious or political beliefs down someone's throat. Geez.

mand_asbfan
Feb. 17, 2011, 10:23 PM
I ride saddleseat and show with a derby and have hair about the same length as yours. I bought one of those clip in fake hair things (banana clip with "fake" ponytail). I clip it over the nub of real hair and style into a bun. The nice thing about the fake hair is once you put it in a bun shape and hairspray it will keep its form (just make sure to wash like real hair once in awhile ;)).

Wordplay1832
Feb. 17, 2011, 10:29 PM
I feel like people still have to worry about getting their hair neat under a helmet too (though it is a little easier I assume-I haven't gotten to wear a top hat yet, I'm an eventer and haven't done an FEI event yet). So everyone saying that she should wear her helmet maybe it's not even super relevant and she could use advice even if it was for a helmet :)

I would second the hair nets. Put in the ponytail as best you can, use one hair net over everything to tuck all the loose ends in and go over the ponytail (loop it around it again if you can to make it doubled over the pony). Then if the ponytail isn't shaped like you want maybe use another one over it to get it to be more bun shaped. Then hair spray and bobby pin the crap out of it :)
But i think the french braid could work-but that could drastically change the fit of your top hat if you have even semi-thick hair because of the ridge along your head. I know that my helmet doesn't fit quite the same with it, and since top hats have to be tight just make sure that it would still fit with your french braid!

*Trinity*
Feb. 18, 2011, 09:10 PM
I live in Canada and am also an eventer, so yes, I will be wearing a top hat.

AnotherRound, can you explain again? I'm not understanding. The end result is a pony tail with a ribbon around it?

My top hat is actually a little loose on me - I have a child sized head and it was the smallest I could find! It's not about to fall off or anything, but it still fits fine with a French braid. I've played with my hair several times, trying to get it right, and the style is so difficult with a topper! I LOVE it for everyday and it's great between rides at the barn/hot days, but I'm lost with a top hat. I had hair halfway down my back before and curly - humidity got it into a tangled mess and it was a nighmare to deal with at the barn. Short hair is definitely the way to go!

n2dressage
Feb. 20, 2011, 12:17 PM
When I had short hair that wouldn't do a pony tail I would bobby pin it up when I wanted to "pull my hair back". I think this would work too for a top hat- take smallish sections and twist them away from your face, up from your neck, etc and secure each section with 2 bobby pins in an X form. Then you could top it with a hair net. Then maybe your top hat will fit a little snugger because all of your hair is against your head?

Equibrit
Feb. 20, 2011, 02:51 PM
Check out some of these thingies; http://www.blackhairspray.com/brands/annie-cap.html

What about a weaving cap ? (or similar)
or a spandex cap with all your hair in it; http://www.blackhairspray.com/brands/annie-cap/annie-spandex-cap-black-annie4450.html

It would probably help keep your titfer on too.

asuits
Feb. 21, 2011, 04:59 PM
Get one of those hair net bun covers (like this) http://www.dressageextensions.com/ProductDetail.asp?KEY=6369 and then stuff it with knee high nylons. Unless you're right on top of the person doing it, you can't tell that's what's been done.

Valentina_32926
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Pull hair into ponytail, wrap thin band from hat around rubber band to hold it on, hairnet on top for a polished look.

*Trinity*
Feb. 24, 2011, 09:42 AM
Pull hair into ponytail, wrap thin band from hat around rubber band to hold it on, hairnet on top for a polished look.

Is THAT what the elastic on the hat is from? I was about to cut it off, thinking it was a chin strap. I just about peed myself laughing when I first noticed it!