PDA

View Full Version : horse shopping blues...

sabriel
Feb. 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
I've been seriously looking at horses since the end of December now. I guess that isn't a lot of time in the long run but it is a bit frustrating. Two horses (out of about 8) were ones I liked a lot after trying them. One ended up injuring herself three days later before I could get her vetted and is no longer rideable. The second one didn't pass the prepurchase exam and it wasn't something I could overlook because it prevented future jumping. Well... you could still jump him but it most likely wasn't a good idea and I didn't think that was fair for the horse.

So, I'm pouting. Especially after the first mare ended up putting her foot through a fence. I really fell hard for her. :(

Tell me it gets better and I just had some bad luck.

Coppers mom
Feb. 16, 2011, 03:25 PM
It'll get better, you've only been looking for a short time :)

2tempe
Feb. 16, 2011, 03:32 PM
Last winter I started out thinking it would be a fun process. I did PPEs on THREE before I found one which passed...It went from fun to frustrating, though in the end I found a very nice horse. It took about 4 months to make it all happen and I ended up going across the country.
Hang in there...

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 16, 2011, 03:44 PM
You didn't mention the extent of the mare's injury, but you may want to mention the the sellers that if she recovers to please let you know.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:18 PM
Oh, look up Perfect Pony's posts -- she went through months of that...

I on the other hand bought the first horse I tried and LOFF her :lol:

Good luck though! The right horse WILL come!

scubed
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:20 PM
When I bought my first (to be) upper level event horse, I looked for 4 months. Made calls and inquiries on about 150 and sat on 37, well he was the 38th and I fell in love and all was good. Don't settle just because you get tired of the shopping process.

Perfect Pony
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, my experience was and is always a nightmare. I am starting to think I would rather own a nice vacation home somewhere in Mendocino or maybe up near Lake Tahoe rather than own another horse.

LaurieB
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:36 PM
So, I'm pouting. Especially after the first mare ended up putting her foot through a fence. I really fell hard for her. :(

Just be glad she put her foot through a fence the week before you bought her and not the week after.

sabriel
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:53 PM
Just be glad she put her foot through a fence the week before you bought her and not the week after.

I do try to look at it like that but what if me making an extra effort to get her vetted sooner and home would have prevented it?

I am a firm believe in things happen for a reason. I am being picky and the 8 I have gone to see were chosen out of over 50 inquieries. I've exhausted the easy ads to locate for horses in Virginia, MD, WV, DE and PA. I don't have a huge budget so every two weeks (pay checks) I don't find a horse I am stashing away $$ either to go toward a purchase price or add to my rainy day/emergency fund.

Dressage_Julie
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:08 PM

My thoughts exactly!!!!

horsetales
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
There may be fresh horses hitting the market in the next month. Since not everyone has an indoor, many can't/don't list horses in the winter (or at least this cold, snowy winter). Also, people realize a chunk of the market is in FL, so waiting until they start heading back may be a better choice. I know my jumper/event mare won't be marketed until next month or so. Good luck, remember you have to kiss a lot of toads before you find your prince ;)

The Centaurian
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:19 PM
I don't find a horse I am stashing away $$ either to go toward a purchase price or add to my rainy day/emergency fund.

Just keep reminding yourself of the bright side... the longer you look, the more you will have to spend!

I think winter is a tough time to buy, unless you are looking in the south.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah, my experience was and is always a nightmare. I am starting to think I would rather own a nice vacation home somewhere in Mendocino or maybe up near Lake Tahoe rather than own another horse.

uh-oh, what's going on with your adorable pony?

Couture TB
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:27 PM
Lately I've had people agree to one price, say sold, I arrange my shipper then all of a sudden "Oh no I can't take that for him! I thought you meant X amount!" This is all in writing by the way. Others I arrange to go look at and then right before I go say "Oh my trainer says I need to ask x for him" Which has been up to $2,000 over the price he was 2hrs before.

Perfect Pony
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:38 PM
uh-oh, what's going on with your adorable pony?

Nothing. Just burnt out and thinking about other things that could have been done with the tens of thousands now gone due to horses! I am actually moving her next weekend closer to you. I almost moved to your barn for a while but it's just too far for me to drive 3 days a week. I need a real grown up vacation I think.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
Nothing. Just burnt out and thinking about other things that could have been done with the tens of thousands now gone due to horses! I am actually moving her next weekend closer to you. I almost moved to your barn for a while but it's just too far for me to drive 3 days a week. I need a real grown up vacation I think.

Oh, treat yourself then! Glad the pony is ok though! :D

WBLover
Feb. 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
I on the other hand bought the first horse I tried and LOFF her :lol:

I got lucky too, first horse I seriously tried out I bought! Looked at 2 others before him but I was pretty sure they weren't "it" before I tried them. Sure enough...My guy, on the other hand, I knew just from the video that he was the one! And I have never regretted my decision for a minute!

It will happen, a couple of months really isn't very long. And I should add that I did a lot of "window" shopping online for a few months before I sold my horse and was able to actually go try out horses. I wasn't going to waste anybody's time until I was truly ready to buy. So I really had narrowed it down before I made any buying trips.

ridealot
Feb. 20, 2011, 08:15 AM
All good things take time.............. be patient. I have to say it is when you least expect to find the "it" horse it will happen. All of mine I either stumbled upon or was not at all in the purchasing mind frame when I found them.

Melyni
Feb. 20, 2011, 11:11 AM
The perfect horse is just around the corner.

Ya gotta kiss a lotta frogs before you find the prince!

Come see mine, I'm in VA!
MW

adelmo95
Feb. 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
It took over a year of horse shopping to find one of the best horses I have ever owned, although frustrating at the time he was worth the wait!!!

erfarrell
Feb. 20, 2011, 04:05 PM
I looked at over 40 horses before I found one of mine. I vetted 3 horses that didn't make the cut. In the end though, I really found a fabulous horse. It's definitely worth the wait.

Keep your chin up!

rabicon
Feb. 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
I'm in the same boat :no: Been looking for a few months and looked at many. Most of them are not what I'm looking for and I was flat out lied to about the horse. :mad: I just don't understand why people want to waste their time and mine by lying to me but I guess they think its alllll gonna change when I see their gorgeous horse in person and I'll disregard that the horse is nuts or is a bucker or just crazy lol Nope it doesn't work for me.

I did find the perfect one right down the road from me. Had my vet and farrier going over there tomorrow and taking it to UGA next week and then they call me Friday (scheduled all this Thurs. ) and told me that wellllll the kid that was riding him cried and her parents asked what do they need to do, she told them first check in my hand gets him and they took her a check that next A>M . I told lady it would have been nice to have known that you told someone that, instead I was in the dark and told no one was looking at him. :cry: I even cried about that one. Fell hard for him.
I'm getting beat down and about over it, but the search has to go on I guess. Good luck with your search and I know how you feel.

SisterToSoreFoot
Feb. 20, 2011, 06:44 PM
I bought the first horse I really looked at. He's exceeded my wildest expectations, but I only ended up with him because I did the following. The bold is the advice I'd have for someone else who is looking.

1. Not filtering by breed or age, or just widening your filter. I was shopping online and widened my search. I was searching by my preferred breeds; this horse wasn't one of them. By not filtering by breed, I was able to view this guy's pic.

2. Search sites beyond your normal circuit. I found him on Equine Now, not a site I normally frequented. So, by widening my shopping sites, I was able to see his pic.

3. Viewing a so-so horse in person, if possible. He looked nice in the pic, but not great. So glad I saw him in person--he was way nicer in person.

4. Compromise. I decided I would not compromise on personality/brains, but I would elsewhere. I followed, very closely, the idea that the walk and canter are the key gaits. So I compromised on the trot. This was a wise compromise, since 5 months of growth/fitness have changed his trot from "ewww..." to "wow!"

5. At some point, you have to bite the bullet... Most horses don't come prepackaged and perfect. Working with the horse, getting to know him, forming the relationship--all these things make the experience. The horse becomes perfect for you through the relationship you have with him her...they don't come that way.

Kaelurus
Feb. 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm in sort of the opposite boat, but I feel your pain. I'm trying desperately to sell mine, and it is such a frustrating process. I have run the gamut of rude, inconsiderate, disrespectful, incapable, etc. You wouldn't believe the inquiry I got yesterday... I won't repost, in case that person should see it, but holy cow...

I don't understand why people misrepresent themselves or the horse - it only wastes everyones time. I have already turned a few people away before they even came to look at E, because I know he wasn't what they wanted. If someone tells me they're looking for a packer/husband/trail horse, well, this isn't it. We'll both be better if that person keeps looking ;)

Keep your chin up, and keep searching. The right one is out there. Or buy a plane ticket to Florida. There are lots of inexpensive ones down here right now! ;)

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 21, 2011, 10:56 AM
I find horse shopping is great FUN when you are helping someone else, and it SUCKS when you are shopping for yourself. It has been a while since I bought a horse, but the last one I found was after I'd given up, and just figured I'd wait for one of my babies to be old enough to ride (at that point, I had a yearling and two foals - needless to say, it was going to be a few years). And my dream horse literally fell in my lap - after a year of searching, I got a cold call from someone :eek: So, don't give up hope. And as Sister says - don't limit yourself too much. Also - let everyone you know in on your search - nothing like tapping into a network of horse people. Eventually something will turn up.

Spring is coming - it does seem like the horse market starts to stir in the Spring...

sabriel
Feb. 21, 2011, 11:09 AM
I bought the first horse I really looked at. He's exceeded my wildest expectations, but I only ended up with him because I did the following. The bold is the advice I'd have for someone else who is looking.

1. Not filtering by breed or age, or just widening your filter. I was shopping online and widened my search. I was searching by my preferred breeds; this horse wasn't one of them. By not filtering by breed, I was able to view this guy's pic.

2. Search sites beyond your normal circuit. I found him on Equine Now, not a site I normally frequented. So, by widening my shopping sites, I was able to see his pic.

3. Viewing a so-so horse in person, if possible. He looked nice in the pic, but not great. So glad I saw him in person--he was way nicer in person.

4. Compromise. I decided I would not compromise on personality/brains, but I would elsewhere. I followed, very closely, the idea that the walk and canter are the key gaits. So I compromised on the trot. This was a wise compromise, since 5 months of growth/fitness have changed his trot from "ewww..." to "wow!"

5. At some point, you have to bite the bullet... Most horses don't come prepackaged and perfect. Working with the horse, getting to know him, forming the relationship--all these things make the experience. The horse becomes perfect for you through the relationship you have with him her...they don't come that way.

This is pretty much what I've been doing. I know I will have to make compromises in my budget. There are two horses who are over 3 hours away and I *really* wish the owners would send me updated video instead of video that is one or two years old! But I see that as a red flag anyway so I am not too concerned - I just really liked them from the initial information.

mzm farm
Feb. 21, 2011, 11:11 AM
I see SO many nice horses, and have a few myself, that do not seem to be moving. Unfortunately, I am way better at buying then selling :)

If you are realistic about what you need and the appropriate budget for those qualities, you should have no problems.

Hang in there and keep searching, or call me ;):yes:

Valentina_32926
Mar. 1, 2011, 04:54 PM
This horse has possibilities:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/warmblood-free-lease-sale-pa-md-78222/

Would be worth leasing to see if she works.

akrogirl
Mar. 1, 2011, 07:07 PM
It took my friend one night of looking on-line to find a wonderful, older school master. He is confirmed at 3rd level and has schooled most of the 4th level movements. My friend has severe disabilities and this horse is a really sweet, easy going guy who is perfect for her. He had been tried by several other people but, fortunately for her, no one else had clicked with him.

Kaluna
Mar. 1, 2011, 11:57 PM
I've been seriously looking at horses since the end of December now. I guess that isn't a lot of time in the long run but it is a bit frustrating. Two horses (out of about 8) were ones I liked a lot after trying them. One ended up injuring herself three days later before I could get her vetted and is no longer rideable. The second one didn't pass the prepurchase exam and it wasn't something I could overlook because it prevented future jumping. Well... you could still jump him but it most likely wasn't a good idea and I didn't think that was fair for the horse.

Tell me it gets better and I just had some bad luck.

Here you are posting on the dressage forum. WHat kind of horse are you looking for? A jumper? Eventer? Dressage horse you can jump? There are zillions of them out there these days.

greenwoodeq
Mar. 2, 2011, 12:10 AM
It will definitely get better. The market is full of people trying to save a little extra money and dropping the prices of fabulous horses down to nearly nothing. Just keep looking! try dreamhorse I think that they usually have a good selection of horses on their site (depending on the area).
If you can't find anything here and you can afford to spend a little extra... Go to Germany or NZ. Even with the euro up on the dollar you can get a pretty good deal on a great horse. I spent less across seas (even after shipping) getting my gelding than I was going to spend on a horse over here and he's doing his first grand prix this year.

So in short... keep searching or book a flight

Marengo
Mar. 2, 2011, 12:39 AM
Agreed. NZ is full of awesome horses at amazing prices, however the catch is the distance. Its a long haul to come out here for a shopping trip. Then there's the transport costs, quarantine and longer time needed for the horse to adjust due to opposite seasons.

I think most of the NZ horse talent lies in Eventing though, not Dressage. Plus there are countless amounts of rugged, bomb proof horses that would make great school horse or ammie mounts.

SisterToSoreFoot
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:32 PM
This horse has possibilities:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/warmblood-free-lease-sale-pa-md-78222/

Would be worth leasing to see if she works.

Not sure about this one. Looks like a big retraining project, and the fact that the owner is thinking about dumping the mare at an auction if she doesn't sell in a timely manner is another red flag. The OP didn't state what she was looking for specifically, but I doubt its a tense, green-for-8-yrs-old mare lacking in a dressage foundation.

Valentina_32926
Mar. 2, 2011, 01:43 PM
Not sure about this one. Looks like a big retraining project, and the fact that the owner is thinking about dumping the mare at an auction if she doesn't sell in a timely manner is another red flag. The OP didn't state what she was looking for specifically, but I doubt its a tense, green-for-8-yrs-old mare lacking in a dressage foundation.

True - but I like her - I think with a good rider she'd have possibilities. (I have no idea of OP's capabilities or specific desires but mare could go to third level with work.) In fact if I lived up that way I'd buy her.

An owner is a teenager - overly dramatic I believe, probably getting pressured by parents to get rid of the horse.

ivy62
Mar. 2, 2011, 02:40 PM
I got very lucky with the horse I have now. He was the first horse I looked at! I did go try 2 others but he was it..love at first ride.....it does happen..what is the OP looking for?

Melyni
Mar. 2, 2011, 03:17 PM
True - but I like her - I think with a good rider she'd have possibilities. (I have no idea of OP's capabilities or specific desires but mare could go to third level with work.) In fact if I lived up that way I'd buy her.

An owner is a teenager - overly dramatic I believe, probably getting pressured by parents to get rid of the horse.

Of course a lot depends on just what the OP is looking for and what kind of experience she has in riding and training, none of which I know!

But that mare looked cute and seemed to be a nice mover if very green.
MW