PDA

View Full Version : Ohhhh....frell

Velvet
Feb. 15, 2011, 01:03 PM
Anyone else sitting around and thinking about missed opportunities with clinincians due to a lack of funds? I was looking at the upcoming dressage clinics coming to the area and I know that there are some really good ones that I won't be able to go to this year due to money (again). I mean ride in them, not just watch.

I hate it when you have to chose between showing, clinicing, traveling and buying new equipment for your horse. :sigh: I'm not horribly disappointed, but I sometimes realize (after the fact) that some of those clinicians might not be coming back for a long time...or ever. Usually due to the cost of bringing them in and other people being in the same financial straits I'm in at the moment.

(Inside joke in the subject line, only known to those who watched a certain scifi show. I figure if it's legal on TV, it should be a legal word out here. Maybe an additional mean for the "F" in WTF. I mean, how many times can you say fruitbat? ;) )

rugbygirl
Feb. 15, 2011, 01:30 PM
Eh, money isn't always the reason. Horses give you all kinds of reasons to have to make choices. Mine is re-habbing this Spring, and so my money (for shows) is just sitting there, unspent. Yah, right. Horse manages to cut into the bank account no matter what...:lol:

It's a very expensive hobby. I achieved most of my success in academics and in my job through a single-minded desire to one day own a horse. When I look at the cost of something and have to say "not this week/month/year"...I can always console myself by hanging out with my very own pony.

If I really want more money, I can always take a second job or additional work assignments.

Also, I console myself with the knowledge that horse people will always take my money, and if I miss this clinician this year, they will come back if I can convince even 3 other people to join in for the fee.

Velvet
Feb. 15, 2011, 01:38 PM
Yeah, but neither my horse nor I are getting any younger! :eek: Sometimes I wish I could win the lottery...but then I'd have to spend money on some tickets and the odds are a lot worse than me actually being able to save up the money. ;)

czgm7r
Feb. 15, 2011, 07:20 PM
Farscape: absolutely my favorite of all time Sci-fi show. :yes:

Yes, I try to audit Walter Zettle clinics for this very reason.

atr
Feb. 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Yup. I'm at the "lesson regularly with decent local trainer or do a 2 day clinic every 6 weeks with stellar visiting trainer" stage. Gone are the days of doing both.

And showing, good grief... that's the next issue on the agenda. It's not even the show fees, it's the USDF/USEF/local GMO x 2 etc, etc, etc, memberships. And I love to show.

And you are right, the not getting any younger thing really sucks, too. Oh well. If horsie lives to his early 30's we might have a crack at a Century Club membership...

Elegante E
Feb. 16, 2011, 08:57 AM
Well, heck, at least you'd have the option. Clinics around me are few and far between with decent clinicians (good number of scary ones to be had for ready money). And then once you find a clinician you'd like to work with, you can't get into the clinic unless you bribe someone (can entail taking lessons with the farm owner and trailering hours per lesson). Then once you get in the loop, like the clinician, etc, the farm owner moves, or the clinician stops coming (some good trainers aren't reliable).

I'm finally at a point where my horse is ready for clinics and I have some extra sheckles for clinic, but there are no clinics to be had.

Seems like a dressage curse.

Velvet
Feb. 16, 2011, 09:30 AM
And showing, good grief... that's the next issue on the agenda. It's not even the show fees, it's the USDF/USEF/local GMO x 2 etc, etc, etc, memberships. And I love to show.

This is one of my major pet peeves, too!!! It gets outrageous and the association higher ups just are so out of touch with most riders. Especially the grass roots. :rolleyes:

Velvet
Feb. 16, 2011, 09:31 AM
Farscape: absolutely my favorite of all time Sci-fi show. :yes:

Ding! Ding! Ding! :lol:

atr
Feb. 16, 2011, 10:28 AM
Elegant E, I know exactly what you mean, which is why I'm hanging on like grim death to my spot with this clinician (who is brought in by a friend of mine rather than a trainer or barn owner.)

Damn this desire to improve ourselves!