PDA

View Full Version : High Fly pensioned and gelded

regret
Feb. 15, 2011, 10:45 AM
I really have to admire the owners for doing this. They could have attempted to try and eak out some money.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/breeding-news/2011/02/14/young-sire-high-fly-pensioned-gelded.aspx

HIGH FLY

by Jeff Lowe

Grade 1 winner and young sire High Fly has returned to owner Charlotte Weber’s Live Oak Stud in Ocala after a stint in Indiana, but he will not continue as a stallion.

In fact, the 2005 Florida Derby (G1) and Fountain of Youth Stakes (G2) winner has been gelded, Live Oak General Manager Bruce Hill said.

“He’s turned out with Revved Up, so we have two of our nice racehorses turned out together,” Hill said of the pairing of High Fly, who earned $927,300, with Revved Up, a 13-time stakes winner who banked $1,548,653.

High Fly, by Atticus out of the Grade 1-placed winner Verbasle, by Slewpy, stood his first three seasons at Live Oak. The nine-year-old is the sire of 12 winners and no stakes winners from 18 starters in two crops of runners. He has eight two-year-olds and four yearlings.

In 2010, High Fly covered only one mare at WinRich Thoroughbreds, a farm in North Vernon, Indiana, that is no longer in operation.
“We gave a lot of thought to it and it’s because of a number of factors,” Hill said. “We thought it was the best thing for the industry, the horse, and taking care of him and giving Mrs. Weber pleasure. Having to hustle to try to figure out how to find 15 to 20 people to breed to a horse, that’s the part of the industry that’s created our own problem. We felt a responsibility to do right by the industry, and we know he’s happier. He’s got a pal, and he’s not in solitary confinement because he’s a stud, and with no mares coming to him, that’s a miserable life.”

High Fly scored wins in six of his first seven starts, including the Aventura Stakes, Fountain of Youth, and $1-million Florida Derby at Gulfstream for Weber and trainer Nick Zito. He finished tenth in both the 2005 Kentucky Derby (G1) and Preakness Stakes (G1); he is a half brother to two stakes winners.

kcmel
Feb. 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
Hey, I was glad to see the update on Revved Up. I loved that horse!

Slewdledo
Feb. 15, 2011, 01:37 PM
That's wonderful. They did the same with another top level horse. Will have to look up his name. They also have BC Mile winner Miesque's Approval, who was already gelded.

Bacchus
Feb. 16, 2011, 08:33 AM
Wow, what a great thing to do for those horses and the industry. Tough for everyone to do it, but maybe if they started retiring them sound and putting some training on them as riding horses it would help. Speaking to the choir -- I know;)

BansheeBreeze
Feb. 16, 2011, 11:39 AM
*applauds* thats fantastic!! nice to see there ARE some responsible horse owners out there!!

Drive NJ
Feb. 16, 2011, 03:46 PM
Webers son is Chester Weber, one of the top drivers in the US / the world.

They also host the Live Oak Driving Event at their farm.

http://www.cailiveoak.com/

My understanding is they do very right by their horses.

2008 Chester's horse Jamaica was named Farnham HOY. Jamaica was 'not in a good place' when Chester found him from this article Chester chose to pass along his award of a year of feed to local rescues
http://www.chesterweber.com/pdf_in_the_news/30_in_the_news.pdf