PDA

View Full Version : Black Mohair Girths

SirGali
Feb. 15, 2011, 12:08 AM
I have a hell of a time with saddle slip on my totally witherless, round draft cross. Someone recently recommended I try a mohair girth, so I have two questions for you guys:

What are your experiences with mohair girths? Are they really as great as everyone seems to claim? Are they good for sensitive horses?

And, where can I find a black one for dressage?

Simrat
Feb. 15, 2011, 02:16 AM
Montanta Cincha can do custom mohair girths, both dressage and regular. Most of their dealers can help you. And ArtCords does lovely girths. I covet one of these to go with my black English AP saddle.

http://store.artcords.com/endurance-refined-english-girth-p250.aspx

For Montana Cincha try http://actionridertack.com/

NJRider
Feb. 15, 2011, 07:44 AM
I have one, I think it came from Dover. It is just a cord girth. When my young mare was being started, it was apparent that she was very sensitive to the elastic type girths. The string girths don't contract and tighten on the horse like an elastic one. So the prevent bucking incidents, I rode her in the string girth for years. She eventually became less sensitive.

SillyHorse
Feb. 15, 2011, 08:54 AM
I have a Montana Cincha. It's not the quality I expected. If I buy another, I would consider ArtCords. There is a "traditional" dressage girth on that site that looks very nice. I might even order the kit and try to make one.

Those are the only two sources I've been able to find for a black dressage-length string girth.

pheasantknoll
Feb. 15, 2011, 09:43 AM
Yes Mohair is good for sensitive horses. In fact, some owners of arabians think it's the only thing for their sensitive skin. I have one (mohair and arab) and I love it. No slipping and I don't think you have to girth up as tight.

SirGali
Feb. 15, 2011, 02:27 PM
I have one, I think it came from Dover. It is just a cord girth. When my young mare was being started, it was apparent that she was very sensitive to the elastic type girths. The string girths don't contract and tighten on the horse like an elastic one. So the prevent bucking incidents, I rode her in the string girth for years. She eventually became less sensitive.

It's a black one? Hmm, all I've seen at dover are white ones. This gives me hope!

Blkarab
Feb. 15, 2011, 05:02 PM
I have a black one for my black Arabian mare that I bought several years ago. When we were at WEG, I asked Stubben about them, and they are no longer being made. :(

My mare can not be ridden in anything else...I have tried! I have over 6 girths in my tack trunk that are completely useless now, and my other horse is not the same size.

You might try Dressage Extensions...I have had a little bit of luck finding them there, but the sizes seem to be hit and miss.

I say we all write Dover and DE, and start requesting them...either they are just really hard to come by, or they don't feel that there is a demand for them. I can not tell you how many times I have read on this forum about someone looking for a mohair girth.

Arizona DQ
Feb. 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
I broke down and bought a white one to use for schooling, the black ones I found were too big for my little mare....:no:

They are great in the summer as they seem to breathe better than any other girths I have found and tried...

citydog
Feb. 15, 2011, 05:30 PM
Are they really as great as everyone seems to claim?

Yes. Yes they are. :yes:

Are they good for sensitive horses?

Yep.

Montana Cincha for real mohair and if you can't find the St├╝bben/Courbette ones anywhere (I think they came from the same manufacturer) try Googling for "Trevira" (they aren't mohair, but a synthetic--I like mohair a bit better because it's got a tiny bit of give, but the Trevira lasts forever). They show up on eBay quite a bit. Be warned that the metric/imperial measurements aren't consistent (some folks round up for inches, some down) so know what your horse needs for metric and/or have the seller give you an actual measurement and not just go by what's on the box for inches.

I don't have any experience with ArtCords but they look fab.

The *best* girths I've ever used are real mohair with elastic ends. The T-Touch people used to sell them but the woman who made them retired. Absolutely brilliant and I've used them for everything and dearly wish I could get some more.

princessfluffybritches
Feb. 15, 2011, 08:58 PM
How many strands is recommended?

NJRider
Feb. 15, 2011, 11:52 PM
It's a black one? Hmm, all I've seen at dover are white ones. This gives me hope!

I bought my black one eons ago... so it does look like now Dover has only white.
Here is a used brown one for $15 http://ewarmbloods.net/topic/992/Cashel-Bell-Boots-Courbette-String-Girth

Courbette sells black cord girths, according to their site.

BigHorseLittleHorse
Feb. 16, 2011, 12:39 PM
Make sure you get one that is 100% mohair. Lots of manufacturers use a mohair/synthetic blend to bring the price down, but that may irritate sensitive skin. I got mine from Montana Cincha.

Fillabeana
Feb. 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
I spent $20 on a dark brown one from Dover, b/c I had only a 56 inch girth for my 15.1 mare. (56 " didn't work...)

I was aghasted that they sent me the wrong size when I measured it out of the box, but it stretched (without really 'stretching' it, if that makes any sense at all) right out to the 48" I ordered. These girths have a natural elasticity and give. They breathe. They grip. They pretty much don't give the horse girth galls. They are not hard to keep clean, you can put them in the washing machine on gentle.

I ride western in either a mohair or an alpaca (even softer) cinch. I don't do neoprene, and a western saddle REALLY needs to have a bit of give in its cinch.

There are people who will custom make a western cinch (with your brand, specific colors, etc) out of mohair. They are a bit expensive (they are made by hand, one at a time), but I'm sure with the right buckles to tie onto they would be able to make a black mohair (or even alpaca) girth for you.

But yes, go find a mohair girth, even if for now it is the wrong color.

Fillabeana
Feb. 16, 2011, 01:34 PM
Oh, and for saddle slip, you might want to use a breastplate and a crupper to help stabilize the saddle.

Action Rider Tack
Feb. 23, 2011, 12:03 PM
Hi,
Action Rider Tack sells mohair girths made by Montana Cincha. They really are very good girths made with 100% natural mohair which is breathable and gentle on a horse's skin. We use them ourselves.
One thing to keep in mind is that the shorter the girth, the more secure the saddle. For a dressage girth the buckles should lay on the horse's barrel just above the point of the elbow. It is best to get someone to help you measure by putting a tape from one side of the horse to the identical spot on the other side just above the point of the elbow. This is the length girth you would want to order.

With Warm Regards,
Candace Kahn BE ONE WITH YOUR HORSE
www.ActionRiderTack.com
www.FreeformSaddles.com
www.HafEquitationUSA.com

Tollfree: 877.865.2467

I have a hell of a time with saddle slip on my totally witherless, round draft cross. Someone recently recommended I try a mohair girth, so I have two questions for you guys:

What are your experiences with mohair girths? Are they really as great as everyone seems to claim? Are they good for sensitive horses?

And, where can I find a black one for dressage?