PDA

View Full Version : So now that we have to wear helmets...

SunsAfire
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:08 PM
Which helmet is the one to chose? The closest tack store is 80MI away, and I have a very egg shaped head.

I remember a million years ago I had an IRH with a dial system and that helped. I was jumping back then and it didn't look bulky.
That's what I'm worried about my next purchase... I don't want it to look stupid/ugly for shows.

If I could afford a GPA I would buy one, but my budget stays around $100.

Sprouty
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:10 PM
In the UK we still don't have to wear hats but it's only a matter of time

thatsnotme
Feb. 14, 2011, 05:28 PM
I was thinking (ans searching) this last night. There is already a fairly lengthy thread 2 pages over. It has the CO helmets at a bit higher percentage of users than the IRH, but someone commented on the IRH being cooler. Also, there doesn't seem to be 1 CO thats overwhelmingly on top. I'm headed to teh tack store to try some on when hubby gets home. Mine is a million years old and smells awful. Time to get a new one!

SunsAfire
Feb. 14, 2011, 10:23 PM
I was thinking (ans searching) this last night. There is already a fairly lengthy thread 2 pages over. It has the CO helmets at a bit higher percentage of users than the IRH, but someone commented on the IRH being cooler. Also, there doesn't seem to be 1 CO thats overwhelmingly on top. I'm headed to teh tack store to try some on when hubby gets home. Mine is a million years old and smells awful. Time to get a new one!

Is "CO" Charles Owen?

TotB
Feb. 15, 2011, 07:24 AM
If you have an egg chaped head, the Charles Owen are the most likely to fit. The GPA fits a round head, so probably will not fit you well. The IRH (make sure the box is marked "long oval" not "round") may work as well.

eponacelt
Feb. 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
If at all possible, make the trip to the store and try them on.

Helmet companies change their design every so often, so something that fit you five years ago, may not fit now. Troxell for instance has changed their design.

The best helmet is the one that is most comfortable for you and the only way to really compare is trying them on.

2ndyrgal
Feb. 15, 2011, 08:51 AM
truly, I had cranial surgery at 9 months of age. As a result, my head is long, and almost completely flat on the sides. I have Patey, customized for my head, which of course became instantly not legal in the hunters and now, sadly isn't legal for dressage either. Since I primarily showed hunters, I started the quest to find a safe, properly fitting, comfortable helmet. I have 3 of the CO models and they all fit wonderfully and are comfortable for long periods of time.

You'll likely need to ramp your budget up past $100 though, to get something that fits well, looks nice and is comfortable.

A helmet isn't something to be skimped on.

SunsAfire
Feb. 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks guys. All of this info has been really helpful. I'm going to go back and reanalyze my budget. I'm sure the awesome man in my life will dish some dollars for my noggin. (:

Xfactor
Feb. 15, 2011, 04:20 PM
The CO JR8 is a pretty inexpensive but well made helmet.
If I recall, my daughter paid at least 100$ less for her JR8 than I did my GR8, and the difference is the harness at the back. AYR8 is my next, since my GR8 is just getting less 'show' looking.

I have a total pinhead/egg shape..the CO helmets were the only ones that didn't either sit up too high or come down over my eyes and wobble around.
Tried IRH...even a GPA...Co just felt perfect on my head type.

Worth everypenny. Love mine.
AND...my first ran like mad when I was at a show in the rain...CO took it back..not DOVER...CO itself, and sent me a new one. Yeah for great customer service as well.:)

SunsAfire
Feb. 15, 2011, 11:17 PM
The CO JR8 is a pretty inexpensive but well made helmet.
If I recall, my daughter paid at least 100$ less for her JR8 than I did my GR8, and the difference is the harness at the back. AYR8 is my next, since my GR8 is just getting less 'show' looking.

I have a total pinhead/egg shape..the CO helmets were the only ones that didn't either sit up too high or come down over my eyes and wobble around.
Tried IRH...even a GPA...Co just felt perfect on my head type.

Worth everypenny. Love mine.
AND...my first ran like mad when I was at a show in the rain...CO took it back..not DOVER...CO itself, and sent me a new one. Yeah for great customer service as well.:)

No way? They took it back? Did you order from Dover or CO itself?

MelanieC
Feb. 15, 2011, 11:54 PM
Are there any less expensive GPA models? I have a very round head and so far the GPAs seem to fit me best but I cannot imagine paying that much for a helmet.

Napoles
Feb. 16, 2011, 08:56 AM
Another vote for Charles Owen for an oval head. I had a James Locke beagler shaped to fit my wonky head and I will be very depressed if a rule comes in preventing me from using it.
My topper is a Christies and doesn't work so great on the oval shape.

2ndyrgal
Feb. 16, 2011, 01:08 PM
You're going to have to retire your beagler.

I once did a complete sommersault off my hunt horse and my Patey stayed right where it was.

I save it for pictures now...

HCF
Feb. 16, 2011, 02:08 PM
Another vote for CO for an oval head. I have a JR8 that I love (fits great!) and am thinking of getting another helmet for shows since my JR8 is looking a little worn. My sister recently got an IRH Elite and raved about it, so I went to the tack store this morning to try some on. Not a single IRH would fit my head properly. They definitely felt too round, pressing into my forehead and the back of my head. That being said, I did not try on an IRH "long oval" (I don't think they had any, just round). I did try on and love the CO AYR 8. Think I will just stick with that!

Tiffani B
Feb. 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
Do the AYR8s run true to size? I've measured my head and it seems that helmets don't always fit regardless of what the size chart says.

akrogirl
Feb. 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
In the UK we still don't have to wear hats but it's only a matter of time

That surprises me since I grew up in England and none of the places where I rode over there ever let anyone on a horse without a helmet. In fact, they were far stricter about it than any of the barns I have ridden at in the US.

dghunter
Feb. 16, 2011, 03:20 PM
Love my CO GR8! It fits me great and is super comfortable. I've ridden all day long in the summer and never gotten hot! I also really like the way it looks on me :yes: I think I look much cooler with a helmet on than off :cool:

ParadoxFarm
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:25 PM
I have a non-round head, too. I have a IRH Elite Extreme. Love it. Light and airy, but less expensive than the GPAs, etc.

HCF
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:46 PM
Do the AYR8s run true to size? I've measured my head and it seems that helmets don't always fit regardless of what the size chart says.

It did for me. My JR8 is a 6 7/8 and the AYR8 I tried on was also a 6 7/8. Fit great. ;)

dressappy
Feb. 19, 2011, 02:40 PM
I just tried on helmets the other day. Charles Owen Jr8 fit me perfectly, but their other one is it the AYR and it never quiet fit me correctly. My head measures a 7, but I think in the Jr8 it was a 6 7/8. Helmet shopping is the only time I absolutely go to the store with a staff that knows what they're doing. My schooling helmet is sized L and wouldn't fit if didn't have the dial thingy. So it was wierd to actually have a correctly fitting helmet. But the only thing I don't like about the CO JR8 was it had no ventaliation. So I was going to go to Dover and look at their IRH helmets. The COs don't have anything in the $100ish range with vent system. I'm not spending $300 on a helmet.

EauMare
Feb. 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
I have a CO as well and I love it!!! However, my CO is a youth helmet (and I am NO youth). My egg/odd shaped head just wasn't fitting well in regular adult helmets; I tried numerous brands and various sizes and the youth helmet fits perfectly!!!