PDA

View Full Version : Critique Please

Sonichorse
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:28 AM
I have never had the nerve to do this before but here we go, list of excuses and all:

My mare is four years old, and this video is of her fourth ride back to work after about nine months off so please take it easy-ish. I realize the tempo is a little quick, but for now, I feel like forward is most paramount because she can be a little bit lazy and even balky if allowed. Any opinions or theories about how to deal with this stage are more than welcome!
I am really proud of how well we are doing considering I have had no help since her initial week of training almost two years ago now; however, I recently did moved her to somewhere that I could get regular lessons and start getting us both fit. I plan on starting lessons for the first time in years this week! I am so excited!
My only other excuse for the moment is if my leg (particularly the right one) seem a little wonky, it is! Part of my reason for not riding this mare for so long include a broken leg from playing kickball (yeah, I know. That is probably part of the reason that game is usually reserved for 5 year olds!).
Also, this is only this mares second time ever in an indoor arena:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71HFpirKVKA

kaluha2
Feb. 14, 2011, 01:58 AM
Well I just love her. Look at how relaxed this girl is and loose and she is not afraid of that indoor in the least--she is a brave, forward moving girl and just goes around with a nice open stride.

I think you have done a good job.

chisamba
Feb. 14, 2011, 03:50 AM
i second that she is a super girl, going along confidently and happily. I think perhaps she is being rushed a little in tempo, but there is a nice steadiness and confidence in her stride that i would not like you to lose.

As you continue in your progress, using a few more transitions to encourage the beginnings of flexion in the joints of the hind end will be of value to you.

shalomypony
Feb. 14, 2011, 05:07 AM
Really nice horse!!!!!!!!:)

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 14, 2011, 07:55 AM
NICE HORSE!! Keep on keepin' on!

Bronte
Feb. 14, 2011, 09:54 AM
Good job! Let me tell you my four year old mare (who has had much more work than yours), ain't going nearly as well!:eek:

Samigator
Feb. 14, 2011, 10:43 AM
Well I just love her. Look at how relaxed this girl is and loose and she is not afraid of that indoor in the least--she is a brave, forward moving girl and just goes around with a nice open stride.

I think you have done a good job.

agree! I love how relaxed and openly she moves. I have no criticism for your riding, I'm not in a position to critique that. ;) But really other than your right leg moving, I didn't notice anything terribly obvious drawing attention away from the horse, so that's a good thing! Really super nice horse though!

Sonichorse
Feb. 14, 2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for all of your comments. I totally agree that transitions are the next addition to the program. I feel so lucky to have such a nice, willing, and sane young mare. I know she isn't a world beater as far as movement goes, but I sure do love her!
I will now have to focus on slowing the rhythm and not running her off of her feet so much. I am just a little paranoid about allowing her to get behind my leg which she tends to want to do a little bit.
I am also completely horrified with my position! If she did anything naughty, I think I might end up in the dirt (where I probably belong). I need to ride a more trained horse some and get a little bit fit, I think.

SisterToSoreFoot
Feb. 14, 2011, 02:51 PM
Yes, very nice. Transitions, shallow loops off the rail and big-trot-little-trot exercises will help her suppleness and adjustability. Cavaletti would be good too.

EasyStreet
Feb. 14, 2011, 03:32 PM
Lovely mare...I would say that we will be hearing a lot about your successes with her as you bring her along...well done!

mickeydoodle
Feb. 14, 2011, 09:47 PM
very nice horse, very nice begining, very good prognosis for future success