PDA

View Full Version : Clamping outside leg

Big_Grey_hunter
Feb. 13, 2011, 01:53 AM
Today I was working on getting my greenie to work of inside leg/outside rein. I knew I was doing it wrong, so I focused on myself to figure out the problem. what I realized was that I was clamping with my outside leg (bad habit from previous training). I was able to un-'clamp' my right leg going to the left and he immediately started figuring it out. But I can NOT get my left leg to let go! Just going straight it's fine, but anytime we turn (going right) it won't let go!

Its not a matter of having a stronger inside leg, he just needs a lighter outside leg and I think he'll stat moving off inside leg to outside rein. He already wants to, but I'm blocking him with that stupid left/outside leg

*Note* I am not a dressage rider, but this seemed like a dressage-y type of question

Bogey2
Feb. 13, 2011, 08:05 AM
It may have something to do with the stiff/hollow side of the horse. Try turning your heels out, then get in to you right thinh and "fill up" the right side with your seat and thigh, relax the loer leg. Greenies are really crooked so if you work on YOUR balance in the saddle you may be able to relax your left leg.

goeslikestink
Feb. 13, 2011, 12:10 PM
Today I was working on getting my greenie to work of inside leg/outside rein. I knew I was doing it wrong, so I focused on myself to figure out the problem. what I realized was that I was clamping with my outside leg (bad habit from previous training). I was able to un-'clamp' my right leg going to the left and he immediately started figuring it out. But I can NOT get my left leg to let go! Just going straight it's fine, but anytime we turn (going right) it won't let go!

Its not a matter of having a stronger inside leg, he just needs a lighter outside leg and I think he'll stat moving off inside leg to outside rein. He already wants to, but I'm blocking him with that stupid left/outside leg

*Note* I am not a dressage rider, but this seemed like a dressage-y type of question

you need to correct this problem before the horse starts avading you so many people have this common problem are quick to blame the horse for being stiff
on the opposite side so gald you realise its you

you need to give on your strongest side to even the horse up that includes yourt hands as well as your legs
look here and read all of page one and read links 4 5 6 7 and 8 for helpful tips

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116