PDA

View Full Version : So Happy tonight!!! New Horse UPDATE - PHOTOS ADDED

arabiansrock
Feb. 13, 2011, 12:54 AM
Had to share with someone! Went to see a 6 yr old TB (OTTB but never raced, too slow), I have developed a fear of cantering over the last few years, especially on horses I am not familiar with. I can do anything with just about any horse in the trot but ask me to canter and I get anxious and tight. Well on this horse, I asked for canter (my trainer gave me orders that I cannot buy the horse if I cant canter him). he went but his canter is sooo much bigger than my 14.3 h arabs that I promptly leaned right over his neck in the fetal position! He didn't do anything just kept going until I said whoa. Seller yelled at me to sit up so I went and asked again, she yelled "sit up and breathe' and then we were good. HE was a total packer.

So came home to tell dh about him, and I told him about my canter debacle, and he said "stop right there, you were practically on his neck and he didn't do anything? Buy the horse." So I am picking him up first thing in the am. HIs conformation isnt perfect for dressage, he has rather a long back, and his movement is good but not great. HOwever he has a wonderful affectionate personality, and I feel good on him. My trainer said, "who cares if he can't go to 4 th level, by the time he tops out, you will have regained your confidence and be ready for more horse',

HIs name is Middletown Road, but we are going to call him Teddy because he is just a big teddy bear. So I guess I am now a member of the OTTB lovers club as well as the arab lovers club!

thanks for listening:)
arabsrock (and OTTB's too)

COLORADO
Feb. 13, 2011, 01:29 AM
Congratulations to you and Teddy!! Look forward to your sharing photos of your new boy!! :)

princessfluffybritches
Feb. 13, 2011, 08:58 AM
Not fair to share happiness without pictures!

Fourbeats
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:01 AM
My trainer said, "who cares if he can't go to 4 th level, by the time he tops out, you will have regained your confidence and be ready for more horse',

Remember, it's the journey that is important. You will get there and Teddy will help. Congratulations.

BaroquePony
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
Good choice :yes: now you can really learn to ride.

GimmeQs
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:47 AM
Woo-hoo! Sounds like you now have a great horse to go along with your great horse-purchase-approving DH!

GallantGesture
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:52 AM
That's awesome, congratulations! He sounds like a sweet horse :)

monique1986
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
Awww...that is sweet! I am happy for you :)

TBrescue
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:03 AM
Congrats to you and Teddy!!!

Justmyluck
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:21 AM
That's so cool, congratulations!

dwblover
Feb. 13, 2011, 11:34 AM
They are truly wonderful and very special horses. Congrats!!!

netg
Feb. 13, 2011, 12:01 PM
Congrats, both on finding a great match AND having a hubby who "gets it"! Very cool!

arabiansrock
Feb. 13, 2011, 04:16 PM
Thank-you everybody, I am so excited. Of course we had to have a problem this am tho, got to ranch with truck back up to trailer, and my son comes up and says "mom you are going to kill me but I took the hitch off and it is in the garage". So now I am going to go get him tonight.

I "used" to know how to ride, I have ridden thru 3rd level, but at some point I lost my confidence in the canter. I can do anything at trot on anybody. Just don't ask me to canter.
so if he helps me get my confidence back then he will be worth his weight in gold.

I will try and get some nice pics later this week after I get him cleaned up a bit. But... he is a bit of an ugly duckling and has NO muscle right now, so he won't look much like a dressage prospect. But give me 6 months and I bet he looks much better. :D

BaroquePony
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Posted by arabiansrock:

I "used" to know how to ride, I have ridden thru 3rd level, but at some point I lost my confidence in the canter. I can do anything at trot on anybody. Just don't ask me to canter.
so if he helps me get my confidence back then he will be worth his weight in gold.

He sounds like he is going to be a lot of fun :yes:

sarah v
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:41 PM
He sounds perfect :yes: Congratulations.

Jane Honda
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:47 PM
Congrats! I'm a one week old OTTB owner too!!!!! Lessee some photos!

mickeydoodle
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:09 PM
good for you, congratulations

rprincess73
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:11 PM
Awesome! Can't wait to see pictures:)

spotteddrafter
Feb. 14, 2011, 10:20 AM
Woohoo!

I jumped into the OTTB pool myself last week, and couldn't be more pleased! They sure are special horses, and the coolest thing is that they pick you as much as you pick them.

Congrats, OP!!! :)

(Oh, and I am now going from a spotted draft - Paint/Perch cross - to TB.)

SunsAfire
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:02 PM
My co-workers are looking at me like I'm crazy. I'm smiling from ear to ear for you! Congratulations POST PICS!!! :)

arabiansrock
Feb. 14, 2011, 12:18 PM
THANK-YOU EVERYBODY It is raining here so it might be a few days before I can get some decents pictures but I promise I will. I am grinning from ear to ear to, not just because I got "my" horse (as compared to my arab mare that basically has chosen my son as her rider) but because my husband seems to have "gotten it" in terms of who I am and what makes me tick. I told him this morning, that I am starting (after 22 years) to feel like he is appreciating me for who I am now, instead of being disappointed in me for not being who he wanted me to be.

The bummer is dh gave me money last christmas for my "dream saddle" and it has taken a year to get, it is coming Wed, and is bench made for my 15 h arab. It will NOT fit MY new boy, so my dream saddle is now my son's dream saddle, and I will be riding in a Thorowgood T4 (definitely NOT my dream saddle). So hopefully Teddy gives me back my self confidence so I can ride my arab effectively and get to sit in my saddle at least occasionally!

I promise some pic's of my sweetie within a few days. Who says thoroughbreds are hot? He got off the trailer, lunged for 5 minutes to stretch his legs, and just stopped and walked in to me for petting and loving. He wanted that more than exercize!!!

Happy days, Happy days. Happy Valentines to all! :)

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Feb. 14, 2011, 02:17 PM
Congratulations!!! (on both the horse and the hubby who says "buy the horse"! ;))

It's soooo important to ride and learn on a horse that you're comfortable with. And with a long back, collection might be more challenging, but he'll be able to swing better than a short-backed horse. And the schoolmaster I was showing 3rd on last year was built down hill with pretty bad natural gaits, and got her owner the silver medal, and gave me several scores in the 60s with 6s and 7s on gaits -- that's what dressage training is for: To improve a horse! :)

suzy
Feb. 14, 2011, 02:22 PM
The horse AND your husband sound like absolute gems! Take good care of them. :)

arabiansrock
May. 25, 2011, 02:14 AM
WEll I have had my TEddybear for 10 weeks now. I can hardly believe it. I finally got around to getting a few decent pics and wanted to post a couple.

http://s771.photobucket.com/albums/xx357/pmanza/?action=view&current=P1030064.jpg

http://s771.photobucket.com/albums/xx357/pmanza/?action=view&current=teddyprofile.jpg

I am so much in love with him, he has a great personality. I am calling him my pedophile pony because I caught him with my daughters skirt (catholic school skirt) sucked up into his mouth, his eyes closed and just chewing away on it. He looked like he was in heaven. Needless to say, her skirt was totally soggy.

Tonight, he nuzzled on a baby and blew on her ever so gently, she just smiled. You could tell that he knew to be gentle.

I can't wait until life settles down and I can start riding more than 2 days a week!!!!

netg
May. 25, 2011, 08:44 AM
Awww, what a sweetie!

I really like his shoulder - he looks like he's built to have a lot of freedom there. Nice!

arabiansrock
May. 25, 2011, 01:29 PM
thanks netg, I am such a proud mother:)

suzy
May. 25, 2011, 01:38 PM
Congratulations. He looks perfectly wonderful. Of course, I'd love to hear the nuns' reactions when your daughter shows up at school with her skirt in that condition. I'd love to hear her telling them how this gorgeous guy was just all over her, and he was just so irresistible that she couldn't get him off of her. ;)

arabiansrock
May. 27, 2011, 11:15 AM
well the skirt really reeked of alfalfa after, went straight into the washer! My daughter is now done with catholic school (grad 8 th grade last night) so in theory Teddy can destroy her skirt to his hearts content, unfortunately it just isn't a safe chew toy for a horse! I would hate to see my vets expression if he ate the skirt and vet had to pull it out of him. He will have to be happy with carrots instead!

esdressage
May. 27, 2011, 12:19 PM
What a sweetie! He sounds like a member of the family already.

A horse you feel safe on and can enjoy is worth his weight in gold! He's adorable, to boot! It sounds like you hit the jackpot. Congrats!!! :)