PDA

View Full Version : Dressage saddle storage informal poll

TheHorseProblem
Feb. 12, 2011, 08:24 PM
When I bought a new saddle last fall, the saddler saw that I was using this type of saddle rack:

http://tinyurl.com/6gon3b5

(if anyone can tell me how to turn a word into a link, I'd be happy to know)

She told me that the ideal way to store a saddle is on something like this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27103&ids=778671449

What the saddler told me makes sense because the saddle at rest should not be splayed out on metal bars. However, this seems to be a unique viewpoint around the barn.

How do you store your saddle, and is there a good reason why you store it that way?

joiedevie99
Feb. 12, 2011, 08:46 PM
Metal saddle racks are death to flocking. They create ridges in the wool. Our metal saddle racks are covered in old saddle pads or pipe insulation. When I bought my custom saddle this summer, I got one of these to help the flocking adjustments last longer: http://www.saddlemattress.com/collections/products

It's a cover that velcros over the metal saddle rack.

Justmyluck
Feb. 12, 2011, 08:48 PM
I store my saddle on the metal rack like the first picture however there are several thick saddle pads between the metal frame and the saddle panels. I was taught that with the metal bars the flocking in your saddle will get compressed in certain areas and lumpy. The pads between prevent this.

The single bars allow the saddle to rest on its channel so the flocking is undisturbed.

Antaeus
Feb. 12, 2011, 08:55 PM
My saddles are on molded plastic racks in the trailer tack room. The racks are similar to joie's, shaped kind of like a horse's back.

TheHorseProblem
Feb. 12, 2011, 09:28 PM
I searched online for days for something, because I also can't put any new holes in the walls there to mount my own saddle rack. I came across the Saddle Mattress, which is a fantastic idea, but kind of pricey for what is probably a temporary situation for my horse. I ended up making my own saddle rack out of a 2X4 and sawhorse brackets.

But I'm going to tell the barn manager about their web site. It confirms what the saddler told me, and what all of you are saying.

mzm farm
Feb. 12, 2011, 11:19 PM
My saddle racks at home are custom - 4x4 on diagonal (when you look at the saddle rack head on it looks like a diamond). Regular saddles do well on this, extra wide ones sit on a pad or two. Have not had any problems.

chisamba
Feb. 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
I store my saddle on the metal rack like the first picture however there are several thick saddle pads between the metal frame and the saddle panels. I was taught that with the metal bars the flocking in your saddle will get compressed in certain areas and lumpy. The pads between prevent this.

The single bars allow the saddle to rest on its channel so the flocking is undisturbed.

this

Carol O
Feb. 13, 2011, 05:45 AM
When I bought a new saddle last fall, the saddler saw that I was using this type of saddle rack:

http://tinyurl.com/6gon3b5

(if anyone can tell me how to turn a word into a link, I'd be happy to know)

She told me that the ideal way to store a saddle is on something like this:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27103&ids=778671449

What the saddler told me makes sense because the saddle at rest should not be splayed out on metal bars. However, this seems to be a unique viewpoint around the barn and I get raised eyebrows.

How do you store your saddle, and is there a good reason why you store it that way?

I have been using the racks you have for years without any problems.

buck22
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:43 AM

this^^^

I use these free standing saddle trees: http://cgi.ebay.com/Heavy-Duty-Three-Tier-Saddle-Rack-/110640157197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c2aad20d

and they don't harm the flocking one bit
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/buck1173/417cfdbf.jpg

princessfluffybritches
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:57 AM
The 2x4 works for me too. And makes them easy to clean as well.

jodyb
Feb. 15, 2011, 05:44 PM

Me too!

SBrentnall
Feb. 16, 2011, 04:36 PM
I use the first one, but I put two old gel pads between the saddle and the metal.

The Saddle Mattress is great, but $99 is too expensive for me.

Dressage_Julie
Feb. 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
I have always been told to use something like this:
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-27515&ids=562164562

I keep my saddle in a vertical tack truck with just a round brass bar that it sits on.

JanDinWA
Feb. 16, 2011, 06:01 PM
We made some that attach to the wall in the same way as the collapsible one in the first post. Took a 2x4 and sawed off two edges lengthwise and attached 1x6's on each side. I don't have a picture but kind of like this /|\ (viewed from the end). Then glued carpet remnant over the whole top. We do have some metal racks like in the first post but only use those for the saddles with Flair panels as it doesn't affect them. They did affect one of the flocked saddles and the fitter pointed it out to us.

ParadoxFarm
Feb. 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
I made similar ones that JanDinWA did. We actually cut landscape timbers, though, which are rounded (or oval) and covered them in carpet. They work great, and were CHEAP. Will take pictures if you want to see.

stryder
Feb. 16, 2011, 06:28 PM
My saddle racks at home are custom - 4x4 on diagonal (when you look at the saddle rack head on it looks like a diamond). Regular saddles do well on this, extra wide ones sit on a pad or two. Have not had any problems.

These have been installed in all the tack lockers at my barn, as well as near the cross-ties.

TheHorseProblem
Feb. 18, 2011, 10:51 AM
I love all the do-it-yourself ideas here. Dressage Julie, I really liked that one, but again, no new holes in the tack room. I used to board at a club with communal tack rooms, and they had similar restrictions. I used a coffee can on the floor wedged between my trunk and the wall to store my whips, for example.

My trainer LOVED the saddle rack I came up with, and even suggested some ways to improve on it. I am now searching for venture capital to go into the folding wooden saddle rack business.;)

dressagediosa
Feb. 18, 2011, 04:57 PM
I cover the cheapy metal racks with pipe insulation, then cover the pipe insulation in vetwrap. Cheap, easy, and you can get vet wrap in all sorts of fabulous colors, which is, obviously, the most important part. :)

Valentina_32926
Feb. 18, 2011, 05:24 PM
We made some that attach to the wall in the same way as the collapsible one in the first post. Took a 2x4 and sawed off two edges lengthwise and attached 1x6's on each side. I don't have a picture but kind of like this /|\ (viewed from the end). Then glued carpet remnant over the whole top. We do have some metal racks like in the first post but only use those for the saddles with Flair panels as it doesn't affect them. They did affect one of the flocked saddles and the fitter pointed it out to us.

Yup - exactly what my hubby made for me - works great and saddles never have any marks on them from the rack. :cool:

vbunny
Feb. 18, 2011, 06:52 PM
I'd worry about the corners of a 4x4?

lorilu
Feb. 19, 2011, 07:44 PM
At home, I use one of those folding plastic sawhorses. Under $20, light, folds really flat, easy to stick in trailer for shows...... and the bar fits up in the gullet of the saddle so no flocking si disturbed.
L

thatsnotme
Feb. 20, 2011, 12:26 PM
My saddler says nothing should ever touch the panels but your horses back. We use smooth metal tubing with wings welded to 1 edge and screw that to the wall (of course my husband works in steel). The saddler siad 2x4's or anything that would not touch the panels would be fine. She recommended storing it on the ground rather than using regular racks. My trailer has the racks with bars across them, so i covered those racks it old pads and vetwrapped them.

Samigator
Feb. 21, 2011, 01:03 AM
this is applicable to any kind of saddle with wool flocking. Anything with a small/sharp/narrow surface will make a dent in the flocking on a saddle, even on foam panels after a while. The tack lockers at my barn have 2x4's, essentially, that are used for saddle racks, and after just a few weeks of storing my old junker saddle on it, there was a noticeable dent in the panels, which not only damages them, but changes how they make contact with the horse's back.

When I got my new saddle, custom flocked by a master saddler, I had my husband make a saddle rack for it, out of 2x6's, which he cut and fit together at the appropriate angle (about 100 degrees, I measured the angle where the majority of the panels would make contact with the rack, and made the "panel" portion of the wood rack wide enough that it would dispurse the pressure evenly). Then i filed down the ends so there is absolutely nothing sharp. It has been perfect, and is nice because the panels don't get dented, yet my saddle fits really nice and stable inside of the tack locker (unlike the narrow 2x4 on end like someone showed- while those are nice because they don't touch the panels, the saddles can easily slip or slide off of them). My saddle rack is much like using a 4x4 or 6x6 on a diagonal, except it's a little wider angle, since my saddle has a wider tree.