PDA

View Full Version : compressed Hay 70 timothy 30 alfalfa

dressagebrat
Feb. 12, 2011, 09:17 AM
Has anyone tried this kind of hay, It seems really nice very dry great color has anyone had a horse colic on it ?

They must drink alot more water too.

ThreeFigs
Feb. 12, 2011, 06:46 PM
You may get more responses to your question if you put it in the horse care forum.

I've not tried the mix you refer to, but we have a similar mix (not compressed hay, though) with brome and alfalfa. The horses like it and none have had problems.

canterhavenfarm
Feb. 12, 2011, 06:56 PM
I use this compressed hay at times, particular now since past the half way mark of yearly hay supply, and mix in with my regular hay. Have had no problems and the horses eat it fine but do prefer to eat the 'main' hay first. When I mix it in, 1 compressed bale lasts 1 1/2 days for 4 horses. And by mix in, I use 1/2 - 1 of the compressed flake (depends on the horse). A full flake is fairly hefty for the size. How often I buy it depends on the cost. Right now compressed bales are $10. Usually they are $12.

Easy to handle and have not had any surprises ( yet. No dust, no weeds, etc).

stryder
Feb. 12, 2011, 08:02 PM
My barn feeds compressed timothy hay. Some horses get only timothy, and it's all compressed. It's prepared for export, so often comes wrapped in plastic. I don't see that the horses drink more than usual, and I don't know why they would, as the hay is just compressed, not dehydrated. But they have water in front of them at all times, anyway. The BO is hyper-alert about that. Everyone has two buckets, some have three; and a trough in each paddock.

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 12, 2011, 11:35 PM
I use compressed straight alfalfa that is shipped in from Idaho.
LOVE IT! The company (who's name eludes me atm) was at WEG and I decided to hang out 'user promoing' for her for a while because it really is such amazing hay.
no dust, even weights per flake, easy to store, transport, and less likely to mold. and best of all, my horse consistently gobbles it down

dressagebrat
Feb. 13, 2011, 10:04 AM
thank you I did buy some for 8.00 per bale.