PDA

View Full Version : Your unexpected moments.

Velvet
Feb. 10, 2011, 11:30 AM
The passage thread made me think back to some moments when horses just suddenly offered (by mistaking the aids, or something else) a movement they were not yet trained to do under saddle. (Boy, do those moments teach you the things your young horse will usually later find to be simple.)

One of my old horses was SO annoyed with a misunderstanding between his rider (me) and a clinician (we were just NOT on the same page) that at three years old he just threw in a perfect piaffe. I mean rhythmical and soft. Having trained enough of them a lot of other horses, I just rode it very softly, but encouraged a bit more. An unexpected gift that made me smile, and made the clinician offer to buy my horse. :lol: Definitely showed his talent for it. He never thought it was that hard, later when we worked it in earnest.

What's your story and what did it tell you about your horse?

Paddys Mom
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:03 PM
A little bit of canter pirouette while asking for a square corner at the canter. :D

Oberon13
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:45 PM
I had a canter pirouette, too! Also was asking for a quarter turn, but maresy kept going around...nice sit, kept the canter rhythm, had three great strides of pirouette! I took it!! Just kept cantering our new direction and went on to something else!

Paddys Mom
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:53 PM
Just kept cantering our new direction and went on to something else!

Yes, with a HUGE smile on my face.
Trainer said, "Wasn't that cool?" :cool:

Holly Jeanne
Feb. 10, 2011, 01:02 PM
Very cool stuff folks! My mare and I had been doing hill work to get her a little more forward. One day, after doing some hill work, I took her in to the ring. Upon asking for more forward at the trot, she offered some lenthening. After that day, I started having to ask her to wait to be asked before doing it. :lol:

netg
Feb. 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
Pirouettes, both walk and canter. "Oh, you want me to shorten my stride and rock my weight back, then make my canter circle smaller? How about I just keep my back legs in the same place and really sit instead, then rotate around them?"

Working on more energy at a more collected trot, there was what I think were a couple of steps of passage.

Yes, my OTTB finds collection WAY easier than extension. :lol:

Pony Fixer
Feb. 10, 2011, 01:57 PM
Like you Velvet, my petulant pony occasionally throws in a few steps of piaffe when he's a bit miffed at me because he doesn't understand something. I always stay soft until he's "finished" and then say "good boy" with a pat and then try for my original intention with no fanfare.

I've also gotten lots of flying changes "by accident". I never reprimand those, either, especially now that we are playing with them once a week. I just give a pat, pick up my counter canter again or whatever and proceed like it never happened.

Hampton Bay
Feb. 10, 2011, 03:29 PM
My coming 5 Arab has been doing clean, lovely changes since he was 4. Unasked, and he's been known to do 2-tempi's on the lunge for fun. He also has a nice, balanced counter-canter.

The mare can do a lovely piaffe! But it's usually because she wants to GO and she's not being allowed to do so.

Oberon13
Feb. 10, 2011, 04:18 PM
Yes! I've also gotten the unintentional lengthenings...one lesson, we were working on renvers and travers around a 20-meter circle, getting the maresy to release in her back/loins and get her haunches moving. After a while of this, we straightened out and she LIFTED up her shoulders and CARRIED me into a lovely lengthening! I literally laughed out loud, and the trainer just said, "Yep, she likes this!"

RedHorses
Feb. 10, 2011, 06:56 PM
It was lengthening for me too. My horse likes to go on hacks - and I mean run. One day I was insisting on trot and asked him to lengthen his trot. It got bigger and stronger and suddenly "snapped" into a steady, balanced, lengthened trot. Way cool. :cool: