PDA

View Full Version : Headsets and microphones while teaching

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 10, 2011, 11:10 AM
I am extremely technologically challenged and am finding perhaps it is best to teach with a headset as opposed to having no voice by the end of the day...when there is wind in the indoor, I feel like I am almost screaming, but it is not intentional. Anyone have any ideas or preferences to what kind of wireless headset? Recommendations?

yaya
Feb. 10, 2011, 11:55 AM
Definitely the Eartec Simulcast G24 (or maybe it's 24G).

They have a couple of different headsets/earpieces to choose from, easy to change frequencies (a must at a busy show, when there may be others using the same frequency), and hands-free talking. The student can be miked, or listen-only at the push of a button.

We've used them for a couple of years now, at home and at shows.

MelantheLLC
Feb. 10, 2011, 01:41 PM
I'd love to hear all the suggestions on these--even though my trainer has a wonderfully carrying voice, I'm finding it harder and harder to hear her when we are facing away. Been thinking of getting one of these for us.

Interesting about the listen-only. I could probably use something that would help me shut up and ride.

n2dressage
Feb. 10, 2011, 01:47 PM
My trainer uses them. I had an unexpected dismount from her young horse last week... they don't feel good when you land on the transmitter box.... Just a warning! I had a really pretty bruise!
Other than that I like having her "in my ear" so when she yells for me to "SIT BACK" and "PUT YOUR RIGHT HAND DOWN"!!!! I have no choice but to actually do it hahahahahaha

SisterToSoreFoot
Feb. 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
I don't like them--find it distracting and nerve-racking to have to deal with the stuff in the ears and the box bouncing off my breeches band. How about just teaching with a microphone? Seems simpler.

Lusoluv
Feb. 10, 2011, 05:52 PM
I also teach with the Eartec. Love it. Price is right ($299) Everyone loves it as I don't. have to yell to be heard and we can both speak in quiet/indoor voices when relaying directives or receiving feedback. Great tool as I do not have a strong voice that carries. I also use it when getting instruction from trainers I clinic with and I don't have to strain to hear them if I'm riding away or we're outside with wind. Worth every penny!

yaya
Feb. 10, 2011, 06:29 PM
Oops. It's Simultalk, not Simulcast.

Anyway, i wear mine on my boot because i don't like it on my waistband either. I am 5'8" and have no problems with the cord reaching.

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 10, 2011, 10:38 PM
thank you thank you thank you! I will look into this! I considered a microphone but I would prefer not everyone hear everything I am saying, ya know?? LOL!

high hat
Feb. 11, 2011, 12:11 AM
For those of you that have this set up which headset do you prefer?

yaya
Feb. 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
I thought I would prefer The Loop (just goes over one ear), but I must have funny-shaped ears because it won't stay on. So I stick with The Cyber (hooks over both ears, around the back of my head). No problem wearing it under a helmet-I don't even notice it.

49'er
Feb. 11, 2011, 08:55 AM
I just ordered one of these yesterday from Dover before this thread started. Now I am a little worried as to which headset it comes with. :( I am pretty sure I would prefer the Cyber from what is described above.

Lusoluv
Feb. 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
When I got my set, it only came with the Cyber headset, and I am very happy with it. Haven't had it fall off yet and I teach jumpers too.

goodpony
Feb. 11, 2011, 11:33 AM
I received an Eartec Simultalk 24G for Christmas. I am not a trainer but a rider---it incredibly simple to use. After using it a few times my trainer says she is buying one to use with her other students---she really likes it. It is literally charge and go.

My husband took it with him xc schooling last weekend and he discovered that if there are other systems in the area he is unfortunately tuned into them all.

yaya
Feb. 11, 2011, 08:47 PM
The Cyber comes with the set, The Loop is an additional, optional headset.

ideayoda
Feb. 11, 2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.eartec.com/equestrian.html They DO last. And get a fanny pack from tunebelt (which is safer). Rather than a headset choose the one ear receiver for the rider.

yaya
Feb. 11, 2011, 11:45 PM
My husband took it with him xc schooling last weekend and he discovered that if there are other systems in the area he is unfortunately tuned into them all.

Easily fixed. Take the back off, take out the battery, and change the switches underneath. The manual tells you which switches to switch to get which frequency (it works on LOTS of different frequencies) but i find if you just change a switch or two (doesn't matter which) you can get to a clear channel. (most people just leave it on the frequency it comes on) You just have to make sure the Master and Remote have the same switches set so they can
talk to each other!

And one Master can talk to lots of Remotes. I got a set, then my trainer got a set with two Remotes, and when they are all set to the same frequency, she can talk to three of us in warmup at once.

yaya
Feb. 11, 2011, 11:48 PM
Rather than a headset choose the one ear receiver for the rider.

That's The Loop. But I find it doesn't stay on my ear.

Debbie D
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:45 AM
The eartec simultalk is a good product for the price and if you are mostly using it for lessons. However, "buyer beware" if you are using this set in competition warm-up. They do not have a multi channel system and you will quickly find out that you might be listening to someone else's warm up session other than your own!

mzm farm
Feb. 12, 2011, 12:09 PM
my 2cents as a student.

I have cliniced with the same instructor several times. Some of those times we had head sets, some not. He is clear in his instructions and will repeat if asked. I thought he was loud enough. I was AMAZED at how much easier it was for me to comprehend and follow instructions with a headset - I had it turned up loud, he was practically yelling in my ear (my personal choice as I had a volume control). The tone and words were the same as always (not yelling, just directions), but the volume on high somehow REALLY helped - I could do as instructed without having to take the time to process as much.

The negative of the headset at one time was that it unexpectedly squealed/peeped very suddenly, shrilly and loudly in my ear, which caused me to twitch/yell/clamp and my horse responded with a sudden forward, no big deal, just unpleasant for us both.

Another issue with my rides was that the arena speakers were not on, so when I reviewed my videotaped ride, the comments were not there.

Overall, I really feel I ride better and comprehend instructions better when they are clear and LOUD - easy with the headset for teacher and student.

KristyN
Feb. 12, 2011, 06:04 PM
I love the Simultalk as well (I'm the student). Use it at home when we ride outside and the wind is blowing, and use it at shows in the warmup.
Absolutely fabulous value for the price. I was really tired of having to stay at the busy end of the warmup to hear my instructions - this solved the problem. The range is excellent, the clarity is excellent, and you have many channel options to choose from so you are not interfered with - just save the manual with the instructions.
Great buy!

yaya
Feb. 12, 2011, 10:15 PM
The eartec simultalk is a good product for the price and if you are mostly using it for lessons. However, "buyer beware" if you are using this set in competition warm-up. They do not have a multi channel system and you will quickly find out that you might be listening to someone else's warm up session other than your own!

They have MANY channels (I think it's like 40). See my post above on how to change frequencies.

Carol O
Feb. 13, 2011, 05:56 PM
There was a post a couple of years ago about how to make one of these systems for much less $. I think Radio Shack was mentioned if anyone wants to search it out.

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 15, 2011, 01:40 PM
I bought a system from Eartec a few moments ago, $279 with free shipping. I should have it within the week....thanks guys for the advice! I have two almost deaf students and for them this will be wonderful....the perception of the yelling is more than I can bear from those watching. I am so not the person they think I am....but in order for those two students to hear me it is perceived as being humiliating by others.

yaya
Feb. 15, 2011, 04:44 PM
Let us know how it works for you!

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 15, 2011, 09:25 PM
Let us know how it works for you!

That I will...

happyrider234
Feb. 16, 2011, 09:06 PM
I've used this system for a few years, in fact, had to get new batteries this month! Love it! I turn it to listen only (I'm the student), because it is VERY sensitive, and I don't want my instructor to hear me breathing or quietly talking to my horse.

She is an excellent teacher, who is always asking me to make my aids more subtle, and to sit more quietly. These concepts work much better when she can whisper them to me (it seems as though she is inside my head), rather than bellow them across the arena! Neither of us can function as well without them now.

As a gift, I just got her a system with 5 headsets for her other students, and she was THRILLED!

oldhorsegirl
Oct. 20, 2012, 12:01 PM
As a gift, I just got her a system with 5 headsets for her other students, and she was THRILLED!

I should think she WOULD be!

mbm
Oct. 20, 2012, 03:05 PM
i didnt read the whole thread - but really you can go to radio shack and purchase 2 two way radios then a headset/ear bud and batteries all for about $20 and you are good to go :)

no need to spend huge sums of cash :)

oops - just realized this is an old thread..... sorry!

JLR1
Oct. 20, 2012, 05:36 PM
I think my trainer uses the really pricey unit...can't think of the name. I bought the Eartec unit for 2 purposes...to use when my husband and I ride our bicycles (the range is up to a 1/4 mile) and for lessons. I love the headset...it stays put and is comfortable under a helmet. The sound quality is fantastic. I am a little hard of hearing and I can hear perfectly with these. I bought it a few months ago from an EBay retailer (new products) and it was the best price out there.