PDA

View Full Version : Chaps That Fit Over Winter Paddock Boots

mojo7777
Feb. 9, 2011, 08:08 PM
I really love my Ariat insulated paddock boots. I can't recall their title, but they are toasty in subzero temps--a little clunky, but work well in my regular stirrups if I let them down a hole. The problem is, I can't find half chaps that will fit over them. I tried Barnstable velcro tab suede ones that worked well, but (embarrassment!) the way I turn my toe out, it causes the sharp edge of the velcro patch to wear a rub mark on my poor horse! Any suggestions for half chaps that fit over winter paddock boots? TIA

ddashaq
Feb. 9, 2011, 08:36 PM
I have the suede Ariat half chaps-- the All Arounds, I think. I got them one size bigger so they still fit my legs but are big on my ankle and fit over my winter boots.

mojo7777
Feb. 9, 2011, 08:55 PM
I'll check these out. Thanks!

ETA: They look great, but going up a size I'd still only tAke the smalls--wonder if they'd fit over the winter boots...

jn4jenny
Feb. 9, 2011, 08:56 PM
The cheap Ovation and Dublin kinds will fit over darn near anything. They're the kind with the big elastic panel in the back. That's what I wear over my Mountain Horse Ice Rider paddocks + Wind Pro breeches, and I am not a delicate little flower to begin with (16" calves).

risky business
Feb. 10, 2011, 10:47 AM
Ariat has an insulated winter half chap that fits perfectly over their winter paddock boots.

I got mine a couple of years ago so I am not sure if they are still available but they work great and they are warmer than regular half chaps.

mjmvet
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:04 PM
Or, if you're cheap, and no one watches you ride, you can use fleece polo wraps as half chaps. I admit to using these in the winter to keep my legs warmer!

BigHorseLittleHorse
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:13 PM
I actually ride in full chaps in the winter and just leave the zipper open a little at the bottom. It's not as stylin', I know, but then I don't have to worry about stretching out my half chaps to fit over my winter boots. And they keep my thighs warm too :)

JenEM
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
The cheap Ovation and Dublin kinds will fit over darn near anything. They're the kind with the big elastic panel in the back. That's what I wear over my Mountain Horse Ice Rider paddocks + Wind Pro breeches, and I am not a delicate little flower to begin with (16" calves).

I've got a pair of Mountain Horse winter paddock boots, though I forget the model, and they look like combat boots. Keep my always-cold feet nice and toasty :) But I didn't want to ruin my good half-chaps trying to stretch them over the winter boots. So I picked up a pair of the Dublins pretty inexpensively, and they've held up to two winters of use. Fit right over the giant paddock boots, and are a little stretchier to fit over fleece breeches or breeches & long underwear.

mojo7777
Feb. 10, 2011, 07:31 PM
Lots of good suggestions here, but you know, I think I'll go with the full chaps idea, but for next winter. After being in an intense deep freeze, temps are predicted to go up to 30 on the week end, then 40s, then 50s. Back to the regular leather field boots... I hope?

ETA:Love the polo wraps idea too!

Spooks
Feb. 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
I had a pair with the elastic stretchy fabric at the back for a while, can't remember the brand, but the fabric wore out pretty quickly. I then switched to full chaps and they work great, plus they are nice and warm!