PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried these fresh helmet thingies...?

Oberon13
Feb. 7, 2011, 02:42 PM
If you've ridden horses long enough, I'm sure you've had the tack room conversation about how horrid everyone's helmets smell...especially in the summer! :D

I have a CO AYR8 that I LOVE, and I'd like to keep it fresh. I'm a sweater...not the knit kind that you wear in winter, but I sweat when I work hard. So...

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=8998&cm_vc=Search

Any other helpful hints? What about the CO helmet deoderant spray?

joiedevie99
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have one. I don't notice any different in odor, but it does dry my helmet out much faster.

NBFarm
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:35 PM
Try putting a dryer sheet in your helmet after you ride.

Oberon13
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
Dryer sheet WHILE I ride or AFTER I ride?

I'd hate to have the overpowering scent of Bounce etched into the molecules of my hair. Although, after I ride, I can see it helping freshen at least the air inside my helmet.

NBFarm
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:38 PM
Try putting a dryer sheet in your helmet after you ride.

After

Oberon13
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:46 PM
Ok, thanks for the clarification since your post read, at first, "when you ride." I just couldn't for the life of me want to put a dryer sheet on my head! :D

I keep a Bounce dryer sheet in the rubbermaid container where I keep my polo wraps. I will pull one out and try it in the helmet!

oldgreypony
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:43 PM
I have two (I am a sweater, too, winter or summer), and I have ruined more helmets by sweating in them than any other way. The fresh helmet things work pretty well for drying the helmet. I have found that they work best when I hang them out in the sun while I am riding, so that they get a chance to release the moisture that they absorbed from my helmet.

As for that lovely helmet smell, I save my CO for showing and clinics, and use a GPA for schooling because I can wash it. I also try to let my helmets dry in the sun for a little while before I put them away-sunlight kills germs even when it's cold.

I have also been known to spray Febreze in a helmet that smells like old gym socks, because if my helmet makes me gag, I don't want to wear it.

The CO hat spray works pretty well as a cleaner, not very well as a deodorizer, in my experience.

YMMV

johnnysauntie
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:47 PM
I am tempted to post this under an alter, but what the heck. I use panty liners in my helmets. Put in a fresh one every ride. Just peel & stick. I buy cheap generic ones that are a bit longer. And - important - unscented! Cheap and works really well. I'm a sweater any my helmets aren't stinky. And no, I've not (knocks wood) had any embarrassing slippage incidents.

2tempe
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
charles owen makes a spray "cleaner" that gets foamy, you rub it around w/ a rag and it disappears. Helps a lot, I bought it after moving to Florida AND beginning to wear said helmet again...(new horse, more than a safety epiphany...)

Carolinadreamin'
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:50 PM
During gnat season, we ride with a bounce sheet in our helmets. I bought those little "sneaker balls" that are sold for your gym shoes (around $5 a pair) and place them in my helmet when I'm done riding for that day. Works great.

nickers@dawn
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:53 PM
I am tempted to post this under an alter, but what the heck. I use panty liners in my helmets. Put in a fresh one every ride. Just peel & stick. I buy cheap generic ones that are a bit longer. And - important - unscented! Cheap and works really well. I'm a sweater any my helmets aren't stinky. And no, I've not (knocks wood) had any embarrassing slippage incidents.

:lol::lol::lol:

I can just see it! Johnny hits the grocery store on the way home not knowing when she removed her helmet, the panty- liner was stuck to her head!! That ought to generate some odd looks!!!

SerenaGinger
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:42 PM
In my CO AYR8 I use HeadLine It (http://www.smartpakequine.com/ProductClass.aspx?productclassid=8339&cm_vc=Search) and I'm very happy with them. I'm also in Florida so I use them year-round. I sweat an average amount but I have oily skin, and I've found these to last about two to four weeks. I had previously used the Wicky StickIts and found I like the fuller coverage of the HeadLine Its. My husband sweats a *lot* and would go through one Wicky StickIt per ride. If you sweat tons, the panty liners might be a more economical option.

Marcella
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:50 PM
I like the Smartpak thing. It is inexpensive and I decided to get it while ordering a few other things.

It has worked best for me because I keep my GPA in the little drawstring bag the helmet came with. I do notice my helmet doesn't stink like it used to.

My helmet is also very old. I need to replace it because it is so old and past its expiration date, but it had many years of smell ingrained in it, so if this little odor eater thing could work on mine...

Beau's mom
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:53 PM
I have the helmet thingy...don't notice much difference. I think having 2 helmet is probably the answer. Expensive, but rotating them is probably the answer.

princessfluffybritches
Feb. 7, 2011, 10:54 PM
When I run out of pantyliners, I just use moth balls

Cowgirl
Feb. 8, 2011, 05:38 AM
I have the HeadlineIts for my show helmets. Tried the Sticky Wickets but prefer the HeadlineIt. For my everyday helmet, I do use Safeway unscented panty liners. Four of them, all the way around. LOL!

*Liz*
Feb. 8, 2011, 06:44 AM
I have the helmet thingy...don't notice much difference. I think having 2 helmet is probably the answer. Expensive, but rotating them is probably the answer.

This is my solution :) I ride up to 5 a day, and even when it's cold out and I'm bundled up, working horses end up sweaty and so do I. The only way I cope is by rotating my hats. Thankfully, my sweat doesn't smell too bad so I don't have that issue, but I loathe putting on a sweaty helmet, especially if it's a freezing cold sweaty helmet - yuck!

I've never tried the bag, but I've tried all the sprays and cleaners out there - IMO, none of them do any better of a job then just setting the hat outside to dry and breathe.

johnnysauntie
Feb. 8, 2011, 08:40 AM

I can just see it! Johnny hits the grocery store on the way home not knowing when she removed her helmet, the panty- liner was stuck to her head!! That ought to generate some odd looks!!!

Nickers, I make DANG sure to locate (and throw away) the aforementioned "helmet liner" after each ride!

And point of clarification - I stick the thing to my helmet, not my head! :lol:

Oberon13
Feb. 8, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hmm...some great options! I currently school in my cheap Aegis helmet (which is several years old and a little on the gross side) and save my nice CO for shows and outings. But, since I'm planning on more shows and outings this year, I want the CO to stay nice!

I like the idea of the HeadLine It product...I've tried the panty liners before. Problem is, I don't just sweat on the forehead. I also sweat around my pony tail holder (back of head)...weird, I know. Sweaty helmets are not fun to put back on.

I may try the HeadLine It while riding, then setting helmet in sun to dry, and Febreeze/sneaker ball combo while helmet is stored.

Paddys Mom
Feb. 8, 2011, 10:56 AM
I spray the inside of my helmet occasionally with the enzyme pet cleaner stuff that is recommended for pet accidents.

Oberon13
Feb. 8, 2011, 12:44 PM
The enzyme spray makes sense. Because it's a body fluid (ewww, just writing that makes me cringe a bit) like "pet accidents," I would imagine the enzymes would work well!

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 8, 2011, 12:48 PM
Fabreez works well too. Spray it in the helmet after you take it off.

Sonoma City
Feb. 8, 2011, 03:07 PM
Another (closet) vote for panty liners. I first bought a pack of these "Wicky Stick-it Helmet Liners" (http://www.victorycanter.com/Wicky-Stick-It-Helmet-Liners-p-20908.html), and went duh, I have a solution that's a fraction of the price! It might seem weird but it does the trick!

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
I may be on planet mars because all my helmets for as long as i can remember have had removable liners. I remove the liner in my helmet once a week and wash it with my gloves.
FWIW, the sak thing you posted is just pillowcase material filled with activated charcoal which can be found at any home depot in the pool section for pennies a pound.

Sonoma City
Feb. 8, 2011, 04:04 PM
I may be on planet mars because all my helmets for as long as i can remember have had removable liners. I remove the liner in my helmet once a week and wash it with my gloves.

Removable liners would make way too much sense :P My older helmets used to have removable liners, but none of the new ones seem to. I have a Charles Owen for showing, and a Troxel and IRH for schooling, and none have removable liners. Maybe it's a way for the helmet companies to ensure that people will replace their helmets!

Oberon13
Feb. 8, 2011, 05:40 PM
My CO for showing doesn't have a removable liner, which is what prompted the original question. So, if I increase the amount of showing I do this year (in the summer heat = sweating), I wasn't sure how to keep it "non-offensive." :D

I've never had a pool, and I've never had to buy pool chemicals or supplies, so I didn't think of the activated charcoal in the pool section at Home Depot! Great tip! The product description of the Smart Pak fresh sack says that the carbon helps with smell...and it also has a dessicant. I'm assuming the charcoal from Home Depot is the carbon...what would be the dessicant to help keep the helmet dry in a musty tack room?

Petstorejunkie
Feb. 8, 2011, 09:15 PM
FWIW Ovation helmets have removable liners. I know they are not the hip "in" brand but they are low profile, and ATSM approved. They do make a velvet model too

ridealot
Feb. 9, 2011, 01:42 PM

I laughted so hard my side hurts:lol::lol::lol:
I think it is a good idea and worth trying I just leave mine to dry in the sun before I put it away

Across Sicily
Feb. 9, 2011, 03:09 PM
Peering in from H/J land... I have a CO AYR8 and use the Fresh Helmet Sack from Smartpak.

I'm a HORRIBLE sweater - like to the point that I look like I've showered after riding, my hair is so wet... it's gross. (As a side note I might just try the panty liners... hmmm. Disposal and storage might be an issue, though... despite a private locker!) I don't know why it's that way; I don't sweat as much on my body, but whatever. So despite my helmet basically being wet enough to wring out after every ride, the helmet sack makes it BONE dry by the time I show up the next day. It's quite impressive. Still smells like horse, but you can't have everything! I thought the CO helmet cleaner stuff was completely useless. I'll take my helmet home and give it a nice bath every so often, which helps...

chisamba
Feb. 9, 2011, 08:40 PM
I put my helmet in the dishwasher, ( obviously without dishes,) and with no detergent, from time to time, to get it really clean.

I also have two, three really, and i swap them out as they get too groady.

I think it might be great to try some of the suggestions here, but knowing my luck, i would be the one with the panty liner on my head at the grocery store!

pacificprima
Feb. 9, 2011, 10:46 PM
I thought I would try the Charles Owen spray and foam cleaner since helmets never smell pleasant.
Now I don't know why, but my helmet now gets smellier faster and instead of just smelling sweaty, it smells like nasty sour milk with a hint of cat pee!! (and before you ask it's kept well away from the cats when not in use) It's not cool and I can't figure out any reason why it's starting to smell now other than I've started using the spray...the more it smells the more I try to kill it with the spray with no relief. Marketing maybe? :confused:

buying another helmet is on the list of things to do this month even though this one is only about a year old