PDA

View Full Version : DVD's/books for new to dressage

Mukluk
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hi everyone. I would like to work on some basic dressage with my horse that I am planning to event at the lower levels (to start anyway). She is a green OTTB- needs to learn to move nicely and lose the giraffe neck (sometimes she moves nicely but she is not consistent). I am a very visual person so good basic DVDs would be great, also open to good books that would be helpful. I have just started to work with a trainer but she did not have any DVD/book recommendations. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

springer
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:39 PM
Jenny Loriston Clark (sp?) has a series of training DVDs that are very basic. I have the first two- (starting foals) but I think there are 2 more in the series. I ordered them from Horsevideos.com I think.
Good luck!

naturalequus
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:58 PM
Learn the biomechanics of dressage so you can better implement it...Tug of War has some wonderful visuals (I'm a very visual learner as well) and explains the biomechanics of dressage pretty thoroughly in an easy-to-understand manner. Plenty more books out there if you look though! Check out Sustainable Dressage.net as well for some good info.

EasyStreet
Feb. 5, 2011, 01:21 PM
Books...Centered Riding by Sally Swift DVD's... Train with Jane with Jane Savoie and also...Jane's Riding in Your Minds Eye!!! I LOVE both of them!!! Jane is especially good for newbies as she never assumes you know them terms,movements, ect. so her explainations are very clear and thorough!!:yes::yes:

Mukluk
Feb. 6, 2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks so much! Appreciate what has been offered thus far and if anyone else has something to add I would be very grateful.

carolprudm
Feb. 6, 2011, 12:00 PM
Another good book is Lessons From Lendon by Lendon Gray.
JAneSavoie.com is very good. She has several videos on Youtube and she also has a members only site Dressagementor.com

ETA Maybe it's Lessons with Lendon.

Another good book, if well off te beaten track is Make the Most of Your orse by Jan Dickerson. You can probably get it cheaply on Amazon. Jan used to post here as VernaJan

Eclectic Horseman
Feb. 7, 2011, 10:43 AM
The USDF Guide to Dressage. It is a "must" for anyone beginning in dressage. Too many other books make a lot of assumptions about what you know and what you don't--this one starts from square one.

There are lots of photos and illustrations.

Elegante E
Feb. 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
Walter Zettle's vids, A Matter of Trust, would be good visuals. My only complaint is that he uses average Jane riders who won't show you the very best but they do make it much more accessible. Straight forward and easy to understand what's shown - puts emphasis on the rider, where it should be. You can buy the set or just the first one. His book, Dressage in Harmony, works well with the vids.

Stratosphere
Feb. 9, 2011, 07:45 PM
I love the German National Equestrian Federation's Principles of Riding. The illustrations are great and it was a wonderful foundation for me, recommended by a clinician.

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-National-Equestrian-Federations-Complete/dp/1872119719/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I have also enjoyed 101 Dressage Exercises for Horse & Rider by Jec Ballou.

Jane Savoie's videos are great.

mackandblues
Feb. 10, 2011, 03:14 PM
as a beginner I really liked Sally O'Connor's Common Sense Dressage and Essential Dressage Exercises (or something like that)