PDA

View Full Version : Tips to increase tempo?

Donkey
Feb. 4, 2011, 11:58 PM
I've been working on getting my horse to move her feet more quickly. She's a bit on the lazy side but has excellent natural rhythm. If I let her travel at the pace she prefers, she's tracking up and going at a good speed and rhythm but the tempo is a bit slow. My coach has me working on getting her back end moving quicker (more leg) but I am wondering if anyone has some tips, tricks or visualizations that can help me ride her better and help convey what I am asking.

Hevonen
Feb. 5, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'm working on this too, but only in the canter (our trot needs to gain more suspension, so we focus on not losing impulsion in a slower tempo there). We jump as well, and so need a canter that gives us more options in an approach but doesn't lack energy and get flat.

I found that making sure you're swinging your hips all the way through from cantle to hands (though not digging in your seatbones, which would cause them to drop their back), and ALSO increasing the tempo of your seat movements will encourage your horse to increase his tempo. Make your horse hotter to your aids with quick transitions between lengthened and collected canter on a 20 meter circle, and really be serious about the difference between the two canters. If you need a strong half halt at first to really get their attention, do it! I have a tendency to kinda piddle back into the collected canter- which defeats the purpose. :D

My horse tends to be lazy too, sigh.

BetterOffRed
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:03 AM
You don't say how old your horse is or what level you are at. Sometimes the ability to increase tempo, quicken the back legs or adding suspension is a matter of strength in the hind end.

At the trot, think about combinding leg yield into your changes across your diagonals while you ask for an increase in tempo. This exercise has really helped me to strengthen the back legs while helping the increase in tempo and adding suspension.

If your horse is dull to increasing tempo as for an increase in tempo first then add the diagonal. If your horse is dull to moving over at the leg yield as for that first before asking for the increase in tempo.

Donkey
Feb. 5, 2011, 03:22 PM
You don't say how old your horse is or what level you are at. Sometimes the ability to increase tempo, quicken the back legs or adding suspension is a matter of strength in the hind end.

My horse is 6 and we are novice eventers - so basically showing training dressage, schooling first level. I am working on this at both trot and canter. Thanks for the great tips thus far - any other suggestions?

mickeydoodle
Feb. 5, 2011, 10:49 PM
In the canter, think of "disrupting the rhythm" as in it is ok to make her scurry a little. In the trot try not to disrupt the rhythm- think really slow trot to really fast trot multiple times on a circle.