PDA

View Full Version : Amazing New Spanish Riding School Video!

Mike Matson
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:12 AM
I'm in awe! Professionally produced. There is some footage here that will give you goosebumps! No one does it better than the SRS. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYThblo74hg

leilatigress
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:41 AM
Wonderful video and oi the days of my round robins are far behind me!

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:24 AM
yes, absolutely beautiful. I got to see them when they toured the US a few years back. Wow.

What would be interesting though would be to have today's modern dressage judges score it. Without knowing, somehow, that it was the SRS.

springer
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:54 AM
WOW. Mike, thanks so much for sharing this! I was just awestruck watching it. Absolutely beautiful.

CFFarm
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks Mike. I enjoyed it also. Hard to find fault, but I'm sure some "experts" will.

In the closeup of the horse in the pillars there seemed to be quite a bit of "bounce" to the footing. Anyone know what kind of padding or bottom is under the sand?

And I need chandelliers (sp) like that to ride under!

Cielo Azure
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:22 AM
I watched all 12 minutes -absolutely worth it! Thanks Mike -that one is a classic.

Don Raphaelo Rollkurista
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:36 AM
Thank you Mike.

midkniggit
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
gorgeous

Kyzteke
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:47 PM
OMG -- not one rider is in "water-skiing" position (the fav apparently when asking for an extended trot), not one horse had his chin cranked to his chest, and not one rider is riding the curb every step of the way.

In fact there is even a bell in the reins!

Don't these guys know how to ride?:lol:

MelantheLLC
Feb. 3, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks Mike!

I love the canter pirouettes. Just personal opinion, but I think canter pirouette as done in competition today is the dorkiest, most awkward-looking move. But these pirouettes, while not extravagant, just look smooth and natural.

mjmvet
Feb. 3, 2011, 02:47 PM
That sheepskin sure looks comfy. Perhaps my seat would improve if my seatbones didn't hurt so much! Beautiful video.

netg
Feb. 3, 2011, 03:11 PM
Lovely. So many things I could say giving my inexpert opinion on things they do well....

But my inexpert impressions I'll share are:
1. I want to ride like that. More longe lessons ASAP, please! :D

2. It sure would be nice to be able to see over my horse's back to long line him!

Megsabelle
Feb. 3, 2011, 03:38 PM
Is it wrong that the video made me want to quit my job, fly to Vienna and ride with them for a year? Oh yes, and come back with a white horse in my carry-on? :D

Maybe it is the snow sickness talking, or my stiff TB mare whose trot I still cannot reliably sit to...le sigh.

LuckOfTheIrish91
Feb. 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks Mike. I enjoyed it also. Hard to find fault, but I'm sure some "experts" will.

In the closeup of the horse in the pillars there seemed to be quite a bit of "bounce" to the footing. Anyone know what kind of padding or bottom is under the sand?

And I need chandelliers (sp) like that to ride under!

I too noticed this and was drooling. I wish I had some of whatever they have! It looks heavenly!!!

Quest52
Feb. 3, 2011, 05:16 PM
I have been up for over 24 hours at this point so please forgive me if this isn't true... but are my eyes playing tricks on me? Do the riders carry all of their curb rein in their outside hand predominantly and switch it when they change direction?

I kept trying to look close and to me it really looks like the inside rein is only the snaffle rein, so then I would conclude that you would carry a three finger separation on your outside and just the snaffle on the inside... for? Maybe because it needs to open up at times and the curb does not. This is the only conclusion my scrambled brain is coming to at this moment. Sounds good... but am I seeing this right?

EASY RIDER STABLE
Feb. 3, 2011, 05:23 PM
Bringing us all these wonderful & inspiring video's.

KateWooten
Feb. 3, 2011, 05:31 PM
it wrong that the video made me want to quit my job, fly to Vienna and ride with them for a year? Oh yes, and come back with a white horse in my carry-on?

You can't ! Too short, fat and old (I'm guessing, here, bear with me !) They told us on the tour in December, that they took people within a certain age limit (can't remember what it was) but the height and weight limits were particularly restrictive. Apparently if you're 5ft tall and somewhat round, that doesn't look so good on the little horses. Booo. We saw the new female rider ride in the morning schooling sessions, and she was wonderful :) (but annoying tall and just about weightless).

JanDinWA
Feb. 3, 2011, 05:38 PM
I have been up for over 24 hours at this point so please forgive me if this isn't true... but are my eyes playing tricks on me? Do the riders carry all of their curb rein in their outside hand predominantly and switch it when they change direction?

I kept trying to look close and to me it really looks like the inside rein is only the snaffle rein, so then I would conclude that you would carry a three finger separation on your outside and just the snaffle on the inside... for? Maybe because it needs to open up at times and the curb does not. This is the only conclusion my scrambled brain is coming to at this moment. Sounds good... but am I seeing this right?

The SRS riders all ride 3-1 (both curb reins and one snaffle in one hand and the other snaffle rein in the other hand). I believe that they always have the curb reins in the left hand. One interesting note is that they do use the 2-2 position (one curb rein and one snaffle rein in each hand) when they do the mounted airs above the ground. If I remember correctly it is a safety issue - I think it's easier to drop the reins this way if they fall off or have to bail.

kaluha2
Feb. 3, 2011, 08:32 PM
Mike you are the man! Thank you a million times.

Mike Matson
Feb. 3, 2011, 09:33 PM
I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying this video. :)

I did find out the original of this was produced 10 years ago but it is the first time on YouTube. Anyone recognize some of the riders (I recognize two, but won't say so others can post)?

Megsabelle
Feb. 3, 2011, 09:33 PM
You can't ! Too short, fat and old (I'm guessing, here, bear with me !) .

Are....are you standing behind me?? **looks around in paranoid frenzy**

I'd lose weight *and* grow 6" to ride there! Yeah, somehow....

Isabeau Z Solace
Feb. 4, 2011, 01:29 PM
I want an uber blingy breastcollar and crupper to show in ....

luvmydutch
Feb. 4, 2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you so much for posting this!

I'll BE THERE IN 2 WEEKS!!! My boyfriend is taking me there for my birthday while we're in Europe....:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

dwblover
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:51 PM
Just watched this video and it is so amazing! Loved every minute of it. :D

kaluha2
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:33 AM
Mike:
I can see Arthur plainly and I also recognize the rider in front but can not remember his name.

Mike Matson
Feb. 5, 2011, 08:07 PM
The riders in the quadrille are: Hoyas, Kottas, Bauer, Riegler, Seiberl, Rothleitner, Radnetter, and Hausberger, in that order when they enter.

yankeeclipper
Feb. 5, 2011, 09:07 PM
Incredible.

San Miranda
Feb. 6, 2011, 04:47 AM
Have a look at these video clips. I love the one of the donkeys!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-CGESdnm0k&playnext=1&list=PL300061B935BF702B&index=1

kaluha2
Feb. 6, 2011, 07:16 AM
Mike:

You are the man! Thanks for naming the riders. A great video.

JMurray
Feb. 6, 2011, 08:37 AM
So cool! I just got a Lipizzan. I have a Dutch Warmblood but wanted to experience the "other side" too. I have the extreme luck this year to be able to ride in a New York clinic with Andreas Hausberger the beginning of July and then the end of July a Maryland clinic with Christian Bachinger. To be able to have their help getting to know my Lipizzan and what makes her tick will be invaluable!

dwblover
Feb. 6, 2011, 02:11 PM
I knew I saw Kottas in there somewhere!

mickeydoodle
Feb. 6, 2011, 09:22 PM
Hmm, I might be the one in the crowd that notices the Emperor's clothes.
The horses are beautiful, and do the quadrille well, they are good representatives of baroque type. It is a beautiful exhibition.

Yes, they are great quadrille riders- but if you look at the horses you see significant faults in the gaits during the rides.

1. the walk at the begining shows pacing, no tracking up

2. the trot is frequently impure, sometimes trotting in front, and walking behind. the lateral work shows all toes dragging in the footing, no suspension. There is no extended work to examine.

3. The canter is often a "tranter", the toes dragging in the lateral work. When the horse does the in hand pirouette, the guy on the ground is waterskiing on the reins, the head is behind the vertical and the pirouette is large.

4. the in hand piaffe has an irregular and backward tendancy. The under saddle piaffe same, and a very poor transition to a shuffely passage.

5. in the lateral work, corners, etc there is little bend in the long bodies of these horses.

6. the airs above ground are impure- the levade is supposed to be held for five or more seconds, without the horse touching the ground with a foreleg. The courbette requires 4-5 jumps, the capriole more balance into and out of the movement.

They are lovely horses, and do their job well, but they are not the highest example of dressage.

JMurray
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:21 AM
gosh mickeydoodle, after a long time on my ignore list, I thought I would see what you had to say. Big mistake..you are back on my ignore list. You are always such a party pooper.

Sprouty
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:39 AM
I'm in awe! Professionally produced. There is some footage here that will give you goosebumps! No one does it better than the SRS. :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYThblo74hg

That was lovely so amazing to watch thanks

manentail
Feb. 9, 2011, 10:42 PM
I would love to have an indoor that looked like that

belambi
Feb. 10, 2011, 05:31 AM
Does anyone happen to know if the SRS arena is a standard 20 x 60m
?

I tried googling it but was so gobsmacked by a so called expert site I found!..
http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/horsedressage.shtml
that states standard arena is 20 x 60 FEET!

oldbag
Feb. 10, 2011, 06:36 AM
Hmm, I might be the one in the crowd that notices the Emperor's clothes.
The horses are beautiful, and do the quadrille well, they are good representatives of baroque type. It is a beautiful exhibition.

Yes, they are great quadrille riders- but if you look at the horses you see significant faults in the gaits during the rides.

1. the walk at the begining shows pacing, no tracking up

2. the trot is frequently impure, sometimes trotting in front, and walking behind. the lateral work shows all toes dragging in the footing, no suspension. There is no extended work to examine.

3. The canter is often a "tranter", the toes dragging in the lateral work. When the horse does the in hand pirouette, the guy on the ground is waterskiing on the reins, the head is behind the vertical and the pirouette is large.

4. the in hand piaffe has an irregular and backward tendancy. The under saddle piaffe same, and a very poor transition to a shuffely passage.

5. in the lateral work, corners, etc there is little bend in the long bodies of these horses.

6. the airs above ground are impure- the levade is supposed to be held for five or more seconds, without the horse touching the ground with a foreleg. The courbette requires 4-5 jumps, the capriole more balance into and out of the movement.

They are lovely horses, and do their job well, but they are not the highest example of dressage.

gosh mickeydoodle, after a long time on my ignore list, I thought I would see what you had to say. Big mistake..you are back on my ignore list. You are always such a party pooper.

mickeydoodle speaks the truth. He's a brave man and I admire and agree with him.

The school looks narrow, perhaps only fifteen metres wide.

alibi_18
Feb. 10, 2011, 10:41 AM
Lets remember that this is a 'show' not a competition. They surely have to try their best but the most important thing is to look 'good', do their best and do a fluid presentation.
They can't be 100% perfect presenting this show. It would be freaky if they all had competitive GP level horses performing like Totilas everyday...

The SRS arena is 1000m square (as per their website). So probably 20 x 50m.

Bethe Mounce
Feb. 10, 2011, 12:35 PM
This was absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!

ridealot
Feb. 13, 2011, 09:41 AM
Thank you for posting.....very refreshing to watch .

HSS
Feb. 20, 2011, 07:19 PM
lovely, just lovely. Thank you so much for the link!