PDA

View Full Version : Dean Martin, who knew?

Cielo Azure
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:35 PM
Dean Martin = Cowboy dressage, who knew?
Well...I didn't. Pretty cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_tkAchZMw4

I posted this in the off course section but it has had essentially no views -so as I think it might be more appropriate for this forum.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:41 PM
That was so cool! Had no idea that he was into horses.

Cindyg
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:53 PM
Wow. Some beautiful footage. Thanks for sharing.

MeghanDACVA
Feb. 2, 2011, 11:32 PM
A helmet while he was riding would have been nice ;-)

Feb. 2, 2011, 11:49 PM
A helmet? The way he smoked & drank??? He needed a lot more than a helmet!!! Oxygen & a new liver for starters....

PiaffePlease
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:13 AM
A helmet? The way he smoked & drank??? He needed a lot more than a helmet!!! Oxygen & a new liver for starters....

That made me laugh.

The video was very cool and he looks to know what he is doing. He has very nice Andalusians, and he is a good rider.

Cielo Azure
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:42 AM
That made me laugh.

The video was very cool and he looks to know what he is doing. He has very nice Andalusians, and he is a good rider.

Once I watched this, I had to go google him more closely...all I could find about his Andalusians is that he would occasionally use them in his xmas specials, that he bred them/had a farm in the Sierra foothills over a period of many years.

Actually, he didn't drink hardly at all-it was part of his act.
He did die of lung cancer and he did smoke.
He died in 1995. Born in 1917
Looking at the clothes and his age (55 maybe in the video), i am estimating that this must have been filmed in the early 1970s). I don't know anyone who wore a helmet in the 1970s!

Kyzteke
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:47 AM
A helmet while he was riding would have been nice ;-)

This video was taken long before the nanny state kicked in. We didn't wear helmets back then. And almost no western riders or Spanish riders wear helmets -- even today.

I always liked Dean Martin... had no idea he was into horses. I wonder what happened to his stock....

ThreeFigs
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:30 AM
Agree, Kyzteke. Would be nice to know what happened to them after he passed. Hard to believe it's been so long now.

Beautiful man, beautiful voice.

Cartier
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:29 PM
Thank you for posting this video; what a treat!!!. Arthur and I watched it several times this morning. I’m a huge fan of Dean Martin, have been since I was a little girl. I love his unique voice and admire his talent. I had no idea that he had horses. What I love from the video is that he clearly loved his horses and was hands-on involved with them as a breeder and trainer, rather than just writing checks so that others did it all for him. The tenderness he has for his foals and the stallions really resonates with me, it is the same feeling we have for the horses we own and breed. :)

pony grandma
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:37 PM
I did not know this either - thanks for sharing.

ditto the fact that he was not a drunk. just the act. so you'all can relax. Jack Benny may not have been a miser, Don Rickles could be just a nice guy. Now Ozzie Osborne - he's been there done that. ;)

kaluha2
Feb. 3, 2011, 08:44 PM
OMG! Dean.

He and I could have made beautiful music together and then ridden off into the sunset but NOOOO he had to go and marry what's her name.

His son was also gorgeous and Dean Martin nearly came undone when he died.

2tempe
Feb. 3, 2011, 09:06 PM
Thank you for posting this video; what a treat!!!. What I love from the video is that he clearly loved his horses and was hands-on involved with them as a breeder and trainer, rather than just writing checks so that others did it all for him. The tenderness he has for his foals and the stallions really resonates with me, it is the same feeling we have for the horses we own and breed. :)

I was thinking the EXACT same thing! I dont remember ever knowing this about him, but he obviously had a base of knowledge. I'm sure when he died that they were well provided for...Lovely horses before they became more well known and popular in US.

mimiwenk
Feb. 4, 2011, 10:29 AM
Kaluha2: NO!!! He would have been mine! I loved Dean and love him even more now!

kaluha2
Feb. 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
Listen you---back off.

Gets pretty bad when I'm willing to go to the mat over a dead guy. LOL!

johnnysauntie
Feb. 4, 2011, 11:42 AM
Wow, that was really fun to see! He was a nice rider, too.

paintjumper
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:28 PM
and he could ride the hair off a horse. Some of the actors were bouncing all around...not Dean. He was a great horseman and easy on the eyes and ears too ;)

shalomypony
Feb. 4, 2011, 09:30 PM

:lol:Yeh,seriously folks....???

ThreeFigs
Feb. 4, 2011, 10:25 PM
Well, he played that part so well -- so believable!

Cindyg
Feb. 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
The folks on the E-Iberiean yahoo group think the horses belonged to Garrison ranch, not Dean Martin. Apparently they were show biz friends.

rizzodm
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:29 AM
I love this clip from his show:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo

Dawn

CelticRiverDance
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:26 PM

Not only that but he use to run across the stage and jump onto the top of his grand piano. One time they set him up by making the piano come appart when he landed on it. He hit the stage floor and came up laughing. I don't think he was feeling any pain. I loved his show.:yes:

kaluha2
Feb. 6, 2011, 12:07 AM
The clip I love is when Ruth Buzzi roasted Dean Martin. Classic.

Feb. 6, 2011, 09:09 AM
I have to say that the horse he was riding was super. Great canter.

Eventer55
Feb. 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
Wow, thanks of much!!!

Kyzteke
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
I love this clip from his show:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzAXb7qCCAo

Dawn

Oh, Foster Brooks!! I'd forgotten about him. His act was absolutely hysterical.

Thanks rizzodm -- I laughed out loud on that clip.