PDA

View Full Version : Hello, any Morgan dressage riders/Morgan

QofDressage
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:49 PM
sport horse owners in this forum? I am new to the online Chronicle. I'm a dressage rider who owns, shows and breeds a Morgan horse. Seeking same!

xQHDQ
Feb. 2, 2011, 08:25 PM
I am not a Morgan owner but I love them. I rode at UConn and that's all we had. They have the best brains and try so hard to do what you want. They're hardy and pretty too. Good luck with yours!

quietann
Feb. 2, 2011, 11:50 PM
Mine's rehabbing from a suspensory surgery and has a mixed prognosis at best, but I am a Morgan fan all the way... I bought her for eventing, but neither she nor I can jump anymore. She's a very intense, smart horse, with a lot of spice, like a lot of Morgans. Not a great choice for a first horse, in retrospect, but I'll be crushed if I have to retire her.

She has schooled Second and competed at First, before I bought her, and is a fiend for lateral work. We'd just done training level before her lameness cropped up, with some, um, adventures along the way. We were actually on a break from dressage when it happened, just over a year ago. She had surgery in March and I've been riding her since October, only walk and trot and we have just started doing turns at the trot, trotting all the way around the indoor etc.

Her name is Mythic Feronia, and she's turning 13 this year. And she's beautiful (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/cutter_20oct2009/canter1.jpg), and did I say beautiful (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/july23_2009/trot.jpg)?

Hollyhobbies: I noted that your mare is a Justawee horse. I looked there, back when I was looking in 2008, and actually found a mare I loved (not bred by J), but she got sold before I had a chance to have my horse-expert friend look at her. I really liked that farm and its people, though.

Foxtrot's
Feb. 2, 2011, 11:53 PM
Trudy Northcott from B.C. rode Beaux Heir to GP (many years ago now), but they can do it.

HollysHobbies
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:03 AM
Pretty mare Ann! How fun is a colored morgan!?

There was a GORGEOUS black morgan stallion doing PSG right now...Coal Magic is his name. I saw him at Dressage at Lex. STUNNING horse.

myvanya
Feb. 3, 2011, 10:59 AM
If I wasn't so darn tall :lol:

My horse I grew up with (still have him) is a Morgan. He is going to be 26 this year and is still completely sound and loving life. He was my jumper and if I had all the time and money in the world I would train him more for dressage but instead we just play and I loan him out to others to use whenever I can. (My new guy takes up a lot of time...) I think especially when started off right (meaning not in another discipline) Morgans can be absolutely fabulous dressage horses but....you know...two horse people....three opinions :winkgrin:

knippes
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:26 AM
I'm currently training my three year old Morgan gelding in dressage. We are hoping to try out for the US Para team in a few years. It should be interesting with a morgan, but we are going to give it our best shot.
He is a phenomenal horse, my trainer has called him Saint Copper and one in a million. At three, he stands like a statue when I need him for balance and will stop when I'm riding the second he feels me start to lose my balance. His biggest fault is that he can be a bit lazy, but I'd much rather than, then the alternative. We are having a bit of a challenge trying to get a nice, forward, consistent trot, but it is all my problem, not his. He'd rather trot so that I stay upright and comfortable, not the more forward motion my trainer and I are looking for. We'll get it one of these days though. We've just started to canter, and it well makes up for the trot.
-Kym

Timex
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:28 PM
i ride for a Morgan breeder in upstate NY, and LOVE them! Most of the kids are old government/lippitt lines, with a bit of brunk thrown in for good measure. Great brains (if anything, TOO smart!), athletic, and try thier little hearts out!!

oldernewbie
Feb. 3, 2011, 03:34 PM
My all time, bestest horse of my life was a Morgan. Never rode him dressage, but wish I had him now (he died in 1993 at the ripe old age of 29). He was owned by my family for 26 years, ridden by 3 of my 4 sisters and me. Truly a once in a lifetime horse. If I hadn't found my Arab, I would have looked for another Morgan. They are wonderful horses.

Good luck! and post pix when you can!

mg
Feb. 3, 2011, 04:28 PM
I have a couple friends who ride and show Kennebec morgans. They are the old school style of Morgans (pardon my non-Morgan world language!) and very cool. One of my friends shows her mare 3rd level dressage and they also dabble in sidesaddle, driving, and eventing (they won their BN division at a USEA event this past summer!). They are great horses. There's currently a yearling at the farm who I want to steal! :)

Eclectic Horseman
Feb. 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
Are you aware of this organization?

http://www.morgandressage.org/

Fairly active bulletin board there, too.

JanDinWA
Feb. 3, 2011, 05:28 PM
We have owned 7 Morgans and trained them in dressage. We have 2 now ATMF Supreme Fate (12 years old) and EMR Red Sky (5 years old). Our first 2 Morgans were from the UVM farm and they each lived to be 31 years old. I think we stopped riding them when they were around 26-27 years old. We do quite a bit of trail riding in addition to dressage.

roki143
Feb. 3, 2011, 06:02 PM
I grew up with Morgans (my grandparents were highly involved with the AMHA) and my parents ended up breeding Morgan/TB sporthorses (one of which was my first upper level event horse). I now ride an OTTB, but will always have a fondness for the Morgan breed. I get my fix now with a client's Morgan who I get to ride several times a week and teach on several more. She is the sweetest thing!

Here she is attempting baby counter canter serpentines (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGBgyQypT8) (second time ever!)

BMargieRad
Feb. 3, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hooray for Morgans! Owned and shown them for 30 years (english pleasure, park, western and hunt)! My current one is the first one I have shown dressage--showing first and some second this year! They are the best! Super minds, great work ethic, solid and reliable. Great personalitities and perfect for the amateur. Too bad more people don't realize what a wonderful sport horse the Morgan can be.
Here's a pic from a year ago

http://chronicleofmyhorse.ning.com/photo/tyencdctachamp2009-1?context=user

chebeau
Feb. 3, 2011, 09:12 PM
My Stinky Pony is a Morgan. He has Lippitt lines. He's the traditional bay. Super sensitive, a bit of a smart ass, personality plus, too cute for his own good, sometimes easily offended, big hearted, and a great little horse. Love him.

tbmorgan
Feb. 4, 2011, 02:06 PM
Chebeau, you have just described my Amos to a "T!" :lol:

Amos is, like my screen name implies, a TB/Morgan cross. I bred him myself, and he's coming 6 this spring. He is a lovely blend of both parents, but as he matures, he looks more and more like a full Morgan. He has been a sheer joy to raise and train! Of course, I would have loved him no matter what, as he's the son of my "heart" horse, but as it turns out, he truly is an especially nice little horse and I'm loving every step of the journey with him!

Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivendellsportmorgans/5414875121/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivendellsportmorgans/5415485464/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivendellsportmorgans/5415485520/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rivendellsportmorgans/5415485570/

Katja

exvet
Feb. 4, 2011, 03:22 PM
Well I am another one who comes from a family who was heavily involved with morgans (multiple generations and decades). I only have one horse at this time that can claim any morgan heritage and that is my morgan x welsh cob mare. She is definitely a fantastic all- rounder. Her half-passes are to die for and many comment on how fancy she is. Honestly though her best attribute is the fact that I can put anyone on her and not have to worry. She gears up or down to the level and ability of the rider. She's definitely one of those priceless family members.

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 03:32 PM
Hey, Ann, it's Marthe! I started this thread the other day. xoxo

pattnic
Feb. 4, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hi there! Welcome to the forums. Does anyone else feel like it's "Morgan Week?" LOL

Anyway, there are quite a few of us Morgan lovers lurking around here.

I have two Morgans (one a Reserve World Champion); my "farm name" is Gratis Park Sport Morgans. I don't focus on primarily on dressage from a competition standpoint, but I do try to keep my flatwork more dressage-based, rather than the standard hunter-esque "hack." I primarily compete in the jumpers, some hunters (if it is the only thing readily available to me), and will be making a foray into the eventing world with my gelding. He said that he wants to be an event pony. Both my horses are trained to both ride and drive.

One of the best things about Morgans is definitely their brains - they're smart enough to take care of those who need it, and smart enough to know when to do otherwise - teehee! My BF initially learned how to ride on my then-3YO gelding.

I have lots of pics, but they're mostly on FB. I also talk about them a lot in my blog: http://laughingdownthelines.blogspot.com/

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks so much! Love my Sigi (Statesmans Signature). He's at www.aboutsigi.com if you want to check him out. Are you still riding?

ridergal63
Feb. 4, 2011, 04:09 PM
i am the owner of nine warmbloods ages 7 1/2 months to 26 years of age. my last morgan died 1 1/2 years ago and i miss
her terribly. she and i showed in open dressage and evented.
when she wasn't mad at me, we always won. i grew up
with morgans and they will spoil the stew out of you. i think
they are the best as katja's boy will attest.

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 07:50 PM
Hi, where do you show? I am in USDF Region 8, NY, New England, and there is a Morgan Individual Breed Class at the NEDA Finals Breed show in September in Saugerties. There is also a Morgan IBC Class at Dressage at Devon which should be held Sept. 28th this year in Devon, PA. Bring your Morgan if you are in the area! We doubled the entries this past year. There is also the Morgan Dressage Association (www.morgandressage.org) which is great to join, and they have a great Yahoo group (morgandressage@yahoogroups.com) run by the MDA which is really active.

Yay, other morgan lovers! Welcome!

I just "returned" to a morgan--this is my new prospect (http://theheartofahorseblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/reesemy-grand-prix-prospect.html)...she's been under saddle 3 months now! Her intelligence, sensitivity and focus are almost unnerving. I rode many morgans growing up and I'm glad to be "home" again--this one's DEFINATELY the most challenging horse I've ever owned, but she's got a lot of presence and pizzaz!

Hopefully, she'll begin showing Intro/Training this year...maybe First by Fall... although our goal is to move up up up to the top!

We'll also try out the Morgan breed shows!

Hope to see you at the shows!

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 07:55 PM
I will look the horse up! That is great, and yes they can do it!

Trudy Northcott from B.C. rode Beaux Heir to GP (many years ago now), but they can do it.

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:02 PM
Congrats on your accomplishment! You went to the Grand Nationals in Ok City, I imagine? I took my Morgan stallion Sigi (Statesmans Signature) there in 2007, I had him exactly one year to the day & we won Reserve Champion Training Level. I was THRILLED, and hope to go back in a year or so to do 3rd or 4th.

Hi there! Welcome to the forums. Does anyone else feel like it's "Morgan Week?" LOL

Anyway, there are quite a few of us Morgan lovers lurking around here.

I have two Morgans (one a Reserve World Champion); my "farm name" is Gratis Park Sport Morgans. I don't focus on primarily on dressage from a competition standpoint, but I do try to keep my flatwork more dressage-based, rather than the standard hunter-esque "hack." I primarily compete in the jumpers, some hunters (if it is the only thing readily available to me), and will be making a foray into the eventing world with my gelding. He said that he wants to be an event pony. Both my horses are trained to both ride and drive.

One of the best things about Morgans is definitely their brains - they're smart enough to take care of those who need it, and smart enough to know when to do otherwise - teehee! My BF initially learned how to ride on my then-3YO gelding.

I have lots of pics, but they're mostly on FB. I also talk about them a lot in my blog: http://laughingdownthelines.blogspot.com/

Bayou Roux
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hey, who started the Morgan party and didn't let me know?

We've got 'em, wouldn't do anything without them. Nipping at the very, very fine heels of Sigi, our stallion, Sonny, made his in-hand debut this summer at WNYDA's Dressage at Paduka Run, and went out again at Dressage at Devon. What fun!

Sonny's little brother, Sherman, is my personal monster, coming 4, so ready to get to work this year-- hope to see you all out there in Region 8!

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:12 PM
Good luck, Kym! What is your boy's breeding? I'd love to look him up. There is a great Morgan dressage chat group (morgandressage@yahoogroups.com) that you can join. It is run by the Morgan Dressage Association (morgandressage.org). Would love to hear more about you both!

I'm currently training my three year old Morgan gelding in dressage. We are hoping to try out for the US Para team in a few years. It should be interesting with a morgan, but we are going to give it our best shot.
He is a phenomenal horse, my trainer has called him Saint Copper and one in a million. At three, he stands like a statue when I need him for balance and will stop when I'm riding the second he feels me start to lose my balance. His biggest fault is that he can be a bit lazy, but I'd much rather than, then the alternative. We are having a bit of a challenge trying to get a nice, forward, consistent trot, but it is all my problem, not his. He'd rather trot so that I stay upright and comfortable, not the more forward motion my trainer and I are looking for. We'll get it one of these days though. We've just started to canter, and it well makes up for the trot.
-Kym

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:23 PM
Hi, Timex, where do you ride? Sigi is that exact same type of breeding, Govt./Early New England/Brunk. Would love to see some photos. Please check out the Morgan Dressage Association (morgandressage.org) to find like-minded people.

Marthe (owned by Statesmans Signature)

i ride for a Morgan breeder in upstate NY, and LOVE them! Most of the kids are old government/lippitt lines, with a bit of brunk thrown in for good measure. Great brains (if anything, TOO smart!), athletic, and try thier little hearts out!!

knippes
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:26 PM
Copper (JS Really Smoke N) is out of a Triple S Stallion Silver Smoke and Eldar's Really Elegant. His breeder is SJ Morgans out of LaPorte, Colorado. She did a fantastic job with his initial training. Here is a link to his pedigree.
http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/index.php?query_type=horse&h=JS+REALLY+SMOKE+N&g=5&cellpadding=0&small_font=1&l=
I think he's pretty special, and get the feeling that a lot of other Morgan owners feel the same. I've only owned him since May, and already, it has been the journey of a lifetime.

-Kym

QUOTE=QofDressage;5403749]

Good luck, Kym! What is your boy's breeding? I'd love to look him up. There is a great Morgan dressage chat group (morgandressage@yahoogroups.com) that you can join. It is run by the Morgan Dressage Association (morgandressage.org). Would love to hear more about you both![/QUOTE]

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:26 PM
It's Marthe Reynolds, I started this party a few days ago and got 20 replies immediately! How are the kids? Will we see you again at Dressage At Devon in the Morgan IBC Class? I hope so. I LOVE your stallion, I wanted to take him home with us.

Can't wait to meet Sherman, where are you showing first this year?

Marthe

Hey, who started the Morgan party and didn't let me know?

We've got 'em, wouldn't do anything without them. Nipping at the very, very fine heels of Sigi, our stallion, Sonny, made his in-hand debut this summer at WNYDA's Dressage at Paduka Run, and went out again at Dressage at Devon. What fun!

Sonny's little brother, Sherman, is my personal monster, coming 4, so ready to get to work this year-- hope to see you all out there in Region 8!

quietann
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:29 PM
Hi, Timex, where do you ride? Sigi is that exact same type of breeding, Govt./Early New England/Brunk. Would love to see some photos. Please check out the Morgan Dressage Association (morgandressage.org) to find like-minded people.

Marthe (owned by Statesmans Signature)

And Feronia is very similarly bred, and she and Sigi have the same tail-female line... except Feronia has Kingston and PARK horses in her background on top, which lends a certain refinement and a lot of sparkle.

QofDressage
Feb. 4, 2011, 08:30 PM
They are really beautiful. There is a whole gang of them! Which is the 3rd level morgan, do you know?

Marthe

I have a couple friends who ride and show Kennebec morgans. They are the old school style of Morgans (pardon my non-Morgan world language!) and very cool. One of my friends shows her mare 3rd level dressage and they also dabble in sidesaddle, driving, and eventing (they won their BN division at a USEA event this past summer!). They are great horses. There's currently a yearling at the farm who I want to steal! :)

oldernewbie
Feb. 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks so much! Love my Sigi (Statesmans Signature). He's at www.aboutsigi.com if you want to check him out. Are you still riding?

I looked at Sigi's pedigree and got a little pang in my heart. His grand-dam, on sire's side, Fleur de Lis, was bred by the same fellow that bred my horse of a lifetime, E. H. Erb. They were born the same year - both named with "F" and French names. My guy was Faute de Mieux. They're not related but were surely pasture mates. Wow what a trip down memory lane!

Your stallion is wonderful. He's just what I like to see in a Morgan - typy but not coarse and obviously athletic. Wow!

Hmmm, wonder if I can swing two horses? My Arab is so close in temperament to Faute de Mieux, but still gotta love that Morgan look!! :yes:

Audrey79
Feb. 5, 2011, 12:01 PM
I have a Morgan gelding who is the BEST horse--after having him I can never go to another breed. He is by Equinox Crescendo and schooled to solid 3rd level and starting some 4th. I work with a nationally known trainer on the East Coast and she adores him, he definitely has talent for the GP with a canter to die for. He has better movement then some of the Warmbloods I've ridden :D

The best thing about my Morgan is that he is exceptionally smart and very, very bonded to me. When he sees me coming he gets all excited like a dog would! He knows my voice and whenver he sees my car drive up he starts calling to me. I cannot imagine having another horse and I shudder to think of the day that I lose him . . . this horse would do anything for me and I feel invincible on him.

mg
Feb. 5, 2011, 01:32 PM
They are really beautiful. There is a whole gang of them! Which is the 3rd level morgan, do you know?

Marthe

Kennebec Ladyhawke

Bayou Roux
Feb. 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
It's Marthe Reynolds, I started this party a few days ago and got 20 replies immediately! How are the kids? Will we see you again at Dressage At Devon in the Morgan IBC Class? I hope so. I LOVE your stallion, I wanted to take him home with us.

Can't wait to meet Sherman, where are you showing first this year?

Marthe

Hi Marthe!
You know we love your Sigi, too! He's the coolest!

Sonny will definitely be back at Devon this year, and maybe with his full sister, Foxwin Easter Eve (2) and full brother Sherm-- why not?! No, seriously, it'll depend on how the local thing goes first-- NYSMHS show in June and Cayuga Dressage show in July. If we've got a sane, mature young gelding, then, sure Sherm should hit the road. If not, well, we'll stay home and practice for a smashing debut next year!

Everyone is hanging in there through this stinky winter. We did lose Sonny's sire, Tank, last week. He went gently at age 28, and we were so grateful for everything he brought us, but it is a little sadder around here without him. :sadsmile:

Looking forward to a visit from you some lovely spring day! Same goes for all you Morgan fans, particularly in u/s NY!

CelticRiverDance
Feb. 6, 2011, 12:40 AM
I'm riding a 22 year old black Morgan/Percheron cross and love him. I've had him since he was 17 and he will be with me forever. Great cross. Gotta love the personality and strong bond you develop with these horses. I'd love to have another one a little younger. Hard to find though. Conner a/k/a RiverDance is the best. :yes: Even at his age we still trail ride and show. He loves the trails and shows off at the shows. He thinks he's hot stuff and he's right!:winkgrin:

quietann
Feb. 6, 2011, 01:11 AM
Kennebec Ladyhawke

She is a lovely horse; I saw her at UNH Dressage in June 2009. Was there with Feronia and my trainer just to school.

QofDressage
Feb. 6, 2011, 03:16 PM
Are you aware of this organization?

http://www.morgandressage.org/

Fairly active bulletin board there, too.

I know the MDA (Morgan Dressage Association). Best 15.00 per year I have ever spent. They give yearly scholarships, yearly awards, have a quarterly newsletter that isn't b.s. Really good organization, and also the MorganDressage@yahoogroups.com is pretty feisty! I recommend Morgan dressage riders to look into the MDA & the chat room. Ya can't go wrong for 15 bucks (10.00 per year for Jr/Young Riders.)

QofDressage
Feb. 6, 2011, 03:29 PM
I have gone to Allbreeds and looked up every Sigi relative. I am addicted to Allbreeds! I look up everyone's horses (it is a little obsessive, I know). Looking forward to see your boy. Do you know why the Erbs named them with French names? Just wondering.

And in my own opinion, there is nothing, NOTHING, like a Morgan. They are the best-kept secret, America's original Warmblood.

I looked at Sigi's pedigree and got a little pang in my heart. His grand-dam, on sire's side, Fleur de Lis, was bred by the same fellow that bred my horse of a lifetime, E. H. Erb. They were born the same year - both named with "F" and French names. My guy was Faute de Mieux. They're not related but were surely pasture mates. Wow what a trip down memory lane!

Your stallion is wonderful. He's just what I like to see in a Morgan - typy but not coarse and obviously athletic. Wow!

Hmmm, wonder if I can swing two horses? My Arab is so close in temperament to Faute de Mieux, but still gotta love that Morgan look!! :yes:

ASB Stars
Feb. 6, 2011, 03:32 PM
And in my own opinion, there is nothing, NOTHING, like a Morgan. They are the best-kept secret, America's original Warmblood.

I respect your opinion- and I love Morgans, as well. I also love your stallion- he is simply wonderful! However, I am thinking American Saddlebreds might be the original American warmblood.:winkgrin:

and...our registry is older than yours....

Just sayin' :lol:

QofDressage
Feb. 6, 2011, 03:38 PM
So sorry about Tank, that his sad for you. Can't even imagine it, you are in my thoughts. On the up side, I can't wait to see your kids again at Devon! Am hoping for double-digit entries this year, 10 or even 20 is do-able as we are getting the word out! I will be contact for the class, MDA will sponsor (by the way, are you a member of Morgan Dressage Association? It is super-cheap to join. Go to morgandressage.org to check it out). Kisses to the ponies, I'd love to come visit when this awful weather breaks.

Marthe

Hi Marthe!
You know we love your Sigi, too! He's the coolest!

Sonny will definitely be back at Devon this year, and maybe with his full sister, Foxwin Easter Eve (2) and full brother Sherm-- why not?! No, seriously, it'll depend on how the local thing goes first-- NYSMHS show in June and Cayuga Dressage show in July. If we've got a sane, mature young gelding, then, sure Sherm should hit the road. If not, well, we'll stay home and practice for a smashing debut next year!

Everyone is hanging in there through this stinky winter. We did lose Sonny's sire, Tank, last week. He went gently at age 28, and we were so grateful for everything he brought us, but it is a little sadder around here without him. :sadsmile:

Looking forward to a visit from you some lovely spring day! Same goes for all you Morgan fans, particularly in u/s NY!

QofDressage
Feb. 7, 2011, 02:23 PM
I respect your opinion- and I love Morgans, as well. I also love your stallion- he is simply wonderful! However, I am thinking American Saddlebreds might be the original American warmblood.:winkgrin:

and...our registry is older than yours....

Just sayin' :lol:

He's pretty amazing!

tabula rashah
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:56 PM
Here is my 16 year old Morgan mare Belle (http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs284.snc3/27848_1402493454665_1002193261_31183049_8076378_n. jpg) doing a Training Level test last spring.

And here is my other Morgan girl who I have high hopes for (she's a DJJJ's Ebony Gold daughter who I got from a rescue)
Esme (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tabula_rashah/3725381168/in/set-72157604332424156/)

oldernewbie
Feb. 7, 2011, 10:03 PM
I have gone to Allbreeds and looked up every Sigi relative. I am addicted to Allbreeds! I look up everyone's horses (it is a little obsessive, I know). Looking forward to see your boy. Do you know why the Erbs named them with French names? Just wondering.

I never met the Erbs so never had a chance to talk to them about the names they chose. Only learned about it from FdM's trainer. He's on all breed pedigree now - I have to dig up a picture and scan it for the record.

JumasMom
Feb. 10, 2011, 10:30 AM
Another Morgan Dressage person checking in. I own Mythic Juma, who is a half brother to Mythic Feronia. We're competing at Second, schooling Third. I train with Cathy Echternach, who took Black Tie to GP (he's 24 now and she took him out this past Summer in a competitive Open PSG class and won the class!). Also at my barn are the following Dressage Morgans: Whipporwill Dorado (I-1), GKB Coal Magic (coming out at I-1 this year), Magnetic Top Copy (I-1), Blue and White Raven (Fourth), and a few promising youngsters as well. You need to find the right Morgan to do dressage; some of them just don't have the reach for the extensions needed at the Upper Levels. But, isn't that the case with any breed? They're a great horse!

quietann
Feb. 10, 2011, 10:24 PM
/waves hi to Juma's mom.

Good news on the Feronia front: she's been in rehab for a chronically inflamed suspensory that had surgery done on March 10 last year. Rehab has gone very slowly and I ended up not riding her for 8 months. Got back on her in early November and was confronted with a lot of pain issues. SI injections helped and Robaxin (a muscle relaxant) is enough to keep her off Bute. We were trotting a little by mid-December and went to full circuits of the indoor by mid-January.

She's not 100% sound, but the vet did another U/S today and it shows that she is continuing to heal, slowly, but it's happening. He's cleared us for changing directions at the trot and large (25 m) circles at the trot, and wants me to work her up to 15 minutes trotting over the next few weeks... and if that goes well, we get to CANTER! Cantering is her very, very (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/cutter_22oct2009/canter2.jpg) favorite gait (http://annsrats.com/horses/feronia/cutter_27oct2009/canter.jpg). It should happen around the one-year anniversary of her surgery.

QofDressage
Feb. 11, 2011, 12:17 PM
Please give her a hug from me and from Sigi. xo Marthe

QofDressage
Feb. 11, 2011, 12:25 PM
Hi, there! Thanks for checking in! There is a sport horse show coming in September, Sept. 9 & 10. If you go to www.ecmshc.org, you will find the classes for the East Coast Morgan Sport Horse Classic. It is in Doswell, VA, just north of Richmond. It is near(ish) you; hope to see you there! Please give my best to Cathy & Lucy. I just met them in 2010. Great people, great riders, great Morgans!

Marthe
www.aboutsigi.com

Another Morgan Dressage person checking in. I own Mythic Juma, who is a half brother to Mythic Feronia. We're competing at Second, schooling Third. I train with Cathy Echternach, who took Black Tie to GP (he's 24 now and she took him out this past Summer in a competitive Open PSG class and won the class!). Also at my barn are the following Dressage Morgans: Whipporwill Dorado (I-1), GKB Coal Magic (coming out at I-1 this year), Magnetic Top Copy (I-1), Blue and White Raven (Fourth), and a few promising youngsters as well. You need to find the right Morgan to do dressage; some of them just don't have the reach for the extensions needed at the Upper Levels. But, isn't that the case with any breed? They're a great horse!

JumasMom
Feb. 11, 2011, 02:37 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Feronia. She's a neat mare. I'm sure she'll come back; Morgans always do!

Marthe, Cathy did mention to me something about that Sport Horse show in September. I've checked out the website and will keep it in my thoughts. Maybe we can get a Sugarloaf group to go down. Are you too far from Dressage at Lexington to compete? They always do a decent Morgan In Hand Class and have Morgan Performance Awards. They really support the breed at that show, and its a fabulous show in its own right!

yankeeclipper
Feb. 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
My first love was a Morgan mare named Pegaus. I don't own one now but love the breed. Leased one for about 10 years. Sadly he has taken a trip down the Rainbow Bridge. He was a great friend and companion for many years. I had a lot of fun with that horse. He was so kind and honest.

QofDressage
Feb. 12, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi, Lex is pretty far for us, I am closer to the New England Morgan shows, but I need to make sure the footing is good, and I don't want to have to stay at a show for 4 days in order to get an award!! I think that's crazy, and I have been speaking to the show managers about that situation. I prably would do one other Morgan show, otherwise we go to New Jersey Horse Park and Saugerties shows, and sometimes I go to the Windy Hollow shows in Augusta, NJ. It would be great to get a crew down to the Sport Horse show! Please think about it, and we'd certainly love to see you at the Morgan class at Dressage At Devon. Looks like September will be a heavy show month for us.

Marthe

I'm so sorry to hear about Feronia. She's a neat mare. I'm sure she'll come back; Morgans always do!

Marthe, Cathy did mention to me something about that Sport Horse show in September. I've checked out the website and will keep it in my thoughts. Maybe we can get a Sugarloaf group to go down. Are you too far from Dressage at Lexington to compete? They always do a decent Morgan In Hand Class and have Morgan Performance Awards. They really support the breed at that show, and its a fabulous show in its own right!

Kelanbec
Mar. 13, 2011, 04:52 PM
I own a 7 yo Morgan and am new to the forum myself. I've always been a 16hh big horse person until I got Mardi. People always underestimate my 14.3 guy but he's the one who will get the job done. The best are their personalities. They are like 4 legged people!! It's not just mine either- it seems to be breed wide. I had not really ever heard anything about them until I bought one. One look into his eyes and I was done. Brought him home and now I'm hooked!!

Ember
Mar. 14, 2011, 02:41 PM
Did someone say Morgan?

I've been riding and breeding sport Morgan's for 20 years.

Here's my first horse, she was a Ulendon grandaughter and we evented novice, many moons ago.....

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2826692310070763158xVYJVO?vhost=pets

Here is her granddaughter winning her AA class at Pebble Beach (not me riding, I'm now old and fat and don't jump much anymore :) I'm trying to find a free lease for her if anyone knows anyone in the area brave enough to do some showjumping or eventing with her.

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab129/ulendon/Brightwater%20Ember/EmberPebbleBeach.jpg

And my dressage mare. The last few years we focused on the jumper and I've only done one schooling show with her at first level. No under saddle pics though. I guess I'm a bad mommy. This year we will hopefully do more.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1349575806070763158yjoiZf?vhost=pets

They both have great personalities Ember is "spicy" but smart and bombproof and her half sister, Athena, is gorgeous and super sweet but a bit of a ditz. Morgans definitely each have their own distinct personalities!

crazyhorses
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:15 PM
I have a mare that I believe might be a morgan cross. Brilliant mare, does everything I ask of her. I do want to venture into the dressage ring with her. Her canter is So naturally round. Trot needs some work though.

She moves like a carriage horse when she's in turnout, but tones her gaits down a bit with a rider on. So possibly lower level dressage and some hunter shows. I ADORE this mare!

netg
Mar. 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
I have a mare that I believe might be a morgan cross. Brilliant mare, does everything I ask of her. I do want to venture into the dressage ring with her. Her canter is So naturally round. Trot needs some work though.

She moves like a carriage horse when she's in turnout, but tones her gaits down a bit with a rider on. So possibly lower level dressage and some hunter shows. I ADORE this mare!

I want to see!!!!

Are you making it to the TDC show this weekend? We're moving by the new house the following weekend!

My trainer rides a Morab who is the cutest thing! She's just pony sized, I think, and it's hilarious to watch my trainer get off my horse and get on her. But she's a fancy mover, and jumping was the most natural thing in the world to her - and helped her flat work a ton. She's getting out both to dressage shows and events, and gets better each time.

shalomypony
Mar. 14, 2011, 08:17 PM
I just bought a morgan x glding.He's sooo cool!He's 15HH,12yrs old and such a good soul!

babyeventer23
Mar. 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
I owned a Morgan when I first started riding - bought him at 19, and he taught me how to ride. We started with the very basics, and ended up schooling up to training level eventing by the time I moved away and had to sell him.

He is now owned by a therapeutic riding facility, and I visit him every time I go home. He will be turning 30 this May!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035402&id=1355228629#!/photo.php?fbid=1230715612094&set=a.1230715452090.2035402.1355228629&theater

Sorry for such a long link, but there is a pic of my Cody boy!

QofDressage
Mar. 16, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hi! So sorry I lost your email info. There is a Sigibaby for sale on our website (www.AboutSigi.com) named Royal Signature (a/k/a Loui). He does w/t/c, has been over low jumps and looks a lot like Daddy although he is narrower in the beam, more like a TB. If you call me at 917 674 1534 or email me at marthe@aboutsigi.com I can put you in touch with his owner, or her email is on the Offspring page under Loui's name. I'd be happy to connect you both, however!

Marthe

allegro18
Mar. 16, 2011, 11:23 PM
I owned a Morgan when I first started riding - bought him at 19, and he taught me how to ride. We started with the very basics, and ended up schooling up to training level eventing by the time I moved away and had to sell him.

He is now owned by a therapeutic riding facility, and I visit him every time I go home. He will be turning 30 this May!!!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035402&id=1355228629#!/photo.php?fbid=1230715612094&set=a.1230715452090.2035402.1355228629&theater

Sorry for such a long link, but there is a pic of my Cody boy!

Wow, what a small world--I currently care for Cody!

Came on this thread because I just bought a 3.5 year old Morgan named Jack in December, and am planning on using him for dressage and eventing. While reading through, noticed the post about a Morgan named Cody now with a therapeutic riding center, thought "Wow, could there be two?", clicked on the picture and went "It's the Cody I know!" Though I must say, it's pretty amazing/amusing to see a picture of him jumping 3'--he's now content to shuffle along in the walk, and takes some convincing that he needs to trot. I'm the barn manager at the center where Cody lives now, and can attest that he is the 'stately gentleman' of our herd, and a pleasure to take care of.

Cody really is a saint of a horse, takes amazing care of his rider, is easy for our horse leaders to work with. He was also invaluable to me when I brought home Jack--Jack was nervous and confused, and having a steady eddy like Cody to put in the next stall to show him the ropes was the best thing ever. Cody is an excellent example of the versatility and spirit of the Morgan horse!