PDA

View Full Version : What Helmets are you buying?

buckypony
Feb. 2, 2011, 12:22 PM
I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be buying new show helmets this year, if you haven't already. What helmets are you seeing most in the Dressage world? What brands are you considering buying or have you bought?
Thanks for you input!

dghunter
Feb. 2, 2011, 01:14 PM
I have a pink troxel for schooling :D Love it! I love the fun color too. I have a CO GR8 for showing. It's black/black (it has a stripe but it's the same color as the rest of the helmet) and looks very conservative and nice :yes:

Pony Fixer
Feb. 2, 2011, 05:04 PM
I have 2 helmets, the CO AYR8 (it gets HOT here), and the COGR8 that is black with the charcoal stripe. They fit my head well, and are pretty enough.

jcotton
Feb. 2, 2011, 05:14 PM
Will be showing in my IRH (charcoal/black or black/charcoal), the vented model. Color is not important, my helmet fits me correctly.

paintlady
Feb. 2, 2011, 06:56 PM
My dressage show helmet is a Charles Owen Showjumper. I like the Hampton a lot too, but got a sweet deal on the Showjumper.

netg
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Tiperrary helmets fit me well for schooling (I wish Troxels did, because they can be so obnoxious in a very FUN way, and you bet I'd be sporting one of the most obnoxious ones!)

I have some sort of IRH velvet helmet. It has the dial in the back, which I didn't really care about - but it fits my head *perfectly* and has hidden vents in it, which is key in the AZ heat!

Covergirl15
Feb. 2, 2011, 07:19 PM
Well, for schooling, I have a CO GR8 and I have a CO AYR8 for shows. I really like them both, they fit well, and I have a round face so they are very flattering too. As far as what other people show in in my area, I see a few IRHs and GPAs, but a lot of just velvet.

Pely
Feb. 2, 2011, 10:34 PM
I really like my Troxel Reliant. It is so comfortable that I forget that I am wearing it.
I have the Troxel Spirit for everyday. It is nice, but not as comfortable as the Reliant

Velvet
Feb. 3, 2011, 11:08 AM
I'll probably wear my ugly but comfortable Tipperary at the shows now. I have a very pretty velvet covered helmet that is approved and I used it with green horses at the lower levels, but who cares anymore? If we're all going for function only, I'll just save my head some extra sweating in the summer and do the Tipperary. (It's also inexpensive to replace if damaged, but works as a brain bucket!)

Justmyluck
Feb. 3, 2011, 12:56 PM
I have a Tippery for Schooling in hot humid Florida and my CO Hampton for showing. Its one of the few that don't make my head look like it has its own gravitational field. I need a new CO though I fell in it once and hit my head. To replace it I'll just get another Hampton its SO comfy until it gets to hot.

Gestalt
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:01 PM
I have a Tipp for schooling/hacking and a velvet cover for it in case I get the urge to show. If I was serious about showing I would look for an attractive helmet that would stay cool. My head gets way to hot even with the long vents in the Tipperary.

tartanfarm
Feb. 3, 2011, 01:06 PM
I'd love to know what the difference is? If all these helmets are ASTM approved, and all have to be replaced after a fall, is there a safety difference between the $47 helmet and the $500 one. As in most things, there probably is ,but what?

Is there some kind of rating system or consumer test results ?

paintlady
Feb. 3, 2011, 04:34 PM
I'd love to know what the difference is? If all these helmets are ASTM approved, and all have to be replaced after a fall, is there a safety difference between the $47 helmet and the $500 one. As in most things, there probably is ,but what?

No difference as far as safety rating. There aren't "grades" of ASTM/SEI ratings. The difference is in the materials used - real velvet, titanium, leather, etc.

Invite
Feb. 4, 2011, 01:07 PM
Charles Owen fits my head the best. Right now I have the CO GR8 and the CO Hampton Classic (I think that's what it's called). My Hampton is my at home helmet and my GR8 is my "trailer" helmet. I'm trying to decide between the AY8 and the GR8 for my next helmet.

I will only wear CO helmets because they fit me so well. For my last bad accident, I was wearing a helmet that didn't fit quite right. I had it shimmed with maxi pads :rolleyes: I was riding a green horse with a bad bolt and very bad bronc type habits, leaping in the air while bucking and refusing to quit until you ate dirt. Hmmm...great horse to ride with the maxi pad helmet! Yes, I was STUPID:yes: I ended up with a concussion, broken ribs, and a relapse of my neurological problems. 5 days in the hospital because I didn't want to use my "good" GR8 at home and ruin it! Yes, you can call me an idiot!

gldprimr
Feb. 6, 2011, 01:01 PM
First - I have an XLG head (size 7 3/4) so sizing availability dictates what I purchase to a large extent. I purchased a Charles Owen Pro Skull helmet for X Country last year & a GR8 for stadium & dressage earlier this month.

The Charles Owens are a bit more expensive than some others, but fit me well & are as comfortable (for me) as anything I'm likely to find. After that, they seem well constructed so I feel that I am actually getting the head protection that I purchased them for.

citydog
Feb. 6, 2011, 01:10 PM

There used to be one in the UK (done by these folks: http://www.mdirf.co.uk/) and higher price didn't mean better safety. As I recall, one of the best rated was a lowly Troxel whereas the GPAs didn't fare very well. (This was several years ago, so they were testing older models.) All met the minimum standards, though.

MysticOakRanch
Feb. 7, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, I'm seeing a pattern here:lol: Me - Tipperary for schooling, COGr8 for showing. Both are uber-comfortable, although Tippy is cooler - I'm in a hot climate too. If it is raining, I show in my shiny Tippy:lol:

TropicalStorm
Feb. 7, 2011, 02:37 PM
I had a Charles Owen Gr8 but found it SO FREAKING HOT.
So I went out and got a really nice IRH.

poltroon
Feb. 7, 2011, 03:34 PM
I've been showing in my Troxel Sierra (black) because it didn't make sense for me to get a separate helmet just for showing the green bean at training level... and nobody noticed until and unless I specifically asked them if it looked OK.

ToN Farm
Feb. 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
I ordered a CO Hampton and it arrived today. It's too big, even though it's the same size as my toppers. I know I should try them on before buying, but it's unlikely the local places would have my style and size.

I don't even know how they are supposed to fit. It feels ok, but probably isn't secure enough if I were to fall. Are they supposed to almost cover the eyebrows?

Gosh, if this is what a low profile helmet looks like, I'd hate to see the other models. These are gross! Actually, they look bigger to me than the old calientes I evented in.

I was watching skiing competition yesterday, and wondering what kind of helmets they wore. Theirs didn't look as large as the riding helmets.

cuatx55
Feb. 7, 2011, 04:32 PM
I'll probably wear my ugly but comfortable Tipperary at the shows now. I have a very pretty velvet covered helmet that is approved and I used it with green horses at the lower levels, but who cares anymore? If we're all going for function only, I'll just save my head some extra sweating in the summer and do the Tipperary. (It's also inexpensive to replace if damaged, but works as a brain bucket!)

Velvet- I have the Tipperary too, where did you get a helmet cover to fit? most are too long

AND

Does anyone know what (show) helmets are similar to the Tipperary "oval" helmets? I can't wear troxel---thanks

poltroon
Feb. 7, 2011, 05:52 PM
I don't even know how they are supposed to fit. It feels ok, but probably isn't secure enough if I were to fall. Are they supposed to almost cover the eyebrows?

It should be pretty snug, enough so that if you wiggle it your scalp moves with the helmet.

If you're saying it comes down too low, that may be adjustable with padding or it may be that you need a different model.

netg
Feb. 7, 2011, 06:01 PM
Velvet- I have the Tipperary too, where did you get a helmet cover to fit? most are too long

AND

Does anyone know what (show) helmets are similar to the Tipperary "oval" helmets? I can't wear troxel---thanks

If you flip your head upside down with no chin strap the helmet should stay in place. If it's the wrong shape for you, this means it's painful. If it's the right shape for you, it just feels as if your head is being lightly hugged by the helmet.

I can't wear Troxels either - I have huge gaps on each side of my head. My IRH (velvet in my case) fits better than my Tiperrary which fits well and comfortably.

cuatx55
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:06 PM
If you flip your head upside down with no chin strap the helmet should stay in place. If it's the wrong shape for you, this means it's painful. If it's the right shape for you, it just feels as if your head is being lightly hugged by the helmet.

I can't wear Troxels either - I have huge gaps on each side of my head. My IRH (velvet in my case) fits better than my Tiperrary which fits well and comfortably.

I meant the COVER is too long LOL...sorry for the confusion. I have a helmet cover for the old troxel gold and it doesn't work on the tipperary. I would also love to "disguise" the vents if that is at all possible. Could be the helmet is just so slippery that no cover will really work well.

vestito
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:36 PM
CO GR8 In Navy
CO GR8 in Black
and at home a tipperary

johnnysauntie
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:43 PM
CuatX55 - IRH long ovals are great if the rounder models don't fit.

Carolinadreamin'
Feb. 7, 2011, 07:57 PM
There is a velvet cover made just for the Tipperary, I think.

Daughter schools during the hot months in her Tipperary and shows in her CO GR8.

horsefaerie
Feb. 7, 2011, 08:05 PM
I like the look of the Tipperary but no one sells them locally and I am not sure they would be large enough or light enough.

I have a big head and a long slim neck and the Co's felt heavy in the size that fit me.

I had Caliente's and then Internationals, which did not fit great but were light.

Troxels were painful but I wore them until the last one and I just gave up.

I wound up with an Ovation that seems to fit great and is light. I can't remember the style or model.

Invite
Feb. 7, 2011, 08:32 PM
I ordered a CO Hampton and it arrived today. It's too big, even though it's the same size as my toppers. I know I should try them on before buying, but it's unlikely the local places would have my style and size.

Gosh, if this is what a low profile helmet looks like, I'd hate to see the other models. These are gross! Actually, they look bigger to me than the old calientes I evented in.

I was watching skiing competition yesterday, and wondering what kind of helmets they wore. Theirs didn't look as large as the riding helmets.

I have ALWAYS worn a 6 7/8 helmet...until I ventured into CO land. Now I feel like I have a pin head, as in all the CO helmets I've tried on, I'm a 6 3/4!

princessfluffybritches
Feb. 7, 2011, 11:57 PM
I like the look of the Tipperary but no one sells them locally and I am not sure they would be large enough or light enough.

I have a big head and a long slim neck and the Co's felt heavy in the size that fit me.

I had Caliente's and then Internationals, which did not fit great but were light.

Troxels were painful but I wore them until the last one and I just gave up.

I wound up with an Ovation that seems to fit great and is light. I can't remember the style or model.

I just ordered an Ovation-hope it works better than the 15 year old hunter jumper hat I wore yesterday-got dumped twice by a mare with PMS. And yes I did leave helmet dents in the dirt!

Mary Timpone
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:51 PM
I have always had either Charles Owen or GPA. But, I wanted to see if there was something different. I saw the Pegasus helmets at WEG and tried one on. It sold me. I have a difficult to fit head and always thought I was getting the wrong size or something. I must have been because I always bought a 7 and ended up with a 6 7/8 long oval. I paid 300 which I though was a bargain compared to my last GPA. Well. That is my 2 cents.

CatPS
Jul. 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
I have a Tipperary for schooling and a CO Hampton for shows. Need to replace the Tip though as it is several years old, and am trying to decide between the new Tip and the Ovation look-alike.

ANPL
Jul. 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
I, on the other hand, wear a Troxel Sport. It fits me really well and I have had several (due to unexpected "flying lessons"). Wish the Spirit fit me cause I love the color choices. Haven't really tried any others though.:)

Hampton Bay
Jul. 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
I have an IRH SSV, microfiber with the long black vent in the front. The LO sizing fits very similarly to CO, but they run about a size smaller than CO. I love it. Comparable in comfort to the CO skull I had before the IRH.

Right now I am riding in a cheap Troxel though. I fell in the IRH and had to send it off to be replaced. The helmet itself is comfortable, but I hate the harness. I cannot adjust it so it doesn't irritate my ears unless it's so loose it's flopping.

IME that's the main difference in pricing. The harness. The nice contoured, padded harnesses take more time to make, and more money in materials, so that drives the cost up. I've never found a truly cheap helmet with a comfy contoured harness.

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
CO JR8 for shows/clinics and my Tipperary for schooling

Jeito
Jul. 23, 2011, 06:29 PM
I also have the CO JR8. Since I'm "cheap," it's a good thing it's not only the least expensive but also the one that looks best (smallest) on me :D

atr
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:29 PM
Another Tipp for schooling, JR8 for showing here. I'm cheap, too.

I'd venture to guess at the show I was at last week that half the competitors were in JR8s... Cheap and quite attractive, and not painfully hot--it was a stinker of a day, and the warmup ring was outside AND I was riding in the middle of the day, but I was fine.

I had a lesson outside at 1.30 today. When I took my (dark blue) Tipp off at the end of the lesson, it was really hot to the touch on the outside, but all that insulation had kept my head quite comfortable.

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:03 PM
IRH helmet

ShannonLee
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:49 AM
The IRH long oval fits me really well for my schooling helmet.

For show I just got the most beautiful SamShield helmet - it's navy with subtle stripes, and a few swarovski crystals - I am riding it in International competitions it's so pretty. Nice outline, doesn't look like a mushroom, and can be custom fitted.

horsefaerie
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:00 PM
Well wound up with TWO Ovation helmets. One tan, one black.

They fit my large oval head very well and the harness is comfy, they don't hurt the pocket book, have lots of adjustment and seem to be the safest thing out there as far as how they sit (or rather don't)on your neck. Lightweight as well.

I did try the Tipperary and they do fit. Just do not like the shaping around the neck as well.

Eggplant_Dressing
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:18 PM
My helment's dial is breaking after 5-6 years (no falls, knock on wood)...My friend said Im supposed to replace every 2-3 years. Any comments on that piece of advice?

So I'm actually looking to buy a new helment and noticed Dover has a few on sale this month.

Wish I could test drive a few in the heat, most seem black, I think a silver or grey would be better and not hold the heat as much. There are a few models that are black and silver that I'm leaning towards, I'll wear my velvet black hat at shows.

Some seem to cover the whole skull, While others stopbehind the ears. I'm leaning toward the whole skull coverage type, the fitted ones, not the dial this time. The dial catches my hair too often when I take it off.

Vesper Sparrow
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:54 PM
Tipperary for everyday and the IRH skunk stripe imitation for shows (suede with a plastic stripe with vents up the front). I just got the IRH this year and it is significantly cooler than the all-velvet one I had before. It looks OK for the price and is quite comfortable. I tried the IRH Elite (GPA imitiation) but it looked wierd on me.

poltroon
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:59 PM
My helment's dial is breaking after 5-6 years (no falls, knock on wood)...My friend said Im supposed to replace every 2-3 years. Any comments on that piece of advice?

Every 5 years is the standard advice.

myvanya
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:32 AM
Mine is definitely not new (it is verging on needing to be replaced. I think it is 4+ years old now) But I use the same GR8 for showing and for schooling. I have debated getting a vented schooling helmet but CO has ruined me for life. Every time I even try another helmet on my first thought is, "My GR8 is more comfortable and fis me better." So far the Ovations are the only ones I have given any moderately serious consideration to buying since then. I would love to try a samshield but the cost is a bit much for me. Even the GR8 was tough for me to swallow and I am dreading replacing it.

amazon
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
just went from an 8 year old gpa to a samshield. love it... dont even realize i am wearing a helmet and for the first time ever my head isnt soaked after i ride. they are a simple, elegant design (at least the one i got) and can be sized to many heads with snap in pads that come in various widths. truly innovative riding helmets.

GallantGesture
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:14 PM
I love my CO's, they fit me so perfectly! But this summer I finally caved in to get a lighter weight, super vented Ovation. I got the one that looks like the Tipperary helmets, because it had the most vents. I also got it on sale for $30, so I told myself it was a good purchase even if I only wore it a few times or let my bf use it when he comes to ride with me (twice a year). It is not nearly as comfortable as the CO, but once it's on I forget it's on, and the vents make a HUGE difference. I've been wearing it every day, and I think I will save my CO's for showing! I also love how the liner can be removed to be cleaned. I don't sweat nearly as much in it anyways, but it's a nice feature that I wish my CO's had.

cuatx55
Jul. 26, 2011, 02:33 PM

AND

Ended up getting a CO JR8. very similar to the GR8. I still have an original tipperary sportage in the box....tee hee....I'm saving it for when my current one bites the dust. I could be talked into parting with it for a tidy sum....LOL

cadance
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:32 AM
I ride in my CO JR8 every day, and its like a sauna on my head! Everyone seems to like the Tipperarys, but I personally am not a fan of the look. Any suggestions for lighter/ventilated helmets?

SandyUHC
Jul. 29, 2011, 06:22 PM
LOVE the IRH Elite Ultra. Ordered one size down from usual. Fits great, cool, low profile, looks sharp. I got brown for schooling but a friend has black and it is showriffic.

horsefaerie
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:13 PM
The OVation is very light and I think it is vented well.

Not the look of the Tipp.

Sandy M
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
My every day helmet is an IRH - the one that retails for $135-$170 depending upon where you get it. Black microfiber cover. I have an older Troxel Grand Prix (velvet) that lives in my trailer and I only wear for shows.

Xpression
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
just went from an 8 year old gpa to a samshield. love it... dont even realize i am wearing a helmet and for the first time ever my head isnt soaked after i ride. they are a simple, elegant design (at least the one i got) and can be sized to many heads with snap in pads that come in various widths. truly innovative riding helmets.

Really? It's that time for the CO to retire, and I want a new helmet that is cooler, and the samshield's look quite sharp! I read that there is no forehead pressure? Is that true?

SummerJet
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:45 AM
I have an IRH (the one with changeable strips...without a strip it's just clear with black underneath) I think it looks nice and was reasonably priced.

Eggplant_Dressing
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:04 PM
Well, I just ordered a Tipperary 8500 from Dover. It looked liked the best skull coverage and the most vents. My Troxel has been a great helmet for all these years, but I want to get away from that hair-pulling dial, more vents, and more skull coverage. Looking forward to getting my new helmet in the mail this week!